Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages (18766 Views)

OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? / Seven Surprising Mistakes In Marriages. / Minor Acts That Cause Damage In Marriages. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by Mystery11(m): 6:55pm On Jul 02, 2013
sylvia78: I can relate to this topic. I recently separated from my hubby of three years because of his childish character. Each time we had a misunderstanding, he wouldnt speak with me for weeks and even months.

I moved out because we had a misunderstanding and he just shut me out completely for four months. He stopped eating at home,stop associating with me in anyway, even stopped touching me.

I tried severaly tried to talk things over with him but he wouldnt budge. Several times i cried and begged him to forgive whatever i might have done to deserve such treatment,but nothing.

I left for my parents place with hope that he would at least come to report to my parents and hopefully we would resolve it. But a year and half later, he hasnt even called to know where i am and what am doing. Even his people cant get in touch with him.

All this epistle is just to show what harm 'silent treatment' can cause in a marriage.

I will not exonerate the guy for the funny behaviour but I still find it hard to believe that THERE IS NO SMOKE WITH FIRE
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 02, 2013
You can actually get the hard copy of this write up by requesting from a Jehovah's witness..the awake journal of june 2013
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by cheries: 7:17pm On Jul 02, 2013
devour129: i used to be bothered by this when my hubby does but not anymore.i channel my mind and time to other things.agaracha must come back.in fact that's the best time to ask him for things cos for his mind he dosent want to talk to you at all so he gives you whatever you want so can leave him alone.

That is true. I so much agree with u.
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by kokoye(m): 7:44pm On Jul 02, 2013
- Men are not as verbal as women when dealing with issues. We really do not enjoy going back n forth at each other.

- When you react, there will ALWAYS be a reaction..and this applies to both sexes. When you say something hurtful to your spouse, he will: 1. take a verbal swipe back at you' 2. physical swipe or 3. keep quiet and/or walk away. One of the three WILL HAPPEN.

- While tensions are running high and your husband is making his feelings known verbally, the way you react matters a lot. If you start yelling and nagging, you are not helping. Keep quiet and listen..let him know you understadn what he's saying even if you dont agree with him. Talk to him when he calms down - most of us will listen. If your husband feels like he's talking to a brick wall, he may stop talking alltogether.

Men hurt the same way women hurt but we are not as verbal. But we will surely find a way to react - and you may not like it..you're not supposed to anyway smiley

When he's angry...learn to give him some pace to calm down. Dont force him to talk to you. He will calm down...eventually

Verbal insults hurt men ..the same way physical abuse hurts women.

Hope this helps.

God help us all.

3 Likes

Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by dayokanu(m): 9:22pm On Jul 02, 2013
^^ Thank you for nailing the topic.

Couples get into disagreement and I dont think its a good idea to exchange words when things are heated cos a lot of things would be said in the heat of the moment which one would regret or even lead to physical exchanges and who knows how that might end.

When one partner is raging I think the best is for one to keep quiet or even leave the location.

No one gains from a shouting match
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by McAmah(m): 10:02pm On Jul 02, 2013
Mystery 1:

I will not exonerate the guy for the funny behaviour but I still find it hard to believe that THERE IS NO SMOKE WITH FIRE
I'm sure there is something you aint saying... there must be more to this.
Haba
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jul 02, 2013
you give me silent treatment, and you are so dead.. you waking up that side of me that usually wild for a month.. a girlfrnd thought me and she suffered the consequences...
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by afamgod(f): 12:39am On Jul 03, 2013
I'm new on this forum and this is my 1st comment on any post.
Talkin about silent treament, i tink my husband & i deservs an award. Agreed is somethin terrible, but we cant help it. His so good at it that he can go for months, until am able to call him to reasons. Infact he does it to neighbours too. Currently we're at it for no big cause and i'm 31weeks pregnant and ve decided 2 keep that way till i deliver my baby. Is there any other way out of this silent treatment without having to beg for a problem that was no cause of mine or having to say sorry when am not really 'sorry'?
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by lastpage: 4:13am On Jul 03, 2013
afamgod: I'm new on this forum and this is my 1st comment on any post.
Talkin about silent treament, i tink my husband & i deservs an award. Agreed is somethin terrible, but we cant help it. His so good at it that he can go for months, until am able to call him to reasons. Infact he does it to neighbours too. Currently we're at it for no big cause and[b] i'm 31weeks pregnant and ve decided 2 keep that way till i deliver my baby.

Is there any other way out of this silent treatment without having to beg for a problem that was no cause of mine or having to say sorry when am not really 'sorry'?

Madam,
Sorry, you might not like what l will say, but l say it with utmost respect to your person.

1.) Ask yourself: What do l gain, from this cause (silent treatment) of action, at the end of the day.
2.) On the balance of scale, my SELF PRIDE on one hand .... MY HAPPINESS on the other, which do l treasure MOST?

CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM:
You said you are not the cause of the problem, right?
Do you actually think your husband think you are not the cause of the problem? (Both of you actually think the other is the cause and should be blamed for it,right? grin )

What l am getting at is that Most people would not accept responsibility for the "problem" either out of PRIDE or out of 'Honest' IGNORANCE.... but it still doesn't change the facts!
It could be you, it could be him.

SAYING SORRY:
You dont feel and wont say sorry simply because you "think" you are not the cause of the problem.
*What if you are actually wrong in what you think?
*If you are not the cause really, do you think "SORRY" is WORTH your happiness and marriage?
*Which do you cherish more: Saying sorry ..(with your ego rubbed!) or restoring your happiness in your home?
Weigh it and make a choice.

That thing called "Ego/Pride" , is a bast*ard, as they say.
And a stubborn heart, fuelled by Ego/Pride is dangerous to anyone.

Now, in any relationship of two humans, both cannot be hot-headed.
Even the Bible describes our wife as "COMPLEMENTARY" to our existence.
Thus, to "complement" someone...in a marriage setting.... means you are subjective or "adding to" what already exists!

So, when both of you keep "struggling with self pride", how then do you "complement each other" in the marriage?

Again, Women must know how to "manage their husband".
We have different nature and different things annoy, impress and excites us.
let me speak for a man.. to a woman.
*Men like to be praised, appreciated, praised and not challenged (Physically and emotionally).

if you observe these rules, what you get in-return is a man who is dedicated to you and does all you want...(lIke he is your little baby). Its a Win-Win situation for both of you!

"Manage the Man first.... and all other things will follow. TRUE DAT.

Challenge the man... and the Home is in constant turmoil and will eventually break-up!

Saying SORRY does not make you a lesser human... (My Mum always say this to me since day one).
She says it only shows that:
1.) You have a superior emotional make-up and control (it takes strength, inner strength, to say Sorry to someone you love, even when you think you are in the right.... just to soothe/sort things out!)

2.) You operate from a higher ground of 'moral standing', compared to the other person

3.) You create room for dialogue

4.) You give yourself an opportunity to SHOW THAT YOU ARE ACTUALLY IN THE RIGHT! wink wink (you can do that in a shouting match now, abi?)

5.) Best of all, you dont deprive yourself of inner peace and Happiness that comes with living in a healthy and happy relationship

ALL THE ABOVE JUST FOR SAYING SORRY!

If "Sorry" is the key that unlocks your husbands weakness, l am happy you have found it.
USE IT, USE IT WISELY AND EFFECTIVELY.

Dont deliver that baby into an environment of rancor.
An idle mind (your husband's situation when you both keep malice for long) is a fertile ground for the devil to sow seeds.
I hope he has not start coming home late or eating outside? shocked shocked wink wink

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by jidewin(m): 4:34am On Jul 03, 2013
Talkin about silent treament, i tink my husband & i deservs an award. Agreed is somethin terrible, but we cant help it. His so good at it that he can go for months, until am able to call him to reasons. Infact he does it to neighbours too. Currently we're at it for no big cause and i'm 31weeks pregnant and ve decided 2 keep that way till i deliver my baby. Is there any other way out of this silent treatment without having to beg for a problem that was no cause of mine or having to say sorry when am not really 'sorry'?
Sis,you are playing a very dangerous game. Read the ops statement again about the silent treatment for a "short while".
Even to those yet to be married but are on line towards walking down the isle,PRIDE in either or both parties makes the SILENT treatment prolonged.
To end the war,sometimes,its good to simply take a note and write how you feel,include the affects of the non-verbal communication in the message and how well you too could continue with it,pin it somewhere conspicuous where your partner may see it and end it with "I'm sorry too, but I still do love you".
Words,whether written or verbal are quite powerful. Never allow Silent Treatment to go on for so long.
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by jidewin(m): 4:50am On Jul 03, 2013
sylvia78: I can relate to this topic. I recently separated from my hubby of three years because of his childish character. Each time we had a misunderstanding, he wouldnt speak with me for weeks and even months.

I moved out because we had a misunderstanding and he just shut me out completely for four months. He stopped eating at home,stop associating with me in anyway, even stopped touching me.

I tried severaly tried to talk things over with him but he wouldnt budge. Several times i cried and begged him to forgive whatever i might have done to deserve such treatment,but nothing.

I left for my parents place with hope that he would at least come to report to my parents and hopefully we would resolve it. But a year and half later, he hasnt even called to know where i am and what am doing. Even his people cant get in touch with him.

All this epistle is just to show what harm 'silent treatment' can cause in a marriage.
Sister,
I pray your marriage be restored but you need to have what I call OPEN COMMUNICATION in your relationship. It means when you and your partner notice something unpleasant and could not stomach it,VOICE it, but not vehemently.
Breakdown in communication is the catalyst for wider gaps between you and your partner. Never stop talking in your relationship. women brain are mentally designed to talk (and don't they enjoy it)and sometime says hurtful things,yet expect their partner to listen. Its a natural phenomenon with women. And if you feel you can voice out.Write your feelings on paper or send him sms,short messages how you feel.
A loving and caring partner would not shun his spouse after attempts to end the conflict between them. Pride as I've come to learn must not be allowed to have a hold in any union.
Unless you've done something so wrong,such as infidelity and your spouse decided to end the union.But for him to lock out even your people from reaching,nah nah,that's to the extreme.
Wish you success eventually.
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by sylvia78: 6:43am On Jul 03, 2013
jidewin:
Sister,
I pray your marriage be restored but you need to have what I call OPEN COMMUNICATION in your relationship. It means when you and your partner notice something unpleasant and could not stomach it,VOICE it, but not vehemently.
Breakdown in communication is the catalyst for wider gaps between you and your partner. Never stop talking in your relationship. women brain are mentally designed to talk (and don't they enjoy it)and sometime says hurtful things,yet expect their partner to listen. Its a natural phenomenon with women. And if you feel you can voice out.Write your feelings on paper or send him sms,short messages how you feel.
A loving and caring partner would not shun his spouse after attempts to end the conflict between them. Pride as I've come to learn must not be allowed to have a hold in any union.
Unless you've done something so wrong,such as infidelity and your spouse decided to end the union.But for him to lock out even your people from reaching,nah nah,that's to the extreme.
Wish you success eventually.

Thank you.

I never said i was completely without fault.He is 8 years older than me i'm in my early 30s, and i have never intentionally committed any grave offence that would warrant such treatment from him . Like i said, each time we had a misunderstanding,he would shut me out for a long time and i will have to beg sometimes all night just to ensure that we sort out the issue. This wasn't a case of infidelity like some people might assume,in fact if there is anyone who has ever been found guilty in that aspect is him. I have caught him several times,heard and seen evidences and each time i tried express my displeasure,i got all sorts of treatment from him including being beaten up. This happened on two occations.

Right now,while i'm hoping that things get sorted out somehow,i am also carrying on with my life. My parents have on several occasions tried to call him to order but he changed his numbers. His people too have claimed they cant get through to him.

I would never suggest silent treatment as a way of sorting out marital issues, because it only escalates issues and makes the paties involved strangers to each other.Whtaever the problem is, its better to talk about it,if neccessary bring in an elderly person depending on the gravity of the problem

1 Like

Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by wemeri: 9:23am On Jul 03, 2013
kcjazz: You can't go wrong when as a victim you remain happy. It confuses the silent one. Avoid any vice during the period. Watch tv, laugh loudly, help with chores without been asked. Greet them in the morning and evening. Pray and thank God for your spouse. It works like magic but stick with your decision until you guys can talk reasonably.

infact, i overlike
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 03, 2013
israel007: People who engage in silent treatment are childish and cheap. Its even stoupid when men engage in malice. Mtcheeeew

are you an alien?? Humans are humans and will have human emotions when hurt. there is nothing cheap about it. undecided

1 Like

Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by sennykenny(f): 9:59am On Jul 03, 2013
I was not trained dat way, I mean keeping malice, but when I got married I had to learnt it in a had way cos all effort to change my hubby from it proved abortive. Now we can go for weeks without talking to eachother, and am not liking it
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by cityhood: 1:38pm On Jul 03, 2013
bigass: THE CHALLENGE

How do two people who have vowed to love each other get to the point where they refuse to talk for hours—or even days? ‘At least we stopped fighting,’ they tell themselves. Still, the issue has not been resolved, and they both feel uncomfortable.

WHY IT HAPPENS

Retaliation. Some spouses use silence as a form of revenge. For example, suppose a husband makes weekend plans without consulting his wife. When she finds out, she is angry and calls him inconsiderate. He responds by calling her oversensitive. The wife storms off and stews in silence. In effect, she is saying, “You hurt me, so I am going to hurt you back.”

Manipulation. Some use the silent treatment as a means to get what they want. For example, imagine that a husband and wife plan a trip and the wife would like to take her parents along. The husband objects. “You’re married to me, not to your parents,” he says. He then gives his wife the silent treatment, shunning her in the hope that she will break down and concede to his wishes.

Of course, a temporary time-out can give a couple the opportunity to let emotions cool when an argument is getting out of hand. That type of silence can be beneficial. The Bible says that there is “a time to keep quiet.” (Ecclesiastes 3:7) But when it is used as a means to retaliate or manipulate, the silent treatment not only prolongs conflict but also erodes the respect the couple have for each other. How can you prevent that from happening to you?

WHAT YOU CAN DO

The first step to ending the silent treatment is to recognize it for what it is—a tactic that, at best, works only short-term. True, not talking may quench your thirst for retaliation or compel your spouse to give in to your wishes. But is that really how you want to treat someone whom you have vowed to love? There are better ways to resolve conflicts.

Be discerning. The Bible says that love “does not become provoked.” (1 Corinthians 13:4, 5) So don’t overreact to such emotionally charged statements as “You never listen” or “You are always late.” Instead, discern the intent behind the words. For instance, “You never listen” might really mean “I feel as if you don’t take my viewpoint seriously.”—Bible principle: Proverbs 14:29.

Think of your spouse as your teammate rather than an opponent

Lower your voice. Arguments tend to escalate as they continue. On the other hand, you can change the direction of a heated discussion. How? The book Fighting for Your Marriage says: “Softening your tone and acknowledging your partner’s point of view are potent tools you can employ to diffuse tension and end escalation. Often that’s all it takes.”—Bible principle: Proverbs 26:20.

Think of “we” instead of “me.” The Bible says: “Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person.” (1 Corinthians 10:24) If you think of your spouse as your teammate rather than your opponent, you will be less likely to take offense, argue, and then refuse to talk to your spouse.—Bible principle: Ecclesiastes 7:9.

The silent treatment runs counter to the Bible’s admonition: “Let each one of you individually so love his wife as he does himself; on the other hand, the wife should have deep respect for her husband.” (Ephesians 5:33) Why not make an agreement with your spouse that the silent treatment is unacceptable in your marriage?

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g201306/the-silent-treatment/
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by Anayordike(m): 5:36pm On Jul 03, 2013
kokoye: Well, I hope everyone on this thread is married ..or else my post may make no sense to you.

When you live together, there WILL be disagreements that if not well managed, may lead to something else. You have to understand your partner and know how to diffuse the situation.

I personally dont like going back n forth when tensions are high cos I have realised it doesnt work out well FOR US.

If as a result of your emotions or anger, you say things that are hurtful to me, I may naturally want to get back at you verbally ..then we start hurting each other with words. I dont do that.

Instead, I WILL KEEP QUIET ..or WALK AWAY IF NECESSARY.

We tend not to think right or listen when we are are angry.

If you keep shouting at me or saying hurtful things, you are simply just extending my silent period. I cant talk to you because you are too 'high' to listen to me or think right.

When we both calm down (not matter how long it takes..hours in most cases), then I will get my points across and listen as well - that is effective and efficient communication.

Call it silent treatment but that is what works for me. I'm not forcing it on you.
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by afamgod(f): 1:32am On Jul 04, 2013
@Lastpage and jidewin, I quite understand you guys, but am afraid if am going to do this for the rest of my life. i.e begging and sayin sorry.
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by jidewin(m): 11:41am On Jul 04, 2013
sylvia78:

Thank you.

I never said i was completely without fault.He is 8 years older than me i'm in my early 30s, and i have never intentionally committed any grave offence that would warrant such treatment from him . Like i said, each time we had a misunderstanding,he would shut me out for a long time and i will have to beg sometimes all night just to ensure that we sort out the issue. This wasn't a case of infidelity like some people might assume,in fact if there is anyone who has ever been found guilty in that aspect is him. I have caught him several times,heard and seen evidences and each time i tried express my displeasure,i got all sorts of treatment from him including being beaten up. This happened on two occations.

Right now,while i'm hoping that things get sorted out somehow,i am also carrying on with my life. My parents have on several occasions tried to call him to order but he changed his numbers. His people too have claimed they cant get through to him.

I would never suggest silent treatment as a way of sorting out marital issues, because it only escalates issues and makes the paties involved strangers to each other.Whtaever the problem is, its better to talk about it,if neccessary bring in an elderly person depending on the gravity of the problem

Sylvia, that name gives me memories.Its unfortunate what you are going through,In fact i asked myself, what if you are blood sister,what shall i say? This is what i came up with.
Your hubby have emotional issues.Seriously,how can someone be that stiff neck What sin could have been committed against one that could be so great you find very and i mean very hard to let go?.
Now here's my advise,If you have a job, good,focus on improving your status-quo (acquire more qualifications).If you have the means,abeg hit the gym.YES. You will meet ladies and men who wouldn't mind spending time with you or the other way round.I'm certain he is keeping a tab somehow on you while you must carry on with your life like you too don't care anymore.
IF he doesn't bulge before we proceed into the 'ember period', my sister, start dating.You only live once.
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by jidewin(m): 11:51am On Jul 04, 2013
afamgod: @Lastpage and jidewin, I quite understand you guys, but am afraid if am going to do this for the rest of my life. i.e begging and sayin sorry.

Sometimes drastic situation requires drastic action.If you want it to end,it is high time you take the bull by the horn.Now is the time to be a drama queen. Lock both entrance and exit door.Confront him. angry Tell him what you've observed and feel and why his childish attitude must come to an end whenever there is misunderstanding between the two of you.It is your marital right.
He is your husband and you are his partner not his slave or daughter.In your course of display let him also know you love him but so far you are loosing it as each seconds pass by.And if he wants to end the union he should come out with it.But the silent treatment must end,and i mean NOW!. For God sake you are human and you have feelings too.Why would you grow older than your age by bottling up and keeping malice??. Now is the time for showdown. angry angry angry angry
Let us know how it goes.
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 04, 2013
kokoye:
- Men are not as verbal as women when dealing with issues. We really do not enjoy going back n forth at each other.

- When you react, there will ALWAYS be a reaction..and this applies to both sexes. When you say something hurtful to your spouse, he will: 1. take a verbal swipe back at you' 2. physical swipe or 3. keep quiet and/or walk away. One of the three WILL HAPPEN.

- While tensions are running high and your husband is making his feelings known verbally, the way you react matters a lot. If you start yelling and nagging, you are not helping. Keep quiet and listen..let him know you understadn what he's saying even if you dont agree with him. Talk to him when he calms down - most of us will listen. If your husband feels like he's talking to a brick wall, he may stop talking alltogether.

Men hurt the same way women hurt but we are not as verbal. But we will surely find a way to react - and you may not like it..you're not supposed to anyway smiley

When he's angry...learn to give him some pace to calm down. Dont force him to talk to you. He will calm down...eventually

Verbal insults hurt men ..the same way physical abuse hurts women.

Hope this helps.

God help us all.

I lv u guy! U just nabbed,nailed and abced it!!
A man has spoken
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 04, 2013
jidewin:
Sylvia, that name gives me memories.Its unfortunate what you are going through,In fact i asked myself, what if you are blood sister,what shall i say? This is what i came up with.
Your hubby have emotional issues.Seriously,how can someone be that stiff neck What sin could have been committed against one that could be so great you find very and i mean very hard to let go?.
Now here's my advise,If you have a job, good,focus on improving your status-quo (acquire more qualifications).If you have the means,abeg hit the gym.YES. You will meet ladies and men who wouldn't mind spending time with you or the other way round.I'm certain he is keeping a tab somehow on you while you must carry on with your life like you too don't care anymore.
IF he doesn't bulge before we proceed into the 'ember period', my sister, start dating.You only live once.
Gal,move on with ur life,who knows what life will offer u at d other side! Mismatch.a man that will not shut u out will come ur way.(Maybe u were too soft) enjoy ur life pls. If u hv a kid,u 2 should enjoy and enjoy and enjoy! Infact,I pray u get double of what u hv bn missing out in life.u will sit down one day and start sheddin tears of joy. May u find happiness dear.(This just turned my belle)
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 04, 2013
@op,silent treatment,I grew up in d mist of it.really thank God it didn't swallow me up.some of my family members r profs when it comes to this and it can stretch to yrs. Some saw their parents engage in it and joined. Its very unhealthy.
One of d major causes of hpb, depresion,name them.in my house,if I'm visibly angry,I will end up crying and u wouldn't want to hear me cryin unless ur heart is made of stone.I can't even last if I decide not to talk,cos I won't know when I will be forced to voice it out.I no fit abeg! Saw what it did to pple and vowed not to tow dat line.we must talk that talk
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 04, 2013
Afamgod,congrats o!
Abeg,for ur sake and that of ur unborn child,stop dis silly thing. I call it silly cos it didn't start with ur pregnancy,else I will blame it on preg homornes.
Do u want ur bp to rise bc of pride? I'm right,u r wrong rubbish?
Common,I understand very well but I don't want to talk abt dat now, for health reasons go and pet him,do whatever u can so that it will not happen again at least after delivery.pls,I'm begging u.

Then u 2 can work on ur ego/pride. I know u won't be stable now till u deliver. Wishing u safe delivery and goodluck!
Let us know o!
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by jpphilips(m): 5:58pm On Jul 06, 2013
seriously, do men do that $hit? i thought its only women, na waa all these guys with plenty sisters. i am so so suprised.
i hear guys say " my wife is not talking to me" and i hear women say " im not taking his calls".
since when did it become, "we are not talking"?
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by danjkad: 7:45pm On Jul 06, 2013
Hmmmm,
My hubby is very gud at it. In fact, he deserves an award.
D highest W̶̲̥̅̊є̲̣̣̣̥ can go on dis is a day cos ℓ̊ 'm always ready 2 apologise. D problem most people hav is learnin hw to say sorry. For God sake, wat is dere in sayin ℓ̊ 'm sorry?
Two wrongs can neva make a right. As women, W̶̲̥̅̊є̲̣̣̣̥ already know D̶̲̥̅̊α̇̇̇̊τ̣̣̥ men hav dis ego/pride problem.
Even if my hubby is d 1 D̶̲̥̅̊α̇̇̇̊τ̣̣̥ is wrong, ℓ̊ stil say sorry jst 2 make peace, den later explain 2 him hw hurt ℓ̊ am.
Silent treatment is neva healthy bt wat oda way do U̶̲̥̅̊ expect spouses to express their anger?
When 1 is mad, d oda shld do d calming down.
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by safeLove(f): 3:16pm On Jul 07, 2013
There's a difference between walking away for things to cool down and shutting someone off for months. For me that's wickedness.

@Silvia and afam, hope you guys sort things out soon.
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 07, 2013
May God deliver His People from the wise men of Nairaland. "Men are not verbal creatures". What am I and what are all these politicians in the world? Women? A woman whose husband is giving the silent treatment and who does not know why is to blame for it? Such moronicity! I don't believe she said anywhere that it wasn't her fault. She did in fact say that she begged for him to tell her what she did wrong and even apologized for whatever it might be before ever hearing her wrong. The one who's pregnant and is tired of always begging for offences she knows nothing of needs to be advised to keep suing for peace with her husband whenever he decides to play God?

Where do these "wise men" crawl out of to advise people? undecided

The silent treatment is emotional blackmail, it is a devastating tool of emotional warfare. And nobody in a relationship, male and female, is justified using it. For those of us who might be a little confused, defusing an argument or a quarrel by shutting up for awhile with every intent to clear things up when emotions cool is not at all the same thing as and cannot be confused with the silent treatment when one partner deliberately shuts out their mate and prevents them from any hope of resolving the issue at hand.

This very thing is what I personally suffered from a girlfriend I loved with every fiber of my being. It leaves one in a state of partial insanity to be rendered incapable of fixing what one may have done wrong to the one treating them to silence. It's like an itch in some part of one's body out of one's fingers' reach. You know you want to fix what you did wrong, you know you want to make the person happy again but they simply won't let you. If you love them, that makes you very miserable. Perhaps it is your fault that they are angry in the first place but it's not yours that they stay angry.

Truly, I think the best anyone being treated to silence can do is to shift the focus of their emotions from the person trying to drive them mad to something or someone else until they're open to mature discussion again. This does not mean responding in kind, the one suffering the treatment should still keep the comm lines open but they shouldn't spend the rest of their days sitting at the radio.

The silent treatment is given by emotionally immature people. It requires emotional maturity to deal with. But it does not end because the one suffering it is emotionally mature. Kids will be kids. Unless the one dealing out the punishment chooses to discuss the issue that they're mad about, it is impossible to resolve it and from that point on the relationship begins to die. What the emotionally mature partner can do is endure it and accept what results from it which might be the death of the relationship.
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by Mystery11(m): 10:06pm On Jul 07, 2013
Ihedinobi: May God deliver His People from the wise men of Nairaland. "Men are not verbal creatures". What am I and what are all these politicians in the world? Women? A woman whose husband is giving the silent treatment and who does not know why is to blame for it? Such moronicity! I don't believe she said anywhere that it wasn't her fault. She did in fact say that she begged for him to tell her what she did wrong and even apologized for whatever it might be before ever hearing her wrong. The one who's pregnant and is tired of always begging for offences she knows nothing of needs to be advised to keep suing for peace with her husband whenever he decides to play God?

Where do these "wise men" crawl out of to advise people? undecided

The silent treatment is emotional blackmail, it is a devastating tool of emotional warfare. And nobody in a relationship, male and female, is justified using it. For those of us who might be a little confused, defusing an argument or a quarrel by shutting up for awhile with every intent to clear things up when emotions cool is not at all the same thing as and cannot be confused with the silent treatment when one partner deliberately shuts out their mate and prevents them from any hope of resolving the issue at hand.

This very thing is what I personally suffered from a girlfriend I loved with every fiber of my being. It leaves one in a state of partial insanity to be rendered incapable of fixing what one may have done wrong to the one treating them to silence. It's like an itch in some part of one's body out of one's fingers' reach. You know you want to fix what you did wrong, you know you want to make the person happy again but they simply won't let you. If you love them, that makes you very miserable. Perhaps it is your fault that they are angry in the first place but it's not yours that they stay angry.

Truly, I think the best anyone being treated to silence can do is to shift the focus of their emotions from the person trying to drive them mad to something or someone else until they're open to mature discussion again. This does not mean responding in kind, the one suffering the treatment should still keep the comm lines open but they shouldn't spend the rest of their days sitting at the radio.

The silent treatment is given by emotionally immature people. It requires emotional maturity to deal with. But it does not end because the one suffering it is emotionally mature. Kids will be kids. Unless the one dealing out the punishment chooses to discuss the issue that they're mad about, it is impossible to resolve it and from that point on the relationship begins to die. What the emotionally mature partner can do is endure it and accept what results from it which might be the death of the relationship.

You condemned the your so called ''wise men'' but ended up giving their same advice.

Very awkward angry angry
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jul 07, 2013
Mystery 1:

You condemned the your so called ''wise men'' but ended up giving their same advice.

Very awkward angry angry

Feel free to draw the parallels for me. Maybe my emotions blinded me to what they actually said. smiley I doubt though that I've said the same thing they did.
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by baby124: 1:10am On Jul 08, 2013
I didn't see that growing up, and that is emotional abuse. The only time I do something like that is when I want his attention. And it usually doesn't last more than 2hrs. He will say something that will make me laugh, and I am not a good actress. grin. I once dated someone that did that, by the time he came to his senses. I was in love with my sweetie pie. Abeg, who wan die from all that childish wahala. No time o. I am the type that likes to talk about my hurt feelings, and you better listen and talk about it too. Your silence won't stop me from talking. It will only encourage.hehe. You give me the opportunity to get everything off my chest. I think he realised this early enough, and has learnt swift conflict resolution will save his ears and blood pressure. Shikena.
Re: How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages by debosky(m): 10:53am On Jul 08, 2013
Ihedinobi: May God deliver His People from the wise men of Nairaland. "Men are not verbal creatures". What am I and what are all these politicians in the world? Women?

You, my brother, may be a different species altogether then. grin

I think those who said men are not verbal creatures meant that in many/most cases men are less likely to persist with long verbal exchanges with their spouses. Clearly exceptions exist, and it will also depend on the particular situation in question.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Malnourished Child & mother Inside IDP Camp Borno (Photo) / I Don't Feel Attracted To My Wife Anymore / My Husband And I Are Not Talking - And I Don't Know What To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.