Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW (9556 Views)

Nationwide Blackout Imminent As Power Generation Falls Below 3,000MW / 16 Power Turbines Now Functional, As Generation Hits 4652.70 MW / Total Blackout As Power Generation Falls To 0 MW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by maupe: 1:18am On May 31, 2016
The power sector has been losing an average of N2bn daily since the resurgence of pipeline bombings by militants in the Niger Delta, latest electricity supply statistics have shown.

This is coming as the number of functional gas-fired power generating turbines across the country has dropped from 50 that were operational in April to about 30 as of the end of last week.

In a report by The PUNCH late last month, the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, had stated that out of about 140 power generating turbines in the country, only 50 were functional, adding that the facilities were not working because there was no gas to fire them up.

“The power being generated comes from only about 78 turbines out of 140, and they are largely fired by gas. Now, power has gone down because we have gas outage due to the failure of pipelines. And as a result of that, 78 turbines dropped to may be about 50 because there was no gas,” Fashola had said.

Confirming the minister’s position on lack of gas for the power generating plants, latest data on the industry obtained on Monday showed that the country lost 3,748 megawatts of electricity due to gas constraints on Saturday.

Nigeria could not generate 92MW and 127MW of electricity due to line and water management constraints, respectively, while only 2,461MW hour of energy was sent out.

“The power sector lost the equivalent of N1.904bn on May 28, 2016 due to constraints,” the report stated.

An analysis of statistics showed that on the average, the power sector has been losing about N2bn daily as a result of constraints to electricity generation, while the major challenge, according to the report, is inadequate gas supply.

On Friday, the report revealed that the power sector lost N2.117bn, while 3,849MW of electricity could not be generated as a result of gas constraint, as only 2,163MwH of power was sent out to consumers across the country.

Additional data from the System Operator of the Transmission Company of Nigeria showed that the country’s power generation hovered between 2,300MW and 3,000MW for several weeks, but this fell drastically to 2,020.1MW on Saturday, a development that was largely attributed to the heightened bombings of pipelines by militants.

It was further gathered that the drop in the number of functional gas-fired power turbines was due to the fact that some of the facilities get their gas supplies from oil companies whose facilities were attacked by the militants.

Sources at the Power ministry and the Presidency told our correspondent that the destruction of pipelines belonging to oil companies was not only affecting the firms, but also hampering power generation.

www.punchng.com/power-sector-loses-n2bn-daily-turbines-pack/

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by Nobody: 1:26am On May 31, 2016
Fashola whatever happens we no need stories on electricity issue o0o? Shebi u tell us during una campaign say 'Providing 24 hrs electricity is not rocket science'? We are waiting o!!!

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by NonFarmPayrol: 3:39am On May 31, 2016
lalasticlala

nothing new

buhari said they are all rubbish in aso rock cool

5 Likes

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by greatgod2012(f): 4:06am On May 31, 2016
Imagine! Just imagine

Because they wanted their opponents out, they rubbished anything done under his administration saying good governance including power generation is not a rocket science.
Now, you people have been there for over a year, instead of improvement, everything has been dwindling, especially, in the areas of power and economy.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by greatgod2012(f): 4:10am On May 31, 2016
Fashola.........I really pity you.
Buhari has finished your political career.
You're now unofficially the minister of darkness!
Power generation is not a rocket science...... Just prove it now.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by mrvitalis(m): 4:50am On May 31, 2016
Tho I stay in pH, I don't think Niger Delta deserves light now, the power should be given to other regions so we start feeling the real effects of the avengers

Yeye dey smell

18 Likes

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by ayemerbarth: 4:54am On May 31, 2016
This administration must be suffering from a heinous disease placed on her by the previous one. We need to offer sacrifices to avert the plague that has befallen us. Someone must be sent to Ibadan to meet the Ifa priest so that we know the nature of sacrifice to be made.

2 Likes

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by cktheluckyman: 4:57am On May 31, 2016
mrvitalis:
Tho I stay in pH, I don't think Niger Delta deserves light now, the power should be given to other regions so we start feeling the real effects of the avengers

Yeye dey smell
Shut up liar!! You are no where close to the niger delta!! If Buhari goes ahead to implement what you just advised, power generation would further drop to 0MW

Buhari and Fashola should give us light biko!! Nobody blamed biko haram duration Gej's time. Buhari should solve the security challenges and give us light

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by kossyablaze(m): 6:12am On May 31, 2016
mrvitalis:

Yeye dey smell
get sense na

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by poiZon: 8:14am On May 31, 2016
mrvitalis:

Yeye dey smell

u think, act, reason like a slowpoke.

its high time u go back to school n learn the basics.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by ayzTIGER: 8:41am On May 31, 2016
mrvitalis:

Yeye dey smell
OBOTE

30 Likes

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by macaranta(m): 8:57am On May 31, 2016
This hardliners stance of PMB,not very sure it will yield the desired results and even if it does..it will be at an unnecessarily high cost.Bubu should apply wisdom.

3 Likes

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by damton(m): 8:58am On May 31, 2016
Sometimes I feel like we are our own nemesis in this country.

May God help us

2 Likes

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by Shortyy(f): 8:58am On May 31, 2016
Y'all keep calling these people bluff while they continue bombing everything.

8 Likes

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by Noneroone(m): 8:58am On May 31, 2016
Buhari has destroyed Nigeria

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by Firefire(m): 8:58am On May 31, 2016
cry

Chai, everything falling apart. embarassed

Who will rescue Nigeria?

I use this medium to advise APC leadership.

It's high time you apologized to Nigerians and the past administration for the evil politics played against them and their policies.

We can forgive you and offer your party the best roadmap to govern the country.

Please note that your continuous arrogance and blame-trade is no longer acceptable.

A word is enough for the wise.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by olexjay(m): 8:58am On May 31, 2016
I don't know if I'm the only one experiencing the dumb issue or assessing nairaland through opera and then when I click on a thread it will firstly highlight it with blue and loads for minutes then to back it everything goes to opera start page.
Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by BrosMayowa(m): 8:59am On May 31, 2016
right
Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by macaranta(m): 8:59am On May 31, 2016
mrvitalis:

Yeye dey smell
Been flexing light for the past 34hrs..straight.

Come and collect it na.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by DLondonboiy: 8:59am On May 31, 2016
there is fire on the mountain.... and no one is running... no one.

1 Like

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by berrystunn(m): 9:00am On May 31, 2016
I tell buhari

Please step down before is too late.

Nigeria is really going down every day.
Coded devalue naira (N285.)
Traveling allowance been paid in dollars.

Buhari government is still very much corrupt.

Point

Buhari promise to declare asset publicly with his team if elected.
Buhari promise to tell Nigerians much was recovered from looters, may 29th

Buhari is in charge when they call Nigeria fantastically corrupt.

Judiciary is corrupt

Nigeria have N3tn in Treasury Single Account.
Buhari have noting to show for it in one year. Road, infrastructure.

Buhari am sure his govt will loot from looters.
They may end up giving us total. How do we prove how much they recovered from Mr A, and Mr B?

3 Likes

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by Shortyy(f): 9:00am On May 31, 2016
mrvitalis:

Yeye dey smell
Smh. Just 10 naira condom, and this right here wouldn't have happened.

14 Likes

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by veekid(m): 9:00am On May 31, 2016
na you sabj
Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by Jannylu(f): 9:00am On May 31, 2016
Negotiate a way out already
Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by Trendy247: 9:01am On May 31, 2016
macaranta:

Been flexing light for the past 34hrs..straight.

Come and collect it na.
Me too

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by kingstylo01(m): 9:01am On May 31, 2016
cool

Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by VocalWalls: 9:02am On May 31, 2016
Bills that will still come
Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by jazinogold(m): 9:03am On May 31, 2016
angry

ANOTHER BLAME GAME AGAIN... angry
Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by Olukokosir(m): 9:03am On May 31, 2016
Na we dey do ourselves sumtyms

Buh wait oo.. All d pple wey dey complain of no lyt, u sure say u gt transformer cus I dey always gt 6-8hrs lite everyday nd der is nt a day dat we don't v lyt over nyt...11 to 6am.

Werr is d lte cumn from.---------USA ?
Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by INTERMAN: 9:03am On May 31, 2016
What is this lord?
Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by free2ryhme: 9:03am On May 31, 2016
na so dem go dey manufacture statistics grin
Re: Power Sector Loses N2bn Daily, As Generation Falls To 2,020MW by AxeurdaddyIX: 9:04am On May 31, 2016
I still don't really understand this power generation ish, Despite the drop in Megawatts generated, how come there's still constant light in my area Right now, Its over twelve hours and still counting

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Wins 2020 Zik Prize for Good Governance (Photos) / Sowore's NIN and PVC reactivated / Shell Shuts-down Afam VI Power Plant And Gas Plant.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.