Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Giving Birth In Canada - Travel (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Giving Birth In Canada (685229 Views)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 4 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 3 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Geeagu: 3:40am On Mar 27, 2018
Oh I forgot to add the paediatrician visit for baby to be checked after 48hrs and his circumcision.

I went after 72hrs though. They just check baby’s weight and all.
I googled walk in clinics near me and used the closest one. It was $50 which I think it’s the standard. During this visit, vitamin D was prescribed as baby is exclusively breastfed and they don’t get a lot of vitamin D and seeing as we’re not in Nigeria for better sun to help us, I took the vitamin D supplement as recommended.

I’m aware that some people might not see the usefulness in this visit but as a first time Mum, some of my concerns were addressed at this visit and I’d recommend it to FTMs.

Dr asked us to come back after a week to just make sure baby had regained his birth weight and all. That’s an extra $50. To be honest, if not that my friend really really thought it was a good idea and even offered to pay lol, hubby and I would have just used a scale at home to weigh baby the old fashioned way. Again, use your discretion and or mother’s instinct.

Circumcision
Cost: $150
Dr used is a Jewish dr based in Toronto. He was recommended by a friend who had used him twice and had no issues. I did mine at day 5 and he did a fantastic job. No pain or discomfort afterwards and it all healed up after day 2. Let me just also add that it’s very pretty �

Sorry for long sermon

Geeagu:
Hello everyone,
So as promised, here’s an update on my general experience.

POE experience : scroll to previous post below this one.

Dr: Dr Kayode Ayodele (his clinic is at Brampton, almost opposite/adjacent to the Brampton Civic Hospital)
Fee: $3,500 (this includes all antenatal visits, dr’s fees, paediatrician fee (this is who checks the baby at the hospital before you get discharged), anesthesiologist (so this covers epidural should you need it and in case of CS as well), 1 postpartum visit at 6 weeks for those who would be here at that time. I wouldn’t and I intend to visit him shortly before I leave for a quick checkup. He may or may not agree to this but that’s my plan).

Lab work:
I would advise that you find out exactly what tests your dr would need you to do and sort the ones you can sort in your country of residence especially if they are free over there like in my case.

I ended up paying about $55 for the 2 tests I did (Rubella and GBS). Unfortunately UK doesn’t offer these tests else I would have paid nothing.

Bear in mind that you are not obliged to use one particular lab. I did my research and I found out that Dynacare was cheaper than Lifelab so I went for them instead.

Hospital: Brampton Civic Hospital
Fee: $2000 per day for Mum and $600 per day for child. For vaginal birth which was what I had, you get discharged within 24hrs which means you’ll only have to pay $2,600 for mother and child. If it’s CS, the minimum stay is 48hrs which should be $5,200 for mother and child.

For me, I had a post delivery ultrascan because my placenta was manually removed and dr wanted to be sure that she got everything out ok. I forgot to ask if the money I paid already covers this but she didn’t also ask. So far (15days pp) I’ve not got any bills via post. If I do, I’ll come back and update.

So even though you’re signed up with Dr Kayode (in my case), if you went into labour when he’s not on duty, that means another dr would be assigned to you for delivery. The dr that delivered my baby (Dr Sahi) was absolutely brilliant.

Please note that hospital fee is for delivery without complications.

Birth registration (long birth certificate) and birth certificate (short birth certificate)

Fee: $60 ($35 and $25 respectively)
Paid online via Service Ontario website (www.serviceontario.ca). It’s the 4-in-1 bundle but do not tick the SIN and health card options as they do not apply to you if you’re not a permanent resident in Canada.
Be sure that all your details are correct before submitting. When we received our son’s certificate, we realised there was a mistake on dad’s dob, this means we had to call service Ontario and get them to send us a form for correction. This form cannot be obtained online, you have to call them and get them to send it to you, then you complete it, send the incorrect ones with the form back and they then send you the correct version (we’re still waiting to receive this form, I’ll update on how long it took to sort it all out).
The original one took 5 working days (applied on Tuesday, got the birth certificates Wednesday the following week).

Passport:
Even though the long birth certificate had error, we still took it along with dad’s passport. We explained the situation and luckily they agreed to still process the passport after verifying dob on dad’s passport.

Fee: $57, expedited for 5 working days for extra $50 so total paid: $107
So we applied Thursday (22/03), we’ll pick up Thursday (29/03).

Without expediting the process, the handler mentioned that the earliest pick up time would have been 9th April ie 10 working days considering the bank holidays for Easter. So not too bad although this depends on backlog etc. If not that I’d be leaving before then, I would explore that option and save my $50 to be honest.

I did ask option for next day pick up and the handler said I didn’t qualify for that option because my travel date wasn’t within 48hrs of applying. There’s an option for date of travel on the form, if you want 24hrs pick up, you should ensure this date is within 48hrs from when you apply. I didn’t ask for the cost, I’m guessing it’ll be more than the extra $50 for 5-10 business day expedited service.

I applied in person in Mississauga where I stayed so pick up will be there too. I hear you’ll have to pick up from Mississauga anyway if you applied in Brampton.

Accommodation was free for me. Transport was subsidised in the sense that my friend or her mom would take me for appointment or anything when they are available.

The few times I took uber for my antenatal it was approximately $70 round trip. I came in at 35weeks, so assuming I never got help from my friend, the minimum I’d be paying for uber would have been $350. If you drive, you may want to consider renting a car. When my hubby arrived, we rented for about 8 days and it didn’t cost an arm and a leg considering the convenience.

In summary:
Dr fee: $3,500
Hospital: $2,600
Lab: $55
Birth certificate: $60
Passport: $107
Total: $6,262

Accommodation, feeding and transport will vary depending on where you decide to go as per city and if you have any help with any of them.

Good luck to all expecting mums and dads. God bless you all!

PS - all amount are in Canadian dollars.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 4:02am On Mar 27, 2018
well done. is thr jewish dr at almost Jane and Finch intersection, beside the old Humber River Hospital?

Geeagu:
Oh I forgot to add the paediatrician visit for baby to be checked after 48hrs and his circumcision.

I went after 72hrs though. They just check baby’s weight and all.
I googled walk in clinics near me and used the closest one. It was $50 which I think it’s the standard. During this visit, vitamin D was prescribed as baby is exclusively breastfed and they don’t get a lot of vitamin D and seeing as we’re not in Nigeria for better sun to help us, I took the vitamin D supplement as recommended.

I’m aware that some people might not see the usefulness in this visit but as a first time Mum, some of my concerns were addressed at this visit and I’d recommend it to FTMs.

Dr asked us to come back after a week to just make sure baby had regained his birth weight and all. That’s an extra $50. To be honest, if not that my friend really really thought it was a good idea and even offered to pay lol, hubby and I would have just used a scale at home to weigh baby the old fashioned way. Again, use your discretion and or mother’s instinct.

Circumcision
Cost: $150
Dr used is a Jewish dr based in Toronto. He was recommended by a friend who had used him twice and had no issues. I did mine at day 5 and he did a fantastic job. No pain or discomfort afterwards and it all healed up after day 2. Let me just also add that it’s very pretty �

Sorry for long sermon

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Gottigoodgood: 1:20pm On Mar 27, 2018
If you Google urgent care you will see clinics in your area.....it's the same.

hajidel:
Thanks hotstepper, always find myself calculating in USD. So the prices quoted are not too bad considering the CAD against USD.

So which urgent care? I have tried to look for urgent care but nothing comes up. Do they have different names?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Eilenora: 1:55pm On Mar 27, 2018
Hi guys.

Many thanks for your comments.

My search keeps hitting a brick wall. My host helped call both Dr. Abou and Dr. Kayode. Both said they ve stopped accepting cash paying patients but we should check in another 2 to 3 months if this policy has been reviewed.

My bro stays in London Ontario area.

Am out of options.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 2:00pm On Mar 27, 2018
Wow! ur bro stays in London Ontario and you want to have a baby in Brampton. ah plz oo no try am .

Let your brother find a dr in London ontario or eveb get inside nd he will take u to u to his family dr who will refer u to a gynea.

Note to all,make sure u have more thab enough money if u r going abroad to have a baby .

I am so surprised dr ayodele has stopped ..wow

Eilenora:
Hi guys.

Many thanks for your comments.

My search keeps hitting a brick wall. My host helped call both Dr. Abou and Dr. Kayode. Both said they ve stopped accepting cash paying patients but we should check in another 2 to 3 months if this policy has been reviewed.

My bro stays in London Ontario area.

Am out of options.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by hajidel: 2:20pm On Mar 27, 2018
Hotstepper:

French city. theres someone that had a baby there last year...dunno if she updated the room or even still active here

Wow french city indeed is stupendous compared to what we have been reading here in Toronto and unfortunately we do not know anyone in Toronto and wifey is first pregnancy and will be risky to leave her by herself otherwise would've rented out an apartment for couple months. I did go through the forum again cos I thought i had read someone giving birth in Montreal but unfortunately its not the case, can't find anything. And the horror story i could find was one of our colleagues on here being turned away at Montreal POE for being pregnant and a potential birth tourist.

Gottigoodgood:

If you Google urgent care you will see clinics in your area.....it's the same.

Ok thanks I'll keep trying. We did go to some place they referred us to and they wouldn't accept cash payment only insurance patients and a couple of hospitals more that said they don't take new patients or their doctors don't do deliveries anymore. I'm hitting a brick wall now.

What we are now seriously considering though is a birth center attached to a hospital in Ottawa which is a couple hours away and someone has offered to accommodate wifey. If all fails she has return ticket and we will come back home to birth, its not the end of the world.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 2:25pm On Mar 27, 2018
since you have someone in Ottawa to acxomodate you, take a trio..i think about 1 hr from Montreal nd explore.

If that doesnt work, biko no send wifey bk. if u have money to rent her a place around me, then consider that too nd i will keep an eye on her .

Good Luck

hajidel:

Wow french city indeed is stupendous compared to what we have been reading here in Toronto and unfortunately we do not know anyone in Toronto and wifey is first pregnancy and will be risky to leave her by herself otherwise would've rented out an apartment for couple months. I did go through the forum again cos I thought i had read someone giving birth in Montreal but unfortunately its not the case, can't find anything. And the horror story i could find was one of our colleagues on here being turned away at Montreal POE for being pregnant and a potential birth tourist.

Ok thanks I'll keep trying. We did go to some place they referred us to and they wouldn't accept cash payment only insurance patients and a couple of hospitals more that said they don't take new patients or their doctors don't do deliveries anymore. I'm hitting a brick wall now.

What we are now seriously considering though is a birth center attached to a hospital in Ottawa which is a couple hours away and someone has offered to accommodate wifey. If all fails she has return ticket and we will come back home to birth, its not the end of the world.

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Geeagu: 3:05pm On Mar 27, 2018
Im quite surprised too but Nigerians don’t help. Just this past Feb, he complained that he delivered someone's baby via CS and before they left for hospital he asked the lady if she has paid and she said yes. He’s done delivery and returned to his clinic just to be called by hospital that the lady is yet to pay.

Just spoiling ground for well meaning people. Like hotstepper said, if you want abroad baby, have the abroad money.

For Dr Kayode, walking in to find info is better than phoning well in my case it was. All the info I was asking via phone was so easy to obtain when I walked in.

Wish you all the best

Hotstepper:

Wow! ur bro stays in London Ontario and you want to have a baby in Brampton. ah plz oo no try am .

Let your brother find a dr in London ontario or eveb get inside nd he will take u to u to his family dr who will refer u to a gynea.

Note to all,make sure u have more thab enough money if u r going abroad to have a baby .

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by hajidel: 3:29pm On Mar 27, 2018
Thanks so much for your offer Hotstepper. God bless; Sending wifey back will be last resort of course but if all fails and for her and baby safety and reduce risk if no hospital or Dr is got, I will have to send her back as she can successfully give birth back home as well.

If i remember well you are in Missisigua / Toronto?
And will you be able to organize accommodation for us to rent?
And get us a doctor and hospital?

We will look at the Ottawa option as well in the meantime.

Hotstepper:

since you have someone in Ottawa to acxomodate you, take a trio..i think about 1 hr from Montreal nd explore.

If that doesnt work, biko no send wifey bk. if u have money to rent her a place around me, then consider that too nd i will keep an eye on her .

Good Luck

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Geeagu: 3:51pm On Mar 27, 2018
Hi Hotstepper,

I’m obviously not familiar with that axis so didn’t notice the Humber River Hospital but the address is on Finch Avenue so could be him. He’s Dr Nadel.

Hotstepper:

well done. is thr jewish dr at almost Jane and Finch intersection, beside the old Humber River Hospital?

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 4:28pm On Mar 27, 2018
its the place nd dr. hes the one that did for my son too in 2011..very good nd popular. I am surprised his fee is still 150

Geeagu:
Hi Hotstepper,

I’m obviously not familiar with that axis so didn’t notice the Humber River Hospital but the address is on Finch Avenue so could be him. He’s Dr Nadel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by manlikegb: 4:30pm On Mar 27, 2018
Geeagu:
Im quite surprised too but Nigerians don’t help. Just this past Feb, he complained that he delivered someone's baby via CS and before they left for hospital he asked the lady if she has paid and she said yes. He’s done delivery and returned to his clinic just to be called by hospital that the lady is yet to pay.

Just spoiling ground for well meaning people. Like hotstepper said, if you want abroad baby, have the abroad money.

For Dr Kayode, walking in to find info is better than phoning well in my case it was. All the info I was asking via phone was so easy to obtain when I walked in.

Wish you all the best

@Eilenora, @Geeagu, @Hotstepper, I am seriously considering Dr Ayodele and Dr Seido because we will be able to stay with a friend in Brampton. I was going to put a call through to them this week but with this latest development of no cash-paying client, I'm confused. Any suggestions please, July is EDD.

Thanks for your time.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 4:32pm On Mar 27, 2018
None of those placessmiley

hajidel:
Thanks so much for your offer Hotstepper. God bless; Sending wifey back will be last resort of course but if all fails and for her and baby safety and reduce risk if no hospital or Dr is got, I will have to send her back as she can successfully give birth back home as well.

If i remember well you are in Missisigua / Toronto?
And will you be able to organize accommodation for us to rent?
And get us a doctor and hospital?

We will look at the Ottawa option as well in the meantime.

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by hajidel: 4:55pm On Mar 27, 2018
Ok will if it comes to it be able to assist in the previous post that I replied to?

Hotstepper:

None of those placessmiley

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 5:16pm On Mar 27, 2018
I dmed u

hajidel:
Ok will if it comes to it be able to assist in the previous post that I replied to?

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Eilenora: 5:44pm On Mar 27, 2018
Thing is my bro is new in London. He just came in january so doesnt knw much about these things. I even have more info than him sef. They also don know how family doctors work as they dont have one. Hs a student and both him amd d wife came in thru PR.

All d gynaes we r seein in his area are all afdilliated with Victoria hosp which doesnt accept cash payin patients etha.

quote author=Hotstepper post=66200935]

[/quote]
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 5:47pm On Mar 27, 2018
Na wah ooo... when r u due?

Eilenora:
Thing is my bro is new in London. He just came in january so doesnt knw much about these things. I even have more info than him sef. They also don know how family doctors work as they dont have one. Hs a student and both him amd d wife came in thru PR.

All d gynaes we r seein in his area are all afdilliated with Victoria hosp which doesnt accept cash payin patients etha.

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Eilenora: 5:47pm On Mar 27, 2018
Pls call and give us an update on the position as at today. Hope no b say d person am sendn 2 do d ground work is doin 1 foul play somewhere

manlikegb:

@Eilenora, @Geeagu, @Hotstepper, I am seriously considering Dr Ayodele and Dr Seido because we will be able to stay with a friend in Brampton. I was going to put a call through to them this week but with this latest development of no cash-paying client, I'm confused. Any suggestions please, July is EDD.

Thanks for your time.
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Eilenora: 5:50pm On Mar 27, 2018
Oct but all ds info is required for visa purposes as i am yet to apply for my visa. Want to put it under 'other' so my intention is known from day 1.

I hav another cuzn in brampton so worst case il move to hers wen i hv 2 go 2 d doctors or hospital.just cant stay with her d entire time cos she stays in a 2 bed and has a room mate

quote author=Hotstepper post=66207381]
Na wah ooo... when r u due?

[/quote]
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by hajidel: 6:19pm On Mar 27, 2018
Can you re-send please nothing found. Thank you.

Hotstepper:

I dmed u

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 9:38pm On Mar 27, 2018
Ok but u know u wont be given an IV letter or recommendation letter by any dr

Eilenora:

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by hajidel: 9:55pm On Mar 27, 2018
Acknowledged

Hotstepper:

I dmed u

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by dserious: 10:04pm On Mar 27, 2018
Hello all......hotstepper, Geeagu....i see u wink

Wow, its a pity Dr. Ayodele has stopped taking cash patients, Dr Seido stopped sometime last year. Brampton people can try Dr Nayla Khan of Brampton Civic. She's in the same building with Dr Ayodele. As at last month she was still taking cash patients, i hope she still does. Her fee is 3500cad for either Vaginal or C-section delivery; inclusive of epidural. Her number is 9054979002 so just call, although you would need to get a referral from any family doctor or walk-in clinic before she registers you.

I have received a couple dms about baby document processing and promised to answer on the forum for the benefit of all. Geeagu has provided detailed info but i will expatiate on the canadian passport application:
- Pick up a hard copy application from any shopper's drugmart store attached to a post office - the form is free so take 2 copies just incase you make a mistake
- You would need some information on the the long birth cert and hospital discharge report to fill the application form
- The other information required are mostly you and hubby's personal information. If hubby is not with you, provide his info on the form but don't sign on his behalf. He will need to visit a Canadian embassy to sign.
- 2 passport photo of baby - please ask to ensure the photographer is aware of the Canada passport requirement before taking the photo. I paid 12cad for ordinary passport photo
- You would need a canadian citizen to sign as a guarantor on the application form, the guarantor will provide citizenship number. He will also need to sign on baby's photo
- Google to find out the nearest passport application center to you. Just walk in (no need to book appointments or anything) and submit your application
- If hubby is not with you, they will give you the information he requires to sign at the Canadian embassy
- I also did the express application and it costs 107cad, my pick up was in 4days cos my travel date was close

Good luck to everyone kiss

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by dserious: 10:14pm On Mar 27, 2018
preciousfab:
Hi,

Please
I was given the information that some hospitals have special reduced rate for women without Health Insurance coverage. The first thing then is to ask your hospital if they have payment plans for women with low income. Payment plans could be installment or a large cut off from the initial bill. In essence, dont be scared of the big figures you hear or see, you may not pay up to the big cost. They will need evidence you earn low and thanks to poor naira to dollar exchange ...all the big naira na small dollars. Your Nigeria payslip is enough for this I was informed. Having said that, if you provide me with the name of hospital , I could make calls for you to know their pricing and of other plans that will be beneficial. Good news is that, if they dont offer what is needed, they will refer to where such cheaper maternity services could be accessed. Anywhere in this place is good, the system works..no story...although some hospitals could have more facilities but basically...You will be fine...Pray also.

I will respond.

This is amazing.....Preciousfab, kindly help provide names of the hospitals you know that offer such packages, God bless you for the generous offer to help with calling and accommodation cos this journey can be exhausting for people that don't know anyone in Canada....
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by hajidel: 10:34pm On Mar 27, 2018
For the bolded is that a must? Or why is that required if I may?

dserious:

Wow, its a pity Dr. Ayodele has stopped taking cash patients, Dr Seido stopped sometime last year. Brampton people can try Dr Nayla Khan of Brampton Civic. She's in the same building with Dr Ayodele. As at last month she was still taking cash patients, i hope she still does. Her fee is 3500cad for either Vaginal or C-section delivery; inclusive of epidural. Her number is 9054979002 so just call, although you would need to get a referral from any family doctor or walk-in clinic before she registers you.

I have received a couple dms about baby document processing and promised to answer on the forum for the benefit of all. Geeagu has provided detailed info but i will expatiate on the canadian passport application:
- Pick up a hard copy application from any shopper's drugmart store attached to a post office - the form is free so take 2 copies just incase you make a mistake
- You would need some information on the the long birth cert and hospital discharge report to fill the application form
- The other information required are mostly you and hubby's personal information. If hubby is not with you, provide his info on the form but don't sign on his behalf. He will need to visit a Canadian embassy to sign.
- 2 passport photo of baby - please ask to ensure the photographer is aware of the Canada passport requirement before taking the photo. I paid 12cad for ordinary passport photo
- You would need a canadian citizen to sign as a guarantor on the application form, the guarantor will provide citizenship number. He will also need to sign on baby's photo
- Google to find out the nearest passport application center to you. Just walk in (no need to book appointments or anything) and submit your application
- If hubby is not with you, they will give you the information he requires to sign at the Canadian embassy
- I also did the express application and it costs 107cad, my pick up was in 4days cos my travel date was close

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Geeagu: 10:54pm On Mar 27, 2018
Hey Dserious, hope you got back OK!

Thanks for expatiating more on the passport form. I actually printed mine so if you have access to a printer you could do that too.

dserious:

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Geeagu: 10:56pm On Mar 27, 2018
It is a must! As for why it’s required, I don’t know but my friend who’s a Canadian citizen had to do that for her daughter too so it’s not just for non-residents. It’s required for all newborn passports. Hotstepper might be able to provide the why.

hajidel:

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Eilenora: 1:56am On Mar 28, 2018
Yea but if i am able to book an appointment i cn fill in my form with d doctors information isnt it?
I feel like i cnt proceed with my visa application til all ds has been sorted ie hosp, doctor... or am i goin g about things d rong way?

quote author=Hotstepper post=66213854]Ok but u know u wont be given an IV letter or recommendation letter by any dr

[/quote]
Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Hotstepper(f): 1:57am On Mar 28, 2018
Its a must...if u dont know any canadian, then u use a notry officer or lawyer

hajidel:

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Eilenora: 2:03am On Mar 28, 2018
Anyone applied for a visiting visa recently should pls share their timeline.

Also anyone that applied that declared their intention to give birth in Canada, pls share your experience.

Finally, pls advise on how to capture what i do. I work as MD CEO in mums travel agency. I dont earn a salary but i get 50% of wtva sales i make. No contract of emplyment or payslips or salaries. I am also a lawyer so i jst registed my law firm 2 wks ago. How do i say what i do while ensuring the social ties requirement is met? If i use mums agency theres no supporting document as an employee. If i use d law firm, sayin i run my own pracfice wont it look funny since it was only registered 2 weeks ago. This is also giving me sleepless nights. Kindly advise

1 Like

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by Gottigoodgood: 2:23am On Mar 28, 2018
They made some changes....it's now 5-in-1 bundle and they are three option for birth certificate. Below information is what I copy from the Ontario website.

Birth certificate, birth certificate with parental information or certified copy

- birth certificate - $25
- birth certificate with parental information (recommended for newborns and children under 16) - $25
- certified copy of birth registration - $35

Parents no longer need to apply for their baby’s birth certificate and certified copy of birth registration. Parents will only require a birth certificate with parental information for most purposes including a passport.

@hotstepper do you know about these changes?

Geeagu:
Hello everyone,
So as promised, here’s an update on my general experience.

POE experience : scroll to previous post below this one.

Dr: Dr Kayode Ayodele (his clinic is at Brampton, almost opposite/adjacent to the Brampton Civic Hospital)
Fee: $3,500 (this includes all antenatal visits, dr’s fees, paediatrician fee (this is who checks the baby at the hospital before you get discharged), anesthesiologist (so this covers epidural should you need it and in case of CS as well), 1 postpartum visit at 6 weeks for those who would be here at that time. I wouldn’t and I intend to visit him shortly before I leave for a quick checkup. He may or may not agree to this but that’s my plan).

Lab work:
I would advise that you find out exactly what tests your dr would need you to do and sort the ones you can sort in your country of residence especially if they are free over there like in my case.

I ended up paying about $55 for the 2 tests I did (Rubella and GBS). Unfortunately UK doesn’t offer these tests else I would have paid nothing.

Bear in mind that you are not obliged to use one particular lab. I did my research and I found out that Dynacare was cheaper than Lifelab so I went for them instead.

Hospital: Brampton Civic Hospital
Fee: $2000 per day for Mum and $600 per day for child. For vaginal birth which was what I had, you get discharged within 24hrs which means you’ll only have to pay $2,600 for mother and child. If it’s CS, the minimum stay is 48hrs which should be $5,200 for mother and child.

For me, I had a post delivery ultrascan because my placenta was manually removed and dr wanted to be sure that she got everything out ok. I forgot to ask if the money I paid already covers this but she didn’t also ask. So far (15days pp) I’ve not got any bills via post. If I do, I’ll come back and update.

So even though you’re signed up with Dr Kayode (in my case), if you went into labour when he’s not on duty, that means another dr would be assigned to you for delivery. The dr that delivered my baby (Dr Sahi) was absolutely brilliant.

Please note that hospital fee is for delivery without complications.

Birth registration (long birth certificate) and birth certificate (short birth certificate)

Fee: $60 ($35 and $25 respectively)
Paid online via Service Ontario website (www.serviceontario.ca). It’s the 4-in-1 bundle but do not tick the SIN and health card options as they do not apply to you if you’re not a permanent resident in Canada.
Be sure that all your details are correct before submitting. When we received our son’s certificate, we realised there was a mistake on dad’s dob, this means we had to call service Ontario and get them to send us a form for correction. This form cannot be obtained online, you have to call them and get them to send it to you, then you complete it, send the incorrect ones with the form back and they then send you the correct version (we’re still waiting to receive this form, I’ll update on how long it took to sort it all out).
The original one took 5 working days (applied on Tuesday, got the birth certificates Wednesday the following week).

Passport:
Even though the long birth certificate had error, we still took it along with dad’s passport. We explained the situation and luckily they agreed to still process the passport after verifying dob on dad’s passport.

Fee: $57, expedited for 5 working days for extra $50 so total paid: $107
So we applied Thursday (22/03), we’ll pick up Thursday (29/03).

Without expediting the process, the handler mentioned that the earliest pick up time would have been 9th April ie 10 working days considering the bank holidays for Easter. So not too bad although this depends on backlog etc. If not that I’d be leaving before then, I would explore that option and save my $50 to be honest.

I did ask option for next day pick up and the handler said I didn’t qualify for that option because my travel date wasn’t within 48hrs of applying. There’s an option for date of travel on the form, if you want 24hrs pick up, you should ensure this date is within 48hrs from when you apply. I didn’t ask for the cost, I’m guessing it’ll be more than the extra $50 for 5-10 business day expedited service.

I applied in person in Mississauga where I stayed so pick up will be there too. I hear you’ll have to pick up from Mississauga anyway if you applied in Brampton.

Accommodation was free for me. Transport was subsidised in the sense that my friend or her mom would take me for appointment or anything when they are available.

The few times I took uber for my antenatal it was approximately $70 round trip. I came in at 35weeks, so assuming I never got help from my friend, the minimum I’d be paying for uber would have been $350. If you drive, you may want to consider renting a car. When my hubby arrived, we rented for about 8 days and it didn’t cost an arm and a leg considering the convenience.

In summary:
Dr fee: $3,500
Hospital: $2,600
Lab: $55
Birth certificate: $60
Passport: $107
Total: $6,262

Accommodation, feeding and transport will vary depending on where you decide to go as per city and if you have any help with any of them.

Good luck to all expecting mums and dads. God bless you all!

PS - all amount are in Canadian dollars.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Giving Birth In Canada by hajidel: 12:31pm On Mar 28, 2018
You had asked this same question and you were told to go through the thread. Therefore its quite obvious you haven't gone through the thread and I'm guessing the visa is not that important to you if you can't take the time to read through a mere 65 page forum that is full of all the information you may need to successfully get a visa.

Eilenora:
Anyone applied for a visiting visa recently should pls share their timeline.

Also anyone that applied that declared their intention to give birth in Canada, pls share your experience.

Finally, pls advise on how to capture what i do. I work as MD CEO in mums travel agency. I dont earn a salary but i get 50% of wtva sales i make. No contract of emplyment or payslips or salaries. I am also a lawyer so i jst registed my law firm 2 wks ago. How do i say what i do while ensuring the social ties requirement is met? If i use mums agency theres no supporting document as an employee. If i use d law firm, sayin i run my own pracfice wont it look funny since it was only registered 2 weeks ago. This is also giving me sleepless nights. Kindly advise

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (167) (Reply)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.