Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,020 members, 7,835,449 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? (22982 Views)

Brazil Vs Spain - Confederations Cup Final (3 - 0) On 30th June 2013 / Nigeria Vs Uruguay - Confederations Cup: (1 - 2) On 20th June 2013 / Nigeria Vs Tahiti - Confederations Cup: (6 - 1) On 17th June 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by pappythinko(m): 9:53am On Jun 24, 2013
Peter Osaze Odewengie has been following the Super Eagles team via His posts on Twitter thus evidencing(if there is any word like that) is interest in the team. He put in some good and encouraging words and I cannot but on the pedestal of this agitate for His reunion wt the team. I hope Keshi get to invite Him in subsequent matches so that we won't be having hearts in our mouth eachtime we parade the likes of ideye, musa, n ujah.

1 Like

Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by collynzo2(m): 9:55am On Jun 24, 2013
timecop28: How easy for all of you to analyse. This shlda been invited, that shlda been called. If 'IFS' and 'BUTS' were goodies and chocolates, we will all have a merry xmas. You same folks were nagging about the 'big boys' not been committed back them so they shld be booted out of the team..Now u are advocating for their return.
Two things that go together..."Nigerians & Hypocrisy"
I tire for una o.
Bros I tire o! Could you imagine people have been suggesting Keshi should invite Ujah and Akpala before and after Afcon? I read kickoff.com a lot and Nigerians have been mentioning even Babatunde's name before Keshi invited him. Now those people have changed their songs. Keshi would do well not to listen to anybody, because those people will abandon him when he carries out their suggestions and fail.
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by fisko(m): 9:59am On Jun 24, 2013
Statistics shows dat Eagles had 42% posesio,Spain had 58.4d past 2yrs no team hv playd against spain wit 42% posesio highest was 31%.Eagles had 5 corner kicks while spain had 6,Eagles playd ova 90mins witout yelow or red cards,Eagles had 8shots at goal while spain had 12.GUD RECORDS,it shws they did wel xcept 4 d strikers who ar wasteful.wot they lack yestda was a CLINICAL FINISHER.
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by Longman313(m): 10:01am On Jun 24, 2013
Honestly?d teams is okay wit time they will understand each other,remeber (rome was not build in a day)
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by Teefabs(m): 10:03am On Jun 24, 2013
Keshi is a big failure
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by Antell95(m): 10:03am On Jun 24, 2013
Bleep super C..................................................H.................................I.................................C...............................K...............EEEEE..........................................Ns

Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by cyco05: 10:03am On Jun 24, 2013
I remember the commentator saying "I've not seen such a play from any african team"...its obvious what our mistakes are and we can work on it, the likes of yobo and osaze weren't ever in a team as good as this....they fumbled and even failed to qualify for the nations cup...I think keshis team is the best any nigerian has watched since the 94 squad

3 Likes

Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by cyco05: 10:09am On Jun 24, 2013
Teefabs :
Keshi is a big failure
...rubbish talk!!! Prandelli lost 4-nil against spain in the final and is not considered a failure!!! Go and check the meaning of failure u racist!!!
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by docadams: 10:15am On Jun 24, 2013
Nigerians mostly dwell on immediate results forgetting that football as an endeavour has short, medium, and long term plans. I think the short term plan, which is to have a team we can identify with, has been met.
Next is the medium term plan which is to mould and remould the team to a standard that we want. This is the stage we are now.
The long term plan will be to sustain the momentum.
On the balance of play, I liked what I saw. Did anybody actually believed that we will beat Spain? NO! Our criticism stems out of the fact that Spain would have been beaten if a few things had been done right in that match.
No country has had such scoring opportunities and ball possession against Spain recently in a competitive match.
So let the building process continue.Remember they need our support.
We shall get there only if NFF does not mess up.
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by pappythinko(m): 10:16am On Jun 24, 2013
back2sender:
This na word oooo
Thank God that noisemaker is not an Egyptian.. Gaynians are well known for thier noise making, I am not flabbergasted in any form. Majority of Nigerians do enjoyed themselves, and the footballing artistry of their ambassadors yle ur so called "Gaynian stars" run our commentary from the latrine. A rare privilege i surmise. grin
back2sender:
This na word oooo
Thank God that noisemaker is not an Egyptian.. Gaynians are well known for thier noise making, I am not flabbergasted in any form. Majority of Nigerians do enjoyed themselves, and the footballing artistry of their ambassadors yle ur so called "Gaynian stars" run our commentary from the latrine. A rare privilege i surmise.
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by chronique(m): 10:18am On Jun 24, 2013
The confederations cup is a miniature world cup and you have no business being at the world cup if you can't beat or draw at least,one of the world's top teams. We had the chance to beat uruguay but we didn't. As poor as taihiti were,we conceeded against them. It shows overall that as a team,we were behind spain and uruguay. Spain beat uruguay 2-1 and beat us 3-0. Spain beat taihiti 10-0 and uruguay beat taihiti 8-0. Spain and uruguay didn't conceed against taihiti. We beat taihiti 6-1. All these figures,shows that the only team in the group we were better than,is taihiti. If we are to face teams at the level of spain and uruguay at the world cup,then it means we should expect an early exit. Forget about this team not being our strongest. The confed. Cup is a grade A tournament organised by fifa for continental champions and nigeria has not done africa proud in that regard. If we had beaten a top team and still lost out,it would have been a different thing. Honestly,I don't know how taihiti got there. Playing a team with only one professional footballer is nowhere,a test for an african champion. I don't care what anybody says but amongst the players we have in europe playing football,osaze is still one of the best strikers we have now. I can't imagine him throwing away all the chances that fell to the likes of gambo,ideye and musa. Ideye as a matter of fact needs to quit football and take up a job as a mechanic/carpenter/bricklayer or plumber. He's an embarrassment to the position of a striker. However,I must commend the midfielders,defenders and goal keeper(although,defence needs to sit up). Overall,the team didn't play badly and were never outplayed but as we all know,results is what matter;not just how well you played. We need to play like champions and keshi needs to stop this unneccessary trial and error. You don't try players in a competitive tournament. You try them during friendlies. He still needs to learn some things about coaching and management.
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by kingjohnny(m): 10:24am On Jun 24, 2013
They are indeed a good team for 2014 World Cup

1 Like

Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by timecop28: 10:32am On Jun 24, 2013
chronique: The confederations cup is a miniature world cup and you have no business being at the world cup if you can't beat or draw at least,one of the world's top teams. We had the chance to beat uruguay but we didn't. As poor as taihiti were,we conceeded against them. It shows overall that as a team,we were behind spain and uruguay. Spain beat uruguay 2-1 and beat us 3-0. Spain beat taihiti 10-0 and uruguay beat taihiti 8-0. Spain and uruguay didn't conceed against taihiti. We beat taihiti 6-1. All these figures,shows that the only team in the group we were better than,is taihiti. If we are to face teams at the level of spain and uruguay at the world cup,then it means we should expect an early exit. Forget about this team not being our strongest. The confed. Cup is a grade A tournament organised by fifa for continental champions and nigeria has not done africa proud in that regard. If we had beaten a top team and still lost out,it would have been a different thing. Honestly,I don't know how taihiti got there. Playing a team with only one professional footballer is nowhere,a test for an african champion. I don't care what anybody says but amongst the players we have in europe playing football,osaze is still one of the best strikers we have now. I can't imagine him throwing away all the chances that fell to the likes of gambo,ideye and musa. Ideye as a matter of fact needs to quit football and take up a job as a mechanic/carpenter/bricklayer or plumber. He's an embarrassment to the position of a striker. However,I must commend the midfielders,defenders and goal keeper(although,defence needs to sit up). Overall,the team didn't play badly and were never outplayed but as we all know,results is what matter;not just how well you played. We need to play like champions and keshi needs to stop this unneccessary trial and error. You don't try players in a competitive tournament. You try them during friendlies. He still needs to learn some things about coaching and management.
Spain lost their very first game at the 2010 world cup against a lowly ranked SWITZERLAND..and who won the competition? Brazil won the 2009 confederations cup and where did they end at the 2010 world cup??
So bros....take a low seat. Ur post is off point.

2 Likes

Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by kingjohnny(m): 10:33am On Jun 24, 2013
They are good, They will improve and perform better in the World Cup angry
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by kingjohnny(m): 10:35am On Jun 24, 2013
good
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by dozai: 10:46am On Jun 24, 2013
obayaya: I think Nigerias performance can be summed up in ESPN's Bennet words.
m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=relegationzone&id=1059&wjb

I'll give keshi a pass mark for trying to build a team with ambition from our own leagues.. it's evident that our problem up front are all these overrated foreign based striker.. akpala, Musa, ideye.

the midfield combination is good.. Mikel bringing his unheralded Chelsea experience to give vision to a midfield comprising of home based players..

our defence is something that surprised Me. omeruo is gradually becoming an important part of this team, the boy reads the game perfectly. our problem in defense is still the foreign based full backs that sometimes lost concentration and fail to return from their overlaps leaving the center back exposed.

I think keshi did a very good job
Ambrose Efe is not a RB. he doesn't play that in his club. He is a makeshift RB in SE. The signs has been there right from AFCON
Still wonder why Keshi has no scouts on the trail of natural RB.
Echiejile was superb throughout .
I think the defense only needs a coordinator rather an organizer.
The MF needs a competition in mba's position. Someone with a lil bit of skill and eye for goals. Lukman/ Aluko can come in handy.
We only need a replacement for emenike. The team is set.
Just happy the way SE midfield stepped up their game against the best in d round leather game.
Kudos to Keshi. Mikel. Enyeama. Elderson. Musa. even Ogude for staying Card free.
Up SE

2 Likes

Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by jafboy: 10:59am On Jun 24, 2013
cheesy grin undecided Spain had 8 barca players, 2 Madrid players while Nigeria had 1 Chelsea player 1Eyeanma and 9 moving objects cheesy grin grin cheesy grin
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by dallyemmy: 11:08am On Jun 24, 2013
ONE GLARING FACT IS THAT WE NEED VERY GOOD STRIKERS IF THE TEAM WOULD GO FAR. ALSO, WE NEED OUR STRIKERS WITH INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE. IT IS LEFT FOR THE COACH TO LEARN HOW TO MANAGE THESE PEOPLE AS A LEADER.
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by caprini: 11:31am On Jun 24, 2013
smoothcrim2014: Ideye is the second leading scorer in the Ukraine league. Supposedly one of the top 10 leagues in the world!

http://www.football-lineups.com/tourn/Ukraine_league_2012-2013/Stats/

Shows you the quality of Ukrainian football grin grin grin
Ideye plays better with Emenike,he needs to study how to play with other strikers,he can get better ,his off the ball movements are classy and creates space for the top striker.
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by Positiveminds(m): 11:32am On Jun 24, 2013
smoothcrim2014:

Neither was Nigeria. You disgraced yourselves. If you are not going to bring it don't show up!!

You are a pathetic, miserable slut whose mental focus has degenerated to that harmful insect!
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by caprini: 11:33am On Jun 24, 2013
dozai:
Ambrose Efe is not a RB. he doesn't play that in his club. He is a makeshift RB in SE. The signs has been there right from AFCON
Still wonder why Keshi has no scouts on the trail of natural RB.
Echiejile was superb throughout .
I think the defense only needs a coordinator rather an organizer.
The MF needs a competition in mba's position. Someone with a lil bit of skill and eye for goals. Lukman/ Aluko can come in handy.
We only need a replacement for emenike. The team is set.
Just happy the way SE midfield stepped up their game against the best in d round leather game.

1,000,000,000 likes.
Kudos to Keshi. Mikel. Enyeama. Elderson. Musa. even Ogude for staying Card free.
Up SE
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by caprini: 11:40am On Jun 24, 2013
With their average strikers,this eagles will flog any team in Africa,they just need to up their game against other continents,oceania excluded.
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by larimo(m): 11:42am On Jun 24, 2013
I think the Eagles gave their best. They couldnt have given more than they gave. For me, its a pass mark. I agree with most of the comments from Sambos994.

There remains the question on players that were left out. Its our usual habit, when we lose, to ask why some players werent included. When we won the Nations Cup, everyone said forgot those players. Lets be consistent. There is so much unity in this team that we see it in their playing style. Let's not bring in players who would not be ready to play according to the dictates of the coach. Fitness is also important. The players in the current squad are mostly regular players at their clubs.

Keshi has done a good job and he knows that he was missing some of his key players in Moses, Onazi and Emenike.
There is hope for the future of the Eagles. Let no one ask for Keshi's sack as its very obvious that the Eagles are making progress.

2 Likes

Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by timecop28: 11:46am On Jun 24, 2013
jafboy: cheesy grin undecided Spain had 8 barca players, 2 Madrid players while Nigeria had 1 Chelsea player 1Eyeanma and 9 moving objects cheesy grin grin cheesy grin
Give it up already bro, This sh* is super stale.

2 Likes

Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by larimo(m): 11:49am On Jun 24, 2013
[size=14pt]Osaze, a striker, has scored 9 goals in 55 appearances in 11 years for the Eagles, while Mikel, a deep-lying midfielder, has scored 4 goals in 51 appearances in 8 years.

Why all the fuss about Osaze's coming back?[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by dabossman(m): 12:07pm On Jun 24, 2013
cyco05: I remember the commentator saying "I've not seen such a play from any african team"...its obvious what our mistakes are and we can work on it, the likes of yobo and osaze weren't ever in a team as good as this....they fumbled and even failed to qualify for the nations cup...I think keshis team is the best any Nigerian has watched since the 94 squad

Sadly, some here are probably too young to remember 94, and those who are old enough have problems remembering. We don't know the good Keshi has done us yet. Our play has improved from the sloppy, lifeless stuff we used tosee some years back. Players are more committed to the team and not just full of themselves and their overbloated egos. Most of those players who thought their spot in the Eagles was automatic will now have a rethink. The likes of Osaze who will say, "coach I may not come to AFCON because my wife is about to put to bed" are now singing a new song now.

3 Likes

Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by collynzo2(m): 12:11pm On Jun 24, 2013
larimo: [size=14pt]Osaze, a striker, has scored 9 goals in 55 appearances in 11 years for the Eagles, while Mikel, a deep-lying midfielder, has scored 4 goals in 51 appearances in 8 years.

Why all the fuss about Osaze's coming back?[/size]
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by hollandis(f): 12:14pm On Jun 24, 2013
my only issue ideye in the squad.what a dull striker
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by dabossman(m): 12:18pm On Jun 24, 2013
chronique: The confederations cup is a miniature world cup and you have no business being at the world cup if you can't beat or draw at least,one of the world's top teams. We had the chance to beat uruguay but we didn't. As poor as taihiti were,we conceeded against them. It shows overall that as a team,we were behind spain and uruguay. Spain beat uruguay 2-1 and beat us 3-0. Spain beat taihiti 10-0 and uruguay beat taihiti 8-0. Spain and uruguay didn't conceed against taihiti. We beat taihiti 6-1. All these figures,shows that the only team in the group we were better than,is taihiti. If we are to face teams at the level of spain and uruguay at the world cup,then it means we should expect an early exit. Forget about this team not being our strongest. The confed. Cup is a grade A tournament organised by fifa for continental champions and nigeria has not done africa proud in that regard. If we had beaten a top team and still lost out,it would have been a different thing. Honestly,I don't know how taihiti got there. Playing a team with only one professional footballer is nowhere,a test for an african champion. I don't care what anybody says but amongst the players we have in europe playing football,osaze is still one of the best strikers we have now. I can't imagine him throwing away all the chances that fell to the likes of gambo,ideye and musa. Ideye as a matter of fact needs to quit football and take up a job as a mechanic/carpenter/bricklayer or plumber. He's an embarrassment to the position of a striker. However,I must commend the midfielders,defenders and goal keeper(although,defence needs to sit up). Overall,the team didn't play badly and were never outplayed but as we all know,results is what matter;not just how well you played. We need to play like champions and keshi needs to stop this unneccessary trial and error. You don't try players in a competitive tournament. You try them during friendlies. He still needs to learn some things about coaching and management.

Like seriously, at the bolded? Then you obviously didn't watch the Nigeria vs Guinea game that ensured we failed to qualify for AFCON 2012. Osaze had 3..., I repeat 3 clear chances where he should have simply buried the ball in the net, but instead he played a tame back pass to the Guinea goalkeeper. In my opinion, Osaze, not Siasia lost that AFCON ticket for us. Osaze's best as been as an advanced playmaker behind the top striker. He is not a no.9
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by christopher9ja: 12:23pm On Jun 24, 2013
I WONDER IDEYI IS STILL DOING IN SUPER EAGLES TUEN SUPPER CHICKEN OF NIGERIA,EVEN THAT ABOKI MAN MUSA, HE IS TRYING, BUT HE SHOULD BE DISTRIBUTING THE TO OTHER PLAYERS NOT TOO GIDDY LIKE THAT,
AND THE MOST IMPORTANT OS THEM ALL IS HE SHOULD (KESHI) APOLOGIZE TO LIKES OF OSAZE,YOBO AND EVEN MARTINS IF U ASK ME
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by dubem3(m): 12:25pm On Jun 24, 2013
Anybody that marks these Eagles down completely either didn't know the Eagles before now or is just talking so he'll be noted as having contributed.

First of all kudos to keshi who has restored some hopes that I had but was losing since it was beginning to look insane; 1) I've always believed we don't need a foreign coach to perfect or football and lead us safely to our dreams.

2) I was beginning to lose faith in the fact that will ever be better. Infact I was beginning to doubt the fact that I watched that 'under seventeen' world cup that shot him to lime light properly. I was starting to convince myself that he was never good. But when I watched him play, I had this feeling of dejavu. I recognised that confidence, that ease, and I knew that Yes! There was hope.

Keshi should be left alone.
He should be allowed to groom the team, grow old with them if possible.
We are even lucky we didn't have to wait a long time to get results. Just some lil improvements here and there is what we need. (Those strikers nearly drove me crazy lady night. Wtf!)
We should equally not be dependent on some set of people to come do the dirty jobs like playing Spain. A team should be such that any complete eleven has what it takes to win any match.
Daalu kwanu.
Re: Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? by sambos994(m): 12:36pm On Jun 24, 2013
smoothcrim2014:

Learn to spell. You failed. The USA got to the final vs. Brazil last time and they don't even care about football. You were beat by 34 year old Forlan and 32 year old Scotti who is past his best. Tahiti scored on you. Against SPain you attacked but could not score. In the end I am so embarassed!! Once again the USA in CONCACAf got to the final. Egypt beat Italy last time even though it was a weakend Italy... The only team you beat was Tahiti... How is that success. They have one professional footballer. The rest are unemployed or climbers, mechanics etc etc. A mechanic scored on your professional keeper and out jumped your professional defender.

Ranting and raving was all that was. Even though Egypt beat Italy, NEWZEALAND managed a draw against Italy. I guess you can say the same about Ghana. We both played against the same Uruguay and lost with the same scoreline 2-1. Difference was you guys had your full attack force when ours was depleted. Against Spain, even Italy fell to Spain 4-0 with their full strength when we lost 3-0 with our depleted force. If we took the same team we had in AFCON, we would have beaten Tahiti 15-1, beat Uruguay 3-2 and we would've at least gotten a 2-2 draw against Spain. But alas, that's football, you gotta work with what you got.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ronaldo Considering Messi Link Up At PSG If Man Utd Don't Qualify For The UCL / Nike Receive 3m Orders For Nigeria's World Cup Shirt Ahead Of Next Week Release / Lionel Messi Appeals Over Tax Fraud Verdict

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.