Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,247 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police (18452 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / David Oyedepo Got Painted By Nigerian Artist Ayeola Ayodeji / My Dad Has Been Detained 4 Two Months, Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by eightsin(m): 4:35am On Jul 19, 2013
godwinony:
ewu mpam..
@op..our police are so lawless and there isn't much we can do about it..i was fortunate to escape yesterday from a compound where i was charging my psp and phone when police men stormed the building and rounded off everyone because they caught a guy with wraps of indian hemp in the neigbouring compound, how the thing take concern the compound i dey, i no know..

Lmfao...u're lucky.

@op, Police is more of your enemy than friend... its a pity it happened the way it did.
in this case,i dnt think sueing wld do any gud cos u wld hav to prove beyond all doubt n to do that, u need evidence which i presume u lack. So move on with life.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Nobody: 6:27am On Jul 19, 2013
OP. Have you heard about the judges rule? Your suit might not succeed.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Nelrulez(m): 6:33am On Jul 19, 2013
That act is so disgusting... Press charges against them but u should be ready to waste like years waiting for verdict..

1 Like

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by stainless40: 6:54am On Jul 19, 2013
otijah: You no get sense. @op just be thanking GOd that u guys are out and healthy leave the rest for God.
You are a coward for such statement

1 Like

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by keo01: 7:03am On Jul 19, 2013
1st timer on nairaland
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Kay17: 7:21am On Jul 19, 2013
@OP

I heard Fundamental Human Rights Enforcement Procedure takes at most 4 months, and sue for unlawful detention etc.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by agitator: 8:28am On Jul 19, 2013
edwardjr: pls Nairalanders

what would you do if police broke into your house by 1.20am to arrest you and your dad alone, because boy was be-headed last month and the body dumped in a primary sch.in your neighbourhood?

N/B:
1.they said they were petitioned and that the commissioner of police said they were not doing anything about the incident(murder case)

2.They said they were on mass arrest but 2 other tenants were not arrested in my compound apart from about 10 other innocent people living close.

3. We were taken into the cell directly without writing our statements and were kept in cell till 9am

4. the police collected 10,000 for our bail(me and my dad).

5. It was after all this that we were now asked to write our statements.

6. My dad was under medications,sick yet he was put into d cell without clothes to cover cold and it triggered his BP which was very high.

I want to sue!

it is a normal thing in Nigeria. I have adviced people before, if somebody is murdered in your vicinity and the killer is not in police net, relocate sharp sharp. Una too dull. angry angry angry angry
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by olajide8(m): 9:19am On Jul 19, 2013
I am very sure that's Lagos O! Mehn a chick I know experienced same yesterday - her mothers tenant beat her up and she went to report the case rather then go and arrest the culprit she was locked up yesterday night *Lagos police are the worst kind of police anywhere in nigeria*
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Urine: 9:51am On Jul 19, 2013
We all know the solution to this problem, we're just to scared to start.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by dom(m): 10:00am On Jul 19, 2013
first of all i'd like to empathise and say sorry for the embarrasment your dad suffered. I imagine you would have preferred if he hadnt been subjected to that opprobrium. now, about suing. Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy. So I think you can sue, not for enforcement of fundamental human rights, but for damages. You could proceed by first getting your lawyer to write the state commissioner of police and copy the I.G. In the letter he should narrate your experiences and then ask for a written apology and 50 million naira damages to be paid within 14 days failure of which you'll proceed to court. The letter will compel them to invite your lawyer for settlement out of court. When they pay you the reduced amount don't forget to inform me so i can send my legal bill to you.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by architectB(m): 10:00am On Jul 19, 2013
pls pls and pls sue them for nothing less than N100 million naira. the way i see it, its a lifetime opportunity for you 2 get very rich, look 4 a good human rights lawyer and make sure they pay 4 putting u and ur dad thru such inconvenience...
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by kolado(m): 10:32am On Jul 19, 2013
dom: first of all i'd like to empathise and say sorry for the embarrasment your dad suffered. I imagine you would have preferred if he hadnt been subjected to that opprobrium. now, about suing. Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy. So I think you can sue, not for enforcement of fundamental human rights, but for damages. You could proceed by first getting your lawyer to write the state commissioner of police and copy the I.G. In the letter he should narrate your experiences and then ask for a written apology and 50 million naira damages to be paid within 14 days failure of which you'll proceed to court. The letter will compel them to invite your lawyer for settlement out of court. When they pay you the reduced amount don't forget to inform me so i can send my legal bill to you.
You said it all. Are you a lawyer?
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Dannylux: 10:49am On Jul 19, 2013
dehcko: that's 9ja for you. lawless country with clueless president.....
What has the president got to do in this matter?if you fall from the stairs you blame GEJ, if your food sour you blame GEJ, if you wake up late GEJ y'all keep criticizing him. you digressed and started blaming the president like you'd do better if put in any political position. you should learn to be rational and not level every blame on your president. We're all humans and Humans are embodiment of imperfection.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by dom(m): 12:02pm On Jul 19, 2013
kolado: You said it all. Are you a lawyer?
10 years at the bar.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by born2boink(m): 12:12pm On Jul 19, 2013
kabba7: When will Nigerians wise up somone posted an allefation U̶̲̥̅̊ did not investigate but virtually jump to conclusion that the allegation is true is this part of prove of being educated ?
If anyone stupidly gave 10k to a policeman let him collect the reciept from the IGP in Abuja .
If U̶̲̥̅̊ are not dumb why give money to police are they courts or don't U̶̲̥̅̊ have some kuekue lawyer in your families as U̶̲̥̅̊ claim book everyday but still behave OLODO , Shior
You must be a police man, if he have lawyer in his family, he won't come here seeking for sue help or advice. Nonsense
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by KayDee4: 1:15pm On Jul 19, 2013
Lol !!
Guy, get a good lawyer and sue their ásses.
Some Naija policemen are uberuseless.

- Someone called the radio last week to complain he was unlawfully arrested and locked up for weeks by the black devils of the NPF (Ikeja area) and they threatened to kill him if he didn't pay them a certain amount (in millions). Talk about police extortion. He eventually paid and confirmed that some people were killed for not paying while he was there.

- One time (very recently), I was driving from Surulere, approaching the signal light in front of the National stadium, the light turned red and I slowed down and stopped. The guy behind me breaks out and drives past the red light, the policemen there jumped up with their guns cocked and the guy stopped. After talking for some seconds, the guy pulls out a bottle of ogogoro from the back seat and hands it to the policeman talking to him; his face changed from a strong-faced frown to a kitty-smile and he waves the guy away and gleefully runs to show his colleagues the bottle-of-whatever.

All I could do was shake my head in dismay.

* I heard there's an office of "the provost of the police" which serves as the police of the police, They are there to instill discipline in the police force. I don't know how effective they are but may be worth giving a try for police complaints. *
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by BluStreak(m): 1:35pm On Jul 19, 2013
iyobs7: My brother just thank God that u are out.
I dont have faith in the Judicial system in Nigeria
and even if u sue, what are u expecting? That they pay u millions of naira
Or that they should apologise and refund the 10k bail out money?
Even if they agree to pay anything, u will never get it.
Just chillax and thank God u are out...
U dont have any evidence that u gave them 10k for bail and they might plan u and ur dad l8r cry cry cry

@OP, bolded is the scariest of them all and will the Nigerian police of today do just that? The answer is a capital YES. Pls forget it and lick your wounds. My candid advice.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by touchmeder: 2:42pm On Jul 19, 2013
The good old Nigerian in me would say ''thank God you are out. Is daddy feeling better now? thank God its all over, please let him take his medication and you guys just move on with your life. No money to dash lawyer or police to follow up case.If you wan do gragra, you will definitely end up spending more than the money used for the bail. The court will waste your precious time and you give yourself more headache and enemies''

On the other hand, the fighter in me would say ''just get a lawyer and fight this out. Everyone knows what they did is wrong, its an abuse of their power and you dont have to take rubbish''.Its not about the money but you seeking justice for the wrong.Even if you dont get compensation, teach them a lesson so they tread softly next time.

Its really sad lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed. As a Nigerian citizen in this day and age considering what your potential earning maybe and the stress associated with pursuing this sort of case, i know which option i will advise you to go for but i wont say a thing. The choice is yours. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Oxygenmayo(m): 2:48pm On Jul 19, 2013
i passionately dislike our men in black..
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by toriade: 9:59pm On Jul 19, 2013
Constitution Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria Chapter_4

35. (1) Every person shall be entitled to his personal liberty and no person shall be deprived of such liberty save in the following cases and in accordance with a procedure permitted by law -

(a) in execution of the sentence or order of a court in respect of a criminal offence of which he has been found guilty;

(b) by reason of his failure to comply with the order of a court or in order to secure the fulfilment of any obligation imposed upon him by law;

(c) for the purpose of bringing him before a court in execution of the order of a court or upon reasonable suspicion of his having committed a criminal offence, or to such extent as may be reasonably necessary to prevent his committing a criminal offence;

(d) in the case of a person who has not attained the age of eighteen years for the purpose of his education or welfare;

(e) in the case of persons suffering from infectious or contagious disease, persons of unsound mind, persons addicted to drugs or alcohol or vagrants, for the purpose of their care or treatment or the protection of the community; or

(f) for the purpose of preventing the unlawful entry of any person into Nigeria or of effecting the expulsion, extradition or other lawful removal from Nigeria of any person or the taking of proceedings relating thereto:

Provided that a person who is charged with an offence and who has been detained in lawful custody awaiting trial shall not continue to be kept in such detention for a period longer than the maximum period of imprisonment prescribed for the offence.

(2) Any person who is arrested or detained shall have the right to remain silent or avoid answering any question until after consultation with a legal practitioner or any other person of his own choice.

(3) Any person who is arrested or detained shall be informed in writing within twenty-four hours (and in a language that he understands) of the facts and grounds for his arrest or detention.

(4) Any person who is arrested or detained in accordance with subsection (1) (c) of this section shall be brought before a court of law within a reasonable time, and if he is not tried within a period of -

(a) two months from the date of his arrest or detention in the case of a person who is in custody or is not entitled to bail; or

(b) three months from the date of his arrest or detention in the case of a person who has been released on bail, he shall (without prejudice to any further proceedings that may be brought against him) be released either unconditionally or upon such conditions as are reasonably necessary to ensure that he appears for trial at a later date.

(5) In subsection (4) of this section, the expression "a reasonable time" means -

(a) in the case of an arrest or detention in any place where there is a court of competent jurisdiction within a radius of forty kilometres, a period of one day; and

(b) in any other case, a period of two days or such longer period as in the circumstances may be considered by the court to be reasonable.

[size=14pt](6) Any person who is unlawfully arrested or detained shall be entitled to compensation and public apology from the appropriate authority or person; and in this subsection, "the appropriate authority or person" means an authority or person specified by law.[/size]

(7) Nothing in this section shall be construed -

(a) in relation to subsection (4) of this section, as applying in the case of a person arrested or detained upon reasonable suspicion of having committed a capital offence; and

(b) as invalidating any law by reason only that it authorises the detention for a period not exceeding three months of a member of the armed forces of the federation or a member of the Nigeria Police Force in execution of a sentence imposed by an officer of the armed forces of the Federation or of the Nigeria police force, in respect of an offence punishable by such detention of which he has been found guilty.

.............Only if we have an effective Judiciary in this land.......
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by kolado(m): 11:56pm On Jul 19, 2013
dom:
10 years at the bar.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by kolado(m): 11:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
dom:
10 years at the bar.
Really? 10years isn't child's play in the bar. I knew you must be a lawyer because the way you expounded on the issue gave me the intimation that you're one. Quite different opinion from other Nairalanders,whose comments are bereft of legal reasoning...All right bro,wishing you good luck in your profession!!

1 Like

Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by DeenRahman: 12:53am On Jul 20, 2013
I would advice you report to NSCDC.Civil defence.(it basically now a civil matter)

what would you do if police broke into your house by 1.20am to arrest you and your dad alone, because boy was be-headed last month and the body dumped in a primary sch.in your neighbourhood?

N/B:
1.they said they were petitioned and that the commissioner of police said they were not doing anything about the incident(murder case)

2.They said they were on mass arrest but 2 other tenants were not arrested in my compound apart from about 10 other innocent people living close.

3. We were taken into the cell directly without writing our statements and were kept in cell till 9am

6. My dad was under medications,sick yet he was put into d cell without clothes to cover cold and it triggered his BP which was very high.

I want to sue!
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by DeenRahman: 12:53am On Jul 20, 2013
I would advice you report to NSCDC.Civil defence.(it basically now a civil matter)

N/B:

I want to sue!
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by Switsylver1: 10:32am On Jul 20, 2013
sue them, that arrest was very illicit
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by denony(m): 12:31pm On Jul 20, 2013
where is poilcewoman, pls ur advise is needed.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by ladyverere(f): 10:23am On Jun 17, 2015
edwardjr:
pls Nairalanders

N/B:

I want to sue!
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by ladyverere(f): 10:28am On Jun 17, 2015
Yes, U can sue for voilation of fundamental human rights, unlawful arrest and detention without just cause. And no, U don't have to wait for years to get ur verdict. Just get a very competent law firm to help U. U can ask for N30m as damages and deprivation of ur fundamental/constitutional rights. I have done the same for several clients and I have not yet lost any of these cases by God's grace. Sorry I saw ur post so late.
Re: Unlawfully Arrested & Detained By Nigerian Police by George22016(m): 4:51am On Sep 22, 2016
edwardjr:
pls Nairalanders

N/B:

I want to sue!

sorry did you finally get to sue them and how did it go?kindly quote back thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

This 4-Year-Old Boy, Odunayo Adeyemi Is Missing (PHOTO) / From 2k Buy Original Men Clothing And Accessories At Low Price POD / What’s Special About The Age 18?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.