Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,098 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:45 AM

I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (517339 Views)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (66) (Go Down)

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by monsieursam64(m): 3:20am On Jul 31, 2013
@visa officer; you are doing a great work on here and i so much appreciate it.
Please, i have got a question to ask:
a friend of mine who is a dv2013 winner was denied a visa few weeks ago on the grounds that the passport photo he used during the online application is different from his current facial appearance. According to him, he tried to explain(he actually had lots of hair on his head during his online application, but while going for the interview, he cut his hair down i.e a low cut) but the CO didnt give him a chance.
Please sir my question is:
if he appeals the case via a lawyer, will he be giving another chance to be reinterviewed?
Thanks in anticipation to your response.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:28am On Jul 31, 2013
Okontami: Dear VO, please what is the rationale behind it when US embassy VO will ask an applicant with a valid resident and work permit of another country (expat full time staff) to go back to his home country to apply for visa. This seems to be a way a lot of VO gain time (unprofessional). They will not even bother to look at any of your document. All they will tell you is to go and apply in your home country whiles you have a valid resident and work permit. Please why. I will appreciate it if you can explain this reason to me please.

Here's the thing. In order to qualify for a non-immigrant visa, you have to be able to overcome the assumption that you're an intending immigrant. So if you're applying outside your home country, you're already saying "I can make a life for myself away from home." Also, the VO in the third country may never have been to your home country and may not feel equipped to assess your particular situation, so it will be harder for you to overcome the assumption that you're an intending immigrant. The burden of proof is on you, not on the VO. It's not impossible to obtain a visa outside your home country, but for a lot of reasons, it's easier to do it at home.

I should also mention that we rely more on interviewing skills than on documents. Sometimes, legally, documents are necessary to a case, but we also know that they can easily be faked. We'd rather listen to what people actually say and base our decisions on the applicant, not on the documents.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:31am On Jul 31, 2013
kevwe_flex:

Sorry. Pls no offence. Don't you think that this misread, sometimes may cost someone's visa? Assuming it's an application being read. So my point here is dat few persons may have been victims of such. Just my opinion and no facts to back it anyway. Mistakes are inevitable sometimes.

No offense taken, and you're right -- sometimes we make mistakes. Sometimes we issue to people who shouldn't receive visas, and sometimes we fail to issue visas to people who would be great travellers. We are constantly training and trying to improve, to reduce our number of errors as much as possible. This thread is teaching me a lot and I'm sharing the information with my colleagues, so keep it coming!

6 Likes

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:32am On Jul 31, 2013
herawesomeness: Wow! This is an awesome thread.
Dear sir, I know your department is the immigrant visa, but I'm hoping you'll be able to give me a little insight on the student visa.

I'm asking a colleague... I'll have an answer for you soon... smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:35am On Jul 31, 2013
Opez4real: Thanks for this great work Sir, Pls,what type of visa application do I need to start my medical residency in the US as a medical doctor.I didnt win the visa lottery

Um, sounds like a student visa or an H1B or something? I haven't done non-immigrant visa work in a while. I'd ask the hospital's human resources department.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:38am On Jul 31, 2013
egbami_o: Please, Visaofficer, I am a Nigerian, who resides in Nigeria. I have been to US about 3ce and never overstayed my period. I LOVE USA and dream to contribute my best to the development of the country and possibly be a Permanent residence/citizen of the country someday soon. However, I don't want to rush into marriage (although I am of marriageable age) because of getting a permanent residence (although I genuinely want to be in love with an american but I never had time to hang out whenever I am in States because my visit is always occupied and I keep it to my intended time frame) and i didn't have family in US to file for me neither do I have money to qualify me for the investors migrant visa and have tried DV lottery time without number but no luck. I would like to know if it is possible a non-family can file (immigrant status) for me or how I can get a immigrant status based on my skills or anything legal to grant me immigrant status in US without doing anything contrary to the Law of USA because I love the country and I have always tried to live my life not to go against the law of the states but to respect it with utmost me.

Greetings! The three primary routes to immigration are family-based, employment-based, and Diversity Visa. It sounds like you already know that the first two don't apply to you at this time. I would STRONGLY advise you to continue to be aware of the importance of following the law; if, for instance, you entered into a sham relationship in order to reach the U.S., you could end up permanently banned.

Best of luck to you!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:40am On Jul 31, 2013
olukemiyemi: Hi Visaofficer. My husband and I are applying for a US visa for a short visit online. He has filled in his information as the primary applicant and stated that I will be accompanying him. We didn't see any part of the form that allows him to fill in my details apart from my name. Isn't this required, we already made payments for the 2 of us.

Greetings! Each of you should fill out your own separate application. It sounds like your husband has made an appointment but you have not. His application will contain your name as a person accompanying him, just as your application will contain his name. Good luck with the interview!

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:48am On Jul 31, 2013
monsieursam64: @visa officer; you are doing a great work on here and i so much appreciate it.
Please, i have got a question to ask:
a friend of mine who is a dv2013 winner was denied a visa few weeks ago on the grounds that the passport photo he used during the online application is different from his current facial appearance. According to him, he tried to explain(he actually had lots of hair on his head during his online application, but while going for the interview, he cut his hair down i.e a low cut) but the CO didnt give him a chance.
Please sir my question is:
if he appeals the case via a lawyer, will he be giving another chance to be reinterviewed?
Thanks in anticipation to your response.

Are you sure your friend is really the same person whose photo was originally submitted? We have pretty amazing facial recognition tools here... a different haircut wouldn't make a difference. With our tools, we can tell identical twins apart -- I've seen it happen myself! We can also look at someone who has changed dramatically over the past few years (weight gain or loss, scars, accidents, etc.) and still tell it's the same person. There are certain elements of a face that don't change and are as distinctive as fingerprints, and our tools are fairly sophisticated here.

As for engaging an attorney, that likely will not help. Winning a chance to interview does not guarantee that a visa will be granted; it's up to the applicant to convince the interviewing officer. If the applicant does not succeed, he or she will not receive a visa.

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by joxiri: 8:11am On Jul 31, 2013
@visa officer

Pls if I renew my us visa before it expires and the renewal is rejected, what happens to the current visa I have will I still be able to use it to travel or it will be cancelled
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:56am On Jul 31, 2013
joxiri: @visa officer

Pls if I renew my us visa before it expires and the renewal is rejected, what happens to the current visa I have will I still be able to use it to travel or it will be cancelled

It depends why your most recent visa application was denied, and if the current visa is the same type of visa. There are too many factors involved to give a simple answer. Sorry I can't be more concrete.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by herawesomeness: 9:22am On Jul 31, 2013
VisaOfficer:

I'm asking a colleague... I'll have an answer for you soon... smiley

Oh great, thank you grin grin cheesy
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by monsieursam64(m): 9:42am On Jul 31, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Are you sure your friend is really the same person whose photo was originally submitted? We have pretty amazing facial recognition tools here... a different haircut wouldn't make a difference. With our tools, we can tell identical twins apart -- I've seen it happen myself! We can also look at someone who has changed dramatically over the past few years (weight gain or loss, scars, accidents, etc.) and still tell it's the same person. There are certain elements of a face that don't change and are as distinctive as fingerprints, and our tools are fairly sophisticated here.

As for engaging an attorney, that likely will not help. Winning a chance to interview does not guarantee that a visa will be granted; it's up to the applicant to convince the interviewing officer. If the applicant does not succeed, he or she will not receive a visa.
please sir, he has filed an appeal via an attorney 2wks ago. Does he still have a chance to be rescheduled for another interview?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by olukemiyemi: 11:11am On Jul 31, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Greetings! Each of you should fill out your own separate application. It sounds like your husband has made an appointment but you have not. His application will contain your name as a person accompanying him, just as your application will contain his name. Good luck with the interview!
Many thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by nenih: 2:08pm On Jul 31, 2013
@VisaOfficer

Thanks for your time and assistance.

My question is: I have a valid US visa in my maiden name. Am married and would like to get a new passport in my new name. I intend travelling soon, how do i transfer the visa to my new passport or can i travel with both passports even though the surnames differ? Thanks
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Missdodo: 2:11pm On Jul 31, 2013
Hello consular officer, you sure are doing a great job! Thank you for this opportunity. Going straight to the point, I applied for the DV 2014 lottery and wasn't successful but the truth is that I actually applied for the fun of it. Will the fact that I applied for the Visa lottery hurt my chances of getting a non immigrant visa to the US?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by ocmorale: 2:26pm On Jul 31, 2013
@VisaOfficer,
Thanks for responses on this thread. I appreciate your imput and concern. I want find out if its possible to change a valid B1/B2 visa status to F1 (student) visa status while in the states? if it is possible, will the applicant be granted multiples entry F1 status that will enable him travel to his home country while studying? I also want to know the procedures/requirements involved if its possible. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:11pm On Jul 31, 2013
nenih: @VisaOfficer

Thanks for your time and assistance.

My question is: I have a valid US visa in my maiden name. Am married and would like to get a new passport in my new name. I intend travelling soon, how do i transfer the visa to my new passport or can i travel with both passports even though the surnames differ? Thanks

You can travel with both passports - just take your marriage certificate with you. And congratulations!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:12pm On Jul 31, 2013
Missdodo: Hello consular officer, you sure are doing a great job! Thank you for this opportunity. Going straight to the point, I applied for the DV 2014 lottery and wasn't successful but the truth is that I actually applied for the fun of it. Will the fact that I applied for the Visa lottery hurt my chances of getting a non immigrant visa to the US?

Good news! It won't hurt your chances. smiley
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:14pm On Jul 31, 2013
ocmorale: @VisaOfficer,
Thanks for responses on this thread. I appreciate your imput and concern. I want find out if its possible to change a valid B1/B2 visa status to F1 (student) visa status while in the states? if it is possible, will the applicant be granted multiples entry F1 status that will enable him travel to his home country while studying? I also want to know the procedures/requirements involved if its possible. Thanks in anticipation.

Hmm, if there's anything I'm less familiar with than student visas, it's the process of adjusting status when you're in the United States. I know it can be done, but I don't know what the process is. USCIS would know. Their website is www.uscis.gov. Best of luck to you!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by interestingleap: 3:25pm On Jul 31, 2013
Hi VisaOffice,
My intention is to visit my brother who just started working after haven recently completed his graduate program in the US and also take my son to Disneyland during our visit. I currently work in a well known multinational but my passport is still virgin.I am not sure whether to simply apply to visit my brother or apply to vacation at disney or if I should combine both intentions in my application.Kindly advice on an option that might increase my chances. Could my virgin passport affect my chances?
Just to mention, my spouse is currently undergoing an educational program in Europe hence he wouldn't be going with us. Thank you
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 3:49pm On Jul 31, 2013
interestingleap: Hi VisaOffice,
My intention is to visit my brother who just started working after haven recently completed his graduate program in the US and also take my son to Disneyland during our visit. I currently work in a well known multinational but my passport is still virgin.I am not sure whether to simply apply to visit my brother or apply to vacation at disney or if I should combine both intentions in my application.Kindly advice on an option that might increase my chances. Could my virgin passport affect my chances?
Just to mention, my spouse is currently undergoing an educational program in Europe hence he wouldn't be going with us. Thank you

Hi there! I'm a fan of telling the whole truth, so, I'd just tell the officer exactly what you told me about your plans. If you're otherwise qualified, having two different reasons to visit the U.S. won't prejudice your case at all. Best of luck!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by interestingleap: 4:41pm On Jul 31, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Hi there! I'm a fan of telling the whole truth, so, I'd just tell the officer exactly what you told me about your plans. If you're otherwise qualified, having two different reasons to visit the U.S. won't prejudice your case at all. Best of luck!
Thank you for your time.
I would like to ask if it is advisable to book my Disney vacation package before the interview in order to increase my chance with the visa officer. Also, kindly shed some light on the effect my virgin passport could have on my application. Thanks once more
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by monsieursam64(m): 5:55pm On Jul 31, 2013
VisaOfficer:

please sir, he has filed an appeal via an attorney 2wks ago. Does he still have a chance to be rescheduled for another interview?
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by Missdodo: 8:34pm On Jul 31, 2013
VisaOfficer:

Good news! It won't hurt your chances. smiley

Thank you so very much
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by isokensolara: 12:55am On Aug 01, 2013
Hi Visa Office,

I'm a car dealer and am registered as Exporter with Insurance Auto Auctions. I bid on cars through the internet and pay from my domiciliary ($) account through my bank. but sometimes when the car arrive Nigeria there's always problem with the Engine or Transmission because am not on site to inspect the car before or either the auction day.

This has been a huge lost and set back in my business. I want to inquire if i will be granted visa on this ground or not to enable me put am end on the set back affecting my business.

I'm the CEO of my company and i have bought cars worth $50,000 this year from Insurance Auto Auctions. I will be grateful for your professional advice and instructions on how to go about apply for USA visa for this purpose. Thanks.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by thuyahky(m): 5:06am On Aug 01, 2013
VisaOfficer:

‎​Ɣε̲̣̣̣̥§ sir can someone change the address and email that someone use in the initial stage i mean in the dv application when filling the dsp form cos am no longer use the email again and also hav rellocate 2 another state.thanks waiting for Your̶̲̥̅̊ reply.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by WileECoyote: 6:10am On Aug 01, 2013
Greetings And Salutations.

My Fiancees K1 visa was denied, sadly but we have an approved I-130 and so will be visiting your post shortly for another interview.

Does the post look at applicants for family based visa, not employment or education based, that require an interpreter in negative light or it doesn't matter?

How about you personally?

I have a sneaky feeling that she might have been refused due to the fact that she used an interpreter that but I have no proof. I filed for and received a FOIA but all it provided was the same generic lack of "bona fide relationship" reason that is so common at your post.

Thank you for any insight that you can provide.

PS: Perhaps you can also share why your post routinely re adjudicate petitions. It seems this way to us.

It is my understand that as far back as when Mr. Powell was Secretary of State, that there was a notice that was sent to post not to do this exact task. It is confusing to those of us USC that had our approved petitions returned to USCIS.

http://www.gurfinkel.com/imm_archive/2004/apr18-2004.html I cannot readily find the link to the DOS website.

Additionally, since you may not know, when you return petitions to WAC they do not get reaffirmed and the petition dies without giving any opporunity to object to the return or provide any additional evidence. Petitions returned to EAC have a slight chance of being reviewed.

Anyways, thanks for what you do for us, keeping rogue elements out of our doorsteps. I know immigration is a privilege and not a right but I just wished that there was some opacity to the inner working so we as citizens don't always feel like we're falling into a dark hole.

Thank you.

PPS: Why doesn't the embassy just mandate that the USC also accompany the applicant to the interview so they can have a stokes interview right there and then?

1 Like

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:44am On Aug 01, 2013
herawesomeness: Wow! This is an awesome thread.
Dear sir, I know your department is the immigrant visa, but I'm hoping you'll be able to give me a little insight on the student visa. I'm applying for a doctorate (combined masters n doctorate), and my brother will be sponsoring me. I doubt he'll have the exact amount (account balance) quoted by the university for the first year of my studies as at the time of my interview, because he just finished a building project, but he's an oil worker and will most likely have the amount by the end of this year. But will his payslips (showing the amount he earns every month) be enough to show financial support? I have an uncle in the US who will be my co sponsor, just as a back up, but I've been told that this could hurt my chances. Please I would really appreciate your advice. Thank you so much. smiley

My non-immigrant visa colleague replies: "Thank you for your inquiry. Every applicant must provide documentary evidence that sufficient funds are, or will be, available to defray all expenses during the entire period of anticipated stay. You must also demonstrate to the interviewing officer that you have enough readily available funds to meet all expenses for the first year of study. Your brother’s payslips and bank statements, as well as your uncle’s financial documents, are all credible documents. The interviewing officer must be convinced that you possess adequate funds for your entire course of study and living expenses."

Hope this helps!
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:50am On Aug 01, 2013
interestingleap:
Thank you for your time.
I would like to ask if it is advisable to book my Disney vacation package before the interview in order to increase my chance with the visa officer. Also, kindly shed some light on the effect my virgin passport could have on my application. Thanks once more

I'd only book the vacation package if it's possible to get a refund if you have to cancel your plans. We always advise people not to buy tickets, etc., until they have received their visas. Just in case.

A virgin passport isn't necessarily a problem. It's more important for applicants to demonstrate that they have strong ties to their home country (or country of residence). Having a travel history isn't as important as being able to show ties.

Good luck! Also, if your son is small, be careful on the Space Mountain ride at Disney. I fainted on that ride when I was six years old and scared the daylights out of my dad. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:51am On Aug 01, 2013
monsieursam64: please sir, he has filed an appeal via an attorney 2wks ago. Does he still have a chance to be rescheduled for another interview?

Anything is possible. Again, without knowing about the details of the particular case, there's really not much I can say...
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 7:55am On Aug 01, 2013
isokensolara: Hi Visa Office,

I'm a car dealer and am registered as Exporter with Insurance Auto Auctions. I bid on cars through the internet and pay from my domiciliary ($) account through my bank. but sometimes when the car arrive Nigeria there's always problem with the Engine or Transmission because am not on site to inspect the car before or either the auction day.

This has been a huge lost and set back in my business. I want to inquire if i will be granted visa on this ground or not to enable me put am end on the set back affecting my business.

I'm the CEO of my company and i have bought cars worth $50,000 this year from Insurance Auto Auctions. I will be grateful for your professional advice and instructions on how to go about apply for USA visa for this purpose. Thanks.

It sounds like you want to apply for a non-immigrant visa so you can travel to the U.S. and take care of some business? Not knowing all the details of your case, based solely on the above, my answer is the same as for any other non-immigrant applicant: If you can convince the interviewing officer that you plan to abide by the terms of your visa (i.e. no overstay) and if you have no ineligibilities, based on what you've written, sure, I'd go ahead and apply if I were you.
Re: I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. by VisaOfficer: 8:07am On Aug 01, 2013
thuyahky: ‎​Ɣε̲̣̣̣̥§ sir can someone change the address and email that someone use in the initial stage i mean in the dv application when filling the dsp form cos am no longer use the email again and also hav rellocate 2 another state.thanks waiting for Your̶̲̥̅̊ reply.

Not sure if you can change this information with KCC (the Kentucky Consular Center). Once your case has been sent to the overseas post, you can e-mail the post and let them know what your new information is. Good luck!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (66)

USA Visit Visa Part 4 / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Thread for South Korea prospective students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.