Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,731 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:03 PM

34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years (16566 Views)

Lawmakers Who Sponsored The Highest Number Of Bills In The 7th NASS / Senate Passes 46 Bills In 10mins / Photos: Nigerians Protest Over ‘crazy’ PHCN Bills In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by miqos02(m): 11:24am On Jul 31, 2013
Halfway into the tenure of the Senate, 34 senators have not sponsored any bill since coming to office, according to official records released by the Senate.

The Senate's Mid-Term Assessment Report shows that of the total 109 senators, 74 have sponsored at least a bill during the period starting June 2011 while the rest initiated none. Senate President David Mark sponsored no bill but, by convention, he is not expected to table any bill in his capacity as presiding officer of the Senate.

A Daily Trust analysis of the assessment report issued last month reveals that senators who did not sponsor any bill constitute about one-third of the upper chamber.

This is coming amidst public debate on the emoluments of Nigerian federal lawmakers, who a recent report by the Economist ranked top in a global chart of Economist ranked top in a global chart of legislators' salaries.

Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC) records in possession of Daily Trust show that each senator is entitled to N35 million in yearly salaries and allowances.

Based on this alone, the 34 senators would have collectively received more than N1 billion in wages, apart from other hefty allowances received in quarterly instalments.

No bills

Senators who did not sponsor any bill in the two years under review, according to the assessment report, include Jibrilla Mohammed Bindowo (PDP, Adamawa), Chris Ngige (ACN, Anambra), Babayo Garba Gamawa (PDP, Bauchi), George Akume (ACN, Benue), Maina Ma'aji Lawan (ANPP, Borno), Mohammed Ali Ndume (PDP, Borno), Ahmad Zannah (PDP, Borno), Nwanko Christopher (PDP, Delta), Oguji Sunny (PDP, Ebonyi) and Babafemi Ojudu (ACN, Ekiti).

Other senators with no bills are Mohammed Danjuma Goje (PDP, Gombe), Abdulazeez Usman (PDP, Jigawa), Ahmed Makarfi (PDP, Kaduna), Mohammed Sani Saleh (CPC, Kaduna), Kabiru Gaya (ANPP, Kano), Sadiq Yar'Adua (CPC, Katsina), Mohammed Magoro (PDP, Kebbi), Suleiman Adoke (PDP, Nasarawa), Solomon Ewuga (CPC, Nasarawa), Obadara Olugbenga Onoalapa (ACN, Ogun), Kunlere Boluwaji (LP, Ondo), Robert Boroffice (LP, Ondo), Olusola Adeyeye (ACN, Osun) and Hosea Agboola Ayoola (PDP, Oyo).

Also on the list are Magnus Abe (PDP, Rivers), Wilson Asinobi Ake (PDP, Rivers), Mohammed Maccido (PDP, Sokoto), Abubakar Umar Turare (PDP, Taraba), Aisha Jummai Alhassan (PDP, Taraba), Alkali Jajere (ANPP, Yobe), Bukar Abba Ibrahim (ANPP, Yobe), Ahmed Sani Yarima (ANPP, Zamfara), Sahabi Alhaji Ya'u (PDP, Zamfara) and Kabiru Garba Marafa (ANPP, Zamfara).

http://allafrica.com/stories/201307310468.html?aa_source=slideout
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by honeric01(m): 11:32am On Jul 31, 2013
See people wasting our money.
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by asha80(m): 11:39am On Jul 31, 2013
lol at chris ngige.

5 Likes

Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by saintkash(m): 12:42pm On Jul 31, 2013
yet there got all salaries and other benefits of been sanators.... thunder fire them angry[color=#990000][/color]
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 31, 2013
Why am i not surprised undecided
They were probably too busy..looting
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by Burger01(m): 12:44pm On Jul 31, 2013
Why can't we just 'de-senate' them Better still pay them less.

angry
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by W3xy1(m): 12:46pm On Jul 31, 2013
yeye people
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by Horlazuncanmi(m): 12:46pm On Jul 31, 2013
This is waste of resources,they should all be recalled
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by rozayx5(m): 12:47pm On Jul 31, 2013
sitting allowance cool cool

1 Like

Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by oxygen47: 12:48pm On Jul 31, 2013
Is it by force? undecided
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by sunnyt1(m): 12:48pm On Jul 31, 2013
So what have they been doing in the house? This same people will complain of over-staffing in the civil service, so they should be sent back to their various regions to do someone they are better soothed for.
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by Scarpon(m): 12:48pm On Jul 31, 2013
I need to join politics asap
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by oloriooko(m): 12:49pm On Jul 31, 2013
how will they sponsor bills when they never had anything in mind to offer the people even before coming to the senate.
all on their mind is to amass as much as they can and stay put there.
shame on them
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by BrightCar: 12:49pm On Jul 31, 2013
THEY SHOULD BE SERVED REDUNDANCY LETTER. THEY ARE JUST SPECTATORS, EVEN CHELSEA FANS BETTER PASS THEM.
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by GeneralShepherd(m): 12:50pm On Jul 31, 2013
The ones that sponsored bills, of what relevance has any of the bills been to the common Nigerian...

E.g My honourable Senator Yerima.

9 Likes

Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by DonaldGenes(m): 12:50pm On Jul 31, 2013
Ahmed Makarfi (PDP, Kaduna)
so this one no dey shame
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by hayoakins(m): 12:50pm On Jul 31, 2013
As much as i support the revision of the remuneration of these glorified and legalised pen robbers, it is needful to state that being a lawmaker is not all about sponsoring bills but actively defending the interest of the electorates you are representing.

If its by bills, do not be amazed when you see a lawmaker sponsoring a bill to regulate the time we get off our beds grin

4 Likes

Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by theozobby(m): 12:51pm On Jul 31, 2013
Lazy folks
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by caesaraba(m): 12:53pm On Jul 31, 2013
Before nko? If there's no bill to be tabled by them, will you force them? There's more to being a senator than just tabling bills. You are there to represent your constituency and protect their interests. No be only bill.

Na so una talk till Yarima table him bill una come begin shout.

6 Likes

Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by slap1(m): 12:53pm On Jul 31, 2013
What they give back to the people who voted them should speak for them, not sponsoring bills that are mostly irrelevant and selfish.

Someone sponsored the gay bill, right? The bill for the creation of the Office of the First Lady was also sponsored by someone. So, sponsoring bills is not really a good barometer for measuring senatorial achievement.

3 Likes

Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by plendil: 12:54pm On Jul 31, 2013
I'm surprised at Ngige. So all his noise making translated to nothing. yeye
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by sofadj(m): 12:54pm On Jul 31, 2013
Seeing that the names spread across all major parties in the Chambe, you'd conclude that no party is actually better than the other.all our politicians apparrently know only one thing, looting. Come to think of it even those that sponsored bills, how has their bill-sponsoring bettered the life of a commont Nigerian. Where's electriciity, where's employment, food and lest I forget electricity. May weGod deliver ourselves someday.
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by pastormmadu(m): 12:55pm On Jul 31, 2013
A̲̅ηϑ almighty Ngige will always come to anambra to make mouth that he is all in all. How will he sponsor, when he is only there to be gathering money for unlimited campaign.
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by calddon(m): 12:55pm On Jul 31, 2013
u cant give what u dont have period.
abi una think say na only for football and class them get bench warmers?

1 Like

Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by olatade(m): 12:56pm On Jul 31, 2013
What do u expect frm a bunch of pple who were selected rather than elected,they aint there for u and I,but themselvesundecided
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by Dogzimalon: 12:56pm On Jul 31, 2013
enugu nko cause ive not even seen the yellow one that answers nnaji that i dont even know what he is doing there cause ive never seen him stand to debate
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by Harriosn: 12:57pm On Jul 31, 2013
What are they saying.. what language are they speaking?? french or yoruba..

DAVID MARK HELP ME WITH MY GLASSES PLS.. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by Riskymallam: 12:58pm On Jul 31, 2013
Why is everyone acting surprised?

Those guys can't sppnsor shi.t
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by quiverfull(m): 12:58pm On Jul 31, 2013
Threads like this one made me join Nairaland...just soliloquising.
And to think that many states in Nigeria still cannot pay the N18,000 minimum wage.
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by Cathydera(f): 1:00pm On Jul 31, 2013
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm o dikwa very risky.
so they have been oga lookers since.
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by ablyguy(m): 1:01pm On Jul 31, 2013
Re: 34 Senators Tabled No Bills In Two Years by Biodup: 1:01pm On Jul 31, 2013
Sen adeyeye na only noise he feel make. Haba Sen Ojodu you fall my hands for d whole 2yrs. Hearing these kind of news everyday revolution is inevitable in this country.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I’m Slow To Avoid Mistakes, Says Buhari / Senate Stands By Resolution Calling For Babachir's Sack, Agrees To Screen Magu / I Am Supporting, Not Moving Against Ajimobi -Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.