Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,295 members, 7,839,456 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt (2424 Views)

Killing Of 5 Fulani’s In Abia: Abuja DSS Lied Says Abia State Government / SSS Uncovers Stockpiles Of Arms, Ammunition In Akwa Ibom Govt House-PremiumTimes / Fashola Replies Peter Obi Over Alleged Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by luvinhubby(m): 10:48am On Aug 06, 2013
-- Why was 67 persons dumped & LASG claimed 14?

-- Why were they dumped at 3.00 a.m. without any form of handover? ( LASG shud have proudly conducted a public handover if the victims were rehabilitated as they said as part of Fasholas achievements).

-- Can LASG conduct a press/NGO tour of of it's so called skills acquisition centre in Ikorodu.

-- Were the so called deportees "destitutes" or unfortunate Nigerians from the Eastern region struggling to earn a living.

-- Is it acceptable, morally & legally to move a person against his will in a country of his citizenship.

-- Why was denial the initial response of LASG to the deportation issue.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by Longeria(m): 11:23am On Aug 06, 2013
software man:
INDULGE IN AS MUCH PERSECUTION PROGANDA AS YOU WANT BUT THE FACT REMAINS THAT AKWA IBOM GOVERNMENT SUBSCRIBES TO THE TENET THAT THE BEST WAY TO REHABILITATING DESTITUTES IS TO REUNITE THEM CLOSE TO THEIR FAMILIES.
THE NUMBER DOES NOT MATTER HERE BECAUSE IF SIXTY LAGOSIANS HAD BEEN INVOLVED THEY WOULD HAVE STILL ASK LAGOS TO COME AND PPICK THEM UP.
YOU SEE NOTHING WRONG R STATE GOVT IGNORING TO DO ANYTHING ABOIT THE DESTITUTE S FOR FOUR GOOD MONTHS. YOU WILL NOT AGREE THAT YOUR GOVT DEMONSTRATED AND UTTER CALLOUSNESS TO ITS OWN PEOPLE BUT WOULD RATHER SHOUT YOUR SELF HOARSE IN A SITUATION WHERE GENUINE MISTAKES MIGHT HAVE BEEN MADE BY THE SOCIAL WORKERS YOU CARRIED OUT THE RELOCATION. THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE REACTED IMMATURELY TO THE FACT NO ONE FROM ANAMBRA WAS THERE FOR THE HANDOVER. THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE HUMANE DESPITE THE OBVIOUS INCOMPETENCE OF THE ANAMBRA STATE GOVT.
THE RETATION CEMTE IN IKORODU IS STILL THE BEST AND BETTER FUNDED REHABILITATION CENTER IN COUNTRY TODAY. I KNOW YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE AND DO NOT CARE TO HAVE ONE IN ANAMNRA STATE SO I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WILL CALL IT A DETENTION CENTER.
YOUR SUGGESTION THAT THEY DESTITUTES SHOULD BE DRIVEN BACK TO THE STREETS IS WHAT YOUR GOVERNMENT DOES OR ELSE I WOULD HAVE ADVISED THAT YOU PROFFER YOUR ASSISINE ADVICE TO THE TRIBAL DEMAGOGUE IN ANAMBRA GOVT HOUSE.
And Fashola did perfectly well by reuniting them with their families at their family compound at river Niger head bridge, at 2am. Thanks for your matured explanation.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by solomon111(m): 11:36am On Aug 06, 2013
The SS has gotten involved.
Just like i wanted.

2 Likes

Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by Akainzo(m): 11:58am On Aug 06, 2013
Longeria: And Fashola did perfectly well by reuniting them with their families at their family compound at river Niger head bridge, at 2am. Thanks for your matured explanation.

Agreed that was not the best thing to do by those social workers, however, where was the Anambra State govt for 3 months?

Read the press statement very well, when contacted, Lagos STate govt came to pick up the 2 people. So they came because of 2, yet ANSG would not even move because of 14 (70, 79, 35, etc). Haba!
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by softwareman(m): 12:11pm On Aug 06, 2013
Longeria: And Fashola did perfectly well by reuniting them with their families at their family compound at river Niger head bridge, at 2am. Thanks for your matured explanation.
YOU OBVIOUSLY DID NOT READ WHAT I WROTE OR ELSE YOU WOULD HAVE NOTICED THE PART ON THE MISTAKES THAT WERE MADE.. ON MY PART I NOTICED THAT YOU WERE TRYING TO IMPLY THAT FASHOLA ACTUALLY DROVE THE TRANSPORT THAT CONVEYED THOSE DESTITUTES AND DUMP THEM UNDER THE BRIDGE. BUT DONT YOU THINK THAT IF YOUR GOVT HAD DONE WHAT THE LAGOS STATE GOVT DID IN THE CASE OF AKWA IBOM WE WOULD NOT BE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION?. ADMIT IT, YOUR GOVERNMENT DOES NOT CARE FOR HIS PEOPLE. PERIOD. EITHER THAT , OR THERE IS AN ULTERIOR MOTIVE YOU GUYS ARE NOT YET LETTING ON.
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by dridowu: 1:10pm On Aug 06, 2013
owolabifunke14: What's the dif btw sending them home for medics and deportation? Doctors and food go finish for uyo becox of 2 lagosians?
food no dy akwa ibom ooooooooooooooooon , so food go finish if dos 2 remain
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by emiye(m): 1:32pm On Aug 06, 2013
But this document states otherwise, the heading claimed "repatriation", it could have well been "deportation"

Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by ojubi(m): 2:59pm On Aug 06, 2013
I am a certified psychiatric nurse.

In psychiatric, following recovery, trial leave must be done in a patients pre psychotic environment.
It is practice to encourage total memory recovery and aiding societal reintergration.
What Akwaibom state did is the standard practice anywhere in the world.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by PointB: 3:19pm On Aug 06, 2013
ojubi: I am a certified psychiatric nurse.

In psychiatric, following recovery, trial leave must be done in a patients pre psychotic environment.
It is practice to encourage total memory recovery and aiding societal reintergration.

Please say it [b]LOUDER [/b]so that the ethnically bigoted elements , defending Lagos maltreatment of unfortunate citizens will learn how things are done in civilised world.
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by emiye(m): 3:29pm On Aug 06, 2013
PointB:

Please say it LOUDER [/b]so that the ethnically bigoted elements , defending Lagos maltreatment of unfortunate citizens will learn how things are done in civilised world.

But the subject of the said letter i have attached states" Repatriation of Lunatics, [b] Beggars
and Destitutes to their home state".

Akwa ibom must have been repatriating or deporting beggars and destitutes to their home states.
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by PointB: 3:29pm On Aug 06, 2013
Akainzo:

Agreed that was not the best thing to do by those social workers, however, where was the Anambra State govt for 3 months?

Read the press statement very well, when contacted, Lagos STate govt came to pick up the 2 people. So they came because of 2, yet ANSG would not even move because of 14 (70, 79, 35, etc). Haba!

So because Anambra state did not turn-up to inspect/receive those kidnapped by Lagos State (for whatever reason) then Lagos State is justified in maltreating (and starving) them to the point of dumping them in the dead of the night at Onitsha bridgehead? Are you human at all?
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by PointB: 3:32pm On Aug 06, 2013
emiye:

But the subject of the said letter i have attached states" Repatriation of Lunatics, Beggars and Destitutes to their home state".

Akwa ibom must have been repatriating or deporting beggars and destitutes to their home states.

If Akwa Ibom or Anambra repatriate destitute/beggar it is wrong and unconstitutional; and in the same way, it is criminal, evil and wickedness to dump them in the middle of nowhere in the dead of the night!
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by emiye(m): 3:35pm On Aug 06, 2013
PointB:

If Akwa Ibom or Anambra repatriate destitute/beggar it is wrong and unconstitutional; and in the same way, it is criminal, evil and wickedness to dump them in the middle of nowhere in the dead of the night!

Dont you think those destitute and beggars are better of with their family's for social re integration ?

I see you quote a post and acknowleging that is how things are done in civilised world.

Are you sure your criticisms are of true intent or .....?
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by PointB: 3:43pm On Aug 06, 2013
emiye:

Dont you think those destitute and beggars are better of with their family's for social re integration ?

I see you quote a post and acknowleging that is how things are done in civilised world.

Are you sure your criticisms are of true intent or .....?

What if they have no relatives, or are unwilling to relocate for sundry reason? Let's assume someone who became a Nigeria citizen by naturalisation, birth etc becomes destitute in Nigeria, where do you deport such individual to?
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by softwareman(m): 5:37pm On Aug 06, 2013
PointB:

What if they have no relatives, or are unwilling to relocate for sundry reason? Let's assume someone who became a Nigeria citizen by naturalisation, birth etc becomes destitute in Nigeria, where do you deport such individual to?
SO HAVE YOU NOW AGREED THAT THE POLICY OF RELOCATING IS NOT PECULIAR TO LAGOS STATE AND THE TRIBE OF THE DESTITUTE S IS NOT PECULIARLY IGBOS? SO NOW COME LET'S REASON TOGETHER.
LET US ASK OURSELVES THESE QUESTIONS.
IF YOU HEAD A SOCIAL WELFARE DEPARTMENT HOW WOULD YOU MANAGE THE PROBLEM OF DESTITUTE S IN OUR URBAN CITIES.WOULD YOU LEAVE THEM TO KEEP ROAMING THE STREETS?
AND IF YOU HAVE A PROGRAM OF REHABILITATION , WHAT WOULD YOU DO AFTER THEY HAVE UNDERGONE REHABILITATION FOR SOME TIME?
AND SINCE MOST REHABILITATION CENTERS HAVE LIMITED FACILITIES WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO DE-CONGEST FOR NEW ONES.?
LASTLY IF YOU SAY RELOCATION CLOSE TO FAMILY IS WRONG, CAN YOU SUGGEST A MORE EFFECTIVE POST REHABILITATION PROGRAM?
I AGREE THE SOCIAL WORKERS DID NOT ACT PROFESSIONALLY BY ABANDONING THOSE PEOPLE IN THE DEAD OF THE NIGHT UNDER THE BRIDGE IF TRULLY THEY DID, BUT THE FAULTY IMPLEMENTATION OF A POLICY DOES NOT NEGATE ITS EFFECTIVENESS.
IT SEEMS TO ME YOU REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW EMOTIONAL AND COMPLEX THIS ISSUE IS TO MANAGE IN REAL TERMS.
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by softwareman(m): 6:15pm On Aug 06, 2013
ojubi: I am a certified psychiatric nurse.

HONESTLY YOU ARE STATING WHAT YOU READ IN BOOKS, BUT LIKE ANY EXPERIENCED SOCIAL WORKER WILL TELL YOU IT IS COMPLETELY IMPRACTICABLE IN OUR ENVIRONMENT. I ALSO SEE THAT YOU ARE ALREADY JUDGING WHAT AKWA IBOM ACTUALLY DOES BASED ON A PRESS RELEASE BY A CIVIL SERVANT.
THE REALITY IS THIS:
THE FACILITIES CAPACITY IS LIMITED SO YOU NEED TO MAKE ROOM FOR MORE SERIOUS CASES.
THE KIND OF PERSONAL ATTENTION THAT AIDS MEMORY RECOVERY IS MOST LIKELY PROVIDED IN A FAMILY ENVIRONMENT, NOT WHEN A SINGLE NURSE HAS TO DEAL WITH SEVERAL PATIENTS.
LASTLY THE FUNDING IS NEVER ENOUGH SO YOU HAVE TO MAKE DO WITH WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM YOUR BUDGET .
FINALLY, PLEASE NOTICE THE HEADING AND READ THE CONTENT OF THE LETTER AKWA IBOM WROTE THE LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT AND READ BETWEEN THE LINES!
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by antartica(m): 6:21pm On Aug 06, 2013
If it a confirmed case that people are mentally insane,getting intouch with their families to take care of them is a saintly act.But a case of deporting mentally sound destitutes,the homeless and the physically disable for roaming the streets or begging harmlessly in their own country is nazi like.
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by softwareman(m): 6:29pm On Aug 06, 2013
PointB:

Please say it [b]LOUDER [/b]so that the ethnically bigoted elements , defending Lagos maltreatment of unfortunate citizens will learn how things are done in civilised world.
WE SHOULD ALSO SHOUT IT EVEN LOUDER TO THE ETHINICALLY BIGOTED VICTIM PLAYING ELEMENTS THAT WHAT ALL THESE HAS PROVEN IS THAT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TRIBE AND NOR TARGETED AT ANY PARTICULAR TRIBE AND IS NOT A PROGRAM INITIATED BY ANY PARTICULAR TRIBE TO TARGET ANY PARTICULAR TRIBE!
IT IS ALSO NOT ABOUT THE POLITICS OF A COMING ELECTION IN A PARTICULAR STATE.
WE SHOULD ALSO SHOUT IT LOUD AND CLEAR THAT BEHAVOURAL SCIENTIST HAVE FOUND THAT IT IS THE REAL ETHINICALLY BIGOTED THAT ARE QUICK TO ACCUSE OTHERS OF SAME.
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by softwareman(m): 6:38pm On Aug 06, 2013
PointB:

So because Anambra state did not turn-up to inspect/receive those kidnapped by Lagos State (for whatever reason) then Lagos State is justified in maltreating (and starving) them to the point of dumping them in the dead of the night at Onitsha bridgehead? Are you human at all?

NO, WE DID NOT SAY THEY ARE JUSTIFIED. AND MOST POSTERS HERE INCLUDING THE FELLOW YOU ARE RESPONDING TO HAS ADMITTED AS MUCH.WHAT IS PUZZLING IS THAT YOU SEEMS TO WANT TO - FOR OBVIOUS REASON- COMPLETELY IGNORE THE CAUSE AND MAJOR ON THE EFFECT.
SUMMARY: IF THE ANAMBRA STATE GOVT HAS ACTED THE WAY THE LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT DID IN THE AKWA IBOM CASE, THE UNFORTUNATE AND REGRETABLE INCIDENCE OF DUMPING AT 3 AM AND UNDER THE BRIDGE WOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN PLACE.
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by PointB: 6:43pm On Aug 06, 2013
software man:
SO HAVE YOU NOW AGREED THAT THE POLICY OF RELOCATING IS NOT PECULIAR TO LAGOS STATE AND THE TRIBE OF THE DESTITUTE S IS NOT PECULIARLY IGBOS? SO NOW COME LET'S REASON TOGETHER.
LET US ASK OURSELVES THESE QUESTIONS.
IF YOU HEAD A SOCIAL WELFARE DEPARTMENT HOW WOULD YOU MANAGE THE PROBLEM OF DESTITUTE S IN OUR INNER CITIES.WOULD YOU LEAVE THEM TO KEEP ROAMING THE STREETS?
AND IF YOU HAVE A PROGRAM OF REHABILITATION , WHAT WOULD YOU DO AFTER THEY HAVE UNDERGONE REHABILITATION FOR SOME TIME?
AND SINCE MOST REHABILITATION CENTERS HAVE LIMITED FACILITIES WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO DE-CONGEST FOR NEW ONES.?
LASTLY IF YOU SAY RELOCATION CLOSE TO FAMILY IS WRONG, CAN YOU SUGGEST A MORE EFFECTIVE POST REHABILITATION PROGRAM?
I AGREE THE SOCIAL WORKERS DID NOT ACT PROFESSIONALLY BY ABANDONING THOSE PEOPLE IN THE DEAD OF THE NIGHT, BUT TO ME THE FAULTY IMPLEMENTATION OF A POLICY DOES NOT NEGATE ITS EFFECTIVENESS.
IT SEEMS TO ME YOU REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW EMOTIONAL AND COMPLEX THIS ISSUE IS TO MANAGE IN REAL TERMS.

First of, please learn how to type in online forum. All caps beside being difficult to read, is also consider as shouting.

Now one the issue you raised. Let me us be clear on one thing. Nigeria is a Federal Republic with constitution that allows for freedom of movement and residence. The issue of destitution need to be properly defined before theorizing on how to deal with it. Cases where people are picked randomly on the street for loitering, hawking, soliciting does not imply destitution. Fashola failed WAEC and would have become a mechanic as we speak, and perhaps would have been rounded up by KAI, as destitute, on his from Ladipo Market after buying spare parts from an Igboman, to fix a car in Mile 2. But you and I know that Mechanics are not destitute - the provide valuable service, even though they may appear dirty and unkempt (**wonders how Fashola would look like as a Mechanic**). As a matter of fact, not all beggars can be even be termed destitute - some see begging as profitable profession, and may be encouraged by religious believes. Of course I do not subscribe to this way of life.

Destitute define those without the basic necessities of life; not having and synonym such as needy - indigent - poor - necessitous - penurious also defines destitution. It is a known fact that several (perhaps majority) Nigerians live below the poverty line - falling in the category of destitution. Should every Nigerian now be sent to 'rehabilitation' centers? The issue of re-integration with their family is also a none starter if the relatives are also indigents - destitutes.

Basically, the responsibility lies in government at every level providing creative solution, and opportunity for citizens to lift themselves out of poverty - destitution. It certainly not by carting them away in trucks and forcefully rehabilitating, deporting re-integrating them. It also lies in citizens providing basic support for family members and relatives within the best of their ability. But ultimately moving destitute across state borders in Nigerian does not eliminate the problem, it simple transfer the responsibility for their from one state to the others. Destitutes are not criminals; they are human beings like you and I, only a little less fortunate! We MUST treat them with respect, dignity and love.
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by softwareman(m): 6:52pm On Aug 06, 2013
antartica: If it a confirmed case that people are mentally insane,getting intouch with their families to take care of them is a saintly act.But a case of deporting mentally sound destitutes,the homeless and the physically disable for roaming the streets or begging harmlessly in their own country is nazi like.

RE-INTEGRATING PEOPLE WITH THEIR FAMILIES IS NAZI-LIKE?!!LOOK NO ONE SLEEPS UNDER THE BRIDGE AND BEG IF THEY ARE STILL SOCIALLY FUNCTIONAL.THEY ARE ALSO AT RISK TO THEMSELVES AND THE SOCIETY AT LARGE.YOU DONT UNDERSTAND HOW COMPLEX THE ISSUE IS AND YOU ARE PROBABLY STAYING ABROAD OR IN COUNTRIES WHERE THERE IS A SOCIAL SECURITY SYSTEM IN PLACE.
THE SOCIAL SECURITY SYSTEM WE HAVE IN NIGERIA IS THE EXTENDED FAMILY SYSTEM.WHEN YOU ARE THE ONE THAT HAS TO GRAPPLE WITH ISSUES LIKE THIS IN REAL TERMS, YOU WILL QUICKLY FOUND OUT THAT SOME OF THE IDEALISTIC NOTIONS YOU HAVE IS NOT PRACTICABLE.
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by softwareman(m): 7:01pm On Aug 06, 2013
PointB:

SO IT IS NOT A TRIBAL OR POLITICAL MATTER. QED.
HOW IS IT?
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by softwareman(m): 7:42pm On Aug 06, 2013
PointB:

First of, please learn how to type in online forum. All caps beside being difficult to read, is also consider as shouting.

Now one the issue you raised. Let me us be clear on one thing. Nigeria is a Federal Republic with constitution that allows for freedom of movement and residence. The issue of destitution need to be properly defined before theorizing on how to deal with it. Cases where people are picked randomly on the street for loitering, hawking, soliciting does not imply destitution. Fashola failed WAEC and would have become a mechanic as we speak, and perhaps would have been rounded up by KAI, as destitute, on his from Ladipo Market after buying spare parts from an Igboman, to fix a car in Mile 2. But you and I know that Mechanics are not destitute - the provide valuable service, even though they may appear dirty and unkempt (**wonders how Fashola would look like as a Mechanic**). As a matter of fact, not all beggars can be even be termed destitute - some see begging as profitable profession, and may be encouraged by religious believes. Of course I do not subscribe to this way of life.

Destitute define those without the basic necessities of life; not having and synonym such as needy - indigent - poor - necessitous - penurious also defines destitution. It is a known fact that several (perhaps majority) Nigerians live below the poverty line - falling in the category of destitution. Should every Nigerian now be sent to 'rehabilitation' centers? The issue of re-integration with their family is also a none starter if the relatives are also indigents - destitutes.

Basically, the responsibility lies in government at every level providing creative solution, and opportunity for citizens to lift themselves out of poverty - destitution. It certainly not by carting them away in trucks and forcefully rehabilitating, deporting re-integrating them. It also lies in citizens providing basic support for family members and relatives within the best of their ability. But ultimately moving destitute across state borders in Nigerian does not eliminate the problem, it simple transfer the responsibility for their from one state to the others. Destitutes are not criminals; they are human beings like you and I, only a little less fortunate! We MUST treat them with respect, dignity and love.
FIRST, BECAUSE I SEND THESE MESSAGES ON MY IPAD, I FOUND THAT USING ALL CAPS IS MOST CONVENIENT.PLEASE FORGIVE ME AND ACCEPT ME FOR IT FOR NOW. ALSO BE ASSURED AM NOT SHOUTING. WE ARE JUST DISCUSSING.
HERE IS MY RESPONSE
NIGERIA IS ALSO A COUNTRY WITH THE RULE OF LAW OR ELSE FREEDOM WOULD LEAD TO ANARCHY.
UNLESS WE WANT TO DECEIVE OURSELVES, OR WE WANT TO SOUND NAIVELY IDEALISTIC, GOVERNMENT CANNOT LIFT EVERY CITIZEN OUT OF POVERTY AND LIKE YOU RIGHTLY POINTED OUT THE BASIC SOCIAL SECURITY SYSTEM WE HAVE IN OUR CULTURE IS THE EXTENDED FAMILY SYSTEM. IT IS ALSO THE SAFETY NET. I THINK WE SHOULD START BY PROPERLY UNDERSTANDING WHAT THE PROPER DEFINITION OF WHO IS A DESTITUTES IN THE CONTEXT OF NIGERIA'S SOCIAL CONTEXT. IT IS REALLY NOT ABOUT BEING POOR. A DESITUTES IS ONE WHO AS A RESULT OF MENTAL STATE IS NO LONGER IN A POSITION TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS OWN ACTIONS.
IN THAT CASE,
THE BEST WAY TO TREAT A DESTITUTES WITH RESPECT IS TO FIRST REMOVE. THEN REHABILITATE AND FINALLY RE-INTERGRATE.
IN PRACTICAL TERMS, IT IS NOT AS EASY IT SEEMS. WHILE I CAN UNDERSTAND ALL THE SOCIETAL IDEALS YOU ENUMERATED ABOVE, I MUST SAY I AM NOW EVEN CONVINCED THAT YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW COMPLEX THIS MATTER IS IN PRACTICAL TERMS.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by gohome: 10:22pm On Aug 06, 2013
Culled from another thread

It will be difficult to ''judge" in this case because we do not know what the FACTS are. Until be put forward the facts, we will continue to go in circles.

I will go ahead and state as facFts what we have heard from the media.

1. 14 persons were re united with their family - Fashola
2. 69 persons were deported - LASG
3. 72 person were dumped at 3 am at upper Iweka under bridge - Anambra Red cross
4. I was arrested some month back on my way to the shop - Victim

Based on the above, I will make my decision based on principle and not constitutional law.

Bearing in mind that the so called destitute have flesh and blood, if I was in charge of Lagos State What will I do to reunite a human being with his family? Get in contact with the family and hand over the said person. It will be foolish for me to use tax payers money, move people all the way from Lagos to Anambra only for them to find their way back. Unless these 'destitute '' agreed to go back home. And if they agreed? Is upper Iweka home? If UK deports Nigerians from their country, they don't just dump them in Ghana or Mali and expect them to find their way to Nigeria, after all they are all black. They take this Nigerians to Lagos or Abuja or PH or Kano and handover to the authorities. Based on Principle, dumping 14, 69, 72 or even 1 person is wrong on so many levels.

Another question that bothers me what if their families are resident of Lagos? Was it put to the public to come and identify these destitute before they were deported. I know a lot of people that do not have relatives in their state of origin. What if they are orphans ? What if their parents are also destitute?

Again, some of the destitute have accused Lagos state of maltreatment . My question is who confirmed these people destitute? What laws were used to tag them? What if a bigot (TuTsi and Hutu comes to mind) Out of hatred decides to tag someone a destitute? Using his own criteria ? Remember what the Nazis did to the Jews?

In conclusion, we should seek to get the facts right and stop playing politics with a very sensitive issue like this.

Destitute today, Billionaire tomo, inventor tomorrow , president tomorrow.
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 06, 2013
Honestly, Point B and hislike-minded ilks nor get talk but they keep throwing gibberish all over the place.

Pointers you need:

If Gov Obi had kept up correspondence and owned up to his responsibility these people wouldn't have been dumped off in the dead of the night (very risky/unsafe).

Regardless of how AIbom wants to paint it, they still 'deported' Lagosians,

Other states and even FCT have done this same thing, why is that of LASG making you lose sleep and drooling over your keyboards?

The only contention here is being dropped off under the bridge at 3AM which the Obi guy should also take some blame for. As regards detention camp, torture, being arrested at gun-point - these are all speculations and claims till they are proven, finito!
Re: Akwa Ibom 'deportation Of Non Indigenes', Joe Igbokwe Lied, Says Akwa Ibom Govt by emiye(m): 11:08am On Aug 07, 2013
PointB:

What if ?!!!! Every one has a root, 99.9999% of the time,people have relatives in their state of origin.

That someone is poor doesn't necessarily make one a destitute.

What other better way to identify a destitute than someone who was in a rehabilitation camp for months, and not even a single soul sought to look out for him/her from his/her immediate surrounding(lagos), It also smirks of gross irresponsibility for the ANSG to receive a notice of destitutes from its state and stay indifferent for 3 months

Action begets reaction, if a family refuse to collect a corpse in a mortuary belonging to it after due notification and a reasonable length of time, Should the mortuary officials decide to bury the corpse in an unmarked grave, they will be justified.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Trouble Brews Among Akwa Ibom Muslims / After Mart Of P I B All Yorubas In Oil Companies In Ss Se Given Quite Notice / Cucumber Breaks Inside UNN Female Student Private Part (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.