Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,178 members, 7,818,562 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles (20421 Views)

Fani-kayode Writes Open Letter To Buhari On The War Against Boko Haram / NIGERIA: A Nation Of Fools / My Take On Stella Oduah's Fake MBA Degree - Femi Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jul 20, 2013
politicush: May God give u a problem dat wud make you know him.... U jst 1 of those humans forming to b philosophers... Go av a proper luk @ epistemology, dnt act based on da surface...

Your god should give me problems? Ha ha in your dreams ! All your god can do is create problems,he cannot even heal an amputee.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by bennychuks: 2:22pm On Jul 20, 2013
Ifeness or whatever you call yourself I warned u to keep your mouth shut or u incure the anger of God of christians. I know u will try to make some insults to this wirter. I assure u that ur woes has started. For u to have the got to insult my God,the God of heaven and earth u shall begin to have sleepless night so that u should know that God of christians is the God of heaven and earth.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by patpeypey: 2:23pm On Jul 20, 2013
http:///m3lxh2f <<Pls sign the petition and stop these paedophiles #ChildNotBride.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by Wsdm: 2:27pm On Jul 20, 2013
andyanders:

so, you can allow your 6 yr old child or 9 yr old child to marry? That your religious practice sucks because ONLY a demonic person that will sleep with a 6 or 9 yr old child and see nothing wrong with that.
Only God will judge you people because all powers belongs to him. If cannot be touched by the cries of an infant 6yr old, then you are a replica of demon and if your religion accepts molesting an infant child of 6 to 9 rys, then I now know what you religion is for. I rest my case.
I may not subscribe to it, but it doesn't abrogate the practice.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 20, 2013
bennychuks: Ifeness or whatever you call yourself I warned u to keep your mouth shut or u incure the anger of God of christians. I know u will try to make some insults to this wirter. I assure u that ur woes has started. For u to have the got to insult my God,the God of heaven and earth u shall begin to have sleepless night so that u should know that God of christians is the God of heaven and earth.

Wrath of god wrath of god! That is what we hear all the time. Cant you be wise enough to know that it doesn't work and it has never worked. I would be scared if you point a gun to my head, not trying to scare me with Father Christmas smiley
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by nijanigga: 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2013
jelel6: It's obvious that most of the people who posted here are christians, going by their level of reasoning! Let me clarify something here, the supposed 'underage' marriage law is Not thesame as the islamic viewpoint. Though the Qur'an is silent as to the age for marriage, But the prophet is reported to have said that once a child reaches puberty, he or she is allowed to marry.BUT THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS MUST BE FULFILLED;
1. The approval of the parent must be meet.
2. The girl in question must approve of the marriage. .
Now tell me, where does it say that you MUST allow your daughter to marry at a tender age. When you know that she is not mentally, emotional, physically ready to make such decisions. Dont forget the prophet said 'PUBERTY' not whatever the senate lawmakers suggests. What this means is that spiritually we dont consider it to be a sin if you allow or marry after attaining puberty.
If you more concern with the moral implication, am happy to clarify also:
the only argument i can recognise here as Genuine is the medical consequences which may arise if a girl marries at a tender age. For that, Allah has said in the quran that he we not place on us a burden which we can not bear.the general agreement in shariah is that when a practice becomes a danger to ones health or life, as proven by a medical doctor, them that practice should be avoided.
Any honest person, with reason,
who is not blinded by sentiment and prejudice, will conclude that the senate did not totally evaluate the situation, its trend and the dangers which may arise If the girl is too young. They failed to carryout their duty as guardians which is to analyse the situation and determine an age which will be totally free relatively from girl to girl from any medical complications. Hence, Neither prophet muhammed nor the religion "Islam" should be blamed.
Peace!
You're either being disingenuous or you're not a true or proper Muslim. If Gov Yerima who introduced sharia law does not see anything wrong in marrying a 13 year old girl imported from Egypt,which kind of muslim are you then,by quoting the above from your feign mind?
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by Sasuke86(m): 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2013
What is Dame Patience Jonathan's view on this matter?
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by TruthTella(m): 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2013
Please o, nobody should listen to that Rafidi or whatever he calls himself, Muhammed married Aisha at age 6 and started sleeping with her at age 9
Muslims are trying to tell lies about what their prophet did because they are ashamed and they know pedophilia is wrong.
Information from Islamic books show that Muhammed married a nine year old girl.
Narrated Aisha: The Prophet engaged me when I was a girl of six (years). We went to Medina and stayed at the home of Bani-al-Harith bin Khazraj
Sahih Bukhari 5:58:234

A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) married me when I was six years old, and I was admitted to his house when I was nine years old.
Sahih Muslim 8:3310

Narrated Aisha: The Prophet engaged me when I was a girl of six (years). We went to Medina and stayed at the home of Bani-al-Harith bin Khazraj
Sahih Bukhari 5:58:234

A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) married me when I was six years old, and I was admitted to his house when I was nine years old.
Sahih Muslim 8:3310

MUSLIMS SHOULD STOP TRYING TO COVER IT UP, JUST ADMIT THAT YOUR RELIGION IS FAULTY
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by andyanders: 2:34pm On Jul 20, 2013
Wsdm:
Every aspect of Islamic practice must be preserve no matter how ill it sound to others. Underage marriages are only optional just like polygamy. Who ever do not practice it is not call to account. But you can't stop others from practicing it because you don't subscribe to it.

so, you can allow your 6 yr old child or 9 yr old child to marry? That your religious practice sucks because ONLY a demonic person that will sleep with a 6 or 9 yr old child and see nothing wrong with that.
Only God will judge you people because all powers belongs to him. If you cannot be touched by the cries of an infant 6yr old, then you are a replica of demon and if your religion accepts molesting an infant child of 6 to 9 yrs, then I now know what your religion is for. I rest my case.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report)
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by mesmer: 2:44pm On Jul 20, 2013
Don Demu: This guy is just hating cos he sure knows how tight a 9yr old will be down there and his fake religious belief wont allow him have a taste.
all of una wey neva see mad man b4, na him b dis o{your likes are to be caged 4ever}

3 Likes

Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by huseinhad(m): 2:58pm On Jul 20, 2013
pls lets ask mr ffk how old he was when he 1st hav sex or ask his wife at what age was she deflowered? pls b honest
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by tarryT(m): 3:09pm On Jul 20, 2013
disgraceful....

Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by kraftykc(m): 3:11pm On Jul 20, 2013
donchris999: Is your empty mad proffesor cultist who married and divorced 3 wives not seeing this. Has he suddenly lost his voice because it is tinubu's religion and not Gej's religion. Why would the empty mad proffesor talk when he sees matured women as domestic appendages and sex symbol not to talk of the girl child. The mad proffessor will soon be a regular visitor to yerima's house to give him a pat at the back for putting women were they belong. It is high time we divide this country and stop this madness, let the mad and corrupt people form their own country with the terrorist and paedophile people. Nigeria is a joke with mad people parading themselves as leaders. This madness must stop!

Try to fvck a shut up hole! Is WS the moral compass of Nigeria? Did you not condemn him when he spome earlier, why then do you want to hear him, so you can keep your putrid malice going? Go and rot in a shallow grave you infantile speck of volatile phlegm!

@Op, FFK is wrong, we did not JUST become a perverted nation, remember we left Yerima in the senate for so long even after he dabbled in slavery. How we are held ransome to just one pathetic lowlife shows just what we are willing to compromise as a people. Our very own children for chrissake!
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 20, 2013
selling the goods of sand you will definitely collect stone as a currency- it must not be accepted as this will only leads to the raping of our girl child/ infant who will not be able to fight for themselves, all that will be said is that she is my fiance and we are planning to marry. let us not accept this nefarious idiosyncrasy of our so called leader who are idiocy, animality in their thinking.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by shoody: 3:13pm On Jul 20, 2013
If the Muslims did not protest against gay marriage as promoted by the Vatican, pope refusal to allow priests get married. Why the hullabaloo about the rights of a Muslim to marry a lady of marriageable age? There is no where 6 year old was ever mentioned as bandied about and where were the men of God in the Senate
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by kraftykc(m): 3:14pm On Jul 20, 2013
nijanigga:
You're either being disingenuous or you're not a true or proper Muslim. If Gov Yerima who introduced sharia law does not see anything wrong in marrying a 13 year old girl imported from Egypt,which kind of muslim are you then,by quoting the above from your feign mind?

Why can't you just see the problem stems from Yerima himself? Abi have you not heard about pastors sleeping around in the church, does it make it a Christian tenet because they do it?
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by kraftykc(m): 3:17pm On Jul 20, 2013
shoody: If the Muslims did not protest against gay marriage as promoted by the Vatican, pope refusal to allow priests get married. Why the hullabaloo about the rights of a Muslim to marry a lady of marriageable age? There is no where 6 year old was ever mentioned as bandied about and where were the men of God in the Senate

Well...you take the prize for utter ridiculousness. Enjoy your leave of absence.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by aikuda(m): 3:26pm On Jul 20, 2013
I am ashamed! Can these people do anything right?
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by bennieman: 3:28pm On Jul 20, 2013
The bestial nature of these paedophiles have made them to throw caution to the wind. It is lugubrious that a set of seemingly exposed elites will affiliate themselves with such mundanity. I am utterly disappointed in them (not the first time)
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by Aigbehis(m): 3:32pm On Jul 20, 2013
Don Demu: This guy is just hating cos he sure knows how tight a 9yr old will be down there and his fake religious belief wont allow him have a taste.
May your tongue run into ur stomach. I can see what your desires are.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by jelel6: 3:33pm On Jul 20, 2013
nijanigga:
You! In your own intelligence and from my expositions. Answer this question; what do you think is wrong in Gov yarimas marriage to a 13 year old.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by LagosShia: 3:37pm On Jul 20, 2013

Notes: (AISHA WAS NOT 9 YEARS OLD OR A CHILD WHEN THE PROPHET MARRIED HER)
[8] The popular version of ‘Ãisha’s youth age has been exploited by the anti-Islamic groups to attack the Prophet “for marrying a child”. The fact of the matter is that Lady ‘Ãisha was not a child when she was married in 2 AH to the Prophet. At-Tabari, the famous Muslim historian, writes that Abu Bakr’s first two wives and their children were all born in the pre-Islamic era. (Ta’rīkh at-Tabari, vol. 2 [Beirut: al-A‘lami, n.d.] p. 616.) Based on this, even if she was born a year before the commencement of Islam, ‘Ãisha would be 15 or 16 years old at the time of her marriage to the Prophet – an age in which marriage is common in most cultures. Ibn Kathīr, in his al-Bidãyah wa ’n-Nihãyah (vol. 8, p. 381) states that Asmã’ bint Abu Bakr, the sister of ‘Ãisha, was ten years older than ‘Ãisha. He also reports that Asmã’ died in the year 73 AH at the age of 100. Based on this calculation, ‘Ãisha was 18 or 19 years old at the time of her marriage.

https://www.nairaland.com/846958/tell-me-why-mohammed-married#9975134

LagosShia: [b]first muslims do not support "underage" marriage as the title of the thread suggest. we have to first understand who is "underage" to conclude that muslims are supporting "underage" marriage or not.according to Nigerian law,the age of consent for girls in Nigeria is 13 year old.if you look at many muslim countries,the age is above that as different factors are also considered.

there are factors which determine if a girl is mature enough to get married.it is not what the parents want,as Islam forbids marriage in which the girl does not have a say about the man she is getting married to and is expected to live the rest of her life with.forcing girls into marriage is forbidden in islam and amounts to oppression,which is a sin.

the physical and mental conditions of a girl is to be taken into consideration before marriage,and also the time and environment matter.for example in about a century ago,the age of consent in some parts of the United States was 10 year old.the question arises as to who or what determines if a girl is mature enough to enter marriage.in Islam,when a girl reaches the age of puberty and she is physically grown enough,she can become a woman or perform intimacy within a legal framework (i.e. marriage),as "boy friends" are not allowed for muslim girls.now the question arises if EVERY girl that sees her period can get married.of course not! there is the mental maturity of girls and the time and environment she is living in that also determine if girls can get married once they are physically mature.in the past,a girl that is physically mature can get married at age 12 for instance.but now when it takes 12 years to finish high school,can a girl of 12 get married? by the time she is done with high school she would be oldest at 16.these are things to take into consideration,in addition to the girl's and parents' consent. otherwise the word "underage" is subjective and prejudiced.even in the west as I cited the USA, there was no yardstick to determine what was "underage".they reduced and increased it as they wanted to,and still do.we also know according to a report found in the Catholic encyclopedia that Mary (as),the virgin mother of Jesus (as),is said to have been age 12 when she conceived,and at that time she was betrothed to Joseph,who was a man of 90 year old.time,environment,consent,alongside maturity (physical and mental),all have to play a role to determine the age suitable for a girl to get married.
https://www.nairaland.com/1364942/dokubo-underage-marriage-right-muslims/1#16897331
[/b]
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by LagosShia: 3:38pm On Jul 20, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/846958/tell-me-why-mohammed-married#9975159:
LagosShia: TURNING THE TABLES ON THE IGNORANT CHRISTIAN MISSIONARIES:

HOW OLD WAS MARY WHEN SHE CONCEIVED MIRACULOUSLY?

Mary was 12 or 13 years old! so says the Catholic Encyclopaedia and the Oxford Dictionary Bible.

source: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15464b.htm

furthermore,Mary (at a tender age) was engaged to Joseph who was at that time 90 years old!!!!

Regarding the Marriage of Mary to Joseph, Catholic Encyclopaedia(http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08504a.htm),says:

"When forty years of age, Joseph married a woman called Melcha or Escha by some, Salome by others; they lived forty-nine years together and had six children, two daughters and four sons, the youngest of whom was James (the Less, "the Lord's brother"wink. A year after his wife's death, as the priests announced through Judea that they wished to find in the tribe of Juda a respectable man to espouse Mary, then twelve to fourteen years of age, Joseph, who was at the time ninety years old,[/b]went up to Jerusalem among the candidates; a miracle manifested the choice God had made of Joseph, and two years later the Annunciation took place."

Note: That article on Catholic Encyclopaedia obtains its information from early Christian writing .

[size=14pt][b]WAS AISHA REALLY 9 YEAR OLD WHEN PROPHET MUHAMMAD (sa) MARRIED HER? PLEASE WATCH BELOW:
[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXCvnposB1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o6sjyuoSUc&NR=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWsDhOqpkY
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by LagosShia: 3:44pm On Jul 20, 2013
nijanigga:

why don't you use common sense instead of your blind Christian ignorance and hatred for anything Muslim and Islam?

Ask yourselves why did Senator Yerima not marry his 13 year girl in Egypt,but instead brought her to Nigeria? Egypt is a predominantly Muslim country where the age of consent for girls is 18 year old.Nigeria was at age 13 for girls,and now Nigerian Senators trying to use religion as a cover for their selfish desires are giving Muslims a publicity burden and giving islamophobes the chance to whine about how "evil" Islam is.Senator Yerima should have married his bride in Egypt instead of Nigeria if what he is practicing is what Muslims believe in.there is no Muslim country presently that have set the age of consent for girls at 9.

please people should put prejudices and hatred aside and reason.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by amakenny: 3:45pm On Jul 20, 2013
Wsdm:
Every aspect of Islamic practice must be preserve no matter how ill it sound to others. Underage marriages are only optional just like polygamy. Who ever do not practice it is not call to account. But you can't stop others from practicing it because you don't subscribe to it.

In marrying and bedding an under-aged girl, a man is damaging the hip bones, pelvis, uterus, delicate body and moral senses of an under-aged girl who had no choice but to succumb.

But in polygamy a matured woman elects willingly to become the second or third.. wife of a man.

So how did you dare to compare the two phenomenon of marrying/bedding an under-aged girl to polygamy?

Note: having carnal knowledge of an under-aged girl is mere wickedness to female hood and it borders on criminality.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by amakenny: 4:10pm On Jul 20, 2013
Buc: Islamic republic of Nigeria and not the federal Republic of Nigeria. If we practise "true federalism", state houses of assembly would be the ones making the decision on this issue, that way those state that reject such practices can be safe heavens for victims and jail for anybody that would not let them be after they move into areas that see them as underage.

They may continue to ignore this fact you raised as well as hide the comments made regarding it just for the sake of crude oil:

Fact is that if the Yerimas opt to table a motion to have Nigeria renamed Islamic Republic of Nigeria, the Yerimas may even obtain enough votes in parliament to make it become law. But some of us do not know this. The military established that order through skewed distribution of states between the north and south of Nigeria. With 3 senators from every state, the core north is overwhelmingly favoured with states and legislators.

Undue large number of states created in the far north with the undue large number of political representatives accruing from those states ensure that the Yerimas have the day at any time in Nigeria's political process.

The Yerimas may never allow Fiscal federalism returned to Nigeria so soon;

so creating new states to balance the distribution of states and political representation in the NASS is the cheaper option for now. The excesses of the Yerimas have to be checkmated, else we are yet to hear the last of them in their unrestrained religious pursuits.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by bokohalal(m): 4:21pm On Jul 20, 2013
The President still has to sign it for it to become law.
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by francisbiz: 4:45pm On Jul 20, 2013
omenka:

And what has you people's jesus on earth done or said about this reprehensible assault on womanhood?
HAVE EVER COME ACROSS THE TERM"VERB SUBJECT AGREEMENT" OR "CONCORD"?
arabic SLAVE like you!
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by muredo(m): 4:45pm On Jul 20, 2013
Chanchit: Huhuhuhhhuhuhuuhuhuhuh. Laughing in arabic. So Mr (SAW) sef strike 9yrs old pikin...? No wonder. Its now I knw that conscience is the atlas of religion. How would I defy a 9yrs old and still go and pray with the hope that God would hear my prayers.
I TIRED O,WONDER SHALL NEVER END O
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by muredo(m): 4:51pm On Jul 20, 2013
Don Demu: ALLAHU AKBAR grin
on what?
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by Tonniey(m): 5:01pm On Jul 20, 2013
Nnanna224: FFK desperately playing on the Nigerian psyche to gain political capital
. So he shldnt talk anymore? U must b a mugu
Re: Femi Fani-kayode: A Nation Of Perverts And paedophiles by LagosShia: 5:33pm On Jul 20, 2013
M.B.O Owolowo: Child marriage: In the name of…?

By M.B.O Owolowo on July 19, 2013

Dailypost

The passage of the loathsome ‘Child Marriage’ law, following the amendment of Section 29(4) (b) of the 1999 Constitution, has been rightly criticised by the general public, I believe it should have been named appropriately as what it is, the “paedophilic law”.

Many cynics consider this bill an open invitation to the world’s randiest paedophiles and sex tourists, that we are open for lascivious business.

I know majority of legislators have hoodwinked the populace on many issues, including the tacit siphoning of our commonwealth, but I seriously wonder if they deliberated thoroughly on the wider implications of such actions. I must state I am gladdened by Senator Babafemi Ojudu’s revelation of the senate’s voting pattern, so all hope isn’t lost.

This ‘Child Marriage’ law is motivated by nothing more than the perversion of man, and the contumacious excesses of particular lawmakers who sponsor and support such lewdness. When such absurdities are initiated, there are always champions who lead such queasy causes, one of such protagonists is the latest “Spiritual consultant” to the President, Senator Sani Ahmed Yerima, who gained notoriety for his marriage to a young Egyptian girl. Though maligned for his actions, some wondered how it’s anyone’s business, after all the parents the Egyptian girl fully approved of it.

Agreed, what some of our lawmakers and public servants do in private is their business, but the enactment of such a law is another matter entirely.

I wouldn’t even delve into the controversial introduction of “Sharia” by Yerima and others- which was nothing more than political fanfare across many Northern states.

However, of important note was the chopping off a man’s hand for allegedly stealing during Yerima’s tenure as Governor, interestingly, the former EFCC boss, Nuhu Ribadu, accused Yerima of “direct stealing” of State funds as Governor of Zamfara- so why the selective chopping off of hands?

Evidently, we can’t all share the same views in any society, and respecting opposing views is encouraged, however I believe Child Rights should supersede all the divergent views in any polity, crossing all geographical enclaves.

I concede there are many people, who not only support such views as Yerima but also practice it, though such practices occur across the country, it is prevalent in Northern Nigeria- but it would be wrong to insinuate everyone from the North is in support of Child Marriage.

[b] On a personal note, of all the rhetoric in support of this bizarre practice, there’s nothing I find more repugnant than using the religion of Islam as justification.

Historically, Islam is often misrepresented and perceived through bias Orientalist pejorative- an orchestrated mechanism devised primarily to demonize Prophet Mohammed and Islam.

These Orientalists and those who reason as such, often mention the age of Aisha, the wife of the Prophet Mohammed, to promote an agenda meant to ridicule the entire faith.

Please permit me to digress and address my Muslim brethren without going into too much detail.

The notion that Aisha was 6 at betrothal or 9 at consummation can’t be substantiated, as the veracity of that story has been debunked with historical events that contradict such a possibility.

Evidences such as when she was born, period Aisha’s parents accepted Islam, her previous betrothal to someone else (Jubair), the time Khadija (first wife of Prophet) died, age of Fatima (Prophet Mohammed’s daughter) a contemporary of Aisha, age of Aisha’s sister, Asma. Other evidences include, Aisha’s involvement in some expeditions, battle of Uhud especially, her scholarly contributions, time of her death and other indisputable facts, have nullified this age ’6′ and ’9′ fable.

Some scholars, through the rigorous study of such evidences, stated Aisha may have been at least 19 years of age during her consummation.[/b]

It is important to state, there’s a difference between betrothal and consummation. A child, female especially, can be betrothed from the day she is born, which is still practised in many parts of the world, but, consummation is the real deal and the major concern, because this involves sexual intercourse.

There are cultural variations across the world with the ages ranging between 16 and 20 as marriageable age, however, age of sexual consent is another issue.

For instance, some Child Marriage practices, sometimes motivated by the need to cement political or financial ties, were previously acceptable in Western countries, but aren’t exactly commonplace presently. In the United Kingdom for example, we are aware girls under the age of 15 are sexually active and are delivering babies regularly, but the law states 18 as minimum age for marriage and 16 with parental consent, though in Scotland it is 16. The same applies to most African countries and even Muslim dominated countries.

These are facts, those who think it’s their “religious” duty or obligation to have child brides, may want to reconsider.

I am of the opinion this practice has more to do with culture than religion- an aberration all enlightened Muslim’s must reject intellectually.

The Quran should be the basis and its superiority to the Hadith, which are narratives, must be emphasized. There are verses in the Quran highlighting maturity and consent before marriage. So its wrongs to cherry-pick aspects of religious texts, like Hadith, and usually out of context, to suit personal whims, however perverted.

The same admonitory caution goes to mischief-makers trying to disparage Islam and cast aspersions on Prophet Mohammed. These are the hypocrites who only become “righteous” anytime it’s time to criticise Islam or it’s another “Open Season” on Muslim’s. These are people who in no way adhere to the dictates of their professed faith, but are the most opprobrious in such anti-Islamic matters.

I would like to give a big Kudos to some non- Muslims, Christians especially, for their objectivity: their opposition to tainting Islam on this matter, but concentrating on the real issue of Child Rights.

Many studies have revealed poverty is a key factor in almost all child marriage cases and indirectly related to Obstetric Fistula. Economic hardship leads many families to sell or lease their male and female children to sexual predators and child molesters across the globe.

I would implore the same energies that have rejected this Child Marriage bill be spent rejecting the factors perpetuating poverty in our milieu.

I gathered the Nigerian Senate passed the bill on religious rights grounds, if true; they may want to rescind such a decision- as it can’t be explicitly justified in the name of religion. I don’t know which “Islamic law” Senator Yerima is referring to in his twisted defence of a despicable act, as I am not aware of any. I hope those who hide under the guise of religion are aware Islam permits the evolvement of socio-cultural related laws- who knows, we may soon get one for the castration of men who only lust after prepubescent girls.

Religious rights mustn’t be abused under any guise, the fundamental human rights of others mustn’t be infringed upon in the name of religion. Let us protect the rights of our children. God Bless Nigeria!

m.b.o.owolowo@gmail.com

-M.B.O 2013©

http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/07/19/m-b-o-owolowo-child-marriage-in-the-name-of/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Enugu APC Rejects Jim Nwobodo, Nnaji’s Defection Bids / Boko Haram: Red Alert Over Plot To Attack Abuja / Mohammed Abubakar Sold N150m Armoured SUV To Himself For N7.8m – Bauchi Panel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.