Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

Automatic Gearbox Problems - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Gearbox Problems (188710 Views)

Are You An Automatic Gearbox Wrecker? / Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here / Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by ola80(m): 7:34pm On Dec 30, 2013
Dear Car Doctor,
Please I have a problem with my Honda Accord Automatic 2001 Wagon. The auto gear does not select when in D4. It selects in D2 but moves very slow. I complained to my Mechanic and he said we should change the Gear Fluid. It was changed and the filter washed but still no chan ges in the D4 selection. D4 does not select. It makes a howling sound while in D4 except I change to D2. WHAT CAN I DO?

I read in one of the posts above that the recommended Honda ATF fluid is ATF Z-1 or DW-1, Can I get it to rectify the problem? Will it solve the Gear problem?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by ola80(m): 10:29am On Jan 03, 2014
Car Doctor or anyone else, please reply to this post below:

Dear Car Doctor,
Please I have a problem with my Honda Accord Automatic 2001 Wagon. The auto gear does not select when in D4. It selects in D2 but moves very slow. I complained to my Mechanic and he said we should change the Gear Fluid. It was changed and the filter washed but still no chan ges in the D4 selection. D4 does not select. It makes a howling sound while in D4 except I change to D2. WHAT CAN I DO?

I read in one of the posts above that the recommended Honda ATF fluid is ATF Z-1 or DW-1, Can I get it to rectify the problem? Will it solve the Gear problem?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by mikkyrazzy: 5:49pm On Jan 03, 2014
delaw4u: Tanx car doctor
My car is vw passat 2003
1.8t
Auto tranny
Issue
1 when I put the car to drive and reverse it vibrate and when is at park or neutral it stop
2 the car consume more fuel that it should consume
Please what do you suggest is the problem and solutions
Tanx

You may want to have your mechanic check all your engine mounts (seat). I've had such problem before and replacing one of them solved it.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by skipo123: 6:16am On Jan 04, 2014
Dear car Dr,
your thread is highly appreciated. Pls which atf and engine oil is suitable for 03 acura MDX.
Also I noticed noise on my front wheels while driving through potholes.
And I was told to check my stabilizer.
pls what can be responsible?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by coolsegun2002: 6:59am On Jan 04, 2014
Pls help my toyota camry pencil light gives me a 5sec delay transmission SUMTIMES..it gives me this large reluctant sound then jerks foward later.sumtimes when I notice its about to behave dat way I just quickly repress the the accelerator den it moves immediately........I've removed the transmission fluid nd replaced with brand new one properly guaged...still d same I've taken it to mechanics., some cant daignose d issue.. Some say nothing is wrong with it..I'm confused..
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by ogmask: 12:30pm On Jan 04, 2014
Dera car-doctor,
I use an infiniti m35x 2006 model.
My immediate probs is aggressive gear change and very noisy hubs. I have changed the hub at some point but its like a fake was fitted. As for the gearbox i hav not bothered to touch it because i do not want to do try ur luck with it.
I also experience acute oil shortage as a result of substabdard oil filter.
Pls let me know if u can supply me with original parts so i can fix the hub and serious shake when decelerating from any speed above 120k/hr. This happens when i step on my brake pedal on highway.
My contact is og_maskman@yahoo.com.
As for the gearbox, ur expert advise is highly welcomed.
Tnx
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Dr9ce(m): 2:35pm On Jan 04, 2014
very educative thread car doctor. Pls which ATF is the best for a mazda 626, 2001 model, V6?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Nobody: 1:15am On Jan 05, 2014
Hello Sir My 2003 Toyota Camry was making a noise when accelerating and it sounded like the hub which i changed and it reduced but later increased. Took to my mechanic in Lagos cos I was in Akure when I changed the hub and he said it is the "belbow" in the gear and recommend I changed cos he can't guarantee a fix. Took it to my friends mechanic and he said he can't fix it now I don't really know what to do now.

Can you help me fix it or do I need a new gear

Thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by davids202(m): 6:18am On Jan 07, 2014
nice
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by OgbeniDudu: 4:39am On Jan 08, 2014
car-doctor:
Automatic gearbox issues have become a reoccuring decimal to any automatic car owner. Slow take off, sluggish acceleration, lack of kick down, loss of drive while in motion, lack of gear change, aggressive gear changes, high engine revs without power in drive just to name a few.

From my observation and the complaints made by some of our customers, these problems usually start from a gearbox oil change that was recommended by the mechanic who then uses the wrong type of ATF oil for the transmission.

Most car manufacturers develop their own ATF formular for their cars.

Honda recommends their own formular ATF-z1 for their gearboxes manufactured between 1998 to 2009 and upgraded to the ATF-Dw1 for gearboxes manufactured from 2010 upwards.

Toyota uses the Type 4 ATF for their cars manufactured between1996 to 2007 and the Toyota WS ATF for ones manufactured between 2007 to present.

Most other car manufactures have also upgraded the type of ATF for their modern cars.

Using the wrong grade of ATF would almost certainly result in a failing transmission. Low grade ATF may not be able to handle the high temperature operations operations of a gearbox. Under very high temperatures, low grade oil loses its fluidity and may begin to boil causing loss of hydraulic functions by frothing or foaming.

Some remedies I have seen used by local mechanics is to further add engine oil to the gearbox in order to thicken the viscosity of the ATF. This in turn puts the pump under great stress as the thicker oil would require more effort from the pump in distributing the oil under high pressure as well as the oil filter which is usually embedded within the transmission gear train. (The removal and changing of all Honda transmission oil filter would require the removal of the gear box from the car and stripping down the gearbox)

The resulting consequence would be an imminent and extreme overheating of the transmission and components such as the friction plates and a rapid degradation of the wet clutch fibres hence the loss of drive, slipping clutch and rough gear changes.

Replacing the gearbox or a total overhaul by an expert would be the likely solution but before then, an inexperienced mechanic would Send you on a wild goose chase by suggesting the removal and servicing or outright replacement of shift solenoids on the outer casing of the gearbox. These solutions Don't last as its just a temporal remedy to a terminal issue.

We constantly repair these gearboxes and those of other makes to a very high standard with 99.9% success rate and we recommend that if you are having serious issues with your automatic gearbox, ensure that the appropriate procedures are followed.

Car-Doctor.

Hi Car-Doctor
Thanks for this page. You seem experienced and knowledgeable. I live in the US and just got a 2002 accord accord few weeks back from a dealer here but I have some problems described:
(1) I feel an annoying jerk each time I come to a full stop with my foot on the brake pedal. The jerk is a little milder if I decelerate gently.
(2) I feel the same jerk if I put my car in drive (D4) from P or R. Jerks not noticeable when I put in R from D or P.
(3) I feel some vibrations at a stop with the car in gear and my foot on the brake. Gets scary if AC is on. For this I just got my right rear motor mount replaced (which the mechanic told me was broken). Vibrations still there but only reduced.
I had the thought that my transmission might be having issues so I recently drained the fluid to replace with ATF-DW1. No improvement. I don't know if I need to do this again.
It might sound strange that I'm contacting you from the US. Like I said, I get the impression that you know what you are talking about, unlike the majority here. I've been to different auto shops here, leaving more confused. Each gave different diagnostics. I've spent a lot as well just to find out what the problem might be. PLEASE HELP as soon as you can.
Thanks

OgbeniDudu
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by surjema: 4:23pm On Jan 09, 2014
Car-Doctor, where and how much would auxilary gear for Lexus RX300 cost. Mine is bad. thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by RoyalOhilebo(m): 10:35am On Jun 29, 2014
Car Doc. Plx I use a peageot 607 2000 model V6 engine. I travelled a long distance with it, N it had problem going beyoung 90km/h after a while it normalised. Jst last week n my way 4m work, d car stoped. N refuse to move y on Drive. D reserve worked bt nt perfectly, I managed it to get it to a mech. D. Gear oil was changed with Mobil ATF220, but d car still didn't move. A scan was carried out, n de scan it has to do with d fibre. A change de said he required. Car doc. 1. Can dis b d problem, 2. Can dis car move well again if d fibre is changed? 3 N wot is d idea of d cost. Plz reply. I need answers plz
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by rainmaker12(m): 8:16pm On Jul 01, 2014
Please, what's the main result of over gauging an auto gear transmission oil. I get slow acceleration and raise down wen engaging gear 4.
tanx pple.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by arewatech(m): 5:46pm On Jul 04, 2014
Hi Car Doc,

Nice job. Below is a picture of my new car and would like to know the right gear box oil for it incase I need to change it.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by kellsmartins(m): 11:03pm On Jul 06, 2014
[Hello every one hope d day was cool for ya'all?incase u wondering how to do that upcoming event,d solutions ur looking for is here,phronesis is one of the best event management consult u can afford cheaply,just contact us on our twitter handle,@phronesisconcep,or call, 07065713833,or contact us on kellsmartins35@gmail.com,we look forward in seeing u.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by kolaaderin: 12:09pm On Jul 07, 2014
Hello doc, what is the effect of bypassing a transmission from the radiator. i got a pathfinder which we hav bypassed after a radiator leak, i got to know on time and got it flushed with the manufacturer recommended fluid totally. initially works fine and later when we took it on a longer journey, the transmission started misbehaving, i realized that once the car is hot then this problem sets in. works normal early in the morning when cold could this be as a result of the bypass so as to buy a new radiator for the proper cooling or could we conclude we has lost the transmission and get it replaced.

the symptoms is that sometimes will not count the last gear until it has been over revved and comes with a bit loud kick then gets very lazy as if its stuck on gear 5 and will have to ref it high to move from stop. works normal in reverse gear at all time either cold or hot.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by DECOtech(m): 1:18am On Jul 11, 2014
ping2ping: hi car doctor. Thanks for the good things you are doing on nairaland.

Please i hear that Mazda cars are prone to auto gear problems. Do you know if Mazda MPV 2001 or 2002 which comes as a standard auto gear without option of manual is prone to having gear problems? I intend buying 2001 or 2002 model but very afraid of auto gear issues.

Thank you again

. I knw a friend that have used a 2001 Mazda MPV for 8 yrs and has never had a problem with his gearbox. Besides, a tokunbo gearbox of the said vehicle does not cost more than 25k

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by jimmyjerry07(m): 7:51pm On Jul 14, 2014
Well done Car Doc, please do you have an idea of how much I can get a complete Toyota Sienna AWD 2005 gear box (fairly used n brand new), I have spent close to 100k in repair yet no soluton. I am advised to get a new one instead of wasting more money. Presently, the car has to Rev so high before it changes gear and the gear makes a lousy sound on motion.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by fidelio2002: 5:06pm On Jul 16, 2014
cardoctor:

Use the Toyota type t4.

I really wouldn't advise you to use Oando atf when there is the Toyota type T4 in the market. That's the best oil for your gearbox.

Car-Doctor.
@ car doc thanks for all d info. U r d man! Pls where in abuja can i get d toyota type 4 ATF to buy? I need one for my toyota camry 2003 model.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by assalambj: 9:26am On Jul 19, 2014
Dear Car Doctor

Pls, the Engine of my Toyota Camry 1997 model always ravvv high before the Automatic transmission Gear moves from gear 2 to 3. Pls what could be the problem and solution. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by billante(m): 9:32am On Jul 19, 2014
@cardoctor my honda accord 2004 just started having loss of drive gear while in motion

This started happening after I changed the fuel pump and spark plugs! I don't know if they relate!

What is the cause of this? And pls advice me on the best solution and how much it will cost to solve d problem.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by solonike1: 1:15am On Jul 21, 2014
Dear Doctor ,
My car 1999 sienna as a shift solenoid error code PO753 ....pls help
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by BossTycoon: 9:23pm On Aug 12, 2014
OgbeniDudu:
Hi Car-Doctor
Thanks for this page. You seem experienced and knowledgeable. I live in the US and just got a 2002 accord accord few weeks back from a dealer here but I have some problems described:
(1) I feel an annoying jerk each time I come to a full stop with my foot on the brake pedal. The jerk is a little milder if I decelerate gently.
(2) I feel the same jerk if I put my car in drive (D4) from P or R. Jerks not noticeable when I put in R from D or P.
(3) I feel some vibrations at a stop with the car in gear and my foot on the brake. Gets scary if AC is on. For this I just got my right rear motor mount replaced (which the mechanic told me was broken). Vibrations still there but only reduced.
I had the thought that my transmission might be having issues so I recently drained the fluid to replace with ATF-DW1. No improvement. I don't know if I need to do this again.
It might sound strange that I'm contacting you from the US. Like I said, I get the impression that you know what you are talking about, unlike the majority here. I've been to different auto shops here, leaving more confused. Each gave different diagnostics. I've spent a lot as well just to find out what the problem might be. PLEASE HELP as soon as you can.
Thanks
OgbeniDudu

I think my honda accord 2002 is also having the same problem . Pls if u've found solution Holla me. My mechanic said its the inner cup dat or the bearing but I don't know which to believe again. I've changed ATFs and engingin sittings. But the thing is tiring.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 6:02am On Aug 22, 2014
delaw4u: Tanx car doctor
My car is vw passat 2003
1.8t
Auto tranny
Issue
1 when I put the car to drive and reverse it vibrate and when is at park or neutral it stop
2 the car consume more fuel that it should consume
Please what do you suggest is the problem and solutions
Tanx

You really need to have your car checked properly by an experienced mechanic. Check engine and gearbox mounts and scan for any issues with the powertrain.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Deeni131: 5:29pm On Aug 29, 2014
Hello Car Dr my honda civic(panadol extra)'98 is having problem lately. Every now and then the gear get out and become free my mechanic said I should change it again . Now I wanna kno which type of cable gear box is good for my panadol extra H/civic'98. Cos I learn that there are two type of cable gear box I can use on my civic . I don't the sensor one cos is too expensive for me . Pls guide me am really confuse .
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Nwunuken(m): 2:16pm On Aug 31, 2014
Marpol:

If it is a Honda Accord, kindly remove it fast!
were can some one find ATF Z1 for honda
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Marpol: 11:03pm On Aug 31, 2014
Nwunuken: were can some one find ATF Z1 for honda

Z1 has been stopped by Honda. It was replaced by DW1.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by bobotope: 12:14pm On Sep 01, 2014
Dear Doc,
I was about overtaking a car on the express yesterday when I discovered that my Toyota Camry 2003 would not shift gear and an oncoming vehicle almost had an head on collision with me though I managed to swerve away. I later noticed that changing gear takes time on the car especially shifting down from maybe 4. Please what could be the cause
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Macmilla(m): 5:57pm On Sep 16, 2014
Car dr., I greet thee.
I appreciate your work here.
I just got a honda babyboy 2001 model, while driving it, it upshifts and downshifts normally under calm situation but I noticed a problem when in ab emergency. Normally, in case of emergency when the car is in motion but you need fast acceleration, if you floor the throttle, the car should downshift one or two gears depending on current speed, to be able to give the take-off that you need. This does not happen, instead if you floor the throttle, it will start reving, making noise and slipping till you release the throttle. I checked the manual and it is clearly written that it should downshift to accelerate fast. Please what do you think is the problem and the possible solution?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by chosen124: 5:32pm On Sep 18, 2014
fyneboi79: I had a similar experience with my honda car which I tot d gear box was gone for good only τ̲̅ȍ be directed τ̲̅ȍ a mechanic @ iyana ipaja here in lagos who is a guru in transmission problems.and after fixing Į̸̸̨ƭ d gear selects smoothly and runs very fine.He even claims τ̲̅ȍ fix the so called burnt or dead transmission of which I saw several cars both toks and used cars waiting τ̲̅ȍ be fixed.
please me the contact of this guy Please
thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by fyneboi79(m): 7:07pm On Sep 18, 2014
chosen124:
please me the contact of this guy Please
thanks
will get it for ‎u.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by chosen124: 8:19pm On Sep 18, 2014
fyneboi79: will get it for ‎u.

thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.