Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,124 members, 7,828,993 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" - Properties (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" (264228 Views)

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" / The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by diordaves(m): 8:05am On Jun 30, 2013
Spyder880; its good to know you are always upfront with unforeseen challenges; even when such challenges impinge on overall project cost like the foundation. I can see you are taking the present challenge head on. I also noticed being upfront with the truth you were able to secure a review of the original foundation design with your client. well done.

Lessons should be learnt here. Most hiccups with projects like this almost always arise from building professionals not being upfront with the truth and tend to gloss over and sweep challenges under the carpet. I know of many professionals who will notice such water-logged soil but will still go ahead with the original design but will use the situation to hoodwinked an unsuspecting client and collect more money.

Having said that Spyder880; the question is begging to be asked: since you've reviewed the foundation type to a probably more expensive foundation; have you also reviewed the overall budget of N8.8 million? Are you still delivering this project within the original time frame and budget?

Keep on with the good work.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:16am On Jun 30, 2013
PEN_MIGHT:
Glad u took care of the water earnestly! That is a relief of a sort. Our reinforcements are ready to go too. Good progress there!

At this juncture, I feel obliged to pray that you will grow in strength in good time so that you can procure some simple machinery and tools that will make your work simpler and reduce your overhead costs. I sincerely wish this for u.

With a good truck for conveyance, some regular necessities like Storage tanks,Pumping machines,Concrete mixer,Poker,V-ibrator and even Props,Scalffold and metal plates will seriously reduce the burden on you and help facilitate more patronage for low-cost constructions like this.

I can imagine the stress and loss incured in getting some of these things repeatedly everytime and anywhere you get project.

Your concrete work(even as small as blinding) gets better when machine-mixed. But I can't possibly be expect you to be hiring it with a cost of(I guess) 20k/day. For blinding you hire,for casting the startes bars,oversite concrete,lintels,floor slabs, beams you keep hiring. That's a real lot of money that could have been saved.

With time and definitely with hardwork like this and Utmostly with God,all things are possible.

When man pikin dey struggle now, people no see am,when money comes friends go come boku. Life!

Wishing you the best.....in the jungle.

God bless you, we pray to get bigger and better. I am still battling with the pumping machine all morning, it shall be well my people.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:26am On Jun 30, 2013
diordaves: Spyder880; its good to know you are always upfront with unforeseen challenges; even when such challenges impinge on overall project cost like the foundation. I can see you are taking the present challenge head on. I also noticed being upfront with the truth you were able to secure a review of the original foundation design with your client. well done.

Lessons should be learnt here. Most hiccups with projects like this almost always arise from building professionals not being upfront with the truth and tend to gloss over and sweep challenges under the carpet. I know of many professionals who will notice such water-logged soil but will still go ahead with the original design but will use the situation to hoodwinked an unsuspecting client and collect more money.

Having said that Spyder880; the question is begging to be asked: since you've reviewed the foundation type to a probably more expensive foundation; have you also reviewed the overall budget of N8.8 million? Are you still delivering this project within the original time frame and budget?

Keep on with the good work.

Thank you Sir, I must mention here that my client is a very supportive person who understands the importance of a solid structure. He has approved the new introductions.

Definitely the budget and time frame will have to be adjusted to include this new set of challenges, its better to move slow at this point and speed up when we get to the next stage. If not for the water, we should be casting the concrete and ready to fill the foundation today. All is well sha.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by ashaju33: 11:13am On Jun 30, 2013
Oga spider welldone
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 11:47am On Jun 30, 2013
ashaju33: Oga spider welldone

Thank you, have a wonderful weekend.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by achi4u(m): 12:43pm On Jun 30, 2013
Oga spyder880,you can start by buying those equipments mentioned by diordaves gradually until its completed.

You need that water pump generator you're using now asap,the price is not that much.After that you go for vehicle ; neat and sound Dahsun Truck will be of immerse help. . . before you know it. . .the rest will history.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by takeprofit: 1:58pm On Jun 30, 2013
spyder880:

Thank you Sir, I must mention here that my client is a very supportive person who understands the importance of a solid structure. He has approved the new introductions.

Definitely the budget and time frame will have to be adjusted to include this new set of challenges, its better to move slow at this point and speed up when we get to the next stage. If not for the water, we should be casting the concrete and ready to fill the foundation today. All is well sha.

i thot its possible to check all these b4 starting work. i mean the quality of the sand in the land, this water thing coming from the ground- that wld be a serious matter and should be handled seriously so it does not affect the foundations in the future.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Overdee: 3:36pm On Jun 30, 2013
takeprofit:

i thot its possible to check all these b4 starting work. i mean the quality of the sand in the land, this water thing coming from the ground- that wld be a serious matter and should be handled seriously so it does not affect the foundations in the future.

Sure a soil text needed to be done, but in this case, it was not done to determine d strength of d soil, so I will also advice dat use concrete mixture should be 1/2/4 aggregate to strengthen d ralf foundation, again fill ur block holes if u re using hollow blocks and finally put damp proofs on top ur hardcore before u cast ur DPC
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 5:18pm On Jun 30, 2013
Our plan to work today failed. We could not fix our pumping maching which has been erratic since we bought it. We could not get technicians to fix it as today is Sunday. My client has promised to send technical help to repair the machine very early tomorrow morning and we have big plans to recover the delays of today. I am not happy, the boys are not happy that we lost a day, but we are going to bounce back.

We spent today stategizing on ways to make a big siccess of tomorrow. We have no pictures for today but there will be heavy action tomorrow. Lets rest and recharge for tomorrow. Have a nice weekend everyone.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by megainvest: 5:23pm On Jun 30, 2013
Welldone sir. We pray for good weather 2moro.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by sandee575(f): 5:33pm On Jun 30, 2013
Sorry Spyder 880, but don't go yet. Some have been asking why preliminary
studies were not made before the digging when you suddenly discovered water.
Would you like to say why or that would be spoiling your fine reputation here.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by ITbomb(m): 6:50pm On Jun 30, 2013
I must say here , ur greatest challenge in Ptown would be rain and water.
Buy tarpolin Or black waterproof. Large size .
And the spot for mixing cement should be relatively elevated incase rain comes in the middle of work

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 8:29pm On Jun 30, 2013
olubuffett:

make I get the placard

We have scared our oga at the top oh, see how pix are flowing . . .
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 8:52pm On Jun 30, 2013
No wonder my brother said he must ship one water to me from Germany.
How could you buy water pump two days ago and the seller has to repair it instead of replacing it outright with a new one, what kind of wahala be that.. damn we take things for granted in obodo here.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 9:09pm On Jun 30, 2013
mufutau55: No wonder my brother said he must ship one water to me from Germany.
How could you buy water pump two days ago and the seller has to repair it instead of replacing it outright with a new one, what kind of wahala be that.. damn we take things for granted in obodo here.

Hajji Mufutau

Nigeria is a different place, i remember a generator that was bought for me when i was doing fish business last year, bought brand new and packed up few days later and yet i have to buy another one . . . Lol
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 9:20pm On Jun 30, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Nigeria is a different place, i remember a generator that was bought for me when i was doing fish business last year, bought brand new and packed up few days later and yet i have to buy another one . . . Lol

That is so bad. Every little thing my brother want to ship for me to Naija. I wa wondering why and arguing with him, he sai if I was living or frequent like him to Nigeria I wouldnt ask him any question. I started to see and beleive what he was saying since I joined the Property Forum. God help in Nigeria even fo just small mere thing we take for granted overseas.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 9:32pm On Jun 30, 2013
mufutau55:

That is so bad. Every little thing my brother want to ship for me to Naija. I wa wondering why and arguing with him, he sai if I was living or frequent like him to Nigeria I wouldnt ask him any question. I started to see and beleive what he was saying since I joined the Property Forum. God help in Nigeria even fo just small mere thing we take for granted overseas.

Hajji Mufutau

Very true, but with all that being said, Nija is where the fun is.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Chekitaut: 9:34pm On Jun 30, 2013
mufutau55: No wonder my brother said he must ship one water to me from Germany.

Hajji Mufutau
Nigeria import as low as paracetamol, all our graduate are on brain drain, wicked citizen will go to china and produce substandard products and export to Nigeria, God will save us. NOTHING ID PRODUCE IN NIGERIA.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 9:47pm On Jun 30, 2013
Chekitaut: Nigeria import as low as paracetamol, all our graduate are on brain drain, wicked citizen will go to china and produce substandard products and export to Nigeria, God will save us. NOTHING ID PRODUCE IN NIGERIA.

That is true Chekitaut. The bad element has spoiled the good people.
Nigeria has changed drastically from the time I left. God save us all.

Hajji Mufutau

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by gabbytabby: 9:59pm On Jun 30, 2013
Its ridiculous and I buy so much of my electricals from the UK cos of this problem but then if you go to places like LG then you can rest a bit. I bought wire direct from Kablemetal.

That is why I spend so much time online researching for places to source items before I have to go to 9ja as I dont want I or any of my tenants to be electrocuted and I dont tend to have too much time to be going around in the sun.

Oga spyder I have been avoiding this site for a while. I know you will do us proud and your safety and unfront attitude will go far. Best of luck on this venture.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 10:21pm On Jun 30, 2013
gabbytabby: Its ridiculous and I buy so much of my electricals from the UK cos of this problem but then if you go to places like LG then you can rest a bit. I bought wire direct from Kablemetal.

That is why I spend so much time online researching for places to source items before I have to go to 9ja as I dont want I or any of my tenants to be electrocuted and I dont tend to have too much time to be going around in the sun.

Oga spyder I have been avoiding this site for a while. I know you will do us proud and your safety and unfront attitude will go far. Best of luck on this venture.

Gabby.. do you have some websites where one can look at housing materials and their prices in Nigeria?
Thanks.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by VIPICO(m): 10:23pm On Jun 30, 2013
Spyder,
Welcome to my lovely PH city.
I so know PH like the back of my hand, bro.
I'm just seeing this thread now and here I am, greeted by a picture you took at Air Force junction, while coming from Stadium road.
spyder880: I am already falling into step with PH, even after spending only 5 hours in the city, the blue cabs and traffic......
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by VIPICO(m): 10:26pm On Jun 30, 2013
This is why you are the best. They are milking people in this town
spyder880:

You have a good point, PH is expensive in most things, from granite to sand and even the labour costs here na die! But I will be pushing the boundaries of focused spending with a deep knowledge about the safest ways to pay lower and get more for less. I will also be coming in with my team of workers from Enugu, and they must agree to work with me in PH with Enugu labour rates. I will build a 'batcher' for them to live on this site.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 11:47pm On Jun 30, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Very true, but with all that being said, Nija is where the fun is.

That is true too for the fun part and its also our home.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Okijajuju1(m): 1:12am On Jul 01, 2013
Ichie Spyder...

Just checking in.. Waiting for update pics..

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Fhemmmy: 3:40am On Jul 01, 2013
Okija_juju: Ichie Spyder...

Just checking in.. Waiting for update pics..

Yes oh . . . I second that.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by otokx(m): 6:47am On Jul 01, 2013
The worse part is that we import low quality china products with no guarantee. Port Harcourt is the home of rain and lately night chills.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Okijajuju1(m): 10:31am On Jul 01, 2013
otokx: The worse part is that we import low quality china products with no guarantee. Port Harcourt is the home of rain and lately night chills.

for the part of the job he is currently on, I don't think he needs to bother himself about china except with regards to tools such as Shovels, wheelbarrows and stuffs like that. The bricks are made in Nigeria, Rods as well, Cement, Sand and granite.. All made in Nigeria.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by jites(m): 12:59pm On Jul 01, 2013
reportinf to class, please class monitor Oga Fhemmmy mark me in, i was told picture will be comming this afternoon thats why i came late. I salute the house !!!
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 01, 2013
spyder880: Then the concrete blinding, very thick in most places.
Oga spyder, longest time. This one when you de say you no fit build for delta, make my money come. When I cry for your gate I go know if you no go release your boys come Ughelli.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by lordnammy(m): 2:44pm On Jul 01, 2013
Oga spyder ur work is saying for itself. Guys are still looking out for pic. Wishing u all the best

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (87) (Reply)

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.