Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,189 members, 7,822,009 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- (33217 Views)

What If The Early Church Had Prayed That Saul Should Die? / The Early Church Vs The Modern Church / Bitter Truth About Blessed Virgin Mary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 7:38pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

I dont get that?
what makes you think others have a different opinion, uh?
What other explanation do you need?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 9:06pm On Aug 04, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
what makes you think others have a different opinion, uh?
What other explanation do you need?

None, i just wanted to be sure, i have a friend on this thread who has been playing hide and seek with that question.

Back to the main discussion

2 Timothy 3, 14-16
14But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned [them]; 15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The Bible should be the basis of all Christian doctrines and should be a reference point to all issues relating to a Christian life.

If Mary was with a special ministry or if we should use her name in prayers, it would be stated in the Bible. There was no teaching or parable of Christ or the Apostles where Mary (or any other saints) where asked to be used in prayers.

Instead Christ asked us to pray in His name
King James 2000 Bible (John 14:13)
And whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

The word 'whatsoever' leaves no Christian in doubt (Prayers of forgiveness, supplication etc), he said we should ask in His name, unless you believe Jesus doesn't know what He is saying, He never mentioned any other name, not Mary, not Paul, not saints but in the name of Jesus.

Pray only in Jesus Name and nothing more

8 Likes

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 9:36pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

Mark 6:3 "Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and brother of James, and Joses, and Judas, and Simon? Are not His sisters here with us?" And they took offense at Him. 4 And Jesus said to them

Who gave birth to the other brothers of Jesus?

how did you came about that definition of spouse?

A spouse is a partner in a marriage, civil union, domestic partnership or common-law marriage. (source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spouse)
Jesus was the only son of Mary, those brothers and sisters could be cousins or relations. If Jesus had blood brothers why did he entrust his mother to John the beloved at the cross? After Jesus death john took care of Mary as his mother where were Jesus brothers and sisters? Being the spouse of the Holy spirit goes to prove Mary as ever-virgin. She ''remained a virgin in giving birth to him, a virgin in carrying him, a virgin in nursing him at her breast, always a virgin'' (st Augustine, serm. 186, 1 PL 38, 999): with her whole being, she is the ''handmaid of the Lord'' (LK 1:38)

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 9:54pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

None, i just wanted to be sure, i have a friend on this thread who has been playing hide and seek with that question.

Back to the main discussion

2 Timothy 3, 14-16
14But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned [them]; 15And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All scripture [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The Bible should be the basis of all Christian doctrines and should be a reference point to all issues relating to a Christian life.

If Mary was with a special ministry or if we should use her name in prayers, it would be stated in the Bible. There was no teaching or parable of Christ or the Apostles where Mary (or any other saints) where asked to be used in prayers.

Instead Christ asked us to pray in His name
And whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

The word 'whatsoever' leaves no Christian in doubt (Prayers of forgiveness, supplication etc), he said we should ask in His name, unless you believe Jesus doesn't know what He is saying, He never mentioned any other name, not Mary, not Paul, not saints but in the name of Jesus.

Pray only in Jesus Name and nothing more

Dude, seeking Mary's intercession does not mean we pray in her name, she is the easiest channel to Christ heart, she present our prayers to Jesus and ask him to help us. All said and done our prayers through Mary are forwarded to Jesus, and Jesus listens dearly to his Mother request, this makes Mary the easiest way to Christ heart. Dude calm down and start learning from the basics of our doctrine.

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 9:57pm On Aug 04, 2013
damerry: Jesus was the only son of Mary, those brothers and sisters could be cousins or relations. If Jesus had blood brothers why did he entrust his mother to John the beloved at the cross? After Jesus death john took care of Mary as his mother where were Jesus brothers and sisters?

John 7 verses 1-5
7 And after these things Jesus was going about in Galilee. For he did not want to go about in Judea, because the Jews were seeking to kill him. 2 Now the feast of the Jews—the feast of Tabernacles—was near. 3 So his brothers said to him, “Depart from here and go to Judea, so that your disciples also can see your works that you are doing. 4 For no one does anything in secret and yet he himself desires to be publicly recognized.[a] If you are doing these things, reveal yourself to the world!” 5 (For not even his brothers believed in him.)

Mark 3: 31-33
31Then His mother and His brothers arrived, and standing outside they sent word to Him and called Him. 32A crowd was sitting around Him, and they said to Him, "Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are outside looking for You." 33Answering them, He said, "Who are My mother and My brothers?

His brothers did not believe in him and were not part of His followers at that time and hence are not expected to show up at the cruxification.

We know John the baptist was a son of Elizabeth and a second cousin to Jesus, none was started again, so why would you just assumed (even though you are not sure) that they are cousins of Jesus?, none of the 4 Gospel mentioned this theory of yours. They were called his brothers, they were in the company of Jesus mother to seek him

5 Likes

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 10:00pm On Aug 04, 2013
damerry: Dude, seeking Mary's intercession does not mean we pray in her name, she is the easiest channel to Christ heart, she present our prayers to Jesus and ask him to help us. All said and done our prayers through Mary are forwarded to Jesus, and Jesus listens dearly to his Mother request, this makes Mary the easiest way to Christ heart. Dude calm down and start learning from the basics of our doctrine.

How did you know this? was it stated in the Bible?

And whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. Cant find Mary in the bolded

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by free2ryhme: 10:04pm On Aug 04, 2013
damerry: we don't worship mary, we seek her powerful intercession got it? Our image ain't graven, infact where those images are venerated, miracles happen. Be careful not to judge the church and it's doctrines because you are judging christ. Peace

Show me one scripture in the bible that supports your claims

2 Likes

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 10:04pm On Aug 04, 2013
damerry: Jesus was the only son of Mary, those brothers and sisters could be cousins or relations. If Jesus had blood brothers why did he entrust his mother to John the beloved at the cross? After Jesus death john took care of Mary as his mother where were Jesus brothers and sisters? Being the spouse of the Holy spirit goes to prove Mary as ever-virgin. She ''remained a virgin in giving birth to him, a virgin in carrying him, a virgin in nursing him at her breast, always a virgin'' (st Augustine, serm. 186, 1 PL 38, 999): with her whole being, she is the ''handmaid of the Lord'' (LK 1:38)

Cant find St. Augustine in my bible

Handmaid means servant not spouse
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 10:17pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

How did you know this? was it stated in the Bible?

And whatsoever you shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. Cant find Mary in the bolded
like i earlier said, mary interceeds for us! We entrust our supplications and praises to her which she presents to Jesus. So our prayers get to Jesus is that not asking in his name? If it's not, in whose name do we ask for? Mary is the surest way to christ heart, a good Mothe always care for her children, when Jesus entrust mary to john he said '' *woman* behold your son'' that *woman* confirms mary as the new eve, who is now the mother of all mankind.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 10:21pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

Cant find St. Augustine in my bible

Handmaid means servant not spouse
Yea, dat part was based on early church theology @ St. Augustine, yea handmaid means servant, since she conceived of the Holy spirit, and submitted herself entirely to the working of the spirit and remained ever-virgin what will u call her?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 10:24pm On Aug 04, 2013
free2ryhme:

Show me one scripture in the bible that supports your claims
read my past posts
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 10:32pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

John 7 verses 1-5
7 And after these things Jesus was going about in Galilee. For he did not want to go about in Judea, because the Jews were seeking to kill him. 2 Now the feast of the Jews—the feast of Tabernacles—was near. 3 So his brothers said to him, “Depart from here and go to Judea, so that your disciples also can see your works that you are doing. 4 For no one does anything in secret and yet he himself desires to be publicly recognized.[a] If you are doing these things, reveal yourself to the world!” 5 (For not even his brothers believed in him.)

Mark 3: 31-33
31Then His mother and His brothers arrived, and standing outside they sent word to Him and called Him. 32A crowd was sitting around Him, and they said to Him, "Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are outside looking for You." 33Answering them, He said, "Who are My mother and My brothers?

His brothers did not believe in him and were not part of His followers at that time and hence are not expected to show up at the cruxification.

We know John the baptist was a son of Elizabeth and a second cousin to Jesus, none was started again, so why would you just assumed (even though you are not sure) that they are cousins of Jesus?, none of the 4 Gospel mentioned this theory of yours. They were called his brothers, they were in the company of Jesus mother to seek him
Take it or leave it, mary was and remained ever-virgin
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 10:40pm On Aug 04, 2013
damerry: like i earlier said, mary interceeds for us! We entrust our supplications and praises to her which she presents to Jesus. So our prayers get to Jesus is that not asking in his name? If it's not, in whose name do we ask for? Mary is the surest way to christ heart, a good Mothe always care for her children, when Jesus entrust mary to john he said '' *woman* behold your son'' that *woman* confirms mary as the new eve, who is now the mother of all mankind.

Did Christ gave her that role in the Bible?, No! Did He asked us to send Mary to Him in prayers?, No!. When Mary went to meet Him where He was teaching, did he stand to give her any special recognition?, No!, Who did Jesus called His mother and brothers? We!

Bible never commanded us to pray asking for Mary's help (or other saints). We pray to God the Father through Jesus, nothing more.

3 Likes

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 10:41pm On Aug 04, 2013
damerry: Take it or leave it, mary was and remained ever-virgin

Not Biblical

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 10:42pm On Aug 04, 2013
the most important issue here is to make sure that at the end you will be among those rewarded......now, whether you like it or not, some things are not meant for human understanding. If you think it is wrong to actually ask the BVM to intercede, then dont do it but dont judge those doing it. You know why? You dont even know if what you beleive in is actually what it is....you are just about the bible....look around you, a lot of things are changing. The same some pastors get revelations from God, that is the same way Mary visited the 3 little kids at Fatima......and that was the birth of the rosary.
Ask yyourself this question...
Do you really think God would have allowed that to happen if he had not already honoured and Chosen the BVM?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 10:45pm On Aug 04, 2013
damerry: Yea, dat part was based on early church theology @ St. Augustine, yea handmaid means servant, since she conceived of the Holy spirit, and submitted herself entirely to the working of the spirit and remained ever-virgin what will u call her?

You mean from servant, she became spouse So she became spouse to Holy Spirit and Joseph?. Then she remained a virgin (how?) Did Jesus came out through her mouth? How was the virginity sustained?

2 Likes

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 10:50pm On Aug 04, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
the most important issue here is to make sure that at the end you will be among those rewarded......now, whether you like it or not, some things are not meant for human understanding. If you think it is wrong to actually ask the BVM to intercede, then dont do it but dont judge those doing it. You know why? You dont even know if what you beleive in is actually what it is....you are just about the bible....look around you, a lot of things are changing. The same some pastors get revelations from God, that is the same way Mary visited the 3 little kids at Fatima......and that was the birth of the rosary.
Do you really think God would have allowed that to happen if he had not already honoured and Chosen the BVM?
Thank you sister, this post is just spot-on. I was wandering where my fellow catholics were, living me alone to face these people who do not believe and do not want to believe, answering their questions paves way for more questions @ a point, i felt like giving them the pope's adress and phone number, anyway i thank God for dis post.

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 10:52pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

You mean from servant, she became spouse So she became spouse to Holy Spirit and Joseph?. Then she remained a virgin (how?) Did Jesus came out through her mouth? How was the virginity sustained?
she has already being chosen long ago before the world came to be for this purpose....so Joseph was just a helper..that was his mandate and mission in life...to help bring up, provide for the son of God. Or have you forgotten that God hmself said that before you were concieved I know what you are and what you will be?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 10:53pm On Aug 04, 2013
Maria-Goretti:

I believe the Bible to be the word of God inspired and do not believe in any testimony or doctrine not rooted in the bible.

2 Likes

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 10:54pm On Aug 04, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
she has already being chosen long ago before the world came to be for this purpose....so Joseph was just a helper..that was his mandate and mission in life...to help bring up, provide for the son of God.

Which verse of the Bible is this stated?

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 10:57pm On Aug 04, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
you've said it all. Answering them paves way for more questions because they don't beleive and do not want to believe, i'm glad you came, @ a point i began to wander why have my people deserted me to face these people alone. I was getting tired, i even wanted to give them d pope's address and phone number wink.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 10:59pm On Aug 04, 2013
damerry: Thank you sister, this post is just spot-on. I was wandering where my fellow catholics were, living me alone to face these people who do not believe and do not want to believe, answering their questions paves way for more questions @ a point, i felt like giving them the pope's adress and phone number, anyway i thank God for dis post.

Haa damerry, I will be glad to have the pope's contact o, I frequent Rome and do not mind having a chat at the Vatican one of these days with the pope.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 11:02pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

It's Devine selection, nawa o. Well i'll not be suprised if you ask me which verse of the bible talks about Divine selection/destiny
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 11:03pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

you meant where it is written word to word, right?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 11:05pm On Aug 04, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
you meant where it is written word to word, right?

If possible, Yes!
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 11:07pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

Haa damerry, I will be glad to have the pope's contact o, I frequent Rome and do not mind having a chat at the Vatican one of these days with the pope.
No need, when next you find yourself in rome ask of Him, he's a free man, and don't forget to go there with an Axe, because if u're not docile enough he would have to open your head and pour in the doctrines. Peace, i'm out
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 11:08pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

If possible, Yes!
lol, now, I understand the bone of ccontention.
Ok, Jeremiah 1:5.......in your own understanding, can you explain it to me?

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 11:10pm On Aug 04, 2013
damerry: It's Devine selection, nawa o. Well i'll not be suprised if you ask me which verse of the bible talks about Divine selection/destiny

I know what destiny is all about. What I don't understand is Joseph being just a helper?, Joseph was more than that, he married mary in line with Jewish tradition and had kids with her.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 11:11pm On Aug 04, 2013
damerry: No need, when next you find yourself in rome ask of Him, he's a free man, and don't forget to go there with an Axe, because if u're not docile enough he would have to open your head and pour in the doctrines. Peace, i'm out

This got me laughing real hard
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 11:16pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

I know what destiny is all about. What I don't understand is Joseph being just a helper?, Joseph was more than that, he married mary in line with Jewish tradition and had kids with her.
he did? Are you sure?
Yes sure, physically, he has to do that because he was instructed to do that. Look, let me tell you, when God wants to do his job, he doesnt leave loose threads.
Now listen, Jesus came to this world as a human, so, what were you expecting, that his earthly parents who get married as required by their culture? Of cus they will, but that is just for the physical eye....the spiritual things still goes on. If he must come as a human, then such must happen. Use your head, man.

1 Like

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 11:19pm On Aug 04, 2013
superior1:

This got me laughing real hard
still waiting for my explanation o.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 11:19pm On Aug 04, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
lol, now, I understand the bone of ccontention.
Ok, Jeremiah 1:5.......in your own understanding, can you explain it to me?

Jeh 1:5
5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.6 Then said I, Ah, Lord God! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.

In summary,It is talking about God's calling on a life which pre-dates even when the foetus of that individual was formed in the belly, God already has a purpose for such life.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

Biblical Week Indicates The Second Coming Of Christ To Be Between 2030 - 2035 / "I Was Healed Of HIV At Father Ebube Muonso's Adoration Ministry" - Lady (Video) / Father Emmanuel Akalue Reacts To Patrick Edet’s Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.