Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:10 AM

Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps (14740 Views)

CCT: Senate Declares War On Presidency / Jonathan Setting Traps For Buhari With Last-minute Appointments, Sack- Ikanya / The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Euroclydon(m): 3:18pm On Jul 30, 2013
The Senate Committee on the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), at the weekend declared the newly expanded Umaru Musa Yar’ Adua (Airport Road) and Kubwa Expressways as death traps built with obsolete engineering designs.

Chairman of the committee, Senator Smart Adeyemi, who made the observation during an oversight tour of the two roads at the weekend, said that the designs made in 1981 were outdated even as he berated the construction companies handling the projects for failing to advise the federal government on the need to update the designs despite the huge cost of the road.

During their interactions with the committee, the project manager of Julius Berger Plc, his counterpart for the CGC Construction, Mr. Zhao Jian Rong and the chief resident engineer for the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), Mr. Felix Nwankwo, confirmed that the designs for the roads were actually made in 1981 and were obsolete.

They however told the Senate committee that the cost of correcting the designs was “too high,” adding that one of the consequences of the outdated design is the high rate of accidents on the roads.

Senator Adeyemi stated that though the committee was pleased with the pace of work by Julius Berger, it was alarmed to discover open drainages in the middle of the roads; a practice he noted is out of use in all nations’ capitals around the world.

“The committee observed with dismay that the three sites visited displayed common features of road construction with obsolete and outdated engineering designs which are no longer popular and out of practice for over a decade in most parts of the world. It’s all about an open drainage in the middle of the road,” he lamented.

http://leadership.ng/news/300713/senate-declares-airport-kubwa-roads-death-traps
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Euroclydon(m): 5:43pm On Jul 30, 2013
Instead of building rails for support, they dug a mighty gutter that can swallow a whole vehicle... There is almost no day without a ''vehicle collection'' by the gutter.

4 Likes

Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by kingsmecca(m): 6:22pm On Jul 30, 2013
Welldone!
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by picaro(f): 6:26pm On Jul 30, 2013
Is that the only road in Nigeria that terrible? Hundreds of worse unmotorable roads all round the country, collecting lives on a daily basis, but they see only that within FCT close to dem. Why not declare a state of emergency on the conditions of Nigerian roads, which will be well deserved?
Shio! Yeye people dem.

9 Likes

Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by dejt4u(m): 6:30pm On Jul 30, 2013
picaro: Is that the only road in Nigeria, that terrible? Hundreds of unmotorable roads all round the country, but they see only that within FCT that is their business. Shio! Yeye people dem
i wonder o. d guy neva bin to my hometown... grin
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by 80million1: 6:32pm On Jul 30, 2013
okay
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by stonemind(f): 6:35pm On Jul 30, 2013
which 1 concern me??
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Dubby6(m): 6:35pm On Jul 30, 2013
Its notin
Mehn am tired of naija I wan port 2 Afghanistan
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by stagger: 6:35pm On Jul 30, 2013
This is total BS.

There are very few roads in Nigeria that can match the quality of work and standard that those two roads present. I drive them every blessed day in Abuja and there are no issues.

The only problem has to do with the ATTITUDE OF DRIVERS who have utilized the extremely smooth surfaces of these two roads to turn them into race tracks. How for instance can a driver be speeding at 140km per hour on a road with high vehicular traffic and not expect something bad to happen?

How many of our drivers even know how to interpret the road signs that the DRTS has graciously placed on all roads in the FCT? I bet Senator Smart Adeyemi himself will not be able to identify half of them.

He should be more concerned with the dualization of the road that leads from Abuja to his own state, and the one that criss-crosses his senatorial district on the way to the South-West.

One is tired of all these sensational politicians!

18 Likes

Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by supervic: 6:36pm On Jul 30, 2013
noted
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 30, 2013
JUST D 2 ROADS SO MANY DEATH TRAPS…...
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Stylaay(m): 6:39pm On Jul 30, 2013
I dey tell u ma senator when person shak en beer dey come bac for night, na so so fall we go dey fall inside gutter. Na so d gutter swallow me and my car one night o. See as all my JD clear sharp sharp
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by vallycan: 6:39pm On Jul 30, 2013
Terrific... Outdated afta aw many yrs... Wat wud u expect wen unexperienced company, workers an low income are pump in a major project lik construction an development...... Nigerian govt prefer spendin much money on campaign an gals/concubines instead of development aw wud we grow den to a developing country.... Same on them
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Stylaay(m): 6:42pm On Jul 30, 2013
I dey tell u ma senator when person shak en beer dey come bac for night na so so fall we go dey fall inside gutter. Na so d gutter swallow me and my car one night o. See as all ma JD clear sharp sharp
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by alphaconde(m): 6:43pm On Jul 30, 2013
As goodluck mother in law done die for road now all of dem don wise.
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by picaro(f): 6:44pm On Jul 30, 2013
gggggiff: There is a website that is now giving all nigeria youth freebrowsing kindly visit N
E-D.C-O-M
There is a website that is now giving all nigeria youth freebrowsing kindly visit N-A-I-J-A-B-L-E-N-D-E-D.C-O-M

Can someone please find a lasting fatal solution to this guy? Someone should please put him out of his mental misery. Seriously

2 Likes

Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by druid06(m): 6:48pm On Jul 30, 2013
all right

1 Like

Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 30, 2013
And how many death traps do we have in Nigeria?

They officially declared that one a death trap because it affects them, but what they don't know is that even on the smoothest of roads, God can judge them anytime!!!

Evil men!

2 Likes

Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by gregg2: 6:49pm On Jul 30, 2013
Many Nigerian cities are salivating for such ten lanes expressways and our Abuja senators are complaining because of open gutters on the side at some points because it affects them. Although I live in Lagos, I have personally driven severally on those ten lanes expressways and can confirm they remain the best roads in this country. Abuja is not the only city in Nigeria to swallow all Nigeria's wealth. Money should also trickle down to other states for development. I agree the road should be of modern standard but if this is a ploy by Senate Committee on FCT to attract additional budgetary allocation to those roads Nigerians should rise up and say NO! Each time I travel to Abuja I ask myself if that city actually exist in this same Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Shakara123(m): 6:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
So the senate committee is only for roads in the fct. Yes they have to make sure the roads are constructed well for their safety. For other death traps in the country where the average Nigerian risks his or her life daily on and sometimes spends long hours commuting, they won't set up any committee.

Secondly, how come they are just detecting this now at project closure phase? Waste of tax payers money. In advanced countries, someone has to take responsibilty for this but I am sure this news will be history in less than 48 hours. Another contract award will roll soon for that same road.

Nigeria. It is well.
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by TayoT: 6:57pm On Jul 30, 2013
Because one senator had an accident on that road, they are shouting. Yesterday alone was 4 different accidents due to rain on kubwa express. Yeye people
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Goddex: 7:11pm On Jul 30, 2013
gregg2: Many Nigerian cities are salivating for such ten lanes expressways and our Abuja senators are complaining because of open gutters on the side at some points because it affects them. Although I live in Lagos, I have personally driven severally on those ten lanes expressways and can confirm they remain the best roads in this country. Abuja is not the only city in Nigeria to swallow all Nigeria's wealth. Money should also trickle down to other states for development. I agree the road road should be of modern standard but if this is a ploy by Senate Committee on FCT to attract additional budgetary allocation to those roads Nigerians should rise up and say NO! Each time I travel to Abuja I ask myself if that city actually exist in this same Nigeria.

Smart Adeyemi should be lobbying such roads to his native Kogi state. Is Abuja the only city in Nigeria?
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by sleekpro(m): 7:12pm On Jul 30, 2013
Why did'nt these fools say this befor the construction, they want to shear another money for correction. Senate! OlEeeeh!
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 30, 2013
As far as i am concern airport road is one of the best road in abuja,its only risky for the pedestrians that cross without using the bridge meant for them.

1 Like

Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 30, 2013
If e no goodu for your car

quit!

so now the road is bad because they ply it occasionally ba?
No wahala....

who go die, go die.

afterall, people still dey die for better road.
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by AjaraEwuro: 7:23pm On Jul 30, 2013
Where were they when the road was what it was. Bull crap. Nonsense talk.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unpaid Salaries: Bayelsa Workers Turn To Begging For Survival - Punch / "Advanced PDP": Makarfi Faction To Register A New Party / Controversy Trails ₦2.5 Million Raised By Sunday Igboho’s Supporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.