Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,764 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Automatic Gearbox Problems - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Gearbox Problems (189028 Views)

Are You An Automatic Gearbox Wrecker? / Automatic Gearbox Issues. Find help here / Can I Replace Manual Gearbox Wt Automatic Gearbox On Benz 230E? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by younglawya(m): 6:22pm On Sep 24, 2013
Hello sir
Do you have an office in lagos? If yes where?

1 Like

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by uhuns: 8:18am On Sep 25, 2013
Hi all,
I guess the op means well to clearify issues on oil types.
Having changed three gear boxes in six mth due to oil I might share my thoughts .
All auto maker have their oils to international system of naming say dextron . This is listed one to four. With the one series being for older cars and four for newer ones

All am saying use a higher a higher spec. Where I am only texaco has dex three
Word of caution don't use abro for gear box. My gear box is 140k and I had to get 3 of that kind of learnt my lesson. That's about 4yrs ago.

Thus your best bet is to google out the one for your car.use the one next above your recommended speck.
For the cars with dextron 3
I will recommend texaco it's way expensive butt it will save you. I used seahorse and got my box fried in just 3 weeks.I use a nativa sports
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by ceetee: 1:10pm On Sep 25, 2013
ceetee:
Hi. Pls I'm a novice my avalon ATF guage is on minimum &requires genuine toyota ws atf . Where can I get it or its equivalent(total or Mobil) in Abuja. Do u reccommend Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.
It is advisable to top-up with a different brand or do a complete flush? Never changed the ATF before . Thanks
Still waiting..............
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by okeyz(m): 6:38pm On Sep 25, 2013
good day peeps

how many litres of ATF Honda transmission fluid will I use for gear transmission oil change?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by kulikuli45: 5:13am On Sep 26, 2013
I drive a 2007 Camry v6. I recently changed the shaft and since then, the transmission has been having difficulty engaging reverse. Sometimes, it will engage and disengage immediately, while at other tines, it will work well. What could be responsible? Pls advise/assist. Thanks.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Olisa4all: 8:07am On Sep 26, 2013
JaaizTech:
I find it shocking that you used about 7 litres instead of 3 litres. Was the transmission giving problems before the oil change?? would advise you read the car manual on how to check the Transmission oil level. Too much transmission oil can mess things up as well.

That buttresses my point, the "dry fill" column

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Stylz69(m): 1:10pm On Sep 26, 2013
ceetee:
Still waiting..............
You can get genuine Toyota WS ATF from Gudu market or inside Apo mechanic village. It costs between 8000 and 8500 for the 4 litre can. I knw cos I drained mine bout a month ago
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by stanlo300: 1:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
My Toyota 2004 Camry only select gear 1,2 and 3 only.my mechanic said is electrical fault.pls I need us help
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Cuzz: 2:53pm On Sep 27, 2013
My golf 3 doesnt select gear One again and whenever I put it on drive it wont move bt rather be making noise as i press the trottle,other gears are all ok. Is my gear Box dead?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by jcshols: 8:45am On Oct 24, 2013
Guys,pls whch ATF can I use for 407 V6?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by ZIMDRILL(m): 11:11am On Oct 24, 2013
Cuzz: My golf 3 doesnt select gear One again and whenever I put it on drive it wont move bt rather be making noise as i press the trottle,other gears are all ok. Is my gear Box dead?

if there is no engine management then thats a sign that your clutches aka (fibre) are gone
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Uncleodi(m): 7:38am On Oct 25, 2013
Car d0ct0r, I just acquired a US used 2004 h0nda. After abt 0ne m0nth, I started hearing an extra s0und when I am in m0ti0n. This s0und usually s0unds like the engine when y0u are driving but 0n A̷̷̴̐͠ higher pitch. I d0nt knw h0w t0 explain this: 0k- imagine y0u are driving a 504 at midnight when the radi0 stati0ns are 0ffline and y0u turn 0n ur radi0, y0u will suddenly n0tice that the radi0 is pr0ducing a s0und c0ming fr0m ur level 0f accelerati0n if y0u match brake it st0ps. That is the kind 0f s0und I hear fr0m my engine when I drive with my radi0 0ff. S0 what c0uld ßε̲̣ the pr0blem?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Peacefullife: 5:35pm On Oct 25, 2013
Car gurus

Pls where can I get the right ATF for a 2004 Ford Escape? Or is any of the reliable guys selling it? I also learnt that I will need 11 ltrs if am not wrong.

Your views and advice needed pls.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by dandollar1: 8:58am On Oct 29, 2013
Why is my gear stick usually hard to shift from park to reverse, especially in the mornings, but at times moves freely?
Is it normal?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by omotoda(m): 10:34am On Oct 29, 2013
Peacefullife: Car gurus

Pls where can I get the right ATF for a 2004 Ford Escape? Or is any of the reliable guys selling it? I also learnt that I will need 11 ltrs if am not wrong.

2004 Ford Escape uses mercon ATF if I am not mistaken so any Dexron 111 ATF brand of repute should be fine except you specifically want to order for it from abroad. Sienna or IDAchaba could assist you with that.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Marpol: 11:42am On Oct 29, 2013
dan_dollar: Why is my gear stick usually hard to shift from park to reverse, especially in the mornings, but at times moves freely?
Is it normal?

Change your ATF with the recommended fluid.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by dandollar1: 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2013
Marpol:

Change your ATF with the recommended fluid.
I'm using the correct fluid.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by stray800: 3:12pm On Oct 29, 2013
nyc one doc,read through ur trend and just understood d probs with my car civic 01,it has been cutting off while in motion and had the fuel pump changed several times until yesterday while it cut off in motion yesterday came by ur trend while trying to look for a solution on line,wld have to send for the ATF z1 gear oil from abuja cos what they av here is a red can going and was adviced to go for oando but kicked against the idea apart from ur well researched and documented forum created to assist novice like me,its same on line when i checked on line,thanks so much,keep up ur good work.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by kenmaro: 5:28pm On Oct 29, 2013
Peacefullife: Car gurus

Ford uses mercon atf and you can get ford motorcraft mercon atf at ford dealership along mobolaji bank Anthony way in Lagos or U could also use coastal mercon atf available at autoselect outlet.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by urchmanx(m): 12:27pm On Oct 30, 2013
car-doctor:
Automatic gearbox issues have become a reoccuring decimal to any automatic car owner. Slow take off, sluggish acceleration, lack of kick down, loss of drive while in motion, lack of gear change, aggressive gear changes, high engine revs without power in drive just to name a few.

From my observation and the complaints made by some of our customers, these problems usually start from a gearbox oil change that was recommended by the mechanic who then uses the wrong type of ATF oil for the transmission.

Most car manufacturers develop their own ATF formular for their cars.

Honda recommends their own formular ATF-z1 for their gearboxes manufactured between 1998 to 2009 and upgraded to the ATF-Dw1 for gearboxes manufactured from 2010 upwards.

Toyota uses the Type 4 ATF for their cars manufactured between1996 to 2007 and the Toyota WS ATF for ones manufactured between 2007 to present.

Most other car manufactures have also upgraded the type of ATF for their modern cars.

Using the wrong grade of ATF would almost certainly result in a failing transmission. Low grade ATF may not be able to handle the high temperature operations operations of a gearbox. Under very high temperatures, low grade oil loses its fluidity and may begin to boil causing loss of hydraulic functions by frothing or foaming.

Some remedies I have seen used by local mechanics is to further add engine oil to the gearbox in order to thicken the viscosity of the ATF. This in turn puts the pump under great stress as the thicker oil would require more effort from the pump in distributing the oil under high pressure as well as the oil filter which is usually embedded within the transmission gear train. (The removal and changing of all Honda transmission oil filter would require the removal of the gear box from the car and stripping down the gearbox)

The resulting consequence would be an imminent and extreme overheating of the transmission and components such as the friction plates and a rapid degradation of the wet clutch fibres hence the loss of drive, slipping clutch and rough gear changes.

Replacing the gearbox or a total overhaul by an expert would be the likely solution but before then, an inexperienced mechanic would Send you on a wild goose chase by suggesting the removal and servicing or outright replacement of shift solenoids on the outer casing of the gearbox. These solutions Don't last as its just a temporal remedy to a terminal issue.

We constantly repair these gearboxes and those of other makes to a very high standard with 99.9% success rate and we recommend that if you are having serious issues with your automatic gearbox, ensure that the appropriate procedures are followed.

Car-Doctor.

Do you fix Mercedes transmission if yes kindly send me your contact I will love to have some talk with you.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by kaykay27(m): 10:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
Hi,
Please for a 2004 Jetta, what kind of ATF would you recommend?
Used Holts when I changed the gear but I noticed it slips when temperature is high.
Thanks.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by fyneboi79(m): 7:36am On Nov 02, 2013
I had a similar experience with my honda car which I tot d gear box was gone for good only τ̲̅ȍ be directed τ̲̅ȍ a mechanic @ iyana ipaja here in lagos who is a guru in transmission problems.and after fixing Į̸̸̨ƭ d gear selects smoothly and runs very fine.He even claims τ̲̅ȍ fix the so called burnt or dead transmission of which I saw several cars both toks and used cars waiting τ̲̅ȍ be fixed.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 03, 2013
hi.
can you tell me the auto gear oil specific for BMW 3 series(2000)

im thinking of draining the oil inside and using the recommended one

will oando dextron III suffice?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Miketerry: 7:37pm On Nov 03, 2013
Please can u tell me which type of ATF would i use for my v booth 230E and camry 1999 model
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:20am On Nov 08, 2013
JaaizTech:

Hi Car-Doctor, kindly advise me: Would you recommend changing the Automatic Transmission Gear Box to a Tokunbo when it fails or do you believe it can be rebuilt to perform almost like a new one. If yes, what option cost most, using Accord 2003 as an example can you give a quote

Gearbox repairs depends on how experienced the repairer is. Chances are that something may end up going wrong if its not meticulously and properly repaired. This may eventually become an uneconomical resolve in addition to the stress of breaking down on the road or other malfunctions that may result.

Best thing to do is change the gearbox completely. Although this may be a more expensive option, its still pays in the long run because you will have a reasonable peace of mind knowing that the new (Tokunbo) gearbox is still original and hasn't been tampered with. Use manufacturer recommended ATF. (In the example of the Honda Accord 2003, use the Honda ATF-Z1)

Car-Doctor.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:25am On Nov 08, 2013
vitality22: Hello car doc, pls what atf is best for nissan xterra 2001 model?
Pls kindly recommend any good one.

Nissan Matic-D is the best.

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by cardoctor(m): 8:39am On Nov 08, 2013
elektra80:

Honda stopped making ATF Z-1 and replaced it with ATF DW-1. The poster might find it difficult to get Z-1 but DW-1 is available in Nigeria and it works well for 2005 Honda accord.

You may be right but the ATF Z1 is still very much available. I bought a carton of 12 last Saturday to do a tranny flush on a Honda Pilot.

Yeah, ATF DW1 is ok for the Honda Accord 2005.

Car-doctor.

Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by delaw4u: 12:56pm On Nov 08, 2013
Hello car doctor
wish engine oil can I use to service my volkswagen passat 2003 1.8T engine, and the transmission fluids plus the coolant urgent responces
I need to services my car and where can I get the engine oil the manual says 5W-40 for the engine oil whre do I get or any similar engine oil
Thanks
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by Silay: 10:51am On Nov 13, 2013
Pls I need to change the ATF for my Nissan Pathfinder 1999/2000 Model. Whats the best ATF for this type of vehincel.
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by awolols(m): 11:27pm On Nov 14, 2013
Hey doc. I was scared to death tonight cos I thought my 08 accord would not getme home. Drove down a slope as usual rpm went up but this time VSA and ABS lights came on. Thereafter gears selects only 1. If it manages to go to 2 its with a vigorous jerk. The D light is also blinking. What do you think is the problem?
Re: Automatic Gearbox Problems by ReLaTE(m): 4:57pm On Nov 15, 2013
Does a faulty brainbox affects gearbox coz my gear is nt selecting well and I was adviced to change my Ecu.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Official Nissan & Infiniti Thread / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector / The Audi And Volkswagen Issues Resolution Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.