Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,547 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:10 PM

Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? (76911 Views)

Difference Between B Tech And B Sc Accounting / That Act Of Discrimination By Virgin Atlantic Airways / HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 10:46am On Aug 07, 2006
British started the wallah, they since converted their polytechnic to university. They lower the course content of their HND and run in university. Their SSCE/ WA EC is their National Diploma and their own BTEC HND is lower than our HND.

Canada, S/Africa and USA had B.Engineering for 4 years, Their B.Tech for Engineering Technology 3years and 2years Technician Degree all run in the same university.

Nigeria dump all such to polytechnic and encourage all university of tech.

If you have OND you did not have HND you will not understand what we are saying.

to have HND you need 4 Credits+ ND+ YEARS of Exp+ New form to = HND

Check the course content of the HND you will know that NBTE must fight for us.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 7:05pm On Aug 07, 2006
infact dont even try to compare polytechnic syllabus in any course with dat of the university. I vex the day i see Bsc statistics and Bsc computer science course curriculum for nigerian university. They are far far behind what HND statistics and HND computer science do; yet dem go open their wide mouths dey talk. The whole work na polytechnics dey do am jo, dem just dey relax. Even uni graduates who lecture in polytechnics will tell you that polytechnics do more than they themselves did in the university. But some of them dont want to accept it.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 10:11am On Aug 08, 2006
HND syllabus is too wide ha! You know I use my HND NOTES during my MEng degree. Why?
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 11:40am On Aug 08, 2006
HND syllabus is really too broad. One of my lecturers (a Phd holder) in my final year in school (HND II) made it clear to us during one of his lectures with us on a particular topic in Experimental Design, that he did what he was teaching us as a postgraduate student and not in undergraduate school. That we will not have much problems when we go for postgraduate studies as the same topic still appears in the syllabus for the Msc program. And this was true when i finally saw the course outlines for MSc, and that gave those of us with HND advantage over those with Bsc.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 12:00pm On Aug 08, 2006
Even with that they still they talk sme sme to HND holders.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 12:08pm On Aug 08, 2006
You blame them? Me i no blame them oo, na govt wey allow dem to dey hide behind their certificates i blame. We know where to catch them, make them try us for neutral ground see; we go clear their doubts.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 2:32pm On Aug 08, 2006
It is the fault of the HND holders who are hidding under them. Some
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 10:12am On Aug 14, 2006
yes o, some HND holders are actually the cause of this whole nonsense.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 6:07pm On Sep 07, 2006
Senate is on it bill we shall smile soon
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2006
Yes o, we hope to smile soon. Even if we no smile make our brothers wey dey come behind us smile; moreover na all of us go smile sef.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 12:21pm On Sep 08, 2006
Today we have army of unemployed graduate here and there, HND is poor man's certificate as no job for them the Bsc obtained from oversea can get job but home base will have to fight with HND for the available job. That is why they discriminate
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 10:40am On Sep 14, 2006
Survey conducted prove that It is HND holder or OND holder who later obtained degree made the problem worse for HND holders
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 11:09am On Sep 14, 2006
Hnd-holder:

Survey conducted prove that It is HND holder or OND holder who later obtained degree made the problem worse for HND holders

Yes, they are the ones that made the discrimination worse. I have said it before that it is those polytechnic graduates that migrate to the university to do undergraduate course again that make the discrimination worsen. If only HND holders out there will listen we sholud not have any business to do with any university undergraduate school again; let HND holders go straight to PG school chikena. Na long throat they carry HND holder go do BSc again i swear, else why would you go and spend 3 yrs again doing wat you have done before just becos you want to get a Bsc?? you no go spend that 3 years take get Masters degree?? HND holders especially make una wake up oo; left for ND holders they are not yet graduates, na only 200 level work dem don do, so their own no get problem whether dey go for HND or Bsc.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 11:32am On Sep 14, 2006
Often you listen to an ND holder saying he was in the polytechnic. Look this our society spoil finish the technological education now we depend on china for every thing. Pants o, name the underwear, pins or common tooth pick they are all imported. we are not independent technically yet. ah!
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 1:40pm On Sep 14, 2006
Thats naija for you o, we import almost everything we need, even matches sef.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 1:59pm On Sep 14, 2006
We need technological independent
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 6:10pm On Sep 20, 2006
The discrimination will end this year Surely with the help of almighty
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 1:30pm On Oct 04, 2006
when will the discrimination end? Are you sure government are looking into the issue at all??
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 1:38pm On Oct 04, 2006
NBTE Assist HND Holders
From Juliana Taiwo in Abuja,

The National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) is to assist holders of Higher National Diploma (HND) to secure direct admission for Masters Degree programmes in the United Kingdom.
The Executive Secretary of the Board, Engr. Dr. Nuru A. Yakubu stated this while receiving report of the Committee on Modalities for the Removal of Ceiling on Career Progression of HND holders in Kaduna .
In a statement signed by Lawal Y. Hafiz, NBTE's Head, Media & Publicity, Yakubu said talks had reached an advanced stage with HERIOT WATT University in Scotland which was established in 1821 and the eighth oldest university in UK to admit Nigerian HND holders into its two-year Masters Degree programmes.
The decision, according to the Executive Secretary was reached following the University’s belief in the capabilities of Nigerian HND holders.
He lamented the refusal of Nigerian Universities to admit HND holders into Masters Degree programmes, saying, the action cannot be justified.
The Executive Secretary further stated that by next year, entry requirement into Polytechnics would be increased to five credits to bring it at par with Universities. Yakubu thanked President Olusegun Obasanjo for the directives to remove the ceiling placed on the career progression of HND holders in the country, pointing out that the constitution of the Committee was geared towards actualizing the presidential directive. The Chairman of the Committee, Engr. Ahmadu Rufai Mohammed in his remarks, decried the discrimination against HND graduates saying only Nigeria discriminates between HND and degree holders.
Mohammed welcomed the President’s directive, pointing out that with the effort to remove the ceiling, the nation’s quest for technological advancement will begin to manifest.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 1:41pm On Oct 04, 2006
National assembly and presidency are on it, we are waiting for the white papers and the law.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 2:58pm On Oct 05, 2006
Bros, are you sure those people will remember to discuss about polytechnics and HND holders in their sittings?? with this OBJ and ATIKU issue wey dey ground and everywhere now.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by babs787(m): 3:22pm On Oct 12, 2006
[b]B.Sc/HND and the way forward for Nigerian Educational System[/b]

Permit me to contribute my quota on the above-mentioned issue.

Am not trying to condemn one at the expense of other but to shed some lights on some of the problems facing poly graduates and also state university graduates and the way forward for Nigerian educational system.

There is this widespread discrimination of Polytechnics graduates as against University graduates, Federal Universities against State Universities, Federal Polytechnic against State Polytechnic.

Though u may blame many organizations contributing to the discriminatory acts but sincerely speaking, the discrimination is being caused by the way Nigerian educational system has been set up right from inception and I don’t think anything can be done on that.

Should there be any difference between University graduates (be it state or Federal) or between State and Federal polytechnics? There shouldn’t be.

Some are ashamed when telling people where they graduated from. What is the stigma in having HND or going to State Universities?

Why do employer of labour accept Universities graduates and rejects polytechnic graduates. Some of the reasons include (if not all):

1. The Nigerian Education gave more priorities to University graduates than Polytechnic graduates.
2. It may be as a result of running Masters programmes and PhDs.
3. They believe Polytechnics are inferior to Universities.
4. They have professors that lecture them.
5. they use it as a yard stick in short listing, or probably reducing applicants.
6. and so on. Please add if you know more.

So now lets go into the issue proper

Let me ask this question, what is the future of Nigerian education with the way things are going. I learnt with great disappointment what Nigerian Banks are doing to polytechnic graduates and State university graduate. Some banks laid off their workers because of their educational background forgetting that some of the big names in banking sector graduated from State universities and Polytechnics. We also have GM's ED's and MD's that graduated from Polytechnics and also from State Universities in some corporate organizations in Nigeria including banks.

Can someone pls tell me , what is the yardstick used in detecting that Federal University graduates perform better than the rest?

Or is it because polytechnics in Nigeria don't have the constitutional backings to run Masters and PhD programs.

It is even alarming to hear that you need to go extra year at the university for PGD before you can go for Bsc., though some Universities accept distinction and Upper only. But can somebody tell me, why the need for PGD when u have already spent five years or more at the polytechnic. What’s the need of going for additional 1 year at university when they say they are both on the same level?

Now, am not trying to discriminate. Some people do say its only the Engineering products of polytechnics that are more better cos they do more of practical than Universities and that Universities are better off than Polytechnics in theory. Let me add this, has anyone seen and compared polytechnic course outline right from ND 1 till Hnd compared to University from 100 level. Polytechnics tend to do more courses than universities (quote me wrong).

It is being said that polytechnics do more of practical while universities do more of theory.i.e HND is a qualification with technical bias while the university degree is a theoretical qualification.
Even if this is applied, we can’t categorically say that university will be better off compared to polytechnic. I believe it s based on individual and also the lecturer that handle the course. For example, a lower credit holder in one school may become a distinction holder in another school while a distinction holder in one school may come out with pass in another school. Also a 2.1 holder in one school may come with third class in another school and vice versa. The same principle applies to state university as against federal.

To buttress my point, I graduated from a polytechnic, even state polytechnic (Laspotech to be precise. They have some of their products doing well in organizations. I came out with upper credit (3.30) which I know if its some schools, it would have graduated with distinction as a result of their making scheme and other factors. I have my job, also respected in my organization as a result of my contribution towards the achievement of organizational objectives. Now, during my days at the polytechnic, I do runs i.e going as far as Unilag, Lasu, OOU to sit for student writing exams. I noticed that when I got to exams hall and given the questions papers, most of the questions were not different from what I have been facing in polytechnics and some of the questions were not detailed as supposed to be. (pls am not discriminating or trying to prove too know but trying to make sense). Also there is nothing Bsc holder can’t do that I cannot do too even better.
Secondly in my organization, I happen to be part of the recruitment, selection and placement team. We do give both polytechnic and university equal opportunity to prove his or her worth. But noticed that some polytechnic graduates do perform better than universities for the fact that there is this inferiority complex among some of the polytechnic graduates and as a result tends to put extra effort in proving his/her worth in which at the long run he/she is chosen for the job having defended his/her result. Here, the Federal universities believes having graduated from federal school would provide better chance (though it does to some extent) but unknowingly he/she has greater role to play cos he must be able to defend the federal result because going through applicant’s cv, one of the thing that strikes or catches your intention is the school of the applicant. Some university graduates find it difficult to solve simple problems in their areas of specialization while Hnd does. Am not saying all polytechnics are better off than university but they should all be placed on the same level playing ground The reason for this statement is that it is being said that university is better off than polytechnic. but I believe what makes you a professional are the skills (human, technical and conceptual skills) you have acquired which you can use to make positive changes to improve the well-being of the society and your country.

Now lets go to Nigeria in terms of corporate organizations (employment) and not in the academics. I know of people who had masters but because of their HND background, they never got beyond a particular level. He/she may not be able to rise above a certain position if he does not upgrade his/her qualification. It is being said that people go to polytechnics cos they lack university prerequisites and also fail jamb. Though I agree some do but some do go to polytechnic cos of the experience derived through Siwes and Industrial Training and also cos of the courses done in polytechnics. The discrimination against Hnd graduates exist and there's also a stigma associated to it in the Corporate world in Nigeria unless it’s a company in which you can rise from the position of an office assistant to Managing Director, but if not, u remain where you are in an organisation and I don’t think it can be reversed.

One of the major difference between university and polytechnic graduates is the way it is perceived in the society and honestly some polytechnic graduates have this inferiority complex. Having forgotten that perception of yourself is a determines your altitude. Have u also forgotten that the one in you makes you the you in you. It is disgusting how we use paper work to set standard as against acquired skills in getting the best person to do the job.

Now having said the above, I believe sooner, Nigerian educational will crumble. The fall will be caused majorly by corporate organizations that adopt the method of using paper work in their selection and particularly National Assembly for their failure in listening to the cries of graduates in this country. Paper work like, the applicant must be from federal university, must have 2.1 or 2.2 thereby sidelining other degree others and polytechnics even if you have distinction.

Now, as this is happening, there is declining population in Nigerian polytechnics while there is massive increase in the number of students seeking admission to universities. The reason not far-fetched from the fact that it is believed by some that polytechnics are being considered as a waste of time, state universities not having standard up to federal universities and that federal universities is the best etc.

Students will be interested in paper work not concerned about the skill so far its federal universities. Also, students in their quest for good grade, will turn to bribery, cultism, and other illegal means of acquiring goo grade at all cost. When this happen, universities certificates will turn to mere paper work cos of students’ quest for good grade not minding how its being got. On the other hand, polytechnics will be thriving well as a result of the inferiority complex, low turn out of students etc. this will make the few students sit tight, facing their studies, and work towards achieving good grade in order to be able to face their counter parts in the Nigerian labour market. Lecturers will want to prove to Nigerians that polytechnics is the best thereby putting additional effort in bringing out the best out of the polytechnic graduates. When this happens, education in Nigeria will be falling and graduates will not be able to meet up to expectation. This will lead to disgrace within and outside the shore of Nigerian.

Conclusively, based on all the above, am not trying to say that polytechnic is not good or university is the best, but each should be given equal opportunity to defend himself/herself in the labour market. Some polytechnics graduates do better than universities and vice versa. So paper work shouldn’t be use as a yard stick in determining the best.

Also I think what the government should do is that due to the massive discrimination of polytechnic graduates, the government should either increase some courses in the curricular or do something that will make both equal or turn all polytechnics to universities and also pass the bill that will give them equal rights everywhere in corporate settings. If government cannot do this, it will be better for government to scrap polytechnics rather than subjecting polytechnic graduates to all sort of discrimination. Some polytechnic graduates are better than university graduates but their school (or paper work out) wont allow them a step forward.

Now to banks, I believe not all their investors are from universities, we also have polytechnic graduates. The polytechnics graduates should have their money withdrawn from those banks that discriminate. I believe if this is done, it will instill a sort of seriousness on the part of the banks cos some of the banks MD graduated from polytechnics or state universities, so why the discrimination. Should this be used a yardstick for selection? No I disagree. Let everybody be given equal opportunity.

I believe if this is done, Nigerian society will be better off in terms of technical skills and employment of competent staffs that will move this Nigeria forward and stop the discrimination and over reliance on paper work.

I still need more contributions pls, we need to come out and say our view on the current happenings and proffer the solution to it thereby moving Nigeria forward. Your opinion may be different from mine but it is allowed. We need to share ideas. Thank you
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 5:01pm On Oct 12, 2006
Charity they say, starts from your home. I saw an advert today, a polytechnic seeking to employ engineers. Do you know what the requirement was?? A Degree from a recognised university. What about HND from a recognized polytechnic?? Is HND not the equivalent of a Degree again?? Are HND holders not good enough to be employed to work for their almamater where they were trained?? If the polytechnics themselves can be placing adverts and refusing to accept applications from their own HND graduates, it means something is wrong somewhere. Would you now blame the universities and other organizations for not employing polytechnic graduates?? If the polytechnics themselves cannot employ their own products it means they do not have confidence in them. Na wa oo. HND holders don suffer for nigeria, so tey even polytechnics sef dey discriminate them. I think the polytechnic that placed that advert should be Abia state polytechnic.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by zebra(m): 5:20pm On Oct 12, 2006
The reason for the discrimination against HND holders is that, the polytechnics themselves have no confidence in their own products(HND holders) and as such do not patronize them. Most polytechnics do not employ HND holders either as academic staff or as technical staff. They prefer to employ a BEng holder to HND Engineering graduate in their engineering departments, and yet people keep saying that HND holders are technically better than BEng graduates. If they are better why is it that the polytechnics themselves discriminate against them?? Now tell me why any body out there would want to patronize someone whose own almamater where he was trained has discriminated and fail to patronize not to talk of been given a job?? Charity begins at home o!!
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by manoy(m): 7:13pm On Oct 12, 2006
I TOO GRADUATED FROM FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC,ADO WITH UPPER CREDIT IN MARKETING,THE BEST WAY TO GET OUT OF THE PROBLEMS ON GROUND IS TO VENTURE INTO WRITING OF PROFESSIONAL EXAMS.WE HAVE SO MANY OF THEM LIKE,CIPS(UK),CIM(UK),ACCA(UK),CIMPN,NIMN,CIS,APCON,ICAN,& OTHERS
WHERE I WORK THERE IS NO DISCRIMINATION BUT ONE SHOULD WORK ON ONESELF,UPGRADE URSELF TO AN INTERNATIONAL STANDARD.
UNIVERSITY/POLYTECHNIC SHOULD NOT BE THE END OF THE RACE PLEASE ENDEAVOUR TO DO MORE.GOD IN HIS INFINITE MERCIES WILL HELP US AND TAKE US TO A GOOD LAND WHERE OUR VISION WILL BE FULFILLED
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 9:48am On Oct 13, 2006
You are all running late comentry
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 4:19pm On Oct 13, 2006
But something needs to be done concerning this issue of HND discrimination even within the polytechnic. How can polytechnics be employing only Bsc holders to work for them  both as academic and technical staff while HND holders are considered not fit. If truely the HND certificate is equivalent to Bsc then polytechnics should equally employ HND holders with Bsc holders together and place them in the same level. Polytechnics should be the first people to even patronize HND holders. Charity begins at home, they say.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 4:32pm On Oct 13, 2006
Nuru Yakubu must hear this
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by ishmael(m): 6:31pm On Oct 13, 2006
Hnd-holder:

Nuru Yakubu must hear this

Are you sure he does nt know about it?? Well, for the benefit of doubts help us convey the complain to him; and let something be done fast about it. In the universities Bsc holders can lecture Bsc undergraduates, but why is it that in the polytechnics HND holders are not allowed to lecture HND undergraduates ?? but Bsc holders can lecture HND students. If really polyechnics are meant to chun out practical and technical graduates why then has NBTE not given priority to HND graduates to lecture in the polytechnics since the HND holders are considered to be more technical??  Or have the universities suddenly overtaken technical and technological education from polytechnics?? Does that mean now that university graduates know both theory and practical more than polytechnic graduates?? If you go to most if not all polytechnics in nigeria 95% of academic lecturers in each department are university graduates, while only 5 % are polytechnic graduates; mind you they are not even called lecturers but instructors who are only allowed to teach Pre-ND and ND1 students. Why is it so?? HND-holder please help us ask Dr. Nuru Yakubu all these questions; we need answers from him. Let charity start from his home please.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by manoy(m): 7:48pm On Oct 13, 2006
Hmm! Nigerians with their mentality,God will set you free.I am an HND holder,there is every reason for me to thank God.Go to graveyards and see firstclass products there.In everything we should give thanks to the authour and the finisher of our faith and you should always remember that so many people have all it takes(Bsc,mba) but ,
Please stop condemning certificates because my bible tells me that everything I lay my hands upon shall prosper and the condition is that we should seek first the kingdom of God and its righteousness,all other things shall be added unto you.HND holders dont be discouraged,put your total trust in God for there is no limitation in God ok.
Bsc holders,be careful and respect fellow human beings like.we are all equal before God
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by Hndholder(m): 9:46am On Oct 16, 2006
Without blood no forgiveness of sin, so Jesus blood was used that is the Christian believe.

It is through the powerful hand of God the Israelites got freedom from Egypt.

Moses killed , he kill a man before they could have freedom, So many sons of Egypt died.
They made effort otherwise God would just be looking at them.
HND holders we need freedom
Come out so that we can make noise to God and Government to change things to our favour.
Re: Why This Discrimination Between B.Sc & HND? by bisiofgod(m): 10:55am On Oct 16, 2006
men,of a truth,there is a clear cut between a polytechnic graduate&a university graduate.u cant compare the two.its glaring.i quess ure a poly graduate.try&get updated pls.go 4ur pgd

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University / Mutale Winfridah: Zambian Female Banker Suspended For Sleeping With 200 Men / Pharmacy Vs Nursing: Which Is More Lucrative?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.