Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:44 AM

Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. (9555 Views)

Fashola Visits Egbin Power Plant,Says Government Will 'Settle Its Debts'(photos) / El-Rufai Shuts Down 2 Churches, Seminary, Church Hospital / Nigerian Builds Biggest Hospital (AFAM CLINICS) In Brooklyn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by MightyThor(m): 8:41am On Jul 17, 2013
THE nation’s power output has dropped by another 105 megawatts due to eventual shutdown of Afam VI Independent Power Plant operated by Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) Joint Venture.

Shell Corporate Media Relations Manager, Tony Okonedo, who confirmed the shutdown in a statement Tuesday, said Afam VI power plant was shut due to shortage of gas supply.

“The Shell Petroleum Development Company Joint Venture today (July 16) shut down Afam VI Power Plant due to shortage of gas arising from the closure of the Trans Niger Pipeline (TNP) as a result of crude oil theft related leaks.

“The shutdown of the TNP system, comprising the 28inch and 24inch streams, resulted in the deferment of 150,000 barrels of oil per day, and also led to tank tops and non-evacuation of condensate from Okoloma Gas Plant which supplies Afam VI Power Plant with feed gas,” the statement revealed.

Shell has been battling with frequent attacks on the pipeline for some weeks now, as it had previously been targeted by crude oil thieves and shut down several times.

The multinational oil firm said the company has continued to lose about $15 million (N2.4 billion) to the shutdown on daily basis.

As the situation persists, Shell said it had to shut down Okoloma Gas Plant yesterday, as it could not continue to produce gas without the evacuation of condensate.

According to Okonedo, Afam VI power plant was available at 624MW capacity, but supplying only 105MW to the national grid due to reduced gas volume at the time of shutdown.

He said the latest leak on the TNP occurred on the 24inch stream at Owokiri on July 11, while a joint investigation team, comprising government agencies, community and civil society representatives and SPDC personnel, found that unknown persons had installed a 6inch crude theft valve on the facility.

SPDC, according to him, has repaired that leak, and was working to remove other crude theft points that were discovered in the process.

“The 28inch TNP had earlier been shut in for removal of similar oil theft connections. The company is striving to repair the TNP as quickly as possible, and restore operations that will enable power generation to resume at Afam VI.

“SPDC is deeply concerned about the negative impact of incessant crude theft activities on lives and environment in the Niger Delta, and also the loss of electricity to businesses and households across the country. The total daily loss from the TNP shutdown alone comes to about $15 million (N2.4 billion),” he added.

The Managing Director of SPDC, Mutiu Sunmonu, had earlier lamented the persistent attacks on the pipeline, describing it as a major setback for the company and the nation as a whole.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php/national-news/127300-power-generation-drops-as-shell-shuts-afam-plant

Here is what gets me, the IOC's are divesting their operator ship and equity in these field (i suspect due to crude theft among other reason) and NNPC is now operating them.

I begin to wonder how NNPC (which is government owned) can stem this wave of crude theft were these private IOC's , that are aggressively into profit making,could not do so. The funny thing is that they know who the oil thieves are yet noting can be done to stop them. I believe the reason why they cannot be touched is because the government are doing the stealing through their private companies.

Now they that they are the producer we go see oil sell soooooo.

Chaiii....... This my country Nigeria......... Government will not kill us oooooooooooooo............

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by EkoAtlantic: 8:44am On Jul 17, 2013
Fresh air all over cheesy
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by Chanchit: 8:54am On Jul 17, 2013
Na wa o, them don shut Afam4eva at last. Abi wetin be that NL guy name..?

I'm tired of this country, can anybody help me with a visa any country, even Cameroun, I go manage am. Everyday na so so bad news.

3 Likes

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by Omen100(m): 9:08am On Jul 17, 2013
Chanchit: Na wa o, them do shut Afam4ever. Abi wetin be that NL guy name..?

you know that's funny right, but on a most serious note, Afam4ever needs to be shot in the head. angry angry angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by amiskurie(m): 10:08am On Jul 17, 2013
so dat small boy get plant?
hw i go fit kidnap afam4eva nw?

2 Likes

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by shiftmarket(m): 10:10am On Jul 17, 2013
... and the country plunges even deeper.
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by BlackBaron: 10:11am On Jul 17, 2013
This country is a joke, there's more chance of pigs flying than achieving any glimmer of constant power.
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by otokx(m): 10:12am On Jul 17, 2013
a lot of oil installations are being put out of service by vandals. Where are the law enforcement guys - especially NSCDC

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by chizel: 10:15am On Jul 17, 2013
God pls deliver Nigeria from the hands of evil men and women that are holding Nigeria hostage.amen

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by Standing5(m): 10:16am On Jul 17, 2013
If they can shut down all of Nigeria to leave room for massive stealing, i know few men wouldn't mind running Naija with torchlight.

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by fitzmayowa: 10:17am On Jul 17, 2013
Eko Atlantic: Fresh air all over cheesy

Fresh air is blowing Nigeria is in darkness...fresh air indeed grin

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by dridowu: 10:20am On Jul 17, 2013
Hmmmmmmm, i just hope d MW wont drop below 4500MW, since dy find it difficult to increase d general MW, dy shd make it stable on 4500MW me don tire 4 ds 9ja blackness
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by slap1(m): 10:21am On Jul 17, 2013
Omen100:

you know that's funny right, but on a most serious note, Afam4ever needs to be shot in the head. angry angry angry angry angry
LOL! What did Afam do na?
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by nerodenero: 10:25am On Jul 17, 2013
Only God can tell when Nigeria will be free from the stronghold of darkness.
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by kingarizona(m): 10:25am On Jul 17, 2013
Afam4eva don go Bankrupt!! I jus dey laugh!!
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by Scarpon(m): 10:26am On Jul 17, 2013
Eko Atlantic: Fresh air all over cheesy
bro it's shut down ok??
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by otokx(m): 10:27am On Jul 17, 2013
nerodenero: Only God can tell when Nigeria will be free from the stronghold of darkness.

God should not be associated with the wickedness and greed of we Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by ujchief(m): 10:36am On Jul 17, 2013
Yet GEJ gave his militant brothers; Tampolo, boy loaf and Ateke-tom a mouth watering contract to protect the pipelines to prevent oil theft!

Who is fooling who?

Fresh air everywhere jarecheesy

4 Likes

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by sayso: 10:38am On Jul 17, 2013
Please Mod correct the plant to Afam VI Power Plant not Afam IV Power Plant.
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by duni04(m): 10:39am On Jul 17, 2013
As in everyday this country called Nigeria continues to puzzle me. To generate electricity, very simple, construct a power plant. How does it run? With gas. Where's the gas? We have it. Ok now supply the gas to the power plant. That one don turn wahala. In a few years doen the road, when nobody wants to import our oil because of shale oil and gas and when it becomes too expensive for us to exploit the oil ourselves, we'll think back and curse ourselves because its not that we didn't have the opportunities, we jus squandered everything! This country is just a constant source of shame and disgrace.

4 Likes

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by ujchief(m): 10:39am On Jul 17, 2013
nerodenero: Only God can tell when Nigeria will be free from the stronghold of darkness.

God ain't gonna tell you nada! He gave us common sense to make the right decision and vote the right leaders. But we decide to take the Esau way and sell our birth-right conscience on a platter of porridge yam!

Enjoy the fresh airgrin

3 Likes

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by diallo12(m): 10:43am On Jul 17, 2013
i go beat u o
ujchief:

God ain't gonna tell you nada! He gave us common sense to make the right decision and vote the right leaders. But we decide to take the Esau way and sell our birth-right conscience on a platter of porridge yam!

Enjoy the fresh airgrin
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by Decryptor(m): 10:44am On Jul 17, 2013
Afam4ever, you never told us you had a power plant. What are u doing here as an NL mod?
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by trolling(m): 10:49am On Jul 17, 2013
it will remain in darkness until the appointed time, evil must reach it's peak before Light comes, there's a time and place for everything.

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by akatonero(m): 10:52am On Jul 17, 2013
Nigeria govt no go kill us imagine what only afam iv generate per day Abi una no read the story well talkless of others. It will never be well with the govt until poverty stop in that country.

1 Like

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by duni04(m): 10:54am On Jul 17, 2013
Standing5: If they can shut down all of Nigeria to leave room for massive stealing, i know few men wouldn't mind running Naija with torchlight.
funny but also food 4 thought
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by Ogbonaikenna(m): 10:55am On Jul 17, 2013
A transmitter to carry our signal to the whole west africa, worldwide rally, court process are some of our projects now. The world is waiting for us to hit the world capitals. Wouldn't you rather join the freedom movement? Visit www.radiobiafra.co for our daily broadcast. Time:7pm london time. RADIO BIAFRA, IN DEFENCE OF FREEDOM.
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by Nobody: 11:02am On Jul 17, 2013
Pls Nairalanders, is it afam4ever that is being shut down by the federal government? Coz thats the only news that will make my day today!

2 Likes

Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by sylve11: 11:05am On Jul 17, 2013
No one reason for Spdc divestment is pipeline vandalization. What a country!? cool
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by Raypawer(m): 11:07am On Jul 17, 2013
Standing5: If they can shut down all of Nigeria to leave room for massive stealing, i know few men wouldn't mind running Naija with torchlight.

lol... But on point!
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by sylve11: 11:08am On Jul 17, 2013
exxell: Pls Nairalanders, is it afam4ever that is being shut down by the federal government? Coz thats the only news that will make my day today!

mukalala, where in the article did u see F.G? cool
Re: Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant. by AZeD1(m): 11:08am On Jul 17, 2013
And we are paying some ex militants billions to guard the pipelines.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW / Sanwo-Olu Wins 2020 Zik Prize for Good Governance (Photos) / Sowore's NIN and PVC reactivated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.