Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,494 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. (10547 Views)

Presidency Orders Withdrawal Of Security Personnel From Politicians / See The Monstrous Armored Tank Captured By Nigerian Troops From Boko Haram / Nigerian Troops Begin Withdrawal From Mali Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Handsomeemmy(m): 4:58am On Jul 18, 2013
PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan has ordered the withdrawal of the country’s troops from the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilisation Mission in Mali (MINUSMA). MINUSMA took over from theAfrican International Support Mission to Mali (AFISMA) under which Nigeria deployed in February this year.
This is the first time in the history of United Nations Peacekeeping Operations that Nigeria is unilaterally withdrawing own troops over disagreement with the way mission operational headquarters is staffed.
In February this year, Nigeria deployed a total of 1,200 troops for the AFISMA operation, comprising a Nigerian Army battalion plus strength of 900 troops and Nigerian Air Force strength of 300 troops. In addition, a Signal Squadron of 61 personnel was deployed. The Air Force also deployed two Dassault-Breguet Dornier Alpha fighter jets and two Mi-35 Helicopters for the Malian operation.
In addition, the Nigerian Contingent Air Component has deployed the C-130 Transport Hercules and the medium carrier, the G222 for the operation. It, however, lost one of the Alpha jets and two pilots in the Malian operation.
Director of Defence Information, Brig Gen Chris Olukolade, who refused to comment on the ordered withdrawal of troops, told The Guardian that “we will let Nigerians know if we are withdrawing from Mali. And we shall follow all diplomatic and other procedures if and when we are pulling out.’’
However, a source said that President Jonathan ordered Nigeria’s withdrawal in protest against “ill treatment of own troops and non recognition of the roles it has been playing in the search for global peace. Nigeria was shabbily treated despite its role in efforts to stabilise the situation in Mali. The President has no choice but to order that the troops be withdrawn. The modalities for the withdrawal are now being worked out now. Look, left to the military, Nigerian troops would have been home by now. But our diplomats are sorting out the procedural issues involved. Otherwise, we are out.”
Last month, UN Secretary General UN, Ban Kin Moon announced the appointment of Maj. Gen. Jean Bosco Kazura of Rwanda as the new Force Commander of MINUSMA, sidelining Nigeria’s Major General Shehu Adbulkadir who was the force commander of AFISMA from inception in January 2013.
Despite being the fourth largest troop contributing country under the United Nations Peacekeeping Operations, no Nigeria has any appointment as the Force Commander in any of the UN peace keeping missions.
The UN currently has 15 peacekeeping operations and one special political mission – the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA).

Source: http://ngrguardiannews.com/index.php/national-news/127395-govt-orders-withdrawal-of-troops-from-mali

3 Likes

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by sambos994(m): 5:11am On Jul 18, 2013
To be honest, it's high time we pull out. Because once the conflict dies down, we would be replacing our NA hats for "blue" hats and fight for the UN. F**k that. And we can use these soldiers to finish off Boko Haram.

1 Like

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by mankand(m): 6:48am On Jul 18, 2013
Well Soyinka is right, if you have an illiterate as a wife, you will make stupid decision like Jonathan.

Nigerian forces were not needed in the first place, only trying to prove some stunts a distant trying to get attention as well as winning hearts.

Nigeria forces sent to Mali were never engaged in any combat Mali, only Niger and Chad forces were engaged in combat alongside the French troops, Nigeria forces were been used for domestic errands in Mali.

This is another flaw recorded for the man that once had no shoes

11 Likes

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Ngwakwe: 7:31am On Jul 18, 2013
Judging by your comment, we can decode your high IQ and your problem solving skills.

He who does not know and does not know that he does not know and still refusing to understand his emptiness is something else.

mankand: Well Soyinka is right, if you have an illiterate as a wife, you will make stupid decision like Jonathan.

Nigerian forces were not needed in the first place, only trying to prove some stunts a distant trying to get attention as well as winning hearts.

Nigeria forces sent to Mali were never engaged in any combat Mali, only Niger and Chad forces were engaged in combat alongside the French troops, Nigeria forces were been used for domestic errands in Mali.

32 Likes

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Wendyslim(f): 7:41am On Jul 18, 2013
Na Wah ooo. After spending so much money on dem and the risk of life dey are still not recognised. Too bad
Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Maidoki14(m): 7:47am On Jul 18, 2013
Hope no nigerian army lost his life?
Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Handsomeemmy(m): 7:49am On Jul 18, 2013
I'm looking forward to the day when we are going to analyse issues on Nairaland without having to insult people or unnecessary name calling . When did we lost our sense of constructive criticism? May God help us all.
For the records, not all governement decisions are right and not all oppossition criticism are called for or right in every sense, some criticism are just out of pure hatred for individual personality.

9 Likes

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by mankand(m): 8:17am On Jul 18, 2013
Ngwakwe: Judging by your comment, we can decode your high IQ and your problem solving skills.

He who does not know and does not know that he does not know and still refusing to understand his emptiness is something else.

Before you talk or blast me, take a trip to Mali and see with your own eyes. I just returned from Senegal for my Ghana. Students and because of my Nigerian troops, I decided to take my route via northern Mali to see if I can get a view of them.

I do not. Need to argue with goons like you because you reason just like your paymaster, but do not make the mistake to marry an illiterate as a wife.

4 Likes

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by omenka(m): 8:27am On Jul 18, 2013
Brb
Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by kodewrita(m): 9:11am On Jul 18, 2013
mankand: Well Soyinka is right, if you have an illiterate as a wife, you will make stupid decision like Jonathan.

True, I recall reading a news article a while back that claimed Nigerian troops were only being used in Mali as logistics support and traffic control for the mobile troops.

3 Likes

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Ngwakwe: 9:33am On Jul 18, 2013
Define illiterate if you are not one and tell me how that relates to PEJ

Do you know that ability to read and write Ijaw makes one literate and the next is to conquer the world using an interpreter, your acumen and courage?

mankand:

Before you talk or blast me, take a trip to Mali and see with your own eyes. I just returned from Senegal for my Ghana. Students and because of my Nigerian troops, I decided to take my route via northern Mali to see if I can get a view of them.

I do not. Need to argue with goons like you because you reason just like your paymaster, but do not make the mistake to marry an illiterate as a wife.

1 Like

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Decapo: 9:42am On Jul 18, 2013
Click like if you've not eaten breakfast

9 Likes

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by 80million1: 9:42am On Jul 18, 2013
okay
Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by 80million1: 9:43am On Jul 18, 2013
#80million:
okay
okay again
Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by ebucha: 9:43am On Jul 18, 2013
Foolish people. Because they know our soldiers have endurance and outstanding in gorilla and infantry type of battle, they now decide to use us as pawns on the battle field with no of our general in any key position. Years back the US almost labeled us a terrorist nation regardless of the role we played in Liberia, Sierra leone, somalia, Sudan etc. I support FG on this.

5 Likes

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by 80million1: 9:45am On Jul 18, 2013
ebucha: .
i catch u, u dey book space

1 Like

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by sobaemma(m): 9:52am On Jul 18, 2013
in this administartion we are 4 once demonstrating power,nigeria should open their eyes,those troops should be deploy back immediately,foolish un

1 Like

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by takeprofit: 9:52am On Jul 18, 2013
it appears the troops were sent to mali to checkmate boko haram's shekau. now things r getting under control, no need keeping them there.

1 Like

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by 9jawikileaks(m): 9:53am On Jul 18, 2013
Yes zir pls redeploy those trooops niii, we need em in boko-haram infested states...
Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 18, 2013

Sorry, you need medical checkup

5 Likes

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 18, 2013
/
Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by ebucha: 9:55am On Jul 18, 2013
#80million:

i catch u, u dey book space
u really catch me my brother
Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Omen100(m): 9:57am On Jul 18, 2013
Ngwakwe: Define illiterate if you are not one and tell me how that relates to PEJ

Do you know that ability to read and write Ijaw makes one literate and the next is to conquer the world using an interpreter, your acumen and courage?

Dame. Patience Jonathan is an illiterate & I hope this my definition is enough?

2 Likes

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Nobody: 9:57am On Jul 18, 2013
Pull them out, Is clear that the world and UN is envy of us, they don't want the success of the mission to be attributed to any Nigerian, so lets pull out our military back home.

1 Like

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Dprinzcolection: 9:57am On Jul 18, 2013
I strongly believe we need peace and stability in our country first before thinking of maintaining peace in another mans land.
Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Ngwakwe: 10:00am On Jul 18, 2013
I like your style, very precise.

Omen100:

Re: Govt Orders Withdrawal Of Troops From Mali. by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 18, 2013
Omen100:

Illiterate means someone that cant read and write, so do you mean to say that our first lady doesn't know how to read and write?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari’s Liaison Officer, Nura Rimi, Sent On Diplomatic Posting To UAE / Igbo's Cannot Be Seeking Economic Independence And Still Be Talking South South / AIG Garba Baba Umar Emerges Interpol Vice President In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.