Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,398 members, 7,815,868 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" - Properties (76) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" (263914 Views)

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" / The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (87) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by tommyvicky: 7:41am On Oct 27, 2013
Hello Spyder,

Sorry to take you back. Please how did you arrange the frontal pillars to arrive at a hollow of 225 X 255 in the middle.What were the exterior dimension of the blocks?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by TopeFl(m): 8:03am On Oct 27, 2013
Questions too plenty nah..He is doing a great job and at the same time answering/educating us. Although people are entitled to their thoughts, we should at least be considerate and appreciative.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by cruxkhalif: 12:23pm On Oct 27, 2013
Numero uuuno: its good to know you find time for your kids.
Weldone man
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by cruxkhalif: 12:33pm On Oct 27, 2013
mufutau55:

If you guys can read carefully through the whole previous 73 Pages, you will see what affected the budget changes..
Everyone here knows the honest financial disclosure of Spyder.. so just go back and read the whole thread and some of his other threads.

Hajji Mufutau

Oga Hajji,

All respects to you.

Someone looking for a contractor for his job will not read 73 pages to understand why the cost of your project had a 50% increase. People just don't have that time. A first glance is what they take home. So if contractors submit profiles of previous jobs they've done, all you want to see is if the projects meets the 3 project management criteria for success. That is why the contractors take out time to be sure that what they quote is what they can deliver. No client wants the goal post to be shifted in the middle of the game.

I respect Spyder and I've commended him on the quality of his work. I've even reached out to him one on one. I'm just saying, for interests sake, a 50% mark up is just too much for a quoted contract. Except of course, it is from the client's changing taste.

Enough said.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by cruxkhalif: 12:46pm On Oct 27, 2013
Somorin#1:

Why did you even respond to this thread?

Do you care to show us your projects and the estimates?

Your first question doesn't deserve an answer! I'm sure you know that!

To your second question, I'm not a contractor, rather I'm Spyder's potential client. That is why I have my concerns!

Happy?

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Degis(m): 1:31pm On Oct 27, 2013
cruxkhalif:

Oga Hajji,

All respects to you.

Someone looking for a contractor for his job will not read 73 pages to understand why the cost of your project had a 50% increase. People just don't have that time. A first glance is what they take home. So if contractors submit profiles of previous jobs they've done, all you want to see is if the projects meets the 3 project management criteria for success. That is why the contractors take out time to be sure that what they quote is what they can deliver. No client wants the goal post to be shifted in the middle of the game.

I respect Spyder and I've commended him on the quality of his work. I've even reached out to him one on one. I'm just saying, for interests sake, a 50% mark up is just too much for a quoted contract. Except of course, it is from the client's changing taste.

Enough said.

Hubris is a very bad attribute, so is the inability to articulate one's thought effectively.

You want Sypder to be the contractor for your project but you don't have the presence of mind to go through the documented evidence of the various reasons that necessesitated a price increase but you have the temerity to complain about the price jump?

Well, some mothers do have them.

3 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by brabus(m): 1:32pm On Oct 27, 2013
By their fruit we shall know them... Matthew 7: 15 - 20

What's the result of the match between Spyder880 and His Kids? We'll like to know

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by cruxkhalif: 2:08pm On Oct 27, 2013
Degis:

Hubris is a very bad attribute, so is the inability to articulate one's thought effectively.

You want Sypder to be the contractor for your project but you don't have the presence of mind to go through the documented evidence of the various reasons that necessesitated a price increase but you have the temerity to complain about the price jump?

Well, some mothers do have them.

Need I blame you for your inability to comprehend an effective communication!

And where did arrogance show itself in my communications?

Go ahead and cry louder than the bereaved.

And yes, some mothers do 'av 'em! You should know!

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 27, 2013
cruxkhalif:

Your first question doesn't deserve an answer! I'm sure you know that!

To your second question, I'm not a contractor, rather I'm Spyder's potential client. That is why I have my concerns!

Happy?

It's a valid question. If you have no answer or chose not to answer it is another matter entirely.

Thankfully my level of happiness has no based on your approval.

I really hope the OP practices the right to refuse service.

Nothing good can come from any business association with your types, IMHO.

2 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by lawali: 7:24pm On Oct 27, 2013
cruxkhalif:

Need I blame you for your inability to comprehend an effective communication!

And where did arrogance show itself in my communications?

Go ahead and cry louder than the bereaved.

And yes, some mothers do 'av 'em! You should know!
Major problem most of we Nigerians have is that patient to go through things thoroughly. Jumping from 1st page to the current page can't make any explanation or reasoning behind cost change to be clear. Spyder gave more than enough info on this house and the least anyone should do is to go read them out. Most of these information can never be gotten from many places or professionals. If to say Spyder moved from inital quote to the current one without explanation, most of us would have asked same question on why price change. As a potential client, the least I will expect from you is to research your contractor fully. In summary, we u take or leave this mansion at N14M offer?

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by kingdvd(m): 8:06pm On Oct 27, 2013
spyder880:

1. Foundation N 3.4m
2. Ground floor N 1.4m
3. Decking N 2.4m
4. First floor N 1.9m
5. Parapet and roofing N 4.2m
6. Finish ....... Still in progress.

Please note that this is no ordinary house plan, there are lots of added features at every stage that added to the construction costs. The style alone is not the simple, everyday patterns we see everywhere. Look at the parapet alone, the windows, the frontal arcs, the roof type and the other designs still being made now.

This house is different, a mansion on its own.

thank u Gen. Spyder, u are so wonderful
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by cruxkhalif: 10:20pm On Oct 27, 2013
Somorin#1:

It's a valid question. If you have no answer or chose not to answer it is another matter entirely.

Thankfully my level of happiness has no based on your approval.

I really hope the OP practices the right to refuse service.

Nothing good can come from any business association with your types, IMHO.

Yea. You are right. My types are difficult indeed!

When a business man is questioned about his business, he throws emotions into it, and then refuses to do business! That is your advice?

Then you Somorin will put food on his table, abi?

Either you don't live in the real world, or someone is paying your bills.

I'm done with you!
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by hardywaltz(m): 12:09am On Oct 28, 2013
Dear Spyder880,
I must say i'm trilled by this tread,
I stumbled on this tread in its infant stages but was put off by the cost N8.8m, as an experienced builder of several years and a Chartered Quantity Surveyor, cost is @ my finger tips, so seeing the N8.8m initial cost i just concluded that the project would either be halted or experience a major cost over-run and with my experience in building i knew the 60days scheduled completion time was almost an impossible timeline.
I just decided to take a break from the political section and all their tribal wars and out of curiously decided to check up on this tread and was waaooed.

Going through the entire 75 pages i made a few observations:
1) The building seems a little close to 132/331 kv transmission lines, i hope u have all the necessary approval because the standard set back for those high tension is 25m on either side.

2) The Lintol on both floors (ground & floor) was cast in a ring form i.e on all walls, most people do this but i have always wondered why coz it has no structural bearing but only increases cost.

3) I noticed you decked the building after 12 courses of blockwork on the ground floor that may account for your low headroom on the palour after the POP was dropped. These days its best to decide what the ceiling finishes will be so as to decide how many courses of block. If you were to do an under-decking screeding you wouldn't have experienced that.
I noticed that you made the correction on the first floor 13 courses.

4) This concrete fascia thingy i see it as trending, i.e it will soon fade away thereby making it easy for people to guess the era it was built, just like send down the rain type of roof.

All in all i must commend you on your rare courage and wish luck, but try consulting a Quantity Surveyor next time.
I have now moved to more of consultancy service than site works because i discovered most clients like to be lied to. They prefer people who submit unrealistic cost to them than those of us that give them a near accurate figure, some of my colleagues now submit far lesser quotation just to win the jobs since they know that most clients will be willing to continue building despite massive cost overruns, all they (Clients) can do is grumble behind their backs. However as a Quantity Surveyor i see that as a call to my credibility for any unnecessary cost overrun or variation in terms of cost other than those induced by the client. If i submit my cost to a client and he starts saying that someone else (usually Architects, Civil Eng. or masons) gave him a far lower cost i just advise them to go along with the other person.
That was the primary reason i abandoned this tread when it started.

Kudos

3 Likes

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by hardywaltz(m): 12:25am On Oct 28, 2013
I intend to put up my own structure here in PH, i will start building this December when the dry season kicks in and Obio/Akpor and Phalga touts are most likely to be on break.
Please i would like to know where you saw those tiles and sanitary fittings coz i don't want the usual out of the shelve every day stuffs.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 12:29am On Oct 28, 2013
hardywaltz: Dear Spyder880,
I must say i'm trilled by this tread,
I stumbled on this tread in its infant stages but was put off by the cost N8.8m, as an experienced builder of several years and a Chartered Quantity Surveyor, cost is @ my finger tips, so seeing the N8.8m initial cost i just concluded that the project would either be halted or experience a major cost over-run and with my experience in building i knew the 60days scheduled completion time was almost an impossible timeline.
I just decided to take a break from the political section and all their tribal wars and out of curiously decided to check up on this tread and was waaooed.

Going through the entire 75 pages i made a few observations:
1) The building seems a little close to 132/331 kv transmission lines, i hope u have all the necessary approval because the standard set back for those high tension is 25m on either side.

2) The Lintol on both floors (ground & floor) was cast in a ring form i.e on all walls, most people do this but i have always wondered why coz it has no structural bearing but only increases cost.

3) I noticed you decked the building after 12 courses of blockwork on the ground floor that may account for your low headroom on the palour after the POP was dropped. These days its best to decide what the ceiling finishes will be so as to decide how many courses of block. If you were to do an under-decking screeding you wouldn't have experienced that.
I noticed that you made the correction on the first floor 13 courses.

4) This concrete fascia thingy i see it as trending, i.e it will soon fade away thereby making it easy for people to guess the era it was built, just like send down the rain type of roof.

All in all i must commend you on your rare courage and wish luck, but try consulting a Quantity Surveyor next time.
I have now moved to more of consultancy service than site works because i discovered most clients like to be lied to. They prefer people who submit unrealistic cost to them than those of us that give them a near accurate figure, some of my colleagues now submit far lesser quotation just to win the jobs since they know that most clients will be willing to continue building despite massive cost overruns, all they can do is grumble behind their backs. However as a Quantity Surveyor i see that as a call to my credibility for any unnecessary cost overrun or variation in terms of cost other than those induced by the client. If i submit my cost to a client and he starts saying that someone else (usually Architects, Civil Eng. or masons) gave him a far lower cost i just advise them to go along with the other person.
That was the primary reason i abandoned this tread when it started.

Kudos

Finally a QS guy on this thread, welcome man.
You people do a lot of detailed costing and it sometimes scare intending landlords away, but better to say it as it is than under quote. I also experience such but these days I better give a near accurate figure and take my chances than under quote and go back to my client and beg for more funds later.

1. On the first question, we have over 100 mts gap from that power line, not near enough to cause any fears at all.

2. I always cast my lintels in a ring form to ensure uniformity, I had this argument with a structural engineer in a site he is working. I thought he was not doing the right thing by cutting his lintels to only door and window tops.

3. 12 courses of blocks was the specification in the building plans and that is what I built, my client asked that I add an additional course on the first floor for personal reasons.

4. The concrete fascia? Its a fad like you said but we cannot ignore its positive sides, these days people look at you with that "you no get money to do am" eye if you tell them its a passing fad.

Please come back to the field and building houses, you will still see clients who value professionalism.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 12:30am On Oct 28, 2013
kingdvd:

thank u Gen. Spyder, u are so wonderful

Thank you Sir, welcome.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 12:32am On Oct 28, 2013
brabus: By their fruit we shall know them... Matthew 7: 15 - 20

What's the result of the match between Spyder880 and His Kids? We'll like to know

No bi small thing o grin

The boy is getting faster everyday.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 12:35am On Oct 28, 2013
tommyvicky: Hello Spyder,

Sorry to take you back. Please how did you arrange the frontal pillars to arrive at a hollow of 225 X 255 in the middle.What were the exterior dimension of the blocks?

The external dimensions were 900 x 900mm, we arranged them with 9" blocks, cutting to fit, breaking the rest to half and quarter to size. We also added some 6" hollow blocks in between.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 12:41am On Oct 28, 2013
specco:
Oga Spyder, I doff my hat for you. I've been watching and relishing your expertise, knowledge and skill right from the clearing of the land on which this beautiful mansion stands. Kudos to you. Please I need your expertise on the problem at hand. I have a friend who in 2007 built a duplex up to the decking level(don't know the correct terminology) and had a financial setback and couldn't continue since then. He plastered and moved in pending when things would improve to built up. Now the problem is that the decking has started leaking water during raining seasons. Please apart from roofing at that stage, what else could solve his problem and stop the widespread leakages from the decking? Solution will be appreciated.

Leaking decking is a hard problem, some floor it with hard cement and smooth and shine it like the floor, some even fix tiles on the deck. I have also seen a man that poured tar on his deck, the type of tar that is used to do roads, he just melted it and poured on the decking.

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 12:43am On Oct 28, 2013
yusufu16: spyder880:

I am very much impressed with the quality of this project. I am a Civil Engineer, I can only say kudos to you sir. In other places, this house would probably cost higher that what you spent to bring it to this stage. You are really prudent and at the same time keeping to quality in your project

Thank you bro, we must continue to try our best to improve on every job. Welcome Sir.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by brabus(m): 2:26am On Oct 28, 2013
Question for the Professionals?

Given a similar terrain, market and build-route with minimal mark up, what is the realistic cost and time frame for building this house?

Let's assume the client is in the middle-class and not an agbada flowing politician.

This question is directed to the professionals and consultants in-house so Oga Spyder don't bother to answer this question. I have my reasons and we learn everyday.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Nobody: 4:10am On Oct 28, 2013
Will the cost be more or less if this structure was constructed in Ibadan?
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Beulah09: 5:09am On Oct 28, 2013
Somorin#1:
Will the cost be more or less if this structure was constructed in Ibadan?

Probably N2m less if done in Ibadan. Labour and materials are cheaper. Also, most places in Ibadan is solid ground so the foundation will not be that expensive.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by tlops(m): 5:49pm On Oct 28, 2013
9ice job...
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by gtrust: 8:53pm On Oct 28, 2013
Nice job!
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 9:47pm On Oct 28, 2013
More work ongoing at this site, windows, doors and tiles being done here.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by cyntiathis: 11:18am On Oct 29, 2013
Nice Job Mr.spyder008, i like the house and the parapet is so smooth.
Please my Oga was woundering if one can fix parapet on a Duplex built just like yours,
I.e six solid at the floor and six hollow on the first floor. is it advisable?
thankx.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 12:27pm On Oct 29, 2013
cyntiathis: Nice Job Mr.spyder008, i like the house and the parapet is so smooth.
Please my Oga was woundering if one can fix parapet on a Duplex built just like yours,
I.e six solid at the floor and six hollow on the first floor. is it advisable?
thankx.

Yes its possible, just get a structural engineer involved to look at the house and suggest the best type of parapet for the house.
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by Cypost: 8:00pm On Oct 29, 2013
mufutau55:

And YES, YOU HAVE BEEN DOING IT!!! SUCCESSFULLY TOO!!

Sorry Football (soccer) is not my thing... I and all my kids are into Basketball and Football (American) with the Big Boys.
Enjoy with your kid at his soccer game.

Hajji Mufutau
Oga Mufutau pls can u advice me on this www.nairaland.com/1495759/pile-raft-foundation-which-ideal
Thx
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by specco(m): 8:23pm On Oct 29, 2013
spyder880:

Leaking decking is a hard problem, some floor it with hard cement and smooth and shine it like the floor, some even fix tiles on the deck. I have also seen a man that poured tar on his deck, the type of tar that is used to do roads, he just melted it and poured on the decking.

Thanks Oga Spyder your views and worries are well taken.I should advise my friend accordingly. Keep up the good work

1 Like

Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by mufutau55(m): 8:58pm On Oct 29, 2013
specco:

Thanks Oga Spyder your views and worries are well taken.I should advise my friend accordingly. Keep up the good work

Only my Ogas here can help you with that. I think you should contact a SOIL Tester to see which one will serve your situation.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" by spyder880(m): 10:15pm On Oct 29, 2013
specco:

You're welcome.

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (87) (Reply)

The Real Cost Of Building A 6 Bedroom Duplex (reloaded) / Buy Original Stamped Concrete Materials. / Fences And Gates In Pictures And Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.