Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,608 members, 7,823,651 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour (16841 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / 9 Richest Kings In The History Of Nigeria & How They Enjoy Royal Splendour(pics) / The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 2:16am On Jul 31, 2013
At court with the kings of Africa: Nigeria's regional monarchs still live in royal splendour (although they lost any power 50 years ago)

- Nigeria's many traditional kings were formally stripped of their constitutional powers in 1963
- But they continue to command great respect among their communities and wield considerable influence
- Celebrated photographer George Osodi toured the country extensively to collect a unique set of portraits

With their brightly coloured robes, ornate thrones and legions of flunkeys attending every whim, they seem every bit the archetypal African kings.

Nigeria's traditional Monarchs may have been stripped of their powers half a century ago, but they appear to have lost little of their regal pomp and splendour as this fascinating series of portraits shows.

Photographer George Osodi toured the west African country extensively for a series of photographs entitled 'Kings of Nigeria' which is due to be exhibited at London's Bermondsey Project in October.

Posing on his ornate throne, Alhaji Dr Ado Abdullahi Bayero is the current 'Emir of Kano', a position he has held since 1963. A former ambassador to Senegal he is renowned for his abundant wealth, which has been amassed by investing in the stock market and agriculture

Robes of office: HRM Agbogidi Obi James Ikechukwu Anyasi II, 'The Obi of the Idumuje Unor kingdom', was until his death earlier this year, the longest reigning African Monarch. He was crowned king on October 9, 1946 at the age of 22. His robe, depicting a young Queen Elizabeth, gives a clear nod to the period of British colonial rule

Out for a ride: The Emir of Kano Alhaji Dr Ado Abdullahi Bayero is attended by aides as he sits on the back of his vintage Rolls Royce on his way to the Central Mosque in Kano

As a well-known and celebrated Nigerian photographer, Mr Osodi was granted rare access to the palaces and throne rooms of these hereditary rulers who now serve as living repositories of Nigeria's enormous cultural heritage.

He told Al-Jazeera: 'There are frequent clashes among different ethnic groups… Lots of people have lost trust in their identity. I felt it was important that we see this diverse culture as a point of unity instead of seeing it as something that should divide us as a nation.

'The easiest way I could approach this was to look at the monarchy structure in the country because they are closer to the people than the governors.'

While their ancestors ruled over vast tracts of Africa, following the abolition of the monarchy in 1963 the regional monarchs were stripped of all their constitutional powers.

But far from fading into obscurity, they mostly remain popular leaders and are held in great regard by their hundreds of thousands of loyal subjects.

And despite lacking any formal powers they continue to wield considerable influence and serve as unofficial intermediaries between their subjects and the Nigerian government.

His Majesty, Wilson Ojakovo Oghoghovwe Oharisi III was made the 'Ovie of Ughelli' in 1980 and has ruled over the great kingdoms of Ughelli and Urhoboland for more than 33 years
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 2:17am On Jul 31, 2013

Alayeluwa Oba Okunade Sijuwade, the current 'Ooni of Ife', relaxes in his throne room. Born in 1930, he has enjoyed a colourful life first working for his father's business, then with the Nigerian Tribune newspaper, before attending Northampton College in the United Kingdom where he studied business management. In 1963 he became Sales Director of the state-owned National Motor company in the Nigerian capital Lagos. He later formed a company to distribute Soviet-built vehicles and equipment in Nigeria

His Royal Majesty Oba Oyetunji Jimoh Olanipekun Larooyell, the 'Ataoja of Osogbo' in southwest Nigeria. He worked as a teacher for many years, firstly at a baptist day school. He was crowned king in 1976 and rules over some 300,000 subjects. He has studied management in London and is a qualified chartered accountant

Born to rule: Sitting on his golden throne, Benjamin Ikenchuku Keagborekuzi I is the current 'Dein of Agbor'. Just two years and four months after his birth in July 1977 he was crowned king following the the unexpected death of his father. It meant he was the youngest king anywhere in the world. He is currently the Chancellor of the University of Ilorin, one of Nigeria's most prestigious universities

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 2:20am On Jul 31, 2013

Omo N'Oba N'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa I [top]was crowned 'Oba of Benin Kingdom' in the Edo state of Nigeria in 1979. Before that he studied at Cambridge university before being appointed to many top government posts. Alhaji Abdulmumini Kabir Usman [bottom] is the current and 50th 'Emir of Kasina'. He was coronated in 2008 five days after the death of his father, Emir Muhammad Kabir Usman. He is remembered as a peacemaker during the Nigerian civil war and has a passion for Polo

His Majesty, Deinmowuru Donokoromo III, The 'Pere of Isaba', poses with his royal sceptre outside his palace. He has ruled over the Kingdom of Isaba in the oil rich South-West area of Delta state since 1983

- Nigerian Monarchs will be exhibited at The Bermondsey Project, London SE1, between October 10 and October 27.

Source
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 31, 2013
Nice collection
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Jeezyy(m): 8:04am On Jul 31, 2013
why is d obi of onitsha not mentioned there?
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 31, 2013
Where is Oba of Lagos?
Olubadan of Ibadan?
Alake of Egba land?
I tot the article said the photographer toured the country and had all kingdoms, at least most respected.
But all I'm seeing are pictures stolen from google image search.

Anyway, nice try: 2/10

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by ba7man(m): 8:26am On Jul 31, 2013
Front page material.
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 8:30am On Jul 31, 2013
@solidbroda,

You actually expect a British newspaper to run an article with embedded images of 100 Nigerian kings?

George Osodi: Kings of Nigeria

Having captured the oil devastation, he now photographs Nigeria's traditional monarchs, to offer a positive way forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1xkLTKDaLw
Filmmaker: Katharina von Schroeder

George Osodi's photo project, Oil Rich Niger Delta, and the resulting book of stunning pictures, Delta Nigeria – The Rape of Paradise brought attention to the environmental problems in the area and made Osodi one of Nigeria's most sought-after photographers.

"I think it's my responsibility as the man with the camera to find a way to represent this [situation], so that it becomes appealing to whoever sees it," explains Osodi. "At first sight you're like, 'what a beauty', but then behind it is a huge Armageddon. It's like hell on earth."

This film follows Osodi as he continues to document the devastating effects of oil spills in the wetland region and as he tackles his latest project, about Nigeria's traditional Monarchs.

"[There are] frequent clashes among different ethnic groups," says Osodi. "Lots of people have lost trust in their identity. I felt it was important that we see this diverse culture as a point of unity instead of seeing it as something that should divide us as a nation.

"The easiest way I could approach this was to look at the monarchy structure in the country because they are closer to the people than the governors."

Filmmaker's view

By Katharina von Schroeder

Shortly after George and I met for the first time he told me, "I am always on the move. Can you keep up with me?"

"Sure," I replied.

Constantly being on the move is the only possible way to make a film about George's work. For his numerous projects he has to travel the roads of Nigeria in all directions and hardly ever spends more than two days in one location, determined to capture a unique moment or tell a relevant story.

As soon as my cameraman and I jumped into George's car, he drove around for hours to show us his beloved country, Nigeria. Through the car window we saw the thick mangrove forests, serene rivers and the most beautiful scenery passing us by.

After some hundred kilometres the mood changed as we entered Delta State. There were checkpoints with heavily armed soldiers and policemen stopping the car every few kilometres.

The oil-producing state is the "hen that lays the golden egg" as George puts it. He explained that in the past, the exports from the region had mainly been palm oil and other agricultural produce, whereas now crude oil and petrol account for most of Nigeria‘s national income.

A steady flow of oil company workers‘ cars, protected by military convoys, passed us. All the while, George was on high alert to ensure that we were not forced to stop at the roadside by gangs always on the lookout for an opportunity.

The dangers of the region are tangible but as soon as we entered the palaces of the monarchs, for George's latest photography project, we discovered a completly different world. The architecture, the colourful fabrics and majestic rituals give us an idea of Nigeria's enormous cultural heritage.

It is very diffcult to access the kings' palaces but as George is a well-known and respected photographer, we were well recieved. Unfortunately during our first audience with a monarch I made a little mistake. The correct protocol for greeting a king, if you are a woman, is to kneel while the men take a bow, laying chest down on the floor. But as we entered the room of the Obi of Idumuje Unor, I instinctively stretched out my arm to shake his hand. The monarch did acknowledge my offer of a handshake and I heard soft chuckles from his entourage. I was later told that nobody is allowed to touch the king except those who are specifically delegated to assist him. I stepped aside and let George take over to greet the king in a proper manner before we started the photoshoot.

Visiting the Nigerian monarchs felt like moving through a fairy tale. Everywhere we went we recieved a warm welcome, which in most cases, was accompanied by the precious but bitter kola nut and some drinks.

Over the course of our journey we drove more than 3000km, witnessed the community petitions at a king's court, learned about a vodoo shrine and saw the most impressive craftmanship.

For his project, George will portray 100 monarchs, referring to the amalgamation of the northern and southern part of Nigeria, a 100 years ago. His project aims to be a symbol of peace and unity despite the challenges the nation is still facing, like the bombings by Boko Haram in the northern region.

I am excited to see George's upcoming exhibitions and the pictures of the monarchs hanging on the walls, as he continues to dream of a peaceful and prosperous Nigeria.

[img]http://images-cdn.newscred.com/3aa3f1e1b4252a7f5e1d001c1552481f?width=666&height=405&action=padding&color=000000[/img]
George Osodi: Kings of Nigeria
Nigerian photojournalist George Osodi is renowned for his hauntingly beautiful pictures of the oil devastation in the Niger Delta.

Source
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by timpaker(m): 8:50am On Jul 31, 2013

Wait a minute......is dis not one of Nollywood's movie scene?

BTW:I'm also a prince
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Maxymilliano(m): 8:59am On Jul 31, 2013
Stories of Nigeria's regional monarchs living in royal splendour can not be completed without the inclusion of the Olugbo of Ugbo kingdom, Oba Frederick Akinruntan. The dude reeks of opulence.

It is on record that he has a custom built 2012 Rolls Royce similar to that of Queen Elizabeth II ...
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by coogar: 9:00am On Jul 31, 2013
how many split units in ooni's palace? - i am amazed at the quality education of these monarchs. kudos to them, may their reigns be long....
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 31, 2013
Got to give it up to George Osodi for this painstaking effort...

Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by homesteady(m): 9:10am On Jul 31, 2013
OP you did not talk about the kind of jazz this men have oh!! Especially that Emir of kano - When boko haram attacked his motorcade, only GOD know's how that man survived it!! Some people said he disappeared and I believe!
Also, the man said all those who are planing to him will die before him, and he'll lead the prayer during their burial!! And 2 don die already!! Fear that man oh!!
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 31, 2013

Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nightshift(m): 9:44am On Jul 31, 2013
Descendants of African slave merchants, shamelessly paying homage to their age-long trading partner ( the British monarchy) ; the joys of their heart clearly mocking the forgetfulness of African minds.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by dridowu: 9:55am On Jul 31, 2013
Nice thread but where is Oba of Lasgidi ?
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by bebe2(f): 10:11am On Jul 31, 2013
Beautiful traditional!

Are all men born equal??
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 31, 2013
Maxymilliano: Stories of Nigeria's regional monarchs living in royal splendour can not be completed without the inclusion of the Olugbo of Ugbo kingdom, Oba Frederick Akinruntan. The dude reeks of opulence.

It is on record that he has a custom built 2012 Rolls Royce similar to that of Queen Elizabeth II ...

The guy is a pretender joor. He 'bought' his throne, and ever since has been outdoing himself to 'belong'.
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by towieboy: 10:18am On Jul 31, 2013
Very Nice, the Emir of Kano takes it for me. As Nigerians, I wish we could do more to promote these institutions and our very rich culture.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 31, 2013
coogar: how many split units in ooni's palace? - i am amazed at the quality education of these monarchs. kudos to them, may their reigns be long....
Lol. I also wondered the same. Make cold no kill the old man.

Anyways, the Ooni has this arrogant swagger and nonchallant demeanor that I sort of admire. Heavy man.
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Aromas: 10:22am On Jul 31, 2013
Wow!!! Am proud of Africa king's HRH, HRM but wait a minute o where is OHINOYI OF EBIRA LAND? If I may ask

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by DisGuy: 10:23am On Jul 31, 2013
Nice work by George

What do they actually do, these our 'kings'-

But they continue to command great respect among their communities and wield considerable influence
some of them are not even known to their subject- they dont exactly generate income for their immediate environment, just organise parties and wait for gifts from government
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Walexz02(m): 10:23am On Jul 31, 2013
If Alaafin of oyo is not there, then forget it!
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 31, 2013
Nightshift: Descendants of African slave merchants, shamelessly paying homage to their age-long trading partner ( the British monarchy) ; the joys of their heart clearly mocking the forgetfulness of African minds.

Fam, not all African monarchs sold slaves and the few ones that did, live by the coast. I doubt any of the ones on here were involved in slavery.

Also, do you honestly believe they actually sold the millions of slaves taken into the new world? If you believe that, then you will probably believe anything. Most of the slaves were kidnapped by the slave merchants. There were princes and princesses amongst those slaves.

Topic:

I absolutely love these pics. Where's the Ijebu monarch? We had one of the biggest kingdoms in the naija of yore. Heck, we're in the record books for having one of the wonders of the world looool.

Also, I wanna see Nupe, Igala, Opobo and Ijekiri monarchs? Monarchs that reigned supreme when west africa had many kingdoms.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 31, 2013
bebe2: Beautiful traditional!

Are all men born equal??
Yes, all men are born equal; But All Men Are Not and Can Never Be Equal.......
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Donmichaelz(m): 10:28am On Jul 31, 2013
All dey do is ESC(Eat Sleep Chop) and wear big attaires as to functions,these guys are of no use to d society all dey do now is help a politician win an election by convincing or forcing d people to vote for him\her....nice thread ,F***uCk. Trditional rulers dey neither create jobs nor empower d youth

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 31, 2013
I don't like that photo of Oba Of Benin. Please can someone help us with a more beautiful one, Please cheesy
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Tyche(m): 10:36am On Jul 31, 2013
Obi of Onitsha

Emir of Zazzau

Alaafin of Oyo

They need to be there

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by datChelseaBoy: 10:37am On Jul 31, 2013
If they have the money let them spend it.
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by Nightshift(m): 10:50am On Jul 31, 2013
@Shymexx, so you think that all those powerful African kings were not involved in selling their own people to white men? It's a historical fact that they were the real consumers of white man's whisky and schnapps, who like Oliver Twist , were asking and getting more by sending their army or gangs to raid and capture more people from villages for sale.
You definitely do not understand, until you hear from those current monarchs about the exploits of their forefathers; or study history.
Our mind for history is shallow, so our people prefer to avoid the bitter truth and move on. You are equally following a familiar step - the forgetful African mind!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by DisGuy: 10:52am On Jul 31, 2013
even the king ughelli-- has a picture of Jonathan- very daft idea imo

african splendour get as e be sha, see how 'local' some of these palaces look in and out
Re: Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour by PhysicsQED(m): 11:00am On Jul 31, 2013
Most of the comments on that dailymail site are derogatory. I don't know why Mr. Osodi thought it made sense to have a mediocre British tabloid that all sorts of unintelligent people comment on be the first place to exhibit his photography.

Even the first line of the dailymail article itself is insulting these kings (their use of the word 'flunkeys' to refer to their attendants).

Oh well, maybe he was naive.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ebira Has Elements Of Igbo In It Or Am I Wrong / What Is The Definition Of Your Native Names / Ijebu:A Muse On A Multi Dimensional Yoruba Specie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.