Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,004 members, 7,849,049 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 01:52 PM

Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks (33882 Views)

My View On The Igbos From An Anioma Guy. / Fashola Replies Peter Obi Over Alleged Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos / Massob, Aka-Ikenga Condemn The Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by 2mch(m): 4:24pm On Aug 02, 2013
Billyonaire:

He, who knows how to read, but does not read, is same as he who know not how to read. You are a self-inflicted illiterate. Read that nice write-up again and feel the shame where there is need to.

Keep naming markets where over and over we see in the news that these guys have to carry drugs to fund or sustain the market. Now that Nigerian's have gone global most people are buying genuine parts abroad. Stop the empty boasts. they are dead on arrival. We can see the disproportionate amount of igbo traders awaiting death penalty in asia. Stop lying. Illiterate
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by delors(m): 4:25pm On Aug 02, 2013
Ema prince:

I think u are not speaking out of experience but you are letting us know what your father been telling you while you were growing up cos that's what I have noticed in all of your people..keep displaying your poor and pitiable upbringing..but all that hatred and jealousy cannot slow anybody down.
Ok. Point made. Point noted. cool
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by dozies: 4:26pm On Aug 02, 2013
Ngige and Fashola who do you want to decieve with your chicken brains. If FASHOLA was caring for these 14 people why not take them to their respective families. The Poor people and Beggers of Lagos state origin still sleeping under the bridges of Lagos have you arrested them all and probably deport them to their respective Local government in the spirit of fairness.
Ngige becareful because this time it will not be easy for you to sale your people over a plate of Amala and still joyfully come home. Think think!!!
Fashola should have used the money I pay as tax to him to rehabilitate my fellow Nigerians instead of deporting them.... Ooooh when the going is good you will sing my praise but when it goes bad you will deport me "then to your tent ooohh Isreal we are not citizens of one nation full stop". Your action is simply demonic.[Ngige and Fashola who do you want to decieve with your chicken brains. If FASHOLA was caring for these 14 people why not take them to their respective families. The Poor people and Beggers of Lagos state origin still sleeping under the bridges of Lagos have you arrested them all and probably deport them to their respective Local government in the spirit of fairness.
Ngige becareful because this time it will not be easy for you to sale your people over a plate of Amala and still joyfully come home. Think think!!!
Fashola should have used the money I pay as tax to him to rehabilitate my fellow Nigerians instead of deporting them.... Ooooh when the going is good you will sing my praise but when it goes bad you will deport me "then to your tent ooohh Isreal we are not citizens of one nation full stop". Your action is simply demonic.[/b]Ngige and Fashola who do you want to decieve with your chicken brains. If FASHOLA with caring for these 14 people why not take them to their respective families. The Poor people and Beggers of Lagos state origin still sleeping under the bridges of Lagos have you arrested them all and probably deport them to their respective Local government in the spirit of fairness.
Fashola should have used the money I pay as tax to him to rehabilitate my fellow Nigerians instead of deporting them.... Ooooh when the going is good you will sing my praise but when it goes bad you will deport me "then to your tent ooohh Isreal we are not citizens of one nation full stop". Your action is simply demonic.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nebeuwa(m): 4:26pm On Aug 02, 2013
Economic warfare is much better than actual warfare. I hope the Hausa take note.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 4:27pm On Aug 02, 2013
After this rehabilitation the affected people disclosed their true identities and the disclosure revealed that 14 of them were from Anambra State. For the purpose of reintegration with their kith and kin back home( most of them had nobody in Lagos) and for further social support and care, Lagos State Government communicated the Anambra State Government as well as other affected state governments to come forward and identify and take over their people. (see letter as annex 1)

On receipt of this communication, Anambra State Government requested for the identities of those claiming to be from the state( see letter as annex 2). The list was promptly supplied to them by Lagos State for immediate and urgent action( see letter as annex 3).

With further contact and pressure Anambra State Government preferred that the handing over be done at bridge head and Lagos State obliged but found no Anambra State Government Representative on arrival at the agreed date and was hence forced to leave the people at a government office they found at the Niger Bridgehead.

The Lagos State Government further explained that this kind of exchange of destitutes occur between states, as she recently went to Akwa Ibom State to take back two of her rehabilitated citizens.( see letter as annex 4).

This is clear enough to comprehend. It would have been illogical for Ngige after seeing those letters and corresponding responses from Sister Obi to reach a different conclusion.

On the threat by Governor Obi to take the matter to the Presidency, Governor Fashola said, “I know that the President has the moral authority to head the sovereign state of Nigeria but I am not aware that the Constitution says that disputes between states should be settled by the President.”

“If Anambra State has an issue with us and it feels too aggrieved not to call us, not to write to us, I feel the final arbiter must be the courts”, the Governor said adding, ”When I get a formal letter from Anambra or when I get a formal letter from the Presidency, I will lay bare what the facts are”. - Fashola

This is Fasola telling Obi: GEJ can't help you, go to court. Obi is a shame to governance.

Fasola is just too good when it comes to constitutional issues like this one. I ll be watching and sincerely hope out of a thousand perhaps a million noise makers, one sane mind ll just do the right thing: take LASG to court. Because ultimately if Fasola had breached any section of constitution as being alleged, they would and should have a simple and easy case to argue.

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 02, 2013
Nebeuwa: How come we never hear anything about the other South-West cities?

It is only Lagos, Lagos, and more Lagos.

When you go to the East, you hear cities like Enugu, Calabar, Port Harcourt, Owerri, Onitsha, Aba, Uyo etc.

When you go to the North/Middle Belt, you hear about cities like Kaduna, Kano, Jos etc.
Are Port-Harcourt, Uyo and Calabar parts of the South East? These places were parts of the defunct Eastern Region, but later ceased to on 27/05/1967. Can we, just as you have done on the East, say cities like Asaba, Benin, Warri, Ughelli, etc are in the West on account of their being parts of the defunct Western Region?
Guy, start reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 4:33pm On Aug 02, 2013
9ja_I_hail:

Just keep quiet my friend... Were you not the same person arguing forth and back that day defending foolishola with your life... Did we argue about deportation or who dumped helpless Nigerians in bridgehead at odd hour of that day? You lifeless guy who can't be bold enough to show real you. rather you always feel safe to be a chameleon. I could remember how you almost bet your life that very day saying lagos wasn't behind the action.

Only cowards act like you.

Noise, noise, noise! Can you quote any post in which I said Lagos didn't repatriate anybody? I dare you to quote even one. I maintained that Lagos has a programme that includes repatriation, skills acquisition, rehabilitation, etc and I even gave examples.

I am waiting for you to quote one post in which I said Lagos didn't repatriate anybody. I dare you.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by basilo101: 4:34pm On Aug 02, 2013
nedu666: FANTASTIC SERVES IGBOS RIGHT LET THEM CONTINUE DEVELOPING OTHER PEOPLE RIGHT. FASHOLA PLS CLOSE LADIPO,ALABA,IDUMOTA,ASMPADA ETC. DECLARE ECONOMIC WAR ON IBOS.WHAT IS THE WORST TO HAPPEN THEY WILL LOOSE A LOT LIKE THEY DID IN CIVIL WAR BUT WILL BE MUCH WISER.

AS FOR LAGOS IT WILL BE LESS CONGESTED, RENTS WILL FALL AS SS OUTWEIGHS DD, BANKS WILL CLOSE SO MANY BRANCHES, INSURANCE WILL LOOSE PREMIUMS FROM THIRD PARTY, SEAPORTS WILL BE LESS CONGESTED, AIRPORTS LESS CONGESTED, REVENUE FOR STATE AND LOCAL GOVT WILL FALL, PRICE OF REAL ESTATE WILL CRASH, ALL THESE PETROL DEPOTS WILL LOOSE CUSTOMERS. IN ALL SO MANY BUSINESS WILL STRUGGLE AND WORKERS WILL LOOSE THEIR JOBS. INFACT LAGOS WILL BE BETTER OFF

IBO ON UR PART U RETALIATE BY DECLARING ECONOMIC WAR ON YORUBAS. BOYCOTT GTB,STERLING,SKYE,STANDARD CHARTERED,IBTC,NESTLE,UNILEVER,PZ,P@G,HONEYWELL,ELIZADE,RCCG,WINNERS,HOUSE ON ROCK,CAC,MOUNTAIN OF FIRE,ALL CHURCHES WITH YORUBAS,DIVIDE THE CATHOLIC AND ANGLICAN, BOYCOTT GLO,MAIN ONE,TANTILIZERS,ALL EATERIES,EVENT ORGANIZATIONS,DEAL GUINESS A FINAL BLOW,INFACT DECLARE TOTALITY ON ANY YORUBA BUSINESS. BOYCOTT BEING THEIR DISTRIBUTORS.WHAT IS THE WORSE THAT WILL HAPPEN THEY WILL REDUCE REVENUE,SALES,TURNOVER,AND AS USUAL FIRE THEIR WORKERS.

BY DOING THESE TO EACH OTHER, WE WILL LEARN TO RESPECT EACH OTHER.LAGOS WILL STOP DRAGGING POPULATION FIGURES WITH KANO,ALL THESE TALK OF LARGEST GDP, BIG CUSTOMER BASE, ECONOMIC BASE BLA,BLABLA WILL END.AFTERALL WHAT DRIVES LAGOS IS POPULATION NOTHING MORE. AND CONSIDERING THAT NORTHERNS AND NIGERDELTA ARE NOT DAFT LIKE IBOS WHO POPULATE AND DEVELOP OTHER PEOPLE LAND. LAGOS WILL BE LIKE OTHER NIGERIA STATES. PEACEFUL AND QUIET

with an international airport at enugu and d ibaka seaport at akwa ibom which is a stone throw frm Aba, Lagos is sure 2 collapse veri soon
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 02, 2013
basilo101:
with an international airport at enugu and d ibaka seaport at akwa ibom which is a stone throw frm Aba, Lagos is sure 2 collapse veri soon

If so, why so much interest in Yorubaland? grin

2 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by lagcity(m): 4:38pm On Aug 02, 2013
basilo101:
we've been hearing that for a long time bro. it aint happening cheesy cheesy the only thing that can collapse Lagos is a nuclear strike. the state is just too sweet!

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 4:39pm On Aug 02, 2013
People keep talking about agbero, yoruba, etc, but the very first set of people that were arrested in this programme were agbero and area boys (during the Tinubu era) and the programme has continued since then.

This is an example of the community service option. I'll also post examples of the other options.

[size=14pt]Lagos Arrest Agberos On Highways[/size]

by lekanolas: 12:36pm On Jun 10

The Lagos State Government yesterday promised to intensify mass arrest of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) members who are extorting motorists on highways, even as the 46 hoodlums earlier arrested will continue their 50-hour community service sentence today.

It was learnt that those arrested may wash toilets and sweep public places for several hours as punishment for constituting nuisance to the public peace.

Speaking with National Mirror yesterday, Chairman of Lagos State Task Force on Environmental and Special Offences Unit, Mr. Bayo Sulaimon, said the taskforce would begin the enforcement on the ban of activities of the union members on highways.

He said: “We have declared war against Agbero again; we will not allow them to take over the state. We have flushed them out and they are coming back and we will flush them out again. In the next few hours now, more of them will be arrested. We are moving to different places to arrest more of them. Soon, we will move to other areas in the state. With this arrest, we are passing a message to others. Their leaders should call them to order.”

On the 46 hoodlums (Agbero) arrested and sentenced to 50- hour community service, Sulaimon said they would remain in the police custody until they reach the 50-hour term.

He said: “There is growing cases of Agbero terrorising people during traffic hours and causing traffic jam on most axis. The 46 of them arrested have begun serving community service sentence. They will serve the sentence by washing public toilets and sweeping of public places. We will now be taking them to their areas to wash toilets or sweep the market and parks where they have been doing area father. With this, we are simply telling them to repent.

“The serving of the punishment is at the discretion of the court and the Ministry of Justice. If we say they should serve 50- hour service at once, some of them may slump in the process. So, they will spend few hours and continue again the next day.”

Sulaimon, however, said that taskforce officials used under-cover vehicles while going after the hoodlums.

Stressing that the government embarked on the move to rid the state of hoodlums who collect dues outside motor parks, he added that a knife was recovered from one of those arrested.

Sulaimon said: “Collection of dues outside motor parks must stop.”

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/no-going-back-on-war-against-agberos-on-highways-lagos/
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nebeuwa(m): 4:39pm On Aug 02, 2013
Jonathan must hurry up in open up the East for business.

No need to stay in a place where you are not wanted.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by basilo101: 4:41pm On Aug 02, 2013
django1:

lagos is the only city in nigeria stop deluding yourself. enugu is not better than ilorin, just because enugu is the best thing in the south east doesnt make it to be par with lagos state.
Ilo_wetin? Bros wen will u start travelling? Enugu cn only come behind Lag, PH, Kano and Abj. 2ndly SE has produced strong cities outside state capitals lyk onitsha, aba and Nnewi
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 4:41pm On Aug 02, 2013
sexkillzisacunt: Every Yoruba person on Nairaland is now from Lagos lmao. What happened to the other 5 or 6 yoruba states? Why is no one from those places? Dipsticks
If Igbo people that cross the Niger, Urhobo, Ika, Edo, Ishan, etc, speaking places for Lagos can claim it belongs to them; what stops those from Yoruba speaking states of Osun, Ondo, Ogun, Ekiti, Oyo and parts of Kogi and Kwara from claiming Lagos?
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 02, 2013
delors:
Good point! smiley

Yes very very good point indeed! LOL grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Assad Ayinde in US, an: Michael Adebolajo in the UK are very evil Igbo men!
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 4:44pm On Aug 02, 2013
Tekunle is an island in the Lekki Lagoon. It was known as "The Place of No Return" because of the inhospital environment surrounding the island. The military governments used it as a detention camp/prison where politicians and other political prisoners were detained (some called it Nigeria's Alcatraz).

The Federal Government gave the island back to the state government when military rule ended. The Tinubu Administration decided to build a rehabilitation camp for area boys, beggars, the homeless, etc on the island. This is the story of the fire on the island. The centre has since been rebuilt by the Fashola administration.

mekusxxx: Print version ‘Area Boys’ Burn Rehabilitation Centre
February 17, 2010 17:16, 105 views

By Kazeem Ugbodaga

The multi-million naira Lagos State Rehabilitation and Skills Acquisition Centre, Tekunle, Lagos State has been burnt by area boys taken to the centre for rehabilitation.

The centre was built by former Governor Bola Tinubu about six years ago to rehabilitate area boys and drug addicts arrested on the streets of Lagos.

Tekunle is an Island at a remote area of Lekki and has often been described as a ‘place of no return’ because of its inaccessibility.

Area boys taken to the Island, after sometime adjust to the environment and learn useful skills such as tailoring, carpentry, vulcanizing, among others for a period of nine months after which they are sent back into the society to live meaningful lives.

However, P.M.NEWS gathered that scores of area boys sent for rehabilitation went on the rampage recently and razed the centre.

Equipment bought with millions of naira and the buildings in the centre were burnt by the area boys, bringing to an end the rehabilitation programme of the Lagos State Government for social miscreants.

It could not be ascertain why the area boys went on the rampage.

P.M.NEWS gathered, however, that the trainees revolted when they were being flogged for refusing to carry out certain instruction.

Officers of the Lagos State Taskforce on Environment and Special Offences unit, it was further learnt, saved the day as they stormed the centre and arrested scores of the area boys who carried out the act.

Chairman of the Task Force, Bayo Sulaiman, when contacted told P.M.NEWS that those arrested had been charged to the Tapa Customary Court, Lagos Island for arson.

He disclosed that the suspects were currently being remanded at the Ikoyi Prisons, adding that the state’s Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Supo Sasore, was handling the case for the government.

When asked to give details on how the area boys burnt the centre, he declined, saying that our reporter should go to the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Social Development to get such information.

When contacted, the Permanent Secretary, Mr. Kamal Junaid said: “I don’t know anything about it; you can contact the Public Relations Officer or the Special Adviser to the Governor on Youth, Sports and Social Development.”

Special Adviser to the Governor on Youth, Sports and Social Development, Dr. Dolapo Badru, could not be reached.

One of his aides who picked the call said his boss was in a meeting and that we should call later.

Since the inception of the centre, about four sets of area boys had been rehabilitated and empowered to live meaningful lives in the society.

Some of them had told stories of their wretched past and how their lives changed when they were rehabilitated at the training centre.

With the burning of the centre, it appears the laudable plan of the state government to rehabilitate the notorious area boys has been dealt a mortal blow.

https://www.nairaland.com/400138/area-boys-lagos-ibadan-action
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by basilo101: 4:46pm On Aug 02, 2013
lagcity:
we've been hearing that for a long time bro. it aint happening cheesy cheesy the only thing that can collapse Lagos is a nuclear strike. the state is just too sweet!
Ethiopian Airways has started sell tickets for its first flight into enugu airport dis august. D flyt is goin 2 b 4 tyms per week. Google dia flyt schedules bro
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by agbameta: 4:47pm On Aug 02, 2013
basilo101:

Before, it was Lagos will collapse with onisha port, but now after your onisha port arrived and is still siting there dormant like bored Eskimos ashawo, ibaka is now your new savior and LAGOS killer.

The fact that your survival is always in the hands of other people and never yours really should make you people think long and hard about your ways and future.

Comedic people....

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by 2mch(m): 4:48pm On Aug 02, 2013
agbameta:

Before, it was Lagos will collapse with onisha port, but now after your onisha port arrived and is still siting there dormant like bored Eskimos ashawo, ibaka is now your new savior and LAGOS killer.

The fact that your survival is always in the hands of other people and never yours really should make you people think long and hard about your ways and future.

Comedic people....

grin grin grin
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 4:49pm On Aug 02, 2013
Now, let's understand what re-unification is about. They tried to re-unify this kid with his father, but his father rejected him, so they cared for him. This is what the Lagos Ministry of Social Welfare expected the Anambra Social Welfare Ministry to do.

[size=14pt]Street-Kid Turned Vulcanizer Makes N5,000 Daily.[/size]

by berem(f): 12:01pm On May 29

About 13 years ago, Samuel Tanimola ran away from home in Ifo, Ogun State, at the age of 10 years. He came to Lagos and settled down in Dopemu area of the state.

Tanimola, who is now a vulcaniser, told our correspondent that he was fed up with the living condition at home.

However, things were not as easy as he had hoped. He had no friend and knew nobody in the new place he found himself, yet he had to feed.

Tanimola joined hordes of street children roaming the streets and feeding through the use of their wits until he was eventually arrested by the Environmental Task force on Special Offences in 2004.

He said, "I ran away because I was not happy at home; it was a polygamous setting and my mum was not living with us.

"Although things were tough on the street, it was better than home. I even tried to escape when the police raided Dopemu that day. They grabbed as many of us as they could lay hands on and took us to the remand home at Oregun. I was so scared that I imagined the worst."

For two years, Tanimola remained at the Oregun Juvenile Centre under close supervision without any contact with the outside world.

Then in March 2006, Tanimola was transferred to the Correctional Centre for Senior Boys, Isheri, where he stayed another three years.

He said, "The centre at Isheri was much better than the one in Oregun. We were allowed to go out and then return to the centre. But at Oregun, we could not go out. It was while I was staying at Isheri that I decided to learn a trade and become a vulcanizer. I have no interest in school."

PUNCH Metro learnt that Tanimola was reunited with his family in 2009. His father did not, however, return to the centre after his first visit until November 2010, when his son was formally empowered to become self reliant.

Now 23 years, Tanimola plies his trade at the Vehicle Inspection Office at Ojodu, a place which he secured through the efforts of a permanent secretary at the Lagos State Ministry of Youths, Sports and Social Development.

He said, "I have moved out of the centre; I now live at Akute. Business is good; there are just two of us here. On a good day, I make as much as N5,000; sometimes N3,000, and on some days, nothing at all.

"On the whole, I can take care of myself. I used to think that it was over for me but now I am happy."

The Special Adviser to Lagos State Governor on Youths, Sports and Social Development, Dr. Enitan Badru, said, "About 10 to 20 children come into our correctional centres monthly- most of them minors, caught roaming the streets or even committing crimes. Those caught committing crimes, usually face the justice system.

"These children often run away from home or were brought to Lagos by relatives. Others, fed up with life in the village, heard of a place called Lagos and got into a bus to come here, sleeping under the bridges and motor parks.

"When these children are brought in, we try to trace their families and reunite them. When we are not able to do that, we go to the courts and secure the right to keep the child and find the best means to help the child live a fulfilled life."

He said Tanimola was an example of the fact that street children could be made to become useful citizens with love and patience.

http://mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/metro/i-make-n5000-daily-street-kid-turned-vulcaniser/

https://www.nairaland.com/1306519/street-kid-turned-vulcanizer-makes-n5000
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by 1Dray(m): 4:51pm On Aug 02, 2013
Obiagelli: Perfect response from a true leader, God bless you ngige

All this bandwagoning by uniformed few is just shameful.

Question is have anyone interviewed any of the returnee, have anyone found out what their conditions were in Lagos before they were reunited?

Have lagos state not been returning hausa beggers to the not?

Haven't the Eastern states been re moving fulani migrants from their states

Did the federal government not return igbo from abuja some months ago?

You should be ashame of yourself.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by agbameta: 4:53pm On Aug 02, 2013
Plshavmercyamen: My broda, that is the more reason why LSG should publish those letters in the court of public opinion so all of us will be the judge based on facts and not political propaganda or tribal bigotry.

2 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by agbameta: 4:56pm On Aug 02, 2013
With these photos, Obi is not only a liar, he's also very lazy and incompetent. He has no credibility and it beats me why this man is a governor.

3 Likes

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Haliucissie: 4:58pm On Aug 02, 2013
fashola has said it already if obi is not okay 4 wot he has done he shud go 2 court,den we will see who is at fault.so u guys shud stop saying wot u dont know nd stop critisizing fashola.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by naptu2: 5:03pm On Aug 02, 2013
Some choose to learn a skill. The goal is that they should not have any reason to return to begging, the area boy and agbero way of life, street trading, etc.

When they finish their skills acquisition course they are given a loan by the Lagos Micro-Finance Institution (LASMI). Skills learnt include catering, sewing, vulcanising, mechanical and electrical engineering, etc.

[size=14pt]Fashola Hands Over Mushin (17th) Skills Acquisition And Vocational Centre (pics)[/size]

Eko Ile:

Press Releases

Fashola Hands Over Mushin Skills Acquisition And Vocational Centre
…Says 13,422 men, women have so far been trained through them

Feb 15, 2011 - Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola on Tuesday handed over the 17th Skills Acquisition and Vocational Centre in the State located at Mushin, revealing that the State has so far trained about 13,422 men and women.

Governor Fashola who spoke at the official commissioning of the Mushin Skill Acquisition Centre said from Amuwo Odofin, Badagry, Egan, Egbeda and Ejigbo, through Eredo, Iba, Ibeju Leki, Igbooye, Ikorodu and Kosofe to Lagos Island, Shibiri in Ojo, Surulere and Agege, the State has continually turned out thousands of young men and women with productive skills with which they are putting food on thousands of tables and contributing to the economy of the State.

The Governor said apart from the sustained support which the State gives to the ordinary people, Government has evolved a people oriented policy of facilitating training for the young people to acquire skills and granting them access to credit to start their own businesses, Government has also created a database for them to establish their location and for them to relate with themselves through the compilation and publication of the Lagos State Business Directory which is similar to "Yellow Pages".

He said beyond all the support for ordinary people, the State has evolved a people oriented policy of patronizing the local manufacturers and entrepreneurs over the foreign producers.

He recalled that the 2010 Lagos Carnival is a clear testimony of the practice as the over 93, 000 pieces of costumes used for the carnival that could have been imported much cheaper was commissioned for local production.

He stressed that the decision to site skill acquisition centres in different parts of the state was part of the administration's resolve to encourage young people to acquire vocational skills and create an avenue to make money and sustain themselves.

Governor Fashola expressed his worry at the recent policy shift by the Federal Government which allows importation of furniture, toothpick, textiles and vehicles of 15 years into the country.

He described the step as an economic tragedy for the nation which is not defensible and called for its reversal.

Governor Fashola stressed that the frenzy of importation has killed the local economy leading to high rate of unemployment and noting that smuggling could be tamed by well structured security mechanisms rather than throwing the flood gates open of goods to all sorts.

"This policy decision is not the answer to the problem of smuggling. The answer to the problem of smuggling lies rather in a methodical and multi-dimensional response. It includes the strengthening of the Customs through technology such as scanners, to improving the local productive capacity of our people and reducing dependence on imports and its attraction", he added.

He said if the Federal Government reverses the policy on importation and concentrate on stimulating the growth of the local industry through accelerated electricity supply, "our freight forwarders, our customs and our ports will become busier from a positive reversal of fortunes that is driven by an export oriented economy rather than an import driven economy".

He urged the people to vote massively for all the candidates of the Action Congress of Nigeria in Lagos because it is the only party that can deliver the goods which is very visible for everyone to see.

He urged the people of Lagos State not to give the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) any chance to rule in any part of the country anymore, adding that it is a party that is rebranding on a vision that is giving Nigerians insecurity and inflicting a nightmare on the people.

Earlier, the Commissioner for Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation (WAPA), Mrs. Adejoke Orelope-Adefulire, said the location of the centre in Mushin is informed by the administration's policy of tackling poverty and women empowerment at the grassroots.

She said the numerous skill acquisition programmes of the Ministry has offered diverse opportunities to all classes of Lagosians to learn various vocations after which they are provided with needed capital and conducive environment to start practicing their trade.

Mrs Orelope-Adefulire said that so far, over 60,000 grassroots women and youths have been trained in year 2010 alone through the Acquisition centres.

In his welcome address, the Chairman of Mushin Local Government, Mr Babatunde Adepitan said the construction of the Skills Acquisition Centre in Mushin at that particular spot is another miracle of the century which could be better compared to what happened at Oshodi.

He said as a responsible Government the Council received the gift with both hands and has complimented the efforts of the State by immediately constructing all the roads leading to the centre.

In a message of solidarity Commissioner for Environment, Dr Muiz Banire who is also an indigene of the area commended Governor Babatunde Fashola and his team for a job well done in transforming Lagos State.

He said the site of the project was hitherto a major security risk for the residents of the area just as it also constituted an environmental disaster spot, saying through the resourcefulness of the present administration, it has been transformed.

The ceremony was attended by the Deputy Governor, Princess Sarah Adebisi Sosan, members of the State Executive Council, members of the National Assembly and State Assembly representing Mushin and political leaders as well as enthusiastic residents of the area who trooped out to receive the Governor witness the event.

https://www.nairaland.com/606262/fashola-hands-over-mushin-17thhttp://www.nairaland.com/606262/fashola-hands-over-mushin-17th
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by NurseJP(m): 5:06pm On Aug 02, 2013
Kx: Was Ngige not once a governor of Anambra state b4 Peter Obi?
Can an ex governor recontest for d govnorship position?
That is what we see in Nigeria where our leaders are power drunk,tomorrow they will come to campaign field and tell me that Youths are future leaders!
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by frabel: 5:07pm On Aug 02, 2013
my big bros Ngige, is this how u want destroy all the legacies u built with ur people. we have no other option other than to abandon u with ur unholy alliance,
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by crossover(m): 5:09pm On Aug 02, 2013
[quote author=Billyonaire]........I write this, not cos I hate Yorubas or I love Igbos, I have Lagos State to thank for my Success, I came here with just a University Degree, now I got billions in investment courtesy of good business environment provided by the Yorubas and business acumen taught me by the Igbos, but with common sense injected into me by the spirit of Niger Delta struggle.

I am surprised that a graduate from a Nigerian university can drop, in an open forum, this kind of garbage and spurted out so much balderdash. Many of us had been to many of the towns and cities in the South-East and South -South in the course of official duties. We can tell the story of your land more than you that claimed to be the son-of-the-soil. But, at this stage, it will be ironical for me to descend to your gibberish state of mind just to proof a point. Apart from Calabar, Uyo, Port Harcourt and Warri, please name any town or city in the SE where non-indigenes are comfortable and could conveniently flourish as you did in Lagos? I have so much to tell of your land and your people but it will be quite unfortunate for me not to respect the good people I have met along the way. Billyonaire, or whatever you call yourself, I can tell you unequivocally, that you are a disgrace to this generation. You are supposed to build not to destroy, especially now that you have been blessed.

1 Like

Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 02, 2013
agbameta: With these photos, Obi is not only a liar, he's also very lazy and incompetent. He has no credibility and it beats me why this man is a governor.

You can say that again and again. He's a mediocrity with no visible achievements to his credit in Anambra.
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by MackyO(f): 5:14pm On Aug 02, 2013
So so disapointd!
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by Midastouch1: 5:18pm On Aug 02, 2013
oshyno:

'Deportation' of Igbos from Lagos: Senator Ngige speaks

Former Governor of Anambra State and Senator representing Anambra Central Senatorial District, Dr. Chris Nwabueze Ngige has addressed the media on the alleged deportation of ndi Igbo from Lagos State. Senator Ngige stated this in a letter to Aka Ikenga a socio cultural group which had requested that he take up the matter with the Governor of Lagos State. Below are

the contents of his letter and attached annexes( communication between Lagos State and Anambra governments)

Greetings,

I write in respect of the above subject matter, which Aka Ikenga at its 28th July, 2013 general meeting which I was privileged to attend as Special Guest of Honour, requested me to take up with the Lagos State Government. I am glad to inform you that I was received in audience the day after, by His Excellency; Governor Raji Babatunde Fashola( SAN) the Governor of Lagos State and the issue was discussed exhaustively.

At the meeting, the Lagos State Governor disclosed that contrary to claims, the issue in question has nothing to do with deportation, but a Social Welfare Intervention, involving several homeless destitutes and other psychiatric cases roaming the streets and some living under the bridges in Lagos. These people were taken in and treated and cared for by the Lagos State Government free of charge and thereafter needed to be reintegrated with their families.

After this rehabilitation the affected people disclosed their true identities and the disclosure revealed that 14 of them were from Anambra State. For the purpose of reintegration with their kith and kin back home( most of them had nobody in Lagos) and for further social support and care, Lagos State Government communicated the Anambra State Government as well as other affected state governments to come forward and identify and take over their people. (see letter as annex 1)

On receipt of this communication, Anambra State Government requested for the identities of those claiming to be from the state( see letter as annex 2). The list was promptly supplied to them by Lagos State for immediate and urgent action( see letter as annex 3).

With further contact and pressure Anambra State Government preferred that the handing over be done at bridge head and Lagos State obliged but found no Anambra State Government Representative on arrival at the agreed date and was hence forced to leave the people at a government office they found at the Niger Bridgehead.

The Lagos State Government further explained that this kind of exchange of destitutes occur between states, as she recently went to Akwa Ibom State to take back two of her rehabilitated citizens.( see letter as annex 4).

You will recall Mr. President of Aka Ikenga, that I had assured the Aka Ikenga members that the Lagos State Government that I am familiar with will not go out of its way to cause hardship to our people and this is evident in its disposition as the first Government of Lagos State to appoint an Igbo as a commissioner and many others into other cabinet positions.

For promotion and maintenance of the good relationship that exists between the Igbos who form about 25% of the population of Lagos State and their Lagos host, I have secured an appointment for you, the President and Executive members of Aka Ikenga to further discuss this matter and other sundry issues affecting Ndi Igbo in Lagos State, with the Lagos State Governor on a date that will be mutually agreed by both parties.

As a member of the Action Congress of Nigeria ( ACN), which is the party in power in Lagos State, I wish to further reassure you and Aka Ikenga in particular and Ndi Igbo in general, that the government of Lagos State, that I am familiar with does not and will not harbour any anti Igbo agenda, as being, insinuated in some certain quarters.

Accept as usual the assurances of my highest regards.

Senator Chris Nwabueze Ngige, MD, OON, KSJ

Senator representing Anambra Central Senatorial District

( Former Governor Anambra State, 2003-2006 )

http://elombah.com/index.php/articles-mainmenu/16894-deportation-of-igbos-from-lagos-senator-ngige-speaks

Finally an Igbo leader speaks sense. God Bless Ngige
Re: Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks by ACM10: 5:19pm On Aug 02, 2013
As a strong supporter of Dr Chris Ngige, I'm so disappointed with his take on this issue. I bet that his comment wont play out well among Anambra voters. APGA will make a political meal out of this statement.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Buhari To Make 6000 Appointments – Presidency / Buhari Meets French President Hollande In Elysee Palace (Photos) / 2019: How Buhari Embarrassed Himself In Uyo – PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.