Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,922 members, 7,814,102 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (212) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5959604 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (2842) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 06, 2015
sudan airforce mig-29 jets

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:38pm On Aug 06, 2015
two sudanese soldiers standing in front of a T-72 tank

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 06, 2015
Henry240:

Yes it is, infact it is one of the major factors that lead to general growth of South-Africa's Defence industry. Apartheid South-Africa and Rhodesia were considered as European "brotherly" countries, by the Europeans. The Israelis saw South-Africa as a fellow brother-in-arms, as they considered Apartheid South-Africa as been in the same situation as them (surrounded by hostile locals), hence the partnership.

The Portuguese government actively smuggled Super Puma parts and general Helicopter parts for the Apartheid regime. So to come here and claim the growth of South-Africa's defence industry is down to ingenuity is downright ludicrous and absolute rubbish.

When the British left Nigeria in 1960, my Country had a literacy rate of 5% or under, and virtually no infrastructure. This isn't the case for you South-Africans as the settlers arrived the South-African shores to settle there, and not to plunder and leave.

So yes, you having a large defence industry is down to massive european support and having a significant head start.

By the way, Egypt has the largest Defence Industry in Africa, they are already ahead, and the Moroccans and Algerians aren't far behind.
Seems like you are classifying us white South Africans as Europeans, which we most certainly are not! White and Black settlers in SA arrived only a 100 years or so apart, only the Koi San were true inhabitants of SA. Also don't forget the British came here to! 1st and 2nd Boere War, Anglo Zulu War, ring a bell??

Anyway getting back to the point, most of your so called European support vanished during the mid 70s, and thus left us no choice to develop our own weapon systems, even if it meant reverse engineering several European weapons systems , Mirage, Centurion Tank, Puma to distinctly South African systems which we had to maintain ourselves, thus building spares ourselves. Also things like HMDs MRAPs were developed by South Africa before any other country, not to mention at that time(and presently) we were world leaders in the Aerospace industry, developing ATGMs, AAMs, SAMs that the west could only dream of!

The head start your talking about was distinctly down to circumstance, not due to help from Europe.

And lastly NO, Egypt do not have the largest defence industry, in terms of sales and production no African country comes near SA!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 06, 2015
sudan made APC on display

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 06, 2015
sudan aerospace made aircraft trainer

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 06, 2015
SAAF and SAN yesterday at Simonstown:

Image credit: Doug Drysdale

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 06, 2015
Image credit: Doug Drysdale

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:01pm On Aug 06, 2015
jln115:

Seems like you are classifying us white South Africans as Europeans, which we most certainly are not! White and Black settlers in SA arrived only a 100 years or so apart, only the Koi San were true inhabitants of SA. Also don't forget the British came here to! 1st and 2nd Boere War, Anglo Zulu War, ring a bell??

Anyway getting back to the point, most of your so called European support vanished during the mid 70s, and thus left us no choice to develop our own weapon systems, even if it meant reverse engineering several European weapons systems , Mirage, Centurion Tank, Puma to distinctly South African systems which we had to maintain ourselves, thus building spares ourselves. Also things like HMDs MRAPs were developed by South Africa before any other country, not to mention at that time(and presently) we were world leaders in the Aerospace industry, developing ATGMs, AAMs, SAMs that the west could only dream of!

The head start your talking about was distinctly down to circumstance, not due to help from Europe.

And lastly NO, Egypt do not have the largest defence industry, in terms of sales and production no African country comes near SA!

please educate me about what is unique about your ATGM !
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 06, 2015
Sudan army soldiers CQB training

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 06, 2015
Sudanese soldier manning a W85 Heavy machine gun

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:21pm On Aug 06, 2015
sudanese soldier posing in front of WZ551 APC

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 06, 2015
Sudanese Khalifa-1 122mm SP howitzer

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 06, 2015
africaken:
please educate me about what is unique about your ATGM !
Its quite simple mate! Its just better!! In the 80s there was nothing compared to the Ingwe in terms of capability! It had better range, better penetration than anything on the market at that stage, just last week Egypt concluded a contract for Ingwe missiles for their EC635, not bad for a missile designed in the 80s, although it has been upgraded through out the years.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 06, 2015
frumentius:

You mean this graduation ceremony?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py9TPwrHpok

The Instagram page i sourced the video from had a combat air-drop caption to it, including the video of the MRLS firing, hence my caption.

As such it is impossible to conclude that they are infact same video since the original source of the video hasn't changed it's caption/ clarified. So requiring i change the caption seems premature don't you think?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 06, 2015
jln115:

Its quite simple mate! Its just better!! In the 80s there was nothing compared to the Ingwe in terms of capability! It had better range, better penetration than anything on the market at that stage, just last week Egypt concluded a contract for Ingwe missiles for their EC635, not bad for a missile designed in the 80s, although it has been upgraded through out the years.
ingwe is a copy of Israel MAPAT ,which is also a copy of TOW ATGM.Nothing unique in concept with the rest of ATGM's in the world tandem warhead

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:15pm On Aug 06, 2015
africaken:
ingwe is a copy of Israel MAPAT ,which is also a copy of TOW ATGM.Nothing unique in concept with the rest of ATGM's in the world tandem warhead

Dude I never said it was unique, I said it was better, which it is.....If you call it a copy then im going to call every single HMD and MRAP designed a copy of the original South African design!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:15pm On Aug 06, 2015
frumentius:
Our Namibian cousins faced radio shortages when placed under sanctions for joining Zimbabwe in Kabila's fight with Rwanda and Uganda. Did they kvetch and moan, buy inferior products at inflated prices in dodgy deals? No. Being Southern Africans they knuckled down and manufactured their own. Now look at the results:

"Namibian company Sat-Com is manufacturing hundreds of radios for the Namibian Defence Force (NDF) and recently received an export order for several hundred as it markets its range across Africa."
http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40191

I see there is a tactic, subtle jab at Nigeria in your comment. Truth is, I prefer you not mask it.

However, for the sake of clarifications, we aren't moaning/crying, we are only stating the facts as they are and moving along with introducing Nigerian Systems into the Nigerian COIN effort. Some of which are and not limited to the Drones built, IED disposal robots, MI-35 Helicopter parts and diaphragms, Electrolytes and A-109 Surveillance cameras Rocket Pods for our LUH, PDM, up-grade and resuscitation Nigerian Airforce platforms, from Transport planes to Light attack Jets, and introduction of multiple Nigerian Armoured Vehicles and Personal soldier gear.

There is absolutely nothing wrong, in getting equipment to prosecute an urgent effort. It has gotten the job done, it is results that matter, nothing else.

I've attached photos of Nigerian made Drones, and Tactical drones used in COIN, including Nigerian designed and built Armoured vehicles.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 06, 2015
Henry240:

I see there is a tactic, subtle jab at Nigeria in your comment. However, for the sake of clarifications, we aren't moaning/crying, we are only stating the facts as they are and moving along with introducing Nigerian Systems into the Nigerian COIN effort, they are and not limited to the Drones built, IED disposal robots, Rocket Pods for our LUH, PDM, up-grade and resuscitation Nigerian Airforce platforms, from Transport planes to Light attack Jets, and introduction of multiple Nigerian Armoured Vehicles and Personal soldier gear.
How?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 06, 2015
jln115:

Dude I never said it was unique, I said it was better, which it is.....If you call it a copy then im going to call every single HDM and MRAP designed a copy of the original South African design!
if its better tell us how ,is it top attack,greater range,better penetration of armour e.t.c and then give us the link for us to proof what your saying .the truth is your loosing a big chunk of your defence market ,to some of new upcoming weapons manufacturers.consider drone you were in the same league in the 90's with countries like israel,US,Europeans e.t.c but today !
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:32pm On Aug 06, 2015
Henry240:

Yeah that's it, thanks for Identifying the Vehicle. I think it's an Egyptian made Vehicle or from the UAE.

I've always advocated the use of similar Vehicles for COIN in Nigeria, as it affords us the opportunities to note only reduce some of the soft skins we have in service, but to, most importantly patronize/increase the base of the number of local vehicles the military has in it's inventory.

It is gratifying to see the Egyptians using them.
considering how much they have suffered due to IED's in sinai ,they really needed them .they are already in nigeria ,i mean the company here is the link http://www.secproafrica.com/armoured-vehicles.html
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 9:34pm On Aug 06, 2015
jln115:

How?
Did they kvetch and moan, buy inferior products at inflated prices in dodgy deals? No. Being Southern Africans they knuckled down and manufactured their own. Now look at the results:
That is how
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 06, 2015
overhypedsteve:
Did they kvetch and moan, buy inferior products at inflated prices in dodgy deals? No. Being Southern Africans they knuckled down and manufactured their own. Now look at the results:
That is how
Again!!How is that a jab at Nigeria?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 06, 2015
africaken:
if its better tell us how ,is it top attack,greater range,better penetration of armour e.t.c and then give us the link for us to proof what your saying .the truth is your loosing a big chunk of your defence market ,to some of new upcoming weapons manufacturers.consider drone you were in the same league in the 90's with countries like israel,US,Europeans e.t.c but today !
Our defense industry is one of the biggest in the world and has grown steadily since 1994. It was impossible for us to sell weapon systems to other countries before 1994...So what market did we loose when we had none in the first place?

The Ingwe has/had a range of 5km and could penetrate more than a 1000m of RHA, show me any ATGM that had those capabilities in the 80s.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 06, 2015
Frumentius, also attached are photos of a Nigerian Navy Ship, Nigerian Navy Tug boat ( 3rd such delivered to the Nigerian Navy), Nigerian ballistics and tactical webbing and Nigerian made Night-Vision goggles.

So, the willful ignorance you displayed in your allusion that Nigeria moans, kveks, and buys in doggy deals is rather very unfortunate and a complete distortion and fabrication of the facts.

Here are the facts, we have and will continue to build and deploy Nigerian made systems as well as systems from abroad in all our military efforts.

It might be too much to ask you to retract your poorly informed/ignorant comment, but I'll let it slide.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 06, 2015
jln115:

Our defense industry is one of the biggest in the world and has grown steadily since 1994. It was impossible for us to sell weapon systems to other countries before 1994...So what market did we loose when we had none in the first place?

The Ingwe has/had a range of 5km and could penetrate more than a 1000m of RHA, show me any ATGM that had those capabilities in the 80s.
israel MAPAT first revealed in 1984 ,range 6 km and can penetrate 1,200 mm of RHA. the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAPATS
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:11pm On Aug 06, 2015
africaken:
israel MAPAT first revealed in 1984 ,range 6 km and can penetrate 1,200 mm of RHA. the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAPATS
Do you have a other link mate!! I really don't care much what Wikipedia states, as any fvck that has access to the internet can change Wikipedia . Anyway only pre 1990 models of the MAPAT had a 6km range after they upgraded the propulsion system, Also it only had a 30 degree elevation on its traverse system.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:18pm On Aug 06, 2015
jln115:

Do you have a other link mate!! I really don't care much what Wikipedia states, as any fvck that has access to the internet can change Wikipedia .
http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=167
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:20pm On Aug 06, 2015
africaken:
http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=167
only pre 1990 models of the MAPAT had a 6km range after they upgraded the propulsion system, Also it only had a 30 degree elevation on its traverse system.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:38pm On Aug 06, 2015
jln115:

only pre 1990 models of the MAPAT had a 6km range after they upgraded the propulsion system, Also it only had a 30 degree elevation on its traverse system.
even the ingwe has being improved from when it was initial introduced .it has also being claimed that it was offered with iraq EC635 .which was false
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:17pm On Aug 06, 2015
africaken:
even the ingwe has being improved from when it was initial introduced .it has also being claimed that it was offered with iraq EC635 .which was false
Yes I know its been improved through out the years, I specifically provided the rang and penetration of the original ZT3 ingwe not the ZT3A2 ingwe.

As for your other statement: Iraqi EC635 Stand Alone Weapon System, Ingwe contract concluded
http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40159:iraqi-ec635-stand-alone-weapon-system-ingwe-contract-concluded&catid=124:military-helicopters&Itemid=282

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 2:24am On Aug 07, 2015
frumentius:

You mean this graduation ceremony?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py9TPwrHpok

awkward

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 2:36am On Aug 07, 2015
Henry240:

Yes it is, infact it is one of the major factors that lead to general growth of South-Africa's Defence industry. Apartheid South-Africa and Rhodesia were considered as European "brotherly" countries, by the Europeans. The Israelis saw South-Africa as a fellow brother-in-arms, as they considered Apartheid South-Africa as been in the same situation as them (surrounded by hostile locals), hence the partnership.

The Portuguese government actively smuggled Super Puma parts and general Helicopter parts for the Apartheid regime. So to come here and claim the growth of South-Africa's defence industry is down to ingenuity is downright ludicrous and absolute rubbish.

When the British left Nigeria in 1960, my Country had a literacy rate of 5% or under, and virtually no infrastructure. This isn't the case for you South-Africans as the settlers arrived the South-African shores to settle there, and not to plunder and leave.

So yes, you having a large defence industry is down to massive european support and having a significant head start.

By the way, Egypt has the largest Defence Industry in Africa, they are already ahead, and the Moroccans and Algerians aren't far behind.

Henry

As I said, the majority of our defense development is due to local ingenuity.

I listed where we got foreign support - namely in terms of the weaponization of nuclear material, the supply of Ballistic missiles (which managed to then develope to a state in which they were superior to the origional missiles isreal sold us) and the supply of some of Gerald Bulls initial 155mm barrels

Smuggling spare parts for our army (which came from portugal, isreal, the US, Uk, france and germany) has nothing to do with our defence development

Dont try to differentiate between blacks and whites by saying white south africans are europeans, that is racist and insulting. They are South Africans they may be of european ancestry but they are South Africans.

And no, Egypt has the largest defence manufacturing industry - producing licenced variants of european or russian designs

South Africa is among the worlds top 20 arms manufacturers and in terms of being an Original Manufacturer has the largest defense industry in Africa.

Dude, just give South Africa the acknowledgement that it deserves

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) ... (2842) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.