Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,112 members, 7,835,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (215) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5993839 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) ... (2846) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 7:17pm On Aug 07, 2015
patches689:

.... damn that is one sexy platform, some real fire-power!

Would be nice to see it in SANDF colors
The Rooivalk has taken the role of "K-cars".

would be awesome to see another SAAF uparming LUH and use them in that roles at times.

The Oryx was effective in the "small" battle near the Katse dam in Lesotho.

You'll still see influence/presence of such old tactics in Africa today. Perfected during SADC civil wars.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 7:26pm On Aug 07, 2015

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 07, 2015
manufacturing of egyptian air force K-8 two-seat intermediate jet trainer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REQNLLInXOc
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 07, 2015
Sudan soldier manning a W85 heavy machine gun mounted on a pick up

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 07, 2015
gottfried21:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33828244?ocid=socialflow_facebook
Thought the Nigerians would like this cool wink

It is fantastic news. However, a proper funded Government agency and active participation of the Private sector is the only sure way forward.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 07, 2015
After World War II, Egypt experimented with several types of new rifle as a series of leaders bought arms from both Western and Communist nations. They included FN49 rifles from Belgium and vz52 and vz52/57 rifles from Czechoslovakia before a deal was made to license production of a copy of the Swedish AG-42B Ljungman rifle in 8x57. This licensed copy had a few changes from the Swedish model, and was designated the Hakim. Later a smaller variant in 7.62x39 was made, under the name Rasheed (or Rashid), and finally the country adopted the AKM with tooling provided by the Soviet Union. We have examples of all of these rifles, and we're taking a look at them today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1yKY6u_YQg
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 4:15am On Aug 08, 2015
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:26am On Aug 08, 2015
Nigerian Army Gazelle Helicopter and Pilot.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 08, 2015
Henry120:

Henry
I see that you copied and shared on Beegeagle's blog some info I posted here on the SAWS/FLASH systems by Paramount Technologies.
On item 4, I notice you've made a mistake: you've listed Cirit instead of Denel's Ingwe, which is the anti-tank missile that Paramount offers to all Airbus LUH customers when they choose either SAWS or the new FLASH weapons system.

Cirit 70mm guided rockets are not anti-tank missiles. For the benefit of everyone, here's what I listed for the SAWS:
We're talking
1) FN Herstal HMP–400 12.7 mm machine gun;
2) Nexter NC-621 20mm cannon;
3) FZ-233 70 mm rockets (guided rockets optional);
4) Denel’s Ingwe anti-tank missile; and
5) a choice of sensors (FLIR, TV, HUD, HMSD).

In a later post, I mentioned the new FLASH system, which offers CIRIT guided rockets as standard. That means they slot in on Item 3 above, to complement the FZ-233 70mm unguided rockets.

PIC 1: A screen grab of Henry's post on Beegeagle's Blog.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:32pm On Aug 08, 2015
NorthStar BELL 407 MRH Attack / Armed Recon Helicopter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDzOZ-nxW3o
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 08, 2015
A history of South African UAVs.

"In the mid-1970s the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) in Pretoria began work with Kentron on a small light-weight surveillance UAV called the Champion, which first flew in 1977."

http://www.africandefence.net/a-history-of-south-african-uavs/

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 08, 2015
south sudan military display during independence celebrations

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 08, 2015
patches689:

........Second, if Kenya and Co want South Africa in Somalia, then get your leaders to ask. We arent going to jump on-board your Crusade just for fun.

That comment is your own take, not your governments..
AMISOM -stands for African Mission in Somalia - its a mission under the AU banner,it was launched by Africans, for Africans, which am pretty sure every African country (in AU) was asked to contribute troops to help stabilize the most failed state and the most dangerous country (at-least back then) - No one begged Siera-leone (from west Africa) to send troops, because they had seen the effects of conflict and because they had experienced what it feels to have Africans send in peacekeepers that led to the stabilisation of war in Siera-Leone, they felt the need to payback Africans by doing the same for other countries. No one begged Nigeria(another west African) to send its police, they wanted to help....Countries send in troops based on their own political, strategic or geopolitical will, or self interest..... AMISOM mission started years before SA's congo mission and the FIB mission to DRC . If your government wanted to, they would have, your government probably looked at the repercussions of sending active troops while having a significant Somali population and thought it wast worth the risk.....

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 08, 2015
frumentius:

Henry
I see that you copied and shared on Beegeagle's blog some info I posted here on the SAWS/FLASH systems by Paramount Technologies.
On item 4, I notice you've made a mistake: you've listed Cirit instead of Denel's Ingwe, which is the anti-tank missile that Paramount offers to all Airbus LUH customers when they choose either SAWS or the new FLASH weapons system.

Cirit 70mm guided rockets are not anti-tank missiles. For the benefit of everyone, here's what I listed for the SAWS:
We're talking
1) FN Herstal HMP–400 12.7 mm machine gun;
2) Nexter NC-621 20mm cannon;
3) FZ-233 70 mm rockets (guided rockets optional);
4) Denel’s Ingwe anti-tank missile; and
5) a choice of sensors (FLIR, TV, HUD, HMSD).

In a later post, I mentioned the new FLASH system, which offers CIRIT guided rockets as standard. That means they slot in on Item 3 above, to complement the FZ-233 70mm unguided rockets.

PIC 1: A screen grab of Henry's post on Beegeagle's Blog.

Yes, I did. I included the CIRIT because they are cheap and come relatively baggage free. All info sourced from your initial post on improved armaments for LUH.

Anyway, credits have been duly accorded to you.

On the Cirit, it is listed as an Anti-Tank missile, hence my caption.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anti-tank_missiles
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:03pm On Aug 08, 2015
this is the future to remove man from the equation ,then we will be safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwEGEy1gXhs
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:07pm On Aug 08, 2015
Amisom Nigerian Police

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by stillchris: 10:09pm On Aug 08, 2015
I just listened to the Nigerian chief of air staff saying after inspecting the air force as directed by the president, he has forwarded a list of platforms the air force badly needs.

Good days ahead.

10pm @channels news.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:26pm On Aug 08, 2015
Henry120:

Yes, I did. I included the CIRIT because they are cheap and come relatively baggage free. All info sourced from your initial post on improved armaments for LUH.

Anyway, credits have been duly accorded to you.

On the Cirit, it is listed as an Anti-Tank missile, hence my caption.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_anti-tank_missiles

Stop dissembling. A 70mm guided rocket is not an ATGM. I can also pull a link from wiki:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roketsan_Cirit

Far more serious is that the guys at Paramount spend months and millions in R&grin to devise their SAWS and FLASH systems. You buy the system, that the armaments Airbus Helicopters will support, because it's been proven. Now if you decide for some reason you don't want any of the manufacturers and ant to substitute, the integration and tests you'll do yourself. And you'll have to develop your own Mission & Firing Control Computer.

This is basis stuff I expected you to know.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:49am On Aug 09, 2015
frumentius:

Stop dissembling. A 70mm guided rocket is not an ATGM. I can also pull a link from wiki:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roketsan_Cirit

Far more serious is that the guys at Paramount spend months and millions in R&grin to devise their SAWS and FLASH systems. You buy the system, that the armaments Airbus Helicopters will support, because it's been proven. Now if you decide for some reason you don't want any of the manufacturers and ant to substitute, the integration and tests you'll do yourself. And you'll have to develop your own Mission & Firing Control Computer.

This is basis stuff I expected you to know.

Still has a decent 250mm Armour penetration.

On the use of the Cirit and incompatibility in weapons systems, such as those ATE provides, it all depends on the requirements of the end user. Of course, there are other weapons upgrades customers can choose from, however my opinion was in general terms, not particularly targeted at ATE/Paramount Group.

In addition to a basic HMG and unguided rockets, a CIRIT seems like a very capable system upgrade to have.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 2:46am On Aug 09, 2015
denisfidha:

That comment is your own take, not your governments..
AMISOM -stands for African Mission in Somalia - its a mission under the AU banner,it was launched by Africans, for Africans, which am pretty sure every African country (in AU) was asked to contribute troops to help stabilize the most failed state and the most dangerous country (at-least back then) - No one begged Siera-leone (from west Africa) to send troops, because they had seen the effects of conflict and because they had experienced what it feels to have Africans send in peacekeepers that led to the stabilisation of war in Siera-Leone, they felt the need to payback Africans by doing the same for other countries. No one begged Nigeria(another west African) to send its police, they wanted to help....Countries send in troops based on their own political, strategic or geopolitical will, or self interest..... AMISOM mission started years before SA's congo mission and the FIB mission to DRC . If your government wanted to, they would have, your government probably looked at the repercussions of sending active troops while having a significant Somali population and thought it wast worth the risk.....

Ok, so apart from holding 2 battalions on permanent UN deployment (which means that about 4 battalions are tied up by those commitments)

and holding another 1,500 on permanent standby for ACRIC (the ONLY Africany country to do so)

and holding another 1,100 securing our own borders (soon to be well over 2000)

so despite having 7000 soldiers tied down at any one time, we still have to find the time to follow our own training routines and exercises... which ties up more men.

And we are spending more on establishing regional standby forces

And we are investing millions (now closer to billions) in disaster releif in Mozambique (and other SADAC nations)

And we are investing millions in the training and equipping of the DRC army

And we are investing millions in patrolling Mozambique's waters for her

Now we must go fight another war on the far side of the continent?

We dont have troops there because we are busy with things that are more important. FIB was started because it helps a SADAC country.

"pretty sure" every country was asked is not good enough.

I could ask the very same question of you: Why has no one else apart from Tanzania sent troops to help us pacify North Kivu?

Grow up. Quite frankly, if it is outside of SADAC we dont have the men or money to spare. You are just going to have to put on your big-boy pants and deal with your own problems.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:40am On Aug 09, 2015
patches689:

Ok, so apart from holding 2 battalions on permanent UN deployment (which means that about 4 battalions are tied up by those commitments)

and holding another 1,500 on permanent standby for ACRIC (the ONLY Africany country to do so)

and holding another 1,100 securing our own borders (soon to be well over 2000)

so despite having 7000 soldiers tied down at any one time, we still have to find the time to follow our own training routines and exercises... which ties up more men.

And we are spending more on establishing regional standby forces

And we are investing millions (now closer to billions) in disaster releif in Mozambique (and other SADAC nations)

And we are investing millions in the training and equipping of the DRC army

And we are investing millions in patrolling Mozambique's waters for her

Now we must go fight another war on the far side of the continent?

We dont have troops there because we are busy with things that are more important. FIB was started because it helps a SADAC country.

"pretty sure" every country was asked is not good enough.

I could ask the very same question of you: Why has no one else apart from Tanzania sent troops to help us pacify North Kivu?

Grow up. Quite frankly, if it is outside of SADAC we dont have the men or money to spare. You are just going to have to put on your big-boy pants and deal with your own problems.
i believe the word crusade is whats making us pissed.you can't assume east countries are going to somalia just for the heck of it
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 4:54am On Aug 09, 2015
africaken:
i believe the word crusade is whats making us pissed.you can't assume east countries are going to somalia just for the heck of it

And yet your comrade suggests that we should join simply for the heck of it?

And I never suggested that you are there "for the heck of it"

What is up with the people on this thread? So sensitive - so quick to jump at perceived slights
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:38am On Aug 09, 2015
Nigerian Navy Patrol Vessels

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 09, 2015
Nigeria COIN

Igirigi APC

Otokar cobras

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ocelot2006(m): 9:45am On Aug 09, 2015
Henry120:

Henry, that's not a pilot. Look at the Sargent chevrons and the half-wings. That's a crew chief, probably from the Puma or Mi-35 Squadron, just striking a pose with the Gazelle helicopter. Besides NCOs where not the ones selected for flight training.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:51am On Aug 09, 2015
if UAE can achieve this ,it is possible for most of us.we should turn this terrorism and insurgency conflicts to our advantage ,just like israel,colombia,pakistan have done
Found in 2007, Burkan Munitions Systems LLC (BMS) is manufacturing, assembling and testing a wide range of ammunition such as infantry, artillery and aircraft bombs. It is the result of a joint venture between Tawazun Holding and Al Jaber Trading Establishment Group.
In 2009, Burkan‘s production facility manufactured the 40mm low velocity rounds and started the demilitarization operations. It is now the home base to an integrated environmental-friendly demilitarization plant for explosives and ammunition disposal.
Burkan is one of the leading munitions manufacturers of high quality technologies and international standards in the GCC, with the capacity to turn industrial challenges into a competitive advantage. Our highly qualified and diversified team of experts gives Burkan the necessary to reach best-in-class solutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oex3STqCtk8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_puIvN6xXKo
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 09, 2015
Ethiopian Artists Visit Military bases and industries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqQb3D3Pn0
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 2:44pm On Aug 09, 2015
africaken:
if UAE can achieve this ,it is possible for most of us.we should turn this terrorism and insurgency conflicts to our advantage ,just like israel,colombia,pakistan have done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oex3STqCtk8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_puIvN6xXKo
How does security influence the outcome of elections in Africa?

if security doesn't really influence people's choices then we'll rarely see African countries spend massively on defence.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 09, 2015
stillchris:
I just listened to the Nigerian chief of air staff saying after inspecting the air force as directed by the president, he has forwarded a list of platforms the air force badly needs.

Good days ahead.

10pm @channels news.

The report is on channels news website. I just wonder what's in that list.

(1) (2) (3) ... (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) ... (2846) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.