Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (517387 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by olivialuv(m): 3:02pm On Jul 29, 2013
Sir,
I am one of the selected winer of 2014 dv , am married with a kid I submitted my form omitting my wife ds230 and my kid so I later send the copy again after 2weeks and I attached a written letter of what happen I attached passport of both of them, pls , will this affect the process
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:30pm On Jul 29, 2013
ebjay:

Thank u sir.

I applied in April this year... is it too recent to apply again.

What do u mean something changing in my life... still working in the same company i have worked in for the last 5 years, still not married.. does it mean I shouldn't bother reapplying or can I do hotel reservations and apply again?

Is it also safe to say the chances for young single pple to visit the US r slim

Thanks

Every case is different. Without seeing you and your documents in front of me and asking you questions, it's really not fair of me to give you a definitive answer. But... if nothing has changed in your circumstances, and it's only been a few months, why would the interviewing officer make a different decision now?

I can't say that the chances for young single people are slim... but, all things considered, it IS probably more difficult for a young single person to demonstrate strong ties to his or her home country than for an older, married person. There are so many other factors, though, that it's really hard to say anything concrete.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:33pm On Jul 29, 2013
olivialuv: Sir,
I am one of the selected winer of 2014 dv , am married with a kid I submitted my form omitting my wife ds230 and my kid so I later send the copy again after 2weeks and I attached a written letter of what happen I attached passport of both of them, pls , will this affect the process

Are you saying that you didn't list your wife and child on your original entry? Because if that is the case, unfortunately, yes, you are disqualified, and will not receive a visa. If you didn't include them on the original entry, my sincere advice is not to waste your money coming to the interview. sad
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by sinie: 4:09pm On Jul 29, 2013
Dear VO,

Thank you for this opportunity.

I have been wanting to travel to the USA, just to see the place, and maybe visit a few relatives. However, I've been discouraged by the stories I hear about visas being denied (I hate rejection embarassed ).

I have a good job, and so does my husband so the likelihood of absconding is just not existent.

But, I have never travelled outside Nigeria and I think it's silly to visit places like South Africa, Dubai e.t.c in a bid to appear well travelled, just to get a US visa (people do that you know undecided). The only place I really want to visit is the US.

My question is, what are the chances of getting a visa for someone who has NEVER been outside Nigeria Especially when I have no special reason for travelling (except for sightseeing) embarassed
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 4:16pm On Jul 29, 2013
sinie: Dear VO,

I have been wanting to travel to the USA, just to see the place, and maybe visit a few relatives. However, I've been discouraged by the stories I hear about visas being denied (I hate rejection embarassed ).

I have a good job, and so does my husband so the likelihood of absconding is just not existent.

But, I have never travelled outside Nigeria and I think it's silly to visit places like South Africa, Dubai e.t.c in a bid to appear well travelled, just to get a US visa (people do that you know undecided). The only place I really want to visit is the US.

My question is, what are the chances of getting a visa for someone who has NEVER been outside Nigeria Especially when I have no special reason for travelling (except for sightseeing) embarassed

Greetings! And thank you for your interest in visiting the United States. It's always nice to hear that people want to see it. I kind of like it there myself. smiley

While prior travel is helpful, it's not NECESSARY. Everyone has to take a first trip some day. If you have a good job in your home country, your chances are actually pretty good! On the other hand, not having a special reason that you can articulate to the visa officer might make it a little harder. Is there a specific place you want to visit that you can talk about? Concrete plans are always better than vague ones.

Still, I'd say just stand up straight and tell 'em what you just told me. I hate rejection too, but there's only one way to find out.

4 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Daresh(f): 4:22pm On Jul 29, 2013
sinie: Dear VO,

You don't have to have visited anywhere else. The first country I ever went to was the USA. I had never been anywhere else, not Ghana, Cotonou, Dubai, no where else. I applied and got a visa. If I had listened to what other ppl told me I would never have applied. And because of my US visa, getting visas to other countries is now a piece of cake.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by sara2007: 7:43pm On Jul 29, 2013
Dear VO, this is my visa rejection experience. I applied for a visa earlier this year (with my one year old son). I wanted to sight see and shop for clothes for my kids. I have a stable job, husband and 4 kids. I was a 38 year old first time US visa applicant. I had travelled to europe 2 years earlier. We did not get the visa. I still wonder why. I applied in march for a july trip. Did my intention to travel with my son hurt my chances? I was really miffed. I told myself that I would never apply for a US visa again, but you know, we are talking about America. I have been reading and hearing about it all my life, visiting America is on my Bucket list. I think I owe it to myself to try one more time. Some people say getting a US visa is like a lottery, a person may be qualified for a visa but may not get one due to several reasons eg visa quota for the week is used up, VO bad mood etc. Is this true? I intend to try again, on my own (around feb next year cos baby will be old enough to stay at home without mom for a few days). Any advice?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 29, 2013
Daresh:

You don't have to have visited anywhere else. The first country I ever went to was the USA. I had never been anywhere else, not Ghana, Cotonou, Dubai, no where else. I applied and got a visa. If I had listened to what other ppl told me I would never have applied. And because of my US visa, getting visas to other countries is now a piece of cake.

What reason did u give the Co for going to the US and what category of visa were u granted?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Opoki(m): 10:03pm On Jul 29, 2013
VisaOfficer: This is my public service message of the day:

TOUTS DON'T CARE IF YOU GET A VISA OR NOT. They just want your money. The fake documents they give you may be completely obvious fakes, and you will have no way of knowing that, and we can tell at a glance, and the touts don't care. Sometimes they forget and send TWO people, both falsely claiming to be the same person, to the same visa interview.

You can be permanently banned from the United States, and even arrested, if you submit fake documents. It's not worth it!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Seguneji(m): 10:09pm On Jul 29, 2013
Visa officer, I am a lucky winner of 2014 dv lottery wit case number 2014AF000147xx and I ve submitted my forms on the 25th of may. When can my like month of interview be. Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by justwise(m): 10:13pm On Jul 29, 2013
@Opoki

Those individuals should ask those questions themselves, if they are serving ban then tough, its part of the punishment.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Daresh(f): 10:21pm On Jul 29, 2013
bettymafy:

What reason did u give the Co for going to the US and what category of visa were u granted?

Medical reasons and I got a B1/B2 visa.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Opoki(m): 11:15pm On Jul 29, 2013
justwise: @Opoki

Those individuals should ask those questions themselves, if they are serving ban then tough, its part of the punishment.
Ok boss, quite an age!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Nobody: 6:57am On Jul 30, 2013
Daresh:

Medical reasons and I got a B1/B2 visa.

Birthing? wink
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:49am On Jul 30, 2013
sara2007: Dear VO, this is my visa rejection experience. I applied for a visa earlier this year (with my one year old son). I wanted to sight see and shop for clothes for my kids. I have a stable job, husband and 4 kids. I was a 38 year old first time US visa applicant. I had travelled to europe 2 years earlier. We did not get the visa. I still wonder why. I applied in march for a july trip. Did my intention to travel with my son hurt my chances? I was really miffed. I told myself that I would never apply for a US visa again, but you know, we are talking about America. I have been reading and hearing about it all my life, visiting America is on my Bucket list. I think I owe it to myself to try one more time. Some people say getting a US visa is like a lottery, a person may be qualified for a visa but may not get one due to several reasons eg visa quota for the week is used up, VO bad mood etc. Is this true? I intend to try again, on my own (around feb next year cos baby will be old enough to stay at home without mom for a few days). Any advice?

I'm sorry you had a negative experience. I don't think that wanting to travel with your son would hurt your chances, but there are just so many factors that can't be captured in an online post, I really can't give you any insight from what you've written. I can tell you that there's no visa quota; we don't say "Okay, we've issued 700 visas this week already, so let's refuse everyone else." Each case is considered on its own merits. VO bad mood... we really, really strive not to let that be a factor and to give everyone a fair shot. We know that for many people, we're the first Americans they ever meet, and so customer service is very important to us. Of course, we process so many applicants every day that we have to do everything fast, so things may feel rather impersonal to the applicants... We do try to smile at everyone, though. smiley

3 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:51am On Jul 30, 2013
Seguneji: Visa officer, I am a lucky winner of 2014 dv lottery wit case number 2014AF000147xx and I ve submitted my forms on the 25th of may. When can my like month of interview be. Thanks

I honestly have no idea, but if you already submitted your forms to KCC, it should be earlier rather than later.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:56am On Jul 30, 2013
bettymafy:

Birthing? wink

Birthing is a valid reason for travel. smiley People are supporting the U.S. economy by paying their medical bills over there, and hopefully they go home and talk about how awesome the experience was, which makes other people want to visit. It's 100% win-win, for the U.S. and for the visitors.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by joxiri: 9:18am On Jul 30, 2013
@ visaofficer
I want to renew my us visa before or when it applies in december, I have previously applied for both us visas I have from london whilst I was a student and on a work visa, however now I only have a visiting visa, I know its possible to apply from the uk with a visiting visa.

Can I renew the visa before it expires and what would be my chances of getting it in the uk , I do have a lot of ties to the uk as all my family reside there, I don't want to apply from nigeria because I have heard too many bad stories and I would rather not apply than risk it, when I have applied from london its always been straightforward and fair and unfortunately same cannot be said of applying from nigeria.

Any input would be kindly appreciated
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 1:12pm On Jul 30, 2013
joxiri: @ visaofficer
I want to renew my us visa before or when it applies in december, I have previously applied for both us visas I have from london whilst I was a student and on a work visa, however now I only have a visiting visa, I know its possible to apply from the uk with a visiting visa.

Can I renew the visa before it expires and what would be my chances of getting it in the uk , I do have a lot of ties to the uk as all my family reside there, I don't want to apply from nigeria because I have heard too many bad stories and I would rather not apply than risk it, when I have applied from london its always been straightforward and fair and unfortunately same cannot be said of applying from nigeria.

Any input would be kindly appreciated

Greetings,

Sure, you can apply for a new visa before the old one expires. If you've succesfully applied in London before, all else being equal, you shouldn't have a problem applying there again. The general advice is that it's best to apply in your home country because it's easier to demonstrate that you have ties there, but given that you've already obtained a US visa in the UK, I don't see why you shouldn't try again.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 1:15pm On Jul 30, 2013
Today's news includes a cautionary tale about the consequences of visa fraud. Excellent work by the Nigeria Police Special Fraud Unit!

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/07/police-smash-human-trafficking-syndicate-to-usa/

Police smash human trafficking syndicate to USA
By EVELYN USMAN

LAGOS — The Nigeria Police Special Fraud Unit, Milverton, Ikoyi has smashed a syndicate which specialized in smuggling desperate Nigerians to the United State of America, USA, for N1.5 million each.

The syndicate’s modus oparandi, according to spokesperson for the unit, Ngozi Nsitume-Agu, included match-making their preys with winners of America visa lottery as couple.

Currently, a male teacher in a school around Mafoluku area of the state and a female prey from Ekiti were arrested by the unit.

Their arrest, according to Nsitume-Agu, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, was effected following a petition by the Assistant Regional Security Officer to the United States Consulate General alleging that the suspects, Adejayan Adetokunbo and Adebisi Funke “conspired and went to the US Embassy to be interviewed for Immigrant visa to USA as couple, adding that the said marriage was determined to be fraudulent.

“It was also alleged that they were working with touts for the purpose of smuggling Nigerians to the United States of America. The suspects were arrested by the embassy when they came to collect their visa and handed over to SFU.

“Investigation revealed that they were not husband and wife as they claimed. It was an ‘arrangee’ marriage by one Segun and his syndicate who specialized in merging prospective visa seekers together in marriage for onward smuggling to U.S.A.

Modus operandi

“Their modus operandi is to merge a lottery visa winner with a non-winner and package both to USA. In this case, N1.5 million was collected from Funke and she was purportedly joined in matrimony with Adejayan Adetokunbo who genuinely won the lottery visa. Both suspects confessed in their statements that they were not husband and wife.”

In his confessional statement, 35-year-old Adetokunbo, native of Ondo Local government Area of Ondo State admitted to have won the visa lottery which he said was entered on his behalf by a friend, adding that the undisclosed friend later instructed him to be attached with a woman when coming.
He further claimed that the so-called friend introduced him to one Segun who brought Funke for the arranged marriage and subsequent interview and visa.

On her part, 27-year-old Funke claimed to have paid N1.5 million in two installments to members of the syndicate to process her visa and other charges which included passports, medicals and training, stating that the syndicate played on her gullibility.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by yemosla(m): 1:17pm On Jul 30, 2013
Good day bro pls i need ur advice on dis am among the 2012 visa lotery winner and my agent has already filled an application Ƒσя ♏ε̲̣̣̣̥ ̥†̥σ be merged wit smone but at the moment i want ̥†̥σ avoid it which i told him and he said there's notin dat can be done pls wat can i ∂σ?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 1:26pm On Jul 30, 2013
yemosla: Good day bro pls i need ur advice on dis am among the 2012 visa lotery winner and my agent has already filled an application Ƒσя ♏ε̲̣̣̣̥ ̥†̥σ be merged wit smone but at the moment i want ̥†̥σ avoid it which i told him and he said there's notin dat can be done pls wat can i ∂σ?

First, the 2012 Diversity Visa program has ended. But if you meant the 2013 or 2014 DV program, you do not need the agent to continue with your case. You can get all the information you need to do that at https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/ -- and there IS an option for people who don't have their confirmation numbers. I would also e-mail LagosIV@state.gov (I'm assuming you're in Nigeria?) and explain your situation so they have it on record that it's the agent who wants to include a spouse, not you.

Best of luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Okontami: 4:22pm On Jul 30, 2013
Dear VO, please what is the rationale behind it when US embassy VO will ask an applicant with a valid resident and work permit of another country (expat full time staff) to go back to his home country to apply for visa. This seems to be a way a lot of VO gain time (unprofessional). They will not even bother to look at any of your document. All they will tell you is to go and apply in your home country whiles you have a valid resident and work permit. Please why. I will appreciate it if you can explain this reason to me please.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by kevweflex(m): 5:36pm On Jul 30, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Sorry, I misread your original post. All you need to qualify from an academic point of view is a high school diploma, so he should be all right there.

Sorry. Pls no offence. Don't you think that this misread, sometimes may cost someone's visa? Assuming it's an application being read. So my point here is dat few persons may have been victims of such. Just my opinion and no facts to back it anyway. Mistakes are inevitable sometimes.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by herawesomeness: 6:17pm On Jul 30, 2013
Wow! This is an awesome thread.
Dear sir, I know your department is the immigrant visa, but I'm hoping you'll be able to give me a little insight on the student visa. I'm applying for a doctorate (combined masters n doctorate), and my brother will be sponsoring me. I doubt he'll have the exact amount (account balance) quoted by the university for the first year of my studies as at the time of my interview, because he just finished a building project, but he's an oil worker and will most likely have the amount by the end of this year. But will his payslips (showing the amount he earns every month) be enough to show financial support? I have an uncle in the US who will be my co sponsor, just as a back up, but I've been told that this could hurt my chances. Please I would really appreciate your advice. Thank you so much. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Opez4real: 6:36pm On Jul 30, 2013
Thanks for this great work Sir, Pls,what type of visa application do I need to start my medical residency in the US as a medical doctor.I didnt win the visa lottery
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by egbamio: 9:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
Please, Visaofficer, I am a Nigerian, who resides in Nigeria. I have been to US about 3ce and never overstayed my period. I LOVE USA and dream to contribute my best to the development of the country and possibly be a Permanent residence/citizen of the country someday soon. However, I don't want to rush into marriage (although I am of marriageable age) because of getting a permanent residence (although I genuinely want to be in love with an american but I never had time to hang out whenever I am in States because my visit is always occupied and I keep it to my intended time frame) and i didn't have family in US to file for me neither do I have money to qualify me for the investors migrant visa and have tried DV lottery time without number but no luck. I would like to know if it is possible a non-family can file (immigrant status) for me or how I can get a immigrant status based on my skills or anything legal to grant me immigrant status in US without doing anything contrary to the Law of USA because I love the country and I have always tried to live my life not to go against the law of the states but to respect it with utmost me.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by olukemiyemi: 10:48pm On Jul 30, 2013
Hi Visaofficer. My husband and I are applying for a US visa for a short visit online. He has filled in his information as the primary applicant and stated that I will be accompanying him. We didn't see any part of the form that allows him to fill in my details apart from my name. Isn't this required, we already made payments for the 2 of us.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Daresh(f): 10:52pm On Jul 30, 2013
bettymafy:

Birthing? wink

Nope, I had a surgery to do. Was still in school then.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Daresh(f): 10:59pm On Jul 30, 2013
olukemiyemi: Hi Visaofficer. My husband and I are applying for a US visa for a short visit online. He has filled in his information as the primary applicant and stated that I will be accompanying him. We didn't see any part of the form that allows him to fill in my details apart from my name. Isn't this required, we already made payments for the 2 of us.

you have to fill your own form online. Write his name as accompanying you as well thats all. Each applicant must fill their own form even if its a new born baby

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (66)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Thread for South Korea prospective students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.