Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,166 members, 7,811,377 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 (9245 Views)

Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination / Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy / President-Elect To Emerge Today-Jega (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 5:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
Another Lagos business owner wink

Texas.Cowgirl:
LAGOS, Nigeria — A woman who could be considered Africa's Oprah Winfrey is launching an entertainment network that will be beamed into nearly every country on the continent with programs showcasing its burgeoning middle class.
Mosunmola "Mo" Abudu wants EbonyLife TV to inspire Africans and the rest of the world, and change how viewers perceive the continent. The network's programming tackles women's daily life subjects — everything from sex tips to skin bleaching.
"Not every African woman has a pile of wood on her head and a baby strapped to her back!" the glamorous 48-year-old told The Associated Press from a hotel's penthouse floor against a backdrop of the Atlantic Ocean and high-rise buildings flanked by palm and almond trees.

LAGOS, Nigeria — A woman who could be considered Africa's Oprah Winfrey is launching an entertainment network that will be beamed into nearly every country on the continent with programs showcasing its burgeoning middle class.
Mosunmola "Mo" Abudu wants EbonyLife TV to inspire Africans and the rest of the world, and change how viewers perceive the continent. The network's programming tackles women's daily life subjects — everything from sex tips to skin bleaching.
"Not every African woman has a pile of wood on her head and a baby strapped to her back!" the glamorous 48-year-old told The Associated Press from a hotel's penthouse floor against a backdrop of the Atlantic Ocean and high-rise buildings flanked by palm and almond trees.

"We watch Hollywood as if all of America is Hollywood," she said. "In that same vein we need to start selling the good bits of Africa."
Months of work to provide original content includes the flagship program "Sistaz!" about two Greek-Nigerian sisters and a British-born Nigerian friend who check into the Eko Hotel for a holiday reunion and rediscover the passion of sisterhood and the vibrant city of Lagos.
"It helps show that you can go to Africa for a holiday, you can go to Nigeria on holiday, you can go to Lagos" and enjoy a vacation, Abudu said of the much-maligned Nigerian financial capital that is much improved since the country transitioned from military dictatorship to civilian rule in 1999.
The characters are as cosmopolitan as Abudu, a tall and elegant woman with sculpted cheekbones. She was born in London, came to Nigeria when she was a youngster and returned to Britain after her father died when she was 12. She returned to settle when she married a Nigerian at age 28.
Once her children were in their teens, Abudu, a former executive with the oil giant Exxon-Mobil, abandoned a 20-year career in human resources in 2006 to become a self-taught television talk show host. "Moments with Mo" became the first syndicated daily talk show on African regional TV and also is aired in Britain on a Sky TV channel.
She has interviewed celebrities from Hillary Rodham Clinton, former African presidents F. W. de Klerk of South Africa and John Kufuor of Ghana, former England soccer skipper Rio Ferdinand, musician R. Kelly and American fashion icon Diane Von Furstenberg.
A telling moment for Abudu came she was standing at London's Marble Arch and decided, on a whim, to ask people what came to their minds when they heard the word Africa.
The answers ranged from Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe's dictatorial ruler of 33 years, the British charity Oxfam and famine to babies with flies on their faces. "The nicest thing I heard was 'sunshine,'" said an appalled Abudu.
Years later, she is setting out to transform that vision by shining a bright light on the so-called "dark continent's" riches — its super-talented young entrepreneurs, fabulous art scene, up-and-coming fashion designers, provocative authors and sassy musicians.
One program is hosted by rhythm and blues artist Banky W and singer-songwriter Tiwa Savage. Their first program discusses why more and more Nigerian women are bleaching their skins and whether men prefer lighter-skinned black women.
So the network will not ignore some of the darker sides of Africa's realities, though Abudu promises "a different reality."
It will feature a specially commissioned movie, "New Horizons," from award-winning filmmaker Tope Oshin Ogun that bares the plight of women across the continent subjected to domestic abuse, a prevalent crime that is not often addressed.
And radio host Oreka Godis stars in "Love Lounge," where she will ask the cheeky questions for which she is known of sexologists, life coaches and psychotherapists.
While Nollywood movies also are notorious for often poor quality, though this is improving, Abudu aims for the highest quality in a network she hopes will eventually be broadcast beyond Africa to the millions in the diaspora.
"What we say is 'Everything you think you know about Africa is about to change,'" Abudu said.
- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/business/media_marketing/2013/07/nigerian_woman_launches_entertainment_tv_network#sthash.ws2PmgcG.dpuf

- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/business/media_marketing/2013/07/nigerian_woman_launches_entertainment_tv_network#sthash.ws2PmgcG.dpuf
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 03, 2013
Demswear4u?:
As far as i know,the only thing required is money.
As long as the company is willing to sell.

Thanks babe kiss
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Demswear4u: 5:15pm On Jul 03, 2013
ebankole: grin

WHY LOT OF FELLA FROM THE OTHER SIDE ALWAYS FEEL AND SPILL BITTER WHEN IT COMES TO ANYRTHING GOOD IN OUR BELOVED SW NA? ehn?
O BOY SW IS COMING UP AND BECOMING GREAT ON A DAILY BASIS-OGUN PPLE IN THE HOUZ I HAIL.OGUN IS ANOTHER ABOUT-BECOMING-GREAT IN THE SW O.
IBADAN KO PLUS ONDO ETC MENN HATER AR GONNA HAV MORE REASON TO8
ssshhh.
I am not from the SW,neither do i habour any ill against the SW.
Don't make hasty generations.
Btw,other parts of the nation are developing too,especially the ND.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by ebankole: 5:20pm On Jul 03, 2013
Demswear4u?:
ssshhh.
I am not from the SW,neither do i habour any ill against the SW.
Don't make hasty generations.
Btw,other parts of the nation are developing too,especially the ND.

IF U ARE RIGHT AS U SAID U AV NO REASON TO QUOTE ME THEN-I DIDN'T EVEN STATE A STATE.
I ONLY REFER TO HATERS.or are u?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by plaindealer: 5:21pm On Jul 03, 2013
Gbawe:

So tiring. Every topic here, no matter how positive, has to suffer because of this.

Their distraction and bitterness gets too nauseating and disheartening sometimes. I don't know how they shoulder that sad and unhealthy burden...
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by ektbear: 5:24pm On Jul 03, 2013
nice
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Gbawe: 5:27pm On Jul 03, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Nice wink

How about investments? Like let's say I want to buy parts of a company.

The main challenge will be raising capital locally because , unlike where you are in the West, ideas alone, regardless of how good and feasible they are, may not be enough to get the credit facility you want. You are not a Lagos worker attached to any PAYE scheme either so you will probably fall into the category of those lenders will demand collateral for. What I can suggest if for you to begin planning now while abroad to raise finance over their for your planned business venture in Nigeria.

When you are ready, consider a professionally prepared feasibility report you can use to woo potential lenders over there which could literally be anyone from friends, family to formal lenders. If you can obtain formal credit from over there, then probably better anyway as the interest rate will be lower than that you can get in Nigeria. Don't be discouraged. Just go for it.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Demswear4u: 5:29pm On Jul 03, 2013
ebankole:

IF U ARE RIGHT AS U SAID U AV NO REASON TO QUOTE ME THEN-I DIDN'T EVEN STATE A STATE.
stop looking for enemies where there are none.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 03, 2013
Gbawe:

The main challenge will be raising capital locally because , unlike where you are in the West, ideas alone, regardless of how good and feasible they are, may not be enough to get the credit facility you want. You are not a Lagos worker attached to any PAYE scheme either so you will probably fall into the category of those lenders will demand collateral for. What I can suggest if for you to begin planning now while abroad to raise finance over their for your planned business venture in Nigeria.

When you are ready, consider a professionally prepared feasibility report you can use to woo potential lenders over there which could literally be anyone from friends, family to formal lenders. If you can obtain formal credit from over there, then probably better anyway as the interest rate will be lower than that you can get in Nigeria. Don't be discouraged. Just go for it.

Thank you smiley

I'm not planning to live in Nigeria tho. Here's my plan; business in Nigeria, working abroad. Is that feasible?
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 03, 2013
plaindealer:

What's your point?
dat 80% of pple in dubai are foreigners and they ar d workforce,they contribute to D GDP largely.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by ebankole: 5:39pm On Jul 03, 2013
Demswear4u?:
stop looking for enemies where there are none.

NOPE I AIN'T THAT TYPE JUST TRYIN TO PLAY THE GENERAL MIND GAME-
IF ONE HAS TO LEAD SUCH KIND OF HATE AS DISPLY ON NL PHYSICALY-BLIF ME BRO IS GONNA TO ADD HATE-MORE N MORE OF BITER LIFE WHICH I DONT WANT.
ONE LUV.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 03, 2013
ebankole: grin

WHY LOT OF FELLA FROM THE OTHER SIDE ALWAYS FEEL AND SPILL BITTER WHEN IT COMES TO ANYRTHING GOOD IN OUR BELOVED SW NA? ehn?
O BOY SW IS COMING UP AND BECOMING GREAT ON A DAILY BASIS-OGUN PPLE IN THE HOUZ I HAIL.OGUN IS ANOTHER ABOUT-BECOMING-GREAT IN THE SW O.
IBADAN KO PLUS ONDO ETC MENN HATER AR GONNA HAV MORE REASON TO8
ar u serious?Guy so since dem born u,u neva cross the borda of dis ur so called sw?Nawa o.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Gbawe: 5:54pm On Jul 03, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Thank you smiley

I'm not planning to live in Nigeria tho. Here's my plan; business in Nigeria, working abroad. Is that feasible?

Very feasible. In fact, in my opinion, it is the best way to do it after you have been abroad for a while.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by plaindealer: 6:03pm On Jul 03, 2013
Emmadani: dat 80% of pple in dubai are foreigners and they ar d workforce,they contribute to D GDP largely.

What's this got to do with me or my comments and of what relevance is.this to the topic especially since its a known fact that their are foreigners in every economy and lagos is not an exception. So, of what use or relevance was that info?

Or do you mean 80% of the folks in Lagos are foreigners? I just don't get your drift..
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by ebankole: 6:06pm On Jul 03, 2013
Emmadani: ar u serious?Guy so since dem born u,u neva cross the borda of dis ur so called sw?Nawa o.

eyaaaa
i must say i do understand how u feel.
with the same mentality of ur fella on a daily basis-its quite comprehendable-tell me more i dont knw about u pple and i will get more use to it.LOOOOOOL
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 03, 2013
^^^I just dey waste my tym with learners.Smh
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by RedLight1: 8:20pm On Jul 03, 2013
proudly lagosian cool
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by rhames(m): 9:06pm On Jul 03, 2013
how manage?
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by 99cent: 9:36pm On Jul 03, 2013
2014 is only 5 months away jor. so is it safe to say that we are already 13th largest economy in Africa?
what are the other 12 economies/ cities?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 03, 2013
ebankole:

GBAM!!!u are too wise. i luv ur response.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Ngwakwe: 11:05pm On Jul 03, 2013
Unfortunately in Lagos case, 80% of the investments are owned by non Lagosians who have equal right in all respect both to vote and to determine its political structures.

Lagos is not South West Capital but former Nigeria Administrative Capital and presently its Commercial Capital where every Nigerian is free to invest because of the conducive environment the FG created over several decades.

Emmadani: dat 80% of pple in dubai are foreigners and they ar d workforce,they contribute to D GDP largely.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 6:23am On Jul 04, 2013
Ngwakwe: Unfortunately in Lagos case, 80% of the investments are owned by non Lagosians who have equal right in all respect both to vote and to determine its political structures.

Lagos is not South West Capital but former Nigeria Administrative Capital and presently its Commercial Capital where every Nigerian is free to invest because of the conducive environment the FG created over several decades.

thats what am trying to say.BUT lagosians would take it as they are the MAIN pple dat would make d economy large.But they wil not undastand dat d outsiders are responsible 4 d investments and economy of lagos.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 6:36am On Jul 04, 2013
Emmadani: thats what am trying to say.BUT lagosians would take it as they are the MAIN pple dat would make d economy large.But they wil not undastand dat d outsiders are responsible 4 d investments and economy of lagos.
If it's really their efforts, Ile-Ife their heartland should be their greatest city, i just wonder why it is not more than glorified 14th century town grin. The same Lagosi that was a slave and war camp without any important place in their history. Ask them why they left the Bini to name their beloved lagosi for them. Ask them the meaning of Eko in yoruba. They'll just mope in confusion. cheesy
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 04, 2013
100%+ strangers or not, Lagos already sabi d owners like Dubai does. foreigners forever do d job, while d owners forever take control and take d credit. SHIKENA.
..Eko o ni baje ooooooooo.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 10:45am On Jul 04, 2013
dozzybaba: If it's really their efforts, Ile-Ife their heartland should be their greatest city, i just wonder why it is not more than glorified 14th century town grin. The same Lagosi that was a slave and war camp without any important place in their history. Ask them why they left the Bini to name their beloved lagosi for them. Ask them the meaning of Eko in yoruba. They'll just mope in confusion. cheesy
eko is a benin word,..!I wil even say d benin pple own lagos.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 04, 2013
Most of d places in lagos island as a benin name,even d oba of lagos,d king of al d obas in lagos, d attire he wears is a benin attire...!So no body can claim lagos,d yoruba's cannot even claim lagos if nigeria whr to divide 2day.Lagos na everyman land,yoruba man cannot even talk or try to claim lagos..!Even igbo get their own land 4 lagos,dats y u wil hear Lagos bin addressed as the western igboland and yorubaland.So no body get lagos,even pple 4 benin republic and togo get mouth 4 lagos.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by ebankole: 11:22am On Jul 04, 2013
BENIN OR WHAT U SAID?
YORUBA HAS ROOT IN BENIN YES THERE ARE FEW BEARING YORUBA NAME because WE HAVE FEW YORUBA PORTION.
IF BENIN THEN CLAIM LAGOS I GUESS THEY ARE PART OF US SW THEN,SIMPLY because LAG IS IN SW & yoruba HAV ROOT IN BENIN.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by nostimi4u(m): 1:04pm On Jul 04, 2013
marvellous; beta days ahead
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 04, 2013
ebankole: BENIN OR WHAT U SAID?
YORUBA HAS ROOT IN BENIN YES THERE ARE FEW BEARING YORUBA NAME because WE HAVE FEW YORUBA PORTION.
IF BENIN THEN CLAIM LAGOS I GUESS THEY ARE PART OF US SW THEN,SIMPLY because LAG IS IN SW & yoruba HAV ROOT IN BENIN.
yoruba is not mainly a tribe in nigeria,it is a tribe in west africa just like hausa.Sum western state in africa speak hausa like niger,mali,chad etc,dats how yoruba is yoruba is also a tribe in togo,benin republic,ghana,siera leone,gambia even in south america "brazil" to b precise...!Bak to d matta,who are dis lagosians?90% of pple in lagos are not necesarily 4rm lagos,pple wil kum 4rm osun,oyo,ondo,ogun,ekiti and say dey are lagosians..!I did my primary nd sec skul in lagos,even b4 u c sumbody dat say he/she is a lagosian,its not easy.Most of dem are 4rm ogun,osun,edo,oyo even delta and d rest igbos...!Even una tinubu,go n research is background he is 4rm osun,even fashola wife na 4rm osun.Even sum of u 4 dis nairaland wil kum 4rm ogun and osun and be shouting eko o ni ba je o...!Lagos na evrybody land,benin,togo,osun,ogun,igbos nd every every,na dem get lagos.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by nduchucks: 1:45pm On Jul 04, 2013
edoyad: My sweet Kd. If only positive kaduna would be seperated from Negative kaduna sad

Would you kindly suggest how this separation can be accomplished? It may be easier to find a way to live together in peace than to put in place this separation you are suggesting.
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Katsumoto: 2:39pm On Jul 04, 2013
Ngwakwe: Unfortunately in Lagos case, 80% of the investments are owned by non Lagosians who have equal right in all respect both to vote and to determine its political structures.

When folks want to steal from you, they start to manufacture lies.

Can you tell us how the FG created the conducive atmosphere? And more importantly, can you tell us why the FG can't create such an environment in Borno, Yobe, Jigawa?
Re: Lagos To Emerge 13th Largest Economy In Africa By 2014 by Katsumoto: 2:41pm On Jul 04, 2013
Emmadani: thats what am trying to say.BUT lagosians would take it as they are the MAIN pple dat would make d economy large.But they wil not undastand dat d outsiders are responsible 4 d investments and economy of lagos.

Why can't the OUTSIDERS make the economy of where they are INSIDERS large?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

9,000 Nigerians In Foreign Prisons - FG / Breaking!! Nigeria Can't Find Buyers For Her Oil / FG To Provide Insurance Cover For Ranch Operators - Audu Ogbeh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.