Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,930 members, 7,952,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:43 PM

Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? (12955 Views)

For The Guys : Do Any Of You NOT Want Children? / Am I Wrong To Want To Marry A Rich Man? / What If I Don't Want Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by doingreat(m): 11:39pm On Aug 06, 2013
tawa89: Raising a child to become a responsible Adult contributing positively to his/her society is the true test of a Woman's Intelligence.
most intelligent comment on an intelligent thread
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by 4Play(m): 12:01am On Aug 07, 2013
tawa89: Raising a child to become a responsible Adult contributing positively to his/her society is the true test of a Woman's Intelligence.

This is a view that is more in accord with those who think women's role on earth is as mere breeders. Presumably, barren women or women who choose not to have children are women whose intelligence are untested.

I suppose Chimamanda Adichie hasn't proven she's intelligent until she starts pumping out babies and raises them to adulthood. . . till then, the jury is out on whether she has any brains.

4 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by DBestDoc(f): 12:41am On Aug 07, 2013
Lordlexy: Probably, that's your definition and concept. Marriage that seeks not to procreate eventualy leads to an unhappy home. Why must one swallow everything hook, line and sinker from the suppose westerners. If you detest having kids, then avoid intimacy. Something psychological must be very wrong with you ppl. First, it was the feminist rubbish, and now this gibberish. Pls, we have important things to worry about in Africa to be bothered with some imported ideology of some confused women. Intelligence demands that a woman managed her family and career effectively.

Someone whose ideas do not agree with yours automatically qualifies for a psycho.. sad. so it means you have intimacy with your wife only when you want to make babies right?(going by what you wrote up there)and that is practically why you got married.

If marriage to you is all about having kids, i say goodluck to you.My ideas must not agree with yours.
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by victorD3: 12:51am On Aug 07, 2013
okpara ugo:

Money and more money. Being able to provide for your family. Being able to keep a woman under you. A man who marries and divorces a woman isnt intelligent...

Thats the true test of a man's intelligence...

You mean Prof Soyinka with 3 divorces?

3 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 1:47am On Aug 07, 2013
End of oyinbo, the rise of the next people power in oyinbo country: arabs vs african which shall dominate immigration?
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 3:01am On Aug 07, 2013
Sisi_Kill: Rotflmao! I just put up a thread about the need for condom. Simply put - KIDS ARE A PAIN!!! cheesy cheesy

@ Topic
I think deep down, if the pressure of meeting societal "standards" and "expectations" where to be lifted, many people won't have children. Somehow, we have been convinced that not having kids makes one selfish....when the truth is, sometimes the opposite is the case and you are saving a child from living a miserable life?

I say people should be honest with themselves, contrary to what we have been told...not everyone is maternal or paternal. If you know you don't have what it takes to be a good, emotional available parent...do the world a favor and pack up shop.

smiley Absolutely ! Children are a pleasure and can change ones life dramatically.
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by 99cent: 3:51am On Aug 07, 2013
I think what the OP probably meant to say is "educated women" instead of "intelligent women"
anyway, in my opinion educated women tend to have less children. while uneducated women will tend to have more children. not because they WANT more children or less children but simply because of their life circumstances.

ex. who do u think is going to have more children, a stay at home woman in a third world country who married at age 21 versus a woman who married after she got her PhD and now works professionally 40 hrs a week. Clearly the stay at home young wife will have more kids. even if she doesn't want them. How many women do u know with 6 kids who complain all d time. esp in the villages in naija. LOL lack of access to family planning, education, financial dependence on a husband or man etc are what lead to high fertility rates in third world countries.
developed countries have the opposite problem. women simply don't want a lot of kids. they choose career and professional development/education over raising kids and have more control over their wombs and fertility as well as financial independence and control to make these decisions.

1 Like

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by 99cent: 4:00am On Aug 07, 2013
4 Play:

This is a view that is more in accord with those who think women's role on earth is as mere breeders. Presumably, barren women or women who choose not to have children are women whose intelligence are untested.

I suppose Chimamanda Adichie hasn't proven she's intelligent until she starts pumping out babies and raises them to adulthood. . . till then, the jury is out on whether she has any brains.

true talk.
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by trolling(m): 4:13am On Aug 07, 2013
spongeback: I think every intelligent woman would love to have a family what is the point of having the highest IQ and going to an empty house everybody needs somebody. sad
u right n man or woman is an island
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Habidab: 5:01am On Aug 07, 2013
coogar:

i thought satoshi kanazawa was sacked when his findings showed black women are less attractive than their counterparts - seems he's back again with his controversial researches.....

if intelligent women are less likely to have kids then may God save our planet cos after a while, only the less intelligent ones would populate the earth with their progenies. i hope to be in a better place by then....
My question thus,how did she come to this world in the first place if thats how her father and Mother had reasoned together like dat?.well she is missing alot of things sha
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Wsdm: 6:31am On Aug 07, 2013
makahlj2: oyinbos are breeding themselves out of existence
... And very soon their land will be taken over by others. How ill human thinks.
Those calling mothers unintelligent are insulting their mother.
Go and commit suicide so as to make your mother intelligent.
You can only tell women to regulate the number of children they give birth to base on economic and health status. If not, i don't understand how a woman becomes intelligent by remaining childless and playing with pets who are themselves delivered by an 'animal mothers'.

3 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by vanitty: 6:32am On Aug 07, 2013
Awwwww this topic takes me back to my past. This story reminds me of my director where i used to work. Worked very closely with her. Very intelligent and educated woman she is, has all this titles behind her name, also very dedicated to her job and why won't she, that is all she has and holidays, she travels the world all by herself.

Never got married, never had children. Too busy she was. Now time came for her to retire and it just saddened me. What was she going to do now?! Very inquisitive she was, always asking about your family, your life. I definitely sense some regret behind that her decision.

Thankfully, although she retired, the organisation kept her on as a consultant working twice a week.

Now back to the question, I doubt you can quantify intelligence based on procreation.

2 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by pweetymama(f): 6:33am On Aug 07, 2013
Every woman has a foresight of what they want in life.I decided to get married young,have 2 kids and face my career as my kids are growing and that does not reduce my IQ or focus in life one bit.its all about priorities and how u have decided to place them.

2 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by biolabee(m): 6:52am On Aug 07, 2013
Ol boy... You harsh oo

Those pets are like children to these women 'intelligentsia'.
Some of these pets actually get inheritance too

Wsdm:
... And very soon their land will be taken over by others. How ill human thinks.
Those calling mothers unintelligent are insulting their mother.
Go and commit suicide so as to make your mother intelligent.
You can only tell women to regulate the number of children they give birth to base on economic and health status. If not, i don't understand how a woman becomes intelligent by remaining childless and playing with pets who are themselves delivered by an 'animal mothers'.

I don't think there's a correlation myself
But I believe as dami said it helps in judging one's capacity _ time, finances better hence the reduction

For those here calling people procreating stewpid, I'm sure their parents were educated in the 60s overseas and still had 4 - 7 kids, guess they know what their own parents are?

Ish

Now back to the question, I doubt you can quantify intelligence based on procreation.

1 Like

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by DEGREE2466(m): 6:53am On Aug 07, 2013
Having no kids at all is not good enough but having more than your resources can carter for is too bad! Why would you bring a child to the world and allow him to suffer? Please cut your coat according to your shirt is applicable here! Too many children does not mean a happy family.

Last bullet: Bite the much you can chew!?!

2 Likes

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 07, 2013
bukatyne:

Funny and what is the true test od a man's intelligence?

Good question!
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by tsmith(f): 8:45am On Aug 07, 2013
I wouldn't say intelligent women, but rather career driven or successful women may preferably not want kids.

I have seen some housewives display great level of intelligence, and would hate to under estimate their intelligence just because they are mothers or not financial contributors to the household.
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 07, 2013
tsmith: I wouldn't say intelligent women, but rather career driven or successful women may preferably not want kids.

I have seen some housewives display great level of intelligence, and would hate to under estimate their intelligence just because they are mothers or not financial contributors to the household.
Gbam
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 07, 2013
you don't have to have kids u can always adopt a kid or get a dog.. tongue Raising a child is no joke, if you not prepared u don't need to be very intelligent to know u shouldn't have kids. undecided
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by NovusHomo(m): 4:31pm On Aug 07, 2013
I would rather pose the question in a different way: are women who have children not intelligent, or less intelligent than those who don't? If that is so, then it will include the mothers of those researchers who made this discovery. Just saying grin grin grin
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by trolling(m): 7:35pm On Aug 07, 2013
vanitty: Awwwww this topic takes me back to my past. This story reminds me of my director where i used to work. Worked very closely with her. Very intelligent and educated woman she is, has all this titles behind her name, also very dedicated to her job and why won't she, that is all she has and holidays, she travels the world all by herself.

Never got married, never had children. Too busy she was. Now time came for her to retire and it just saddened me. What was she going to do now?! Very inquisitive she was, always asking about your family, your life. I definitely sense some regret behind that her decision.

Thankfully, although she retired, the organisation kept her on as a consultant working twice a week.

I had someone following the same path, I told her one of the things you can give to a man or a woman is a good family.. her response was... Really? She's also inquisitive about people's life I, that is what being self centered causes, it's all about her
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 07, 2013
When growing up and i heard women refusing to have children, i thought them to be selfish or vain.

Fast forward many years with children of my own, and facing more realities of life, i withdrew that thought and rather praised them for knowing who they, what they are capable of and knowing their limits. To me they are doing the society a favor.

What i would disagree with this post is the part of 'intelligence'. Giving birth or wanting children is not a criteria to judge one's IQ Or intelligence. Everybody fulfillment differs.
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by TV01(m): 9:32pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ibhamen: What i would disagree with this post is the part of 'intelligence'. Giving birth or wanting children is not a criteria to judge one's IQ Or intelligence. Everybody fulfillment differs.

I totally agree here.

This kind of poser makes it sound like the "intelligence bar" for women is very low. It does them no favours and at best is slightly patronising.

TV
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Aug 07, 2013

1 Like

Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by chumakk: 11:49pm On Aug 07, 2013
when some people are so proud they will called it intelligence. endtime message said, seven ladies will hold one man to marry them...
Re: Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? by shadowhunter15(f): 5:49am On Aug 08, 2013
I wouldn't necessarily say that intelligent women don't want to have kids. More like career driven women or people who know they can't handle it. I'm still a teen and even I know I won't be having children. I can already tell I can't handle it by how stressed my parents are about me and my sisters right now. I pity them lol..we're on in our puberty/teenage stages right now D:
People who don't want kids because they know they aren't cut for it are doing a favor for society.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Family Petitions FG Over Polish Man’s Cremation Of Nigerian Wife / Which Washing Machine Should I Go For Budget Of 45 - 55k / Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.