Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,973 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- (33193 Views)

What If The Early Church Had Prayed That Saul Should Die? / The Early Church Vs The Modern Church / Bitter Truth About Blessed Virgin Mary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 2:33pm On Aug 05, 2013
Syncan:

I have searched through all you posted, and not even one version said "Only scripture is useful...

Really?, but you saw for 'some of the doctrines, teachings there?'.

Jesus said I am the way, truth and life but you said Jesus didnt say I am the only way, the only truth and the only life, abi?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 2:41pm On Aug 05, 2013
superior1:

Jumping from Gospel and looking for backup in Epistles without a line of
reference is a terrible way of interpreting the Bible. The account of
Jesus life is adequately represented in the Gospel and whatever is not
written there is not part of the scripture.

The Epistle written to Thessalonians is different from Corinthians and
so others, all making and addressing different points. They all
represented all Paul's teaching which he received from Jesus Christ. If
it is verbal instruction and not written, it is not part of the
scriptures.
Dude, you've not answered my question, All of Jesus
disciples except john the beloved were matyrd ryt? give me citations
from the bible that recorded this.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Syncan(m): 2:47pm On Aug 05, 2013
superior1:

Jumping from Gospel and looking for backup in Epistles without a line of reference is a terrible way of interpreting the Bible. The account of Jesus life is adequately represented in the Gospel and whatever is not written there is not part of the scripture.

hehehehe, it is very clear the evangelist witnessed to more, but did not write all, at various times he must have taught more than what he wrote....in words. Hold on to those as well 2Thess2:15.

superior1:
The Epistle written to Thessalonians is different from Corinthians and so others, all making and addressing different points. They all represented all Paul's teaching which he received from Jesus Christ. If it is verbal instruction and not written, it is not part of the scriptures.

Yet Paul said we should hold on to it as well, you said no.

Meanwhile: Scripture - any writing that is regarded as sacred by a religious group. (It does not end with the bible by this definition)
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 2:50pm On Aug 05, 2013
superior1:

Jumping from Gospel and looking for backup in Epistles without a line of
reference is a terrible way of interpreting the Bible. The account of
Jesus life is adequately represented in the Gospel and whatever is not
written there is not part of the scripture.

The Epistle written to Thessalonians is different from Corinthians and
so others, all making and addressing different points. They all
represented all Paul's teaching which he received from Jesus Christ. If
it is verbal instruction and not written, it is not part of the
scriptures.
Give me citations from the bible that proved the
martyrdom of Jesus Christ disciples, or would you claim that you don't
believe they were matyrd?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Syncan(m): 2:52pm On Aug 05, 2013
superior1:

Really?, but you saw for 'some of the doctrines, teachings there?'.

Jesus said I am the way, truth and life but you said Jesus didnt say I am the only way, the only truth and the only life, abi?

Same Bible told me that there are some that are not written and I should hold on to them as well 2Thess2:15. You said no, only what is written. Now you contradict the Bible.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 2:57pm On Aug 05, 2013
The fact you werent with Jesus at that time, you can never know everything that was taught.....all these things are just waste of time.
Why not quit the arguement and employ that time into seeing that all those teachings are being incorporated into your life, eh?
As far as I am concerned, there are some things God has kept away from human understanding.
For those understanding the bible superficially, I advice you actually ask the spirit to help you understand those words written in there, because without his help, everything writen there is foolishness to you...!
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 3:05pm On Aug 05, 2013
Syncan:

hehehehe, it is very clear the evangelist witnessed to more, but did not write all, at various times he must have taught more than what he wrote....in words. Hold on to those as well 2Thess2:15.
. There is no doubt he gave direct instruction to many but what we have on record is scripture

Syncan:
Yet Paul said we should hold on to it as well, you said no.

He told Thessalonians to hold to his verbal and written instructions. I said it is the written instructions that became scriptures (look at the definition of what a scripture is again)

Syncan:
Meanwhile: Scripture - any writing that is regarded as sacred by a religious group. (It does not end with the bible by this definition)

The bolded is your additions
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 3:08pm On Aug 05, 2013
damerry: Give me citations from the bible that proved the
martyrdom of Jesus Christ disciples, or would you claim that you don't
believe they were matyrd?

Their death were not written in the scriptures
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 3:15pm On Aug 05, 2013
Syncan:

Same Bible told me that there are some that are not written and I should hold on to them as well 2Thess2:15. You said no, only what is written. Now you contradict the Bible.

No, you are only trying to make a point for your arguments. Paul's instructions are from God's inspiration and those he wrote are scriptures.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 3:15pm On Aug 05, 2013
superior1:

Their death were not written in the scriptures
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by damerry(m): 3:18pm On Aug 05, 2013
[quote
author=superior1]

Their death were not written in the scriptures[/quote]hehehe so you
don't believe they were martyrd for the sake of the Gospel, well you're
perfecting yourself as the doubting Thomas of this Age. Tell me, Do u
expect the bible to record every bit of Christ ministry, the acts and
epistles? Haven't you heard of the lost gospels?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 3:18pm On Aug 05, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
The fact you werent with Jesus at that time, you can never know everything that was taught.....all these things are just waste of time.
Why not quit the arguement and employ that time into seeing that all those teachings are being incorporated into your life, eh?
As far as I am concerned, there are some things God has kept away from human understanding
For those understanding the bible superficially, I advice you actually ask the spirit to help you understand those words written in there, because without his help, everything writen there is foolishness to you...!

Well, i cant say i have problem with the bolded
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Syncan(m): 4:26pm On Aug 05, 2013
superior1: . There is no doubt he gave direct instruction to many but what we have on record is scripture

So we truncate as waste the rest He taught, right?

superior1:
He told Thessalonians to hold to his verbal and written instructions. I said it is the written instructions that became scriptures (look at the definition of what a scripture is again)

And what happens to the verbal?

superior1:
The bolded is your additions

That's why it is in bracket, an explanation.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Syncan(m): 4:32pm On Aug 05, 2013
superior1:

No, you are only trying to make a point for your arguments. Paul's instructions are from God's inspiration and those he wrote are scriptures.

You are getting confused now, Paul's "instructions are from Gods Inspiration and those he wrote are scripture". So what do you propose about those God's Inspiration he taught by word? Trash them?

Lets not forget that you are yet to tell me why you believe the bible as solely Inspired and not the other books I mentioned earlier.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 4:36pm On Aug 05, 2013
Syncan:

So we truncate as waste the rest He taught, right?

And what happens to the verbal?

That's why it is in bracket, an explanation.

Popes do teach Catholics right?, not all teaching are dogma, right? But all Dogma are documented and binding on Catholics, right?.

Scriptures has to be documented to be referred so.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Syncan(m): 4:52pm On Aug 05, 2013
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Syncan(m): 4:54pm On Aug 05, 2013
superior1:

Popes do teach Catholics right?, not all teaching are dogma, right? But all Dogma are documented and binding on Catholics, right?.

Scriptures has to be documented to be referred so.

Dear Friend, Every single teaching of Christ is a dogma. What the church does today is to affirm any teaching that the Holy Spirit has revealed as truth beyond doubt.

(Jn16:12-13) I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
"Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come".

The apostles went about preaching what they've heard or seen, Jesus never wrote down a thing for them, yet all he taught is dogma.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Syncan(m): 4:57pm On Aug 05, 2013
'
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 5:55pm On Aug 05, 2013
Syncan:

Dear Friend, Every single teaching of Christ is a dogma. What the church does today is to affirm any teaching that the Holy Spirit has revealed as truth beyond doubt.

(Jn16:12-13) I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
"Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come".

The apostles went about preaching what they've heard or seen, Jesus never wrote down a thing for them, yet all he taught is dogma.

True, Christ wrote down nothing and what we have as scriptures today are what the Apostles are inspired to write (plus the old testament). The ministry of Holy Spirit is to direct us in these truths.

Galatians 1:8
New International Version
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse!

So we know what ever teaching we get must be consistent to what is already revealed and in the scriptures. Paul placed a curse on any gospel which do not confirm with the scriptures.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 6:05pm On Aug 05, 2013
The words 'bible' and 'scripture' are not synonyms and should not be used interchangeably!!

St Paul in Timothy was never reffering to the bible as the bible did not exist then.The bible is just a subset of scriptures,it is a ternm used to refer to the set of the scriptures canonised by the catholic church in the late 4th and early 5th centuries.

Paul never used a bible throughout his life time.He and other bible writers quoted and referred us to books outside the bible.

Sola bible is not a scriptural teaching but rather a teaching of martin luther.

All books in the bible are scriptures but not all scriprures are in the bible
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 6:39pm On Aug 05, 2013
chukwudi44: The words 'bible' and 'scripture' are not synonyms and should not be used interchangeably!!

St Paul in Timothy was never reffering to the bible as the bible did not exist then.The bible is just a subset of scriptures,it is a ternm used to refer to the set of the scriptures canonised by the catholic church in the late 4th and early 5th centuries.
To Christians, Bible (containing both old and new) is the scriptures. There were several writings circulating among the Christians, the ones accepted as the inspired words of God is what is contained in the Bible. The Church at Rome aren't the only Church who adopted this both also the orthodox and asia manor Church. So, when we refer to the scriptures as Christians, we are talking not of Torah but the Bible.

chukwudi44:
Paul never used a bible throughout his life time.He and other bible writers quoted and referred us to books outside the bible.

True, but the scriptures he was referring to Timothy includes his epistles and accounts of Jesus journey on earth. In several places, he asked that his epistles be read to the general assembly and in a particular place, he asked the epistle be sent to another Church.

chukwudi44: Sola bible is not a scriptural teaching but rather a teaching of martin luther.

All books in the bible are scriptures but not all scriprures are in the bible
There were many writings at that time but we know the books of the Bible were accepted as scriptures by all, this was a position also accepted by the Church in Rome.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Syncan(m): 6:45pm On Aug 05, 2013
superior1:

True, Christ wrote down nothing and what we have as scriptures today are what the Apostles are inspired to write (plus the old testament). The ministry of Holy Spirit is to direct us in these truths.

Galatians 1:8
New International Version
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse!

So we know what ever teaching we get must be consistent to what is already revealed and in the scriptures. Paul placed a curse on any gospel which do not confirm with the scriptures.

You keep avoiding the truth, Paul placed a curse on any gospel contrary to what he and the rest disciples were teaching, both in words and epistles. Never only what he wrote!
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by MariaGoretti: 6:46pm On Aug 05, 2013
@Superior,
if you understood all these, what exactly is the arguement about?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 7:15pm On Aug 05, 2013
Syncan:

You keep avoiding the truth, Paul placed a curse on any gospel contrary to what he and the rest disciples were teaching, both in words and epistles. Never only what he wrote!

Syncan, we will start repeating our talk all over again. If he said things by word of mouth relevant to doctrine, what are they?, who documented it, at which of the churches?, when was it scriptured? and when was it adopted, was it accepted by the Churches at the east, asia manor, syria, rome like the new testament?

Even if such words existed, they must have a basis in the scripture, somebody cant come with a supposed word of mouth that contradicts what is written, no?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 7:19pm On Aug 05, 2013
Maria-Goretti:
@Superior,
if you understood all these, what exactly is the arguement about?

The Bible is the inspired word of God and basis of doctrine of Christian faith, any teaching outside of it and not found in the bible should be discarded
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Syncan(m): 8:08pm On Aug 05, 2013
superior1:

Syncan, we will start repeating our talk all over again. If he said things by word of mouth relevant to doctrine, what are they?, who documented it, at which of the churches?, when was it scriptured? and when was it adopted, was it accepted by the Churches at the east, asia manor, syria, rome like the new testament?

Even if such words existed, they must have a basis in the scripture, somebody cant come with a supposed word of mouth that contradicts what is written, no?

You see my friend, let's not be jittery here. Why use "If he said" when you can read very well that he said. The moment we start being economical with truth, the moment we cannot comprehend freely. So do you believe paul or not? then I can take on the rest issues you raised.

Note that you still have not told me Why the bible and not other books as mentioned.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Syncan(m): 8:12pm On Aug 05, 2013
superior1:

The Bible is the inspired word of God and basis of doctrine of Christian faith, any teaching outside of it and not found in the bible should be discarded

This is not only absent from the bible but a direct contradiction to what it says.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 8:26pm On Aug 05, 2013
Syncan:

This is not only absent from the bible but a direct contradiction to what it says.

Where?
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 05, 2013
[/quote]To Christians, Bible (containing both old and new) is the scriptures. There were several writings circulating among the Christians, the ones accepted as the inspired words of God is what is contained in the Bible. The Church at Rome aren't the only Church who adopted this both also the orthodox and asia manor Church. So, when we refer to the scriptures as Christians, we are talking not of Torah but the Bible. [quote]

Which christians? Who gave this definitions? The word scriptures does not refer to just the books in the bible my friend.The books in the bible are not the only scriptures that were written.Some scriptural writings like Books of Jashar,Nathan,Paul's epistle to the ladocieans e.t.c were lost others like Enoch,Jubilees,Assumption of moses shepherd of hermas e.t.c were not canonised.The term bible is used to describe the selection of scriptures that were canonised by the catholic synod of hippo 393CE and the local council of carthage 397CE.

The Apostles never used the bible.They even quoted books outside the bible.

The definition you are giving here is the protestant definition which was not shared by the church fathers who created the bible.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 05, 2013
[/quote]True, but the scriptures he was referring to Timothy includes his epistles and accounts of Jesus journey on earth. In several places, he asked that his epistles be read to the general assembly and in a particular place, he asked the epistle be sent to another Church. [quote]

St paul also asked the church in collosians to read his epistle to the ladociens(which is not in the bible),Jude quoted the books of Enoch and Assumption of moses,Samuel and Joshua reffered us to the book of Jashar ditto so many other non-biblical scriptures.

This all brings to naught the argument of sola bible(bible alone).This teaching has no scriptural basis,even the biblical authours did not adhere to this teaching.It is simply a protestant doctrine created by Martin Luther withput any scriptural basis.
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 9:05pm On Aug 05, 2013
Syncan:

You see my friend, let's not be jittery here. Why use "If he said" when you can read very well that he said. The moment we start being economical with truth, the moment we cannot comprehend freely. So do you believe paul or not? then I can take on the rest issues you raised.

Note that you still have not told me Why the bible and not other books as mentioned.

This is the truth, ok?.

2Timothy 15-17
…15and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16[b]All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness[/b]; 17[b]so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.[/b]
Re: On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- by superior1: 9:29pm On Aug 05, 2013
chukwudi44: To Christians, Bible (containing both old and new) is the scriptures. There were several writings circulating among the Christians, the ones accepted as the inspired words of God is what is contained in the Bible. The Church at Rome aren't the only Church who adopted this both also the orthodox and asia manor Church. So, when we refer to the scriptures as Christians, we are talking not of Torah but the Bible.

Which christians? Who gave this definitions? The word scriptures does not refer to just the books in the bible my friend.The books in the bible are not the only scriptures that were written.Some scriptural writings like Books of Jashar,Nathan,Paul's epistle to the ladocieans e.t.c were lost others like Enoch,Jubilees,Assumption of moses shepherd of hermas e.t.c were not canonised.The term bible is used to describe the selection of scriptures that were canonised by the catholic synod of hippo 393CE and the local council of carthage 397CE.

The Apostles never used the bible.They even quoted books outside the bible.

The fact is that the authority of the letters of Paul, of the Gospels and the book of Acts, as well as the other books of the New Testament was established in the early second century by acclamation of the church. The New Testament books
were chosen by the church as a whole on the basis of the fact that these particular books had apostolic authority. The data is conclusive that by about 150 AD a more or less fixed list of accepted writings was already circulating amongst the churches throughout the Roman world. There were minor differences in some of the lists, but these were worked out by about 200 AD.

The canon of the Old Testament was set by general consensus of the Jewish teachers as early as 400 BC, but almost certainly by 200 BC. The books were chosen because they had the marks of inspiration.

Like i told you, there were many writings circulating around and they arent scriptures. To be regarded as a scripture it has to be inspired, there where many that are floated by heretics. Those that are not canonized aren't regarded as scriptures by Christians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

Biblical Week Indicates The Second Coming Of Christ To Be Between 2030 - 2035 / Father Emmanuel Akalue Reacts To Patrick Edet’s Resignation / "I Was Healed Of HIV At Father Ebube Muonso's Adoration Ministry" - Lady (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.