Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,595 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps (14748 Views)

CCT: Senate Declares War On Presidency / Jonathan Setting Traps For Buhari With Last-minute Appointments, Sack- Ikanya / The Booby Traps Before Buhari – Olisa Agbakoba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by fsb(m): 7:24pm On Jul 30, 2013
stagger: This is total BS.

There are very few roads in Nigeria that can match the quality of work and standard that those two roads present. I drive them every blessed day in Abuja and there are no issues.

The only problem has to do with the ATTITUDE OF DRIVERS who have utilized the extremely smooth surfaces of these two roads to turn them into race tracks. How for instance can a driver be speeding at 140km per hour on a road with high vehicular traffic and not expect something bad to happen?

How many of our drivers even know how to interpret the road signs that the DRTS has graciously placed on all roads in the FCT? I bet Senator Smart Adeyemi himself will not be able to identify half of them.

He should be more concerned with the dualization of the road that leads from Abuja to his own state, and the one that criss-crosses his senatorial district on the way to the South-West.

One is tired of all these sensational politicians!

My brother thank you for your post. When accidents happen on bad roads they say the roads are terrible. When they happen on perfectly smooth, 10 lane roads they say it is due to obsolete design.

I lived in Abuja until recently and accidents will continue to happen on those roads esp ONEX road because:
1. A lot of money-just-come-buy-'new'-tokunbo with ZERO driving experience start dragging with experienced hands at high speeds
2. Careless driving by so-called experienced drivers (I once saw a car swerve from the fast lane into the service lane and he got himself bashed luckily not by a trailer)
3. Nigerian factor: in this case the boldness to disobey driving laws with reckless abandon because we are a national of lawlessness.
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by tantita(m): 7:33pm On Jul 30, 2013
onye guy: ANYWAY FIRST TO COMMENT. AM DANCING AZONTO WITH BOTTLE OF KINGFISHER STRONG shocked shocked shocked

JUST PASSING WAITING FOR NEXT PAGE cool cool cool
...every minute a sucker is indeed born..head's up bro..I mean literally heads up!
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by eaglechild: 7:34pm On Jul 30, 2013
fsb:

My brother thank you for your post. When accidents happen on bad roads they say the roads are terrible. When they happen on perfectly smooth, 10 lane roads they say it is due to obsolete design.

I lived in Abuja until recently and accidents will continue to happen on those roads esp ONEX road because:
1. A lot of money-just-come-buy-'new'-tokunbo with ZERO driving experience start dragging with experienced hands at high speeds
2. Careless driving by so-called experienced drivers (I once saw a car swerve from the fast lane into the service lane and he got himself bashed luckily not by a trailer)
3. Nigerian factor: in this case the boldness to disobey driving laws with reckless abandon because we are a national of lawlessness.
lol!
So true, u see a lot of people with a 14 year old 99' camry trying to outdo a tear rubber range rover sport. Easy way to get yourself killed. Know your car's limit and keep to it.
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:40pm On Jul 30, 2013
Are they realising this today or because of PEJ mother's death?

There are lot of deadly road in Nigeria. I wonder why they are only seeing the one in Abuja and not other road to hell in some parts of the country.

Isn't it because they are flying jet? Then I think nemesis will catch them on the air someday
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Ore000: 7:44pm On Jul 30, 2013
everytime we hear this someone do smthing
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Funkeogunjobi(f): 7:49pm On Jul 30, 2013
Smart no go see Obajana- Kabba Road.

Sorry this post has been hidden.
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jul 30, 2013
I see
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by onyeguy: 7:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
Bia oga Nairaland, why you people have chose to be hiding all my comment here on Nairaland why. undecided you people should better stop that otherwise i will close my account oh rubbish , make una hide this one again make i see undecided
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Aedesmuskeeto: 8:01pm On Jul 30, 2013
tantita: ...every minute a sucker is indeed born..head's up bro..I mean literally heads up
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by seunlayi(m): 8:01pm On Jul 30, 2013
Euroclydon: The Senate Committee on the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), at the weekend declared the newly expanded Umaru Musa Yar’ Adua (Airport Road) and Kubwa Expressways as death traps built with obsolete engineering designs.

Chairman of the committee, Senator Smart Adeyemi, who made the observation during an oversight tour of the two roads at the weekend, said that the designs made in 1981 were outdated even as he berated the construction companies handling the projects for failing to advise the federal government on the need to update the designs despite the huge cost of the road.

During their interactions with the committee, the project manager of Julius Berger Plc, his counterpart for the CGC Construction, Mr. Zhao Jian Rong and the chief resident engineer for the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), Mr. Felix Nwankwo, confirmed that the designs for the roads were actually made in 1981 and were obsolete.

They however told the Senate committee that the cost of correcting the designs was “too high,” adding that one of the consequences of the outdated design is the high rate of accidents on the roads.

Senator Adeyemi stated that though the committee was pleased with the pace of work by Julius Berger, it was alarmed to discover open drainages in the middle of the roads; a practice he noted is out of use in all nations’ capitals around the world.

“The committee observed with dismay that the three sites visited displayed common features of road construction with obsolete and outdated engineering designs which are no longer popular and out of practice for over a decade in most parts of the world. It’s all about an open drainage in the middle of the road,” he lamented.

http://leadership.ng/news/300713/senate-declares-airport-kubwa-roads-death-traps
, maybe one of them narrowly escape death on that road
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Toktee(m): 8:02pm On Jul 30, 2013
picaro: Is that the only road in Nigeria that terrible? Hundreds of worse unmotorable roads all round the country, collecting lives on a daily basis, but they see only that within FCT close to dem. Why not declare a state of emergency on the conditions of Nigerian roads, which will be well deserved?
Shio! Yeye people dem.
My brother,it is terrible,travelling from minna-bida,to mokwa is like road to hell,iam very sure in the next two years that road will be abadon cos it is no longer road but death traps with pits all all not potholes yet nobdy is saying anything........i hate democracy
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Akpaife(m): 8:09pm On Jul 30, 2013
TayoT: Because one senator had an accident on that road, they are shouting. Yesterday alone was 4 different accidents due to rain on kubwa express. Yeye people
I hate d way u guys talk 2 our leaders pls learn how 2 respect our leaders if them fail 2 talk u guys will complain
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Akpaife(m): 8:25pm On Jul 30, 2013
picaro: Is that the only road in Nigeria that terrible? Hundreds of worse unmotorable roads all round the country, collecting lives on a daily basis, but they see only that within FCT close to dem. Why not declare a state of emergency on the conditions of Nigerian roads, which will be well deserved?
Shio! Yeye people dem.
U guys should stop abusing n insulting our leaders if them fail 2 talk u must rubbish them now them r saying sometin dat will benefit me n u, u are rubbishing them
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by picaro(f): 8:29pm On Jul 30, 2013
Akpa ife:
I hate d way u guys talk 2 our leaders pls learn how 2 respect our leaders if them fail 2 talk u guys will complain
Negga shut the funk up! If u too chicken to speak the truth, go to bed. We should learn how to talk, where do they teach it? Sheesh!
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by badaru1(m): 8:34pm On Jul 30, 2013
Let any of the senators comes out to tell us the conditions of road to his/her village. They are only complaining about the road they ply when ever they are going to Abuja
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by baby124: 8:35pm On Jul 30, 2013
The road must have almost killed them, a family member or a lover. grin grin grin. That is the only time they wake up from their comatose state. grin grin grin
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by nydraps(m): 8:42pm On Jul 30, 2013
Dubby6: Its notin
Mehn am tired of naija I wan port 2 Afghanistan
sorry i̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ Ɣ☺Your case ♍Ɣ guy...
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by HAH: 8:43pm On Jul 30, 2013
That is absolute buulllshit, may be they didn't get enough egunje, if not those road are the best express roads in Nigeria.
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by nydraps(m): 8:44pm On Jul 30, 2013
Akpa ife:
your name i̶̲̥̅̊s̶̲̥̅̊ α definition ☀̤̣̈̇f your mumu-ness....akpa amu

1 Like

Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by kawkab: 8:47pm On Jul 30, 2013
This is total BS.

There are very few roads in Nigeria that can match the quality of work and standard that those two roads present. I drive them every blessed day in Abuja and there are no issues.

The only problem has to do with the ATTITUDE OF DRIVERS who have utilized the extremely smooth surfaces of these two roads to turn them into race tracks. How for instance can a driver be speeding at 140km per hour on a road with high vehicular traffic and not expect something bad to happen?

How many of our drivers even know how to interpret the road signs that the DRTS has graciously placed on all roads in the FCT? I bet Senator Smart Adeyemi himself will not be able to identify half of them.

He should be more concerned with the dualization of the road that leads from Abuja to his own state, and the one that criss-crosses his senatorial district on the way to the South-West.

One is tired of all these sensational politicians!

Thank you my brother or your post. I live in Kubwa and commute daily to my office in Wuse on these road. It is necessary that posters and nairalanders realise the following;

1. there are few roads in Nigeria that can match the quality and standard of the Kubwa and Airport Road in Abuja.
2. A greater percentage of the accidents on these road are man made.
3. The vehicular and human traffic on these road are relatively high due to towns spawning the sides of the road. E.g. along the Kubwa
Express way we have, Kagini, Kubwa, Dutse, Galadima, Gwarimpa, Gishiri, Katampeetc. as such we have people crossing the roads a lot of times. Along the airport-lugbe road, we have such towns like Galadimawa, Pykasa, chika, Lugbe, Gosa, Sauka etc

4. Accidents happen on these roads for the following reasons;
- Over speeding. People driving at 140km/h on such roads.
- inexperience - a lot of folks in abuja would just buy a vehicle even without knowing how to drive. When you see them in the next
one week, they would have removed the learner sign and claim that they are now good at driving.
- Flagrant disregard for defensive driving rules such as, safe following distance, overtaking appropriately etc.
- Alcohol and substance abuse - the accident rate on these road are usually very high on weekends. It is rare to drive through
these two roads on a Saturday morning without seeing accident-ed or tumbled vehicles probably from drunk drivers coming from
parties the previous night.

If you live in Abuja you would know that the accidents on these roads have nothing to do with bad design but purely human error.

1 Like

Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Horo(m): 9:02pm On Jul 30, 2013
Is quite unfortunate that is now they are realising that when work is almost 90% completed nawa
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by horlabiyi(m): 9:02pm On Jul 30, 2013
Outta thousand bad road in 9ja na only that one bad and death trap ? Plenty bad road dey hin country yet hin no get eye to see em. Mtcheew
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 30, 2013
smothly: As far as i am concern airport road is one of the best road in abuja,its only risky for the pedestrians that cross without using the bridge meant for them.

Exactly!
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Memyselfu2009(m): 9:17pm On Jul 30, 2013
Tell that man say him be fool how many road they bad for Nigeria hisssss
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 30, 2013
EVEN THE CHINESE MR. ZHAO
THOUGHT THE ROAD WAS PRETTY FCKED UP
THEN THE ROAD MUST BE FCKED UP
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by BCELLS(m): 9:46pm On Jul 30, 2013
Akpa ife:
Don't compel me to say you are insa/ne,where are the leaders?
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by PosCaricature: 9:50pm On Jul 30, 2013
Now they want to pay attention to the road just because two of the senators had an accident on that road last week. Na wah for our leaders o!
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by lertee(f): 9:51pm On Jul 30, 2013
kawkab: This is total BS.

Thank you my brother or your post. I live in Kubwa and commute daily to my office in Wuse on these road. It is necessary that posters and nairalanders realise the following;

1. there are few roads in Nigeria that can match the quality and standard of the Kubwa and Airport Road in Abuja.
2. A greater percentage of the accidents on these road are man made.
3. The vehicular and human traffic on these road are relatively high due to towns spawning the sides of the road. E.g. along the Kubwa
Express way we have, Kagini, Kubwa, Dutse, Galadima, Gwarimpa, Gishiri, Katampeetc. as such we have people crossing the roads a lot of times. Along the airport-lugbe road, we have such towns like Galadimawa, Pykasa, chika, Lugbe, Gosa, Sauka etc

4. Accidents happen on these roads for the following reasons;
- Over speeding. People driving at 140km/h on such roads.
- inexperience - a lot of folks in abuja would just buy a vehicle even without knowing how to drive. When you see them in the next
one week, they would have removed the learner sign and claim that they are now good at driving.
- Flagrant disregard for defensive driving rules such as, safe following distance, overtaking appropriately etc.
- Alcohol and substance abuse - the accident rate on these road are usually very high on weekends. It is rare to drive through
these two roads on a Saturday morning without seeing accident-ed or tumbled vehicles probably from drunk drivers coming from
parties the previous night.

If you live in Abuja you would know that the accidents on these roads have nothing to do with bad design but purely human error.

You ve said it all,purely human error...anyone that doesn't know these roads would liken the road to benin-ore road filled with portholes.

1 Like

Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jul 30, 2013
Shio! Yeye people dem.

you never even see the road. if a road under Julius berger construction company is a death trap, what about others?
Re: Senate Declares Airport, Kubwa Roads Death Traps by mantote: 10:46pm On Jul 30, 2013
God will punish senator smart Adeyemi for this statement.The roads in his home town(Iyara)happen to be the worst in my local goverment in kogi state cos we come from same local goverment,Ijumu LGA.Then the roads in his senatorial district,Kogi west happen to be the worst in Kogi state and one of the worst roads in Nigeria.Kabba -isanlu-egbe federal road that links ilorin is 80 percent out of use as a result of it's poor state.Cars going to ilorin prefer to pass through ekiti state which is longer than passing through kabba-egbe road.Obajana-kabba is another road that is competing for top 3 worst road in Nigeria.All this roads I mentioned are all in kogi west senatoria district where senator smart represents.The only thing they he can do is use Mopol to intimidate voters and also settle traditional leaders just like he bought a car for the king in my village.Am sure the Abuja road he meant was a road linking to one of his corruptly acquired land in Abuja.Thank God we shall all die someday,for if there was no death.....umnnn....poor man don suffer

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Keke Drivers Protest In Umuahia Against High Extortion (Photos) / Erring Igbo Elders Should Be Stoned – Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Council Backs Kanu / Hakeem Odumosu: Pulling Out Ceremony Of Former Lagos Police Commissioner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.