Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,279 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation - Politics (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation (55030 Views)

Gtbank Documents Show How Saraki Transferred $3 Million To U.S. / #Panama Papers: Documents Show Saraki Is The Owner Of Hidden Assets & Not Toyin / Anambra Government Fixes Nkpor Flyover After Online Protests (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by muktarl: 12:18pm On Aug 03, 2013
coogar:

you are a pathological liar suffering from an identity crisis. did you not tell us you were from jigawa state?

if your father marries four wives and they are from different state, don't you have stake in those states? let me tell you my father married 4wives. one from osun, jigawa, minna and kano. at least my earlier post have shown you that at least am not ibo. i have commented against the ibo before.

1 Like

Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by muktarl: 12:20pm On Aug 03, 2013
superstar1:

If you like, you can come from Timbuktu or Kandahar or even tora bora mountain. That is your cup of woteva u drink in ur village

whatever. am i free now to condemn the evil youroba?
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by Midastouch1: 12:21pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl:

go through my posts. my father alhaji.....is from niger state, while my mother is from osun state. my mother is equally a moslem.

Ole barrawo Ofon grin grin grin grin

You are a proper Ndigbo grin grin grin grin

Why are you ashamed? grin grin grin grin

Posting pictures of hausa destitutes and calling them Yoruba and you say you are Hausa?? grin grin grin grin

Please post pictures of towns and villages in Alaigbo so we can compare grin grin grin grin
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 03, 2013
Midastouch1:

Posting pictures of hausa destitutes and calling them Yoruba and you say you are Hausa?? grin grin grin grin

Please post pictures of towns and villages in Alaigbo so we can compare grin grin grin grin

The dude has the highest number of monikers on NL after Musiwa....

He is a virus
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by muktarl: 12:23pm On Aug 03, 2013
another thing i noticed among the ibos is that there is a middle class. there is no few rich people and too many poor peopple. most people i meet here are usually comfortable and average, unlike in the north where you have dangote and all around his town there are army beggars. it is not like that in the east. an average ibo man married one wife. they are models.

1 Like

Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by PeterKbaba: 12:23pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl:

i still say it yuoroba do not contribute any meaningful thing in this country. i still blame my people that fought the ibos. yourobas are still the only reason nigeria is stagnant. if fg did not develop lagos, this is the only thing youroba land could have given to nigeria. this is not funny.

THOSE IBADAN BUILDING'S YOU SEE ARE BEAUTIFUL FOR TOURIST ATTRACTION...IT SHOWS THE ANCIENT LOOKS OF THE PLACE... CAN'T YOU SEE THE UNIFORMITY IN THE BUILDING STRUCTURES AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION, THOSE BUILDING ARE FROM THE YEAR 1800.... YOU SHOW US HOW IGBOLAND WAS IN THE YEAR 1800...... WERE YOU GUYS NOT LIVING ON TREES AND EATING YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS LIKE OTOKOTO CANNIBALS

Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by coogar: 12:23pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl:
if your father marries four wives and they are from different state, don't you have stake in those states? let me tell you my father married 4wives. one from osun, jigawa, minna and kano. at least my earlier post have shown you that at least am not ibo. i have commented against the ibo before.

tell that to the army of lunatics that are empty-minded like you. if your mother is from osun and your father is from niger, how the fück are you from jigawa?

osun + niger = jigawa?

you are a pathological liar, a fraud, the worst verminous cretin one can ever come across. i have more respect for the destitutes fashola sent back to anambra, at least they had dignity and they were proud of where they came from.

2 Likes

Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by superstar1(m): 12:25pm On Aug 03, 2013
[quote author=plasgidy][/quote]

Oga FGN gave ur people 20pounds and not Yorubas. I don't know the tribe that robbed mma.how will I know when I m not part of the gang or are you. Coz i dont know how you know who robbed mma, coz im not aware they were caught. We will ask Seun to spool your identity and a warrant of arrest will be place on u.

Assuming they were speaking Yoruba during their ops, do not forget virtually all ibos in lag speaks the language.

Don't even go to the history of robbery in this country before you will be embarrassed internationally
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by thomason: 12:25pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl:

grin grin grin grin ahahahahaha. In fact, you gonna be champion in lying competition. woooooow
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by coogar: 12:27pm On Aug 03, 2013
thomason:
grin grin grin grin ahahahahaha. In fact, you gonna be champion in lying competition. woooooow

muktarl epitomises all that is wrong with nigeria. he's not even proud of where he is from. muktarl is a disgrace to the umbilical cord that fed him as a foetus and he's equally a disgrace to the village that birthed him.
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by muktarl: 12:28pm On Aug 03, 2013
Midastouch1:

let me try.

this is bird view ibadan and onitsha. certainly there is no basis for comparison.

1 Like

Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by martinbillings: 12:30pm On Aug 03, 2013
It baffles me the way people reason. The difference between the mail written by LSG to Anambra and the one written by Akwa Ibom to LSG is very glaring, just that tribalism wont allow us to see. Akwa Ibom stated that the destitutes were been treated and were responding to treatment and that they had no relatives in Akwa Ibom and therefore decided to integrate them with their families in Lagos. Did Lagos Govt. tried to find out if the so called Igbo destitutes had relatives in Lagos? I know these mails are being sponsored by Ngige. Nnaa this mess is exactly what you get when you align with the west. Ask Ribadu. Ngige keep off from this mess so that the blood of your kinsmen who died from this unjust deportation will not be on your head. I employ all Igbos to remain calm and be peaceful. In God we trust.

1 Like

Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by Midastouch1: 12:31pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl: another thing i noticed among the ibos is that there is a middle class. there is no few rich people and too many poor peopple. most people i meet here are usually comfortable and average, unlike in the north where you have dangote and all around his town there are army beggars. it is not like that in the east. an average ibo man married one wife. they are models.

For a so called Hausa man, you know more about the Ibos than Hausas grin grin grin grin grin

You should be ashamed of yourself Isi ewu grin grin grin

You are not even good at concealing your lies grin grin grin grin

Illiterate grin grin grin grin
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by obitwo: 12:31pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl:

let me try.

this is bird view ibadan and onitsha. certainly there is no basis for comparison.

What you posted is only a small part of Ibadan

Mind you, Oyo State is as large as all the SE states put together in land mass

Oyo State has more industries and its no wonder the state's GDP is higher than that of any state in the SE
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by muktarl: 12:31pm On Aug 03, 2013
PeterKbaba:

THOSE IBADAN BUILDING'S YOU SEE ARE BEAUTIFUL FOR TOURIST ATTRACTION...IT SHOWS THE ANCIENT LOOKS OF THE PLACE... CAN'T YOU SEE THE UNIFORMITY IN THE BUILDING STRUCTURES AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION, THOSE BUILDING ARE FROM THE YEAR 1800.... YOU SHOW US HOW IGBOLAND WAS IN THE YEAR 1800...... WERE YOU GUYS NOT LIVING ON TREES AND EATING YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS LIKE OTOKOTO CANNIBALS

this shows only one thing, that the ibos saw civilization earlier enough than yourobas. although we northerners towers all.
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by thomason: 12:31pm On Aug 03, 2013
coogar:

muktarl epitomises all that is wrong with nigeria. he's not even proud of where he is from. muktarl is a disgrace to the umbilical cord that fed him as a foetus and he's equally a disgrace to the village that birthed him.

If you read most of his past post, he is always supporting Obi, yet he lied he is from Niger, Jigawa, Minna, Osun and Kano. lolzzzz
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by muktarl: 12:33pm On Aug 03, 2013
Midastouch1:

For a so called Hausa man, you know more about the Ibos than Hausas grin grin grin grin grin

You should be ashamed of yourself Isi ewu grin grin grin

You are not even good at concealing your lies grin grin grin grin

Illiterate grin grin grin grin

go through my post. i left niger state 6years ago to the east. my father own trailers. am presently sokoto road, onitsha. tomorrow we are going to ph to do offload. so how are mine so suppose to know the ibos if not by living among them.
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by muktarl: 12:35pm On Aug 03, 2013
obitwo:

What you posted is only a small part of Ibadan

Mind you, Oyo State is as large as all the SE states put together in land mass

Oyo State has more industries and its no wonder the state's GDP is higher than that of any state in the SE

they have all the GDP and landmass but still have the largest army of alumanjiri after kano. they have all these and that but still have the highest povery casulty in nigeria. there is no need to lie. that is how the whole of ibadan looks like. stop the lies.
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by superstar1(m): 12:36pm On Aug 03, 2013
martinbillings: It baffles me the way people reason. The difference between the mail written by LSG to Anambra and the one written by Akwa Ibom to LSG is very glaring, just that tribalism wont allow us to see. Akwa Ibom stated that the destitutes were been treated and were responding to treatment and that they had no relatives in Akwa Ibom and therefore decided to integrate them with their families in Lagos. Did Lagos Govt. tried to find out if the so called Igbo destitutes had relatives in Lagos? I know these mails are being sponsored by Ngige. Nnaa this mess is exactly what you get when you align with the west. Ask Ribadu. Ngige keep off from this mess so that the blood of your kinsmen who died from this unjust deportation will not be on your head. I employ all Igbos to remain calm and be peaceful. In God we trust.

Oga, direct your questions to your governors.

Stop crying wolf where there is none. Lagos state indigenes that are miscreants were also arrested in the past and we all applauded it. Akwa I on n katsina made appropriate transportation for their indigenes. What were your governors looking at for 90days.
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by Midastouch1: 12:37pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl:

go through my post. i left niger state 6years ago to the east. my father own trailers. am presently sokoto road, onitsha. tomorrow we are going to ph to do offload. so how are mine so suppose to know the ibos if now by living among them.

And in the midst of this offload, you have been online since early this morning grin grin grin grin grin

You are omo nna who is ashamed of his tribe grin grin grin grin

Try harder with your fat lies grin grin grin grin
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by coogar: 12:38pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl:
go through my post. i left niger state 6years ago to the east. my father own trailers. am presently sokoto road, onitsha. tomorrow we are going to ph to do offload. so how are mine so suppose to know the ibos if now by living among them.

shut up and stop lying....
your credibility is in tatters - you lie about everything! how are we even sure you are not from niger republic or perhaps, a member of boko haram!

your father married women from 4 different states - who is he? king solomon? only you claiming niger, osun, jigawa, kano and anambra??
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by Midastouch1: 12:38pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl:

there is no need to lie. that is how the whole of ibadan looks like. stop the lies.

isi Ewu grin grin grin grin

Have you been to GRA in Ibadan? Finer than any place in the SE where u are from grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl:

this shows only one thing, that the ibos saw civilization earlier enough than yourobas. although we northerners towers all.

This is what your Ibo land look like during the same period.

While Yorubas already have zinc roof covering their heads...your grandfather were still in this stage of human living evolution..

1 Like

Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by coogar: 12:42pm On Aug 03, 2013
superstar1:
Oga, direct your questions to your governors.

Stop crying wolf where there is none. Lagos state indigenes that are miscreants were also arrested in the past and we all applauded it. Akwa I on n katsina made appropriate transportation for their indigenes. What were your governors looking at for 90days.

don't mind that simpleton!
lagos state went to akwa ibom to pick up 2 of their destitutes. anambra cannot go to lagos and pick 14 of theirs, they had no arrangement to receive them and peter obi is whining like a bïtch after he's failed the people of his state.....

if there are sensible members in the house of rep, peter obi should be facing an impeachment as we speak! he's failed the people that voted him into power. incompetent, moronic governor.
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by plasgidy: 12:45pm On Aug 03, 2013
superstar1:

Oga FGN gave ur people 20pounds and not Yorubas. I don't know the tribe that robbed mma.how will I know when I m not part of the gang or are you. Coz i dont know how you know who robbed mma, coz im not aware they were caught. We will ask Seun to spool your identity and a warrant of arrest will be place on u.

Assuming they were speaking Yoruba during their ops, do not forget virtually all ibos in lag speaks the language.

Don't even go to the history of robbery
in this country before you will be
embarrassed internationally

guy which planet do live? who was heading nigeria when the 20 pounds was given was it not awolowo common grow up men you will pay me for teaching yu all this. are you not on naira land dont you read news majority of the rubbers are yoruba guys, accept some fact i wount slap u ok.

1 Like

Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by obitwo: 12:45pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl:

they have all the GDP and landmass but still have the largest army of alumanjiri after kano. they have all these and that but still have the highest povery casulty in nigeria. there is no need to lie. that is how the whole of ibadan looks like. stop the lies.

Why will a Shoprite open in Ibadan ahead of Onitsha and they are now even contemplating building another or why will an international franchise like KFC open in Ibadan and have no outlet in the SE?

Why would Slot, owned by an Igbo man open in Ibadan ahead of any city in the SE. Not even sure they have one there now sef.

Even if you don't believe the GDP stats, you can't at least fault the business planning logic of a KFC
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by muktarl: 12:48pm On Aug 03, 2013
[s]
ilugunboy:

This is what your Ibo land look like during the same period.

While Yorubas already have zinc roof covering their heads...your grandfather were still in this stage of human living evolution..

[/s]

am telling you that youroba land is laid back. now you have shown me what SE looks like in 1100AD and I have shown you what they look like in the 1900AD. what is the youroba looks like in the same 1900AD if not like the picture below. who is backward here.

1 Like

Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by IGBOSON1: 12:49pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl:

then i will follow you bumper to bumper to counter any lie you tell here.

^^^Hehehehehe grin

This Muktari is a very funny guy! He's like a thorn in superstar1s flesh that just wouldn't let go!

Superstar1 has told him both nicely and abusively to leave him alone and stop following him about (he's here only to face the 'Igbos'), but Muktari is having none of it, and is in his face at every turn......hilarious! grin

1 Like

Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by muktarl: 12:50pm On Aug 03, 2013
obitwo:

Why will a Shoprite open in Ibadan ahead of Onitsha and they are now even contemplating building another or why will an international franchise like KFC open in Ibadan and have no outlet in the SE?

Why would Slot, owned by an Igbo man open in Ibadan ahead of any city in the SE. Not even sure they have one there now sef.

Even if you don't believe the GDP stats, you can't at least fault the business planning logic of a KFC

the last we checked shoprite was recording low sale in the same ibadam. it can only mean onething- poverty. next thing we hear is that they have folded in ibadam, its not funny

The first day it opened it was like a tourist site, but the Ibadan people have since found their way back to their local markets…lol. Barely a month after the grand opening of Shoprite at Heritage Cocoa Mall, on Oba Adebimpe Road, Dugbe, Ibadan, Oyo State, the retail store has been hit with low patronage. The number of Ibadan people who go there to buy things have reduced drastically. Some residents blame it on the prices of goods at shoprite. While some say it’s cheaper to buy some goods from their local markets than from shoprite, others say though it’s cheaper to buy from shoprite than the stores in their neighborhood, the difference isn’t much and the transport fare to go to shoprite and back isn’t worth it, so they stick to shops in their area.

The most patronized commodity at shoprite Ibadan is the freshly baked bread, everything else na manage…:-) Though people go there a lot on the weekends…just to look around.

http://9jaolofofo.com.ng/low-patronage-hits-newly-opened-ibadan-shoprite/
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by obitwo: 12:53pm On Aug 03, 2013
muktarl:

the last we checked shoprite was recording low sale in the same ibadam. its not funny

You? Who?

A breath of fresh air seemed to have hit Ibadan city with the opening of Shoprite retail store on Thursday, June 27. Shoprite, located beside the famous Cocoa House, the city’s tallest structure, in Dugbe, attracted thousands of residents on its opening day on June 28.

The size of the crowd that thronged the mall made it the biggest attraction in the city. Various jokes also hit the social media about the crowd of people that greeted the store on its opening day. A famous joke says 102,000 people visited the store on that day, with only about N35,000 made from sales. Many, the inventors of the jokes claimed, were at the store to window shop and take pictures.

However, the situation had not changed much after one week. There was a large crowd of people milling in and out of the mall, filling up all the spaces within the store.

But so were the cash points; shoppers queued up at the 17 main cash points and the additional two points at the kiosk section, giving the cashiers no moment of rest on the job. Business owners, civil servants, students and even school pupils in uniforms made up the crowd, buying notebooks and other school items.

But in general, youths and middle-aged persons seemed to make up the bulk of people at the store, Saturday PUNCH observed.

A student, Mr. Wale Olusola, who was at the mall on the day it opened, said there was “mad human traffic” within and around the mall. He said, “We had to move slowly because there were so many people coming in and going out. It was like forming queues all over the place. People also had to be vigilant so that their phones and wallets didn’t get stolen by pick-pockets in the crowd.”

A businessman, Mr. Biodun Azeez, described the opening of the mall as a “good thing”, saying he was happy with the development.

He said, “I’ve been here twice in three days and I always buy things. There is always something to buy because it’s hard to resist the lure of the goods here. It’s like they are all shouting ‘come buy me’. And you don’t need to haggle over the price, which is sometimes frustrating.”

Another shopper, Mrs. Olumide Abulude, described the mall as a ‘one-stop shop’ and a new feature in the city.

“You don’t even need to visit an open market like Agbeni because you can get everything here. Their prices are also reasonable. You can get groceries, meat and even locust beans here,” she said, adding that people generally have a wrong notion about the city.

“The truth is that Ibadan is up there and its people know how to enjoy life. You can see the crowd here and the number of people buying and buying things< Abulude added.

However, a shopper, Mr. Adewale Mayowa, said the crowd had been split between the real buyers and the window shoppers.

He said, “There are indeed, a large number of real shoppers, but there are also some who only come to see, take photos or buy something small like sausage.”

Shoprite is located within a merged stuctuer comprising the Cocoa Mall and the Heritage Mall.

The Heritage Mall, which occupies the old Sketch House, was financed by O’dua Investment Company at the cost of about N1.4bn, while the Cocoa Mall, which is an extension of Cocoa House, is being done in conjunction with a private developer, Topservices Limited.

Even though the malls were yet to be completed, as construction work was still ongoing, when Saturday PUNCH visited the place, residents were already excited about the prospect of having arguably the biggest mall in South-West Nigeria.

Aside from Shoprite, others like PEP, Mr. Price, Cash and Carry, Filmhouse Cinema, and Lifemate Furniture have begun operations, while other spaces are being prepared.

But with the addition of the shopping malls and Shoprite to the scores of other stores in Ibadan, the shopping culture of the residents will arguably experience a major change. Many already suspect that open markets like Agbeni and Aleshinloye might suffer now that people can get most of the products under a roof, without having to move from stall to stall, in the sun.

But a trader at Agbeni market, who identified herself as Alhaja Risikat, debunked the fears.

She said, “There will always be people who prefer to come to us; so I don’t think it is ever going to affect us. We used to have Kingsway and UTC in Ibadan and there were still other markets then, so it won’t make any difference at all.”

Similarly, the managements of some other big stores in the city have also said they are not threatened by Shoprite’s arrival.

The expatriate owner of Trolleys, a store a few blocks away from Shoprite, Mr. George Kay, described the situation as “give and take.”

He said, “It is true that Shoprite brings a lot of traffic to this place, but in that process, it is also opening the place up. So some people coming here for the first time will notice our store too and visit. “Sometimes, people who have been in traffic for long would stop by our place and not even get to Shoprite. And there is nothing they have that I don’t have, but there are things I have that they don’t have.

“But on the other hand, the traffic here at the weekend was so bad that the entrance to my shop was blocked. People coming to my store were hindered by the traffic situation. So there is the benefit angle and there is the damage angle too; but no fear from me.”

Also at Foodco in Bodija, which offers a variety of services and products, an official who did not give his name, said, “The sky is large for every bird to fly.”

The source also said nothing had changed at Foodco since the opening of Shoprite in Ibadan.

He said, “There is a big population in Ibadan and we have our loyal customers. Since they came, there has been no difference in our sales, so the sky is large enough. People may go there (Shoprite) and check what is happening there, but our customers know what we also offer.”

A representative of Zooma store, also at Bodija, who spoke to our correspondent, described the population of Ibadan as a huge factor to consider.

She said, “When you consider the population of Ibadan, it’s enough to go round. However, I don’t think their (Shoprite) coming to Ibadan will affect standard stores. I think it’s the open markets that will be affected. Since they opened, business has been the same here.”

At Challenge, a PEP store, which opened in December 2012, has been popular with residents around there.

An official of the store, who spoke in confidence, also said the store had nothing to worry about.

The source said, “We are not threatened at all because we have the cheapest prices in town and our customers know that; that’s what works for us.”

Meanwhile, an official of Shoprite, who spoke under condition of anonymity because he said he was not authorised to speak to journalists, said business has been good at the store.

However, when asked about sales figures, the official said employees were not allowed to discuss sales. He, however, noted that the store was worthy of the attention it had got in the city.

The source said, “Well, business has been good but we don’t ever discuss our sales. People have been coming to buy variety of things; bread has been doing well and people even come for locust beans.

“When you compare the kind of investment we have put in the place, you will know that it’s worth it. We offer our customers aesthetics and the very best.”
Re: Documents Show Lagos Informed Anambra Government Before Alleged Deportation by muktarl: 12:54pm On Aug 03, 2013
[s]
obitwo:

You? Who?

A breath of fresh air seemed to have hit Ibadan city with the opening of Shoprite retail store on Thursday, June 27. Shoprite, located beside the famous Cocoa House, the city’s tallest structure, in Dugbe, attracted thousands of residents on its opening day on June 28.

The size of the crowd that thronged the mall made it the biggest attraction in the city. Various jokes also hit the social media about the crowd of people that greeted the store on its opening day. A famous joke says 102,000 people visited the store on that day, with only about N35,000 made from sales. Many, the inventors of the jokes claimed, were at the store to window shop and take pictures.

However, the situation had not changed much after one week. There was a large crowd of people milling in and out of the mall, filling up all the spaces within the store.

But so were the cash points; shoppers queued up at the 17 main cash points and the additional two points at the kiosk section, giving the cashiers no moment of rest on the job. Business owners, civil servants, students and even school pupils in uniforms made up the crowd, buying notebooks and other school items.

But in general, youths and middle-aged persons seemed to make up the bulk of people at the store, Saturday PUNCH observed.

A student, Mr. Wale Olusola, who was at the mall on the day it opened, said there was “mad human traffic” within and around the mall. He said, “We had to move slowly because there were so many people coming in and going out. It was like forming queues all over the place. People also had to be vigilant so that their phones and wallets didn’t get stolen by pick-pockets in the crowd.”

A businessman, Mr. Biodun Azeez, described the opening of the mall as a “good thing”, saying he was happy with the development.

He said, “I’ve been here twice in three days and I always buy things. There is always something to buy because it’s hard to resist the lure of the goods here. It’s like they are all shouting ‘come buy me’. And you don’t need to haggle over the price, which is sometimes frustrating.”

Another shopper, Mrs. Olumide Abulude, described the mall as a ‘one-stop shop’ and a new feature in the city.

“You don’t even need to visit an open market like Agbeni because you can get everything here. Their prices are also reasonable. You can get groceries, meat and even locust beans here,” she said, adding that people generally have a wrong notion about the city.

“The truth is that Ibadan is up there and its people know how to enjoy life. You can see the crowd here and the number of people buying and buying things< Abulude added.

However, a shopper, Mr. Adewale Mayowa, said the crowd had been split between the real buyers and the window shoppers.

He said, “There are indeed, a large number of real shoppers, but there are also some who only come to see, take photos or buy something small like sausage.”

Shoprite is located within a merged stuctuer comprising the Cocoa Mall and the Heritage Mall.

The Heritage Mall, which occupies the old Sketch House, was financed by O’dua Investment Company at the cost of about N1.4bn, while the Cocoa Mall, which is an extension of Cocoa House, is being done in conjunction with a private developer, Topservices Limited.

Even though the malls were yet to be completed, as construction work was still ongoing, when Saturday PUNCH visited the place, residents were already excited about the prospect of having arguably the biggest mall in South-West Nigeria.

Aside from Shoprite, others like PEP, Mr. Price, Cash and Carry, Filmhouse Cinema, and Lifemate Furniture have begun operations, while other spaces are being prepared.

But with the addition of the shopping malls and Shoprite to the scores of other stores in Ibadan, the shopping culture of the residents will arguably experience a major change. Many already suspect that open markets like Agbeni and Aleshinloye might suffer now that people can get most of the products under a roof, without having to move from stall to stall, in the sun.

But a trader at Agbeni market, who identified herself as Alhaja Risikat, debunked the fears.

She said, “There will always be people who prefer to come to us; so I don’t think it is ever going to affect us. We used to have Kingsway and UTC in Ibadan and there were still other markets then, so it won’t make any difference at all.”

Similarly, the managements of some other big stores in the city have also said they are not threatened by Shoprite’s arrival.

The expatriate owner of Trolleys, a store a few blocks away from Shoprite, Mr. George Kay, described the situation as “give and take.”

He said, “It is true that Shoprite brings a lot of traffic to this place, but in that process, it is also opening the place up. So some people coming here for the first time will notice our store too and visit. “Sometimes, people who have been in traffic for long would stop by our place and not even get to Shoprite. And there is nothing they have that I don’t have, but there are things I have that they don’t have.

“But on the other hand, the traffic here at the weekend was so bad that the entrance to my shop was blocked. People coming to my store were hindered by the traffic situation. So there is the benefit angle and there is the damage angle too; but no fear from me.”

Also at Foodco in Bodija, which offers a variety of services and products, an official who did not give his name, said, “The sky is large for every bird to fly.”

The source also said nothing had changed at Foodco since the opening of Shoprite in Ibadan.

He said, “There is a big population in Ibadan and we have our loyal customers. Since they came, there has been no difference in our sales, so the sky is large enough. People may go there (Shoprite) and check what is happening there, but our customers know what we also offer.”

A representative of Zooma store, also at Bodija, who spoke to our correspondent, described the population of Ibadan as a huge factor to consider.

She said, “When you consider the population of Ibadan, it’s enough to go round. However, I don’t think their (Shoprite) coming to Ibadan will affect standard stores. I think it’s the open markets that will be affected. Since they opened, business has been the same here.”

At Challenge, a PEP store, which opened in December 2012, has been popular with residents around there.

An official of the store, who spoke in confidence, also said the store had nothing to worry about.

The source said, “We are not threatened at all because we have the cheapest prices in town and our customers know that; that’s what works for us.”

Meanwhile, an official of Shoprite, who spoke under condition of anonymity because he said he was not authorised to speak to journalists, said business has been good at the store.

However, when asked about sales figures, the official said employees were not allowed to discuss sales. He, however, noted that the store was worthy of the attention it had got in the city.

The source said, “Well, business has been good but we don’t ever discuss our sales. People have been coming to buy variety of things; bread has been doing well and people even come for locust beans.

“When you compare the kind of investment we have put in the place, you will know that it’s worth it. We offer our customers aesthetics and the very best.”

[/s]

here is the latest news as of few days back:

The first day it opened it was like a tourist site, but the Ibadan people have since found their way back to their local markets…lol. Barely a month after the grand opening of Shoprite at Heritage Cocoa Mall, on Oba Adebimpe Road, Dugbe, Ibadan, Oyo State, the retail store has been hit with low patronage. The number of Ibadan people who go there to buy things have reduced drastically. Some residents blame it on the prices of goods at shoprite. While some say it’s cheaper to buy some goods from their local markets than from shoprite, others say though it’s cheaper to buy from shoprite than the stores in their neighborhood, the difference isn’t much and the transport fare to go to shoprite and back isn’t worth it, so they stick to shops in their area.

The most patronized commodity at shoprite Ibadan is the freshly baked bread, everything else na manage…:-) Though people go there a lot on the weekends…just to look around.

http://9jaolofofo.com.ng/low-patronage-hits-newly-opened-ibadan-shoprite/

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (Reply)

At Last, President Buhari’s Cabinet List Out Wednesday - ThisDay / First Nigerian-Made Ventilator To Be Unveiled By Ogbonnaya Onu, Today / Herman Mashaba: No Need To Apologise To Nigeria - Mayor Of Johannesburg Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.