Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,302 members, 7,815,547 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (308) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5963546 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:50pm On Dec 31, 2015
Henry240:

It isn't really that simple. MRAPs cost between $500,000- $1,000,000. If there are 20,000 security forces along the border, those men would need 2,500 MRAPs to convey them.

2,500 x 500,000 = $1.2 billion.

Where is Kenya supposed to get 1.2 billion for MRAPs alone from?
there are cheaper option of armouring those same land cruisers or even other model chassis or even buying second hand MRAP like casspir from south africa
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 31, 2015
Russia: New Russian Mi-38 helicopter certified ahead of 2016 market launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd1WNWRXugw
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:35pm On Dec 31, 2015
Patchesagain:

1. Su-30 is massively expensive to operate, costing around $7000 per flight hour (Grip is ~$3000), newer models of Su30 can cost upwards of $14000 per hour

2. Single engine = less maintenance, therefore lower operating costs and less demand for new parts. Then you take into account that Russian engines arent very good....
- Su30's have serious engine problems, just look at India, they struggle to maintain 50% operationability for their Su30's (their target is ~70%)
- India has recorded no less than 69 engine failures since 2012 and recorded a wopping 35 technical failures in a one year period.

3. Yes, but due to the low RCS of the Gripen it means that it can take on and defeat Su30MKI's in BVR combat
http://www.africandefence.net/angolas-su-30ks-are-not-a-serious-threat-to-the-south-african-air-force/
india air force is not keeping its SU-30 in the hangar they are seriously abusing those machines .they are being invited to red flag also the royal air force have invited for joint training ,they have won within visual range combat against F-15 and euro typhoon and when it comes to beyond visual range combat non of the western combat jets can compare with the number air to air missiles the russians su-30 jets can carry .a su-30 with modern digital radio frequency memory monopulse jammers is capable of causing likely much more than a 50 percent degradation of beyong visual range missile kill probability also a SU-30 can switch off its radar and use its OLS-30 laser-optical Infra-red search and track to shoot its opponent
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 31, 2015
Gen S J Mwathethe Makes A Christmas Visit To KDF Troops In Somalia

Today, the Chief of the Defence Forces (CDF) General Samson Mwathethe made a Christmas visit to Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) troops operating under African Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) in Kismayo and commended them for, ‘a job well done.’
While addressing the troops at Kismayo International Airport,Gen Mwathethe said that KDF deeply acknowledged the risks, personal sacrifices and gallantry the soldiers have shown since their deployment in Somalia in 2011. He attributed the essence of his Christmas visit to celebrating such occasions together in pursuit of the spirit de corps of the KDF. He then congratulated the soldiers for their acts of valor and effort to protect the sovereignty and integrity of the Republic of Kenya and thanked them for their spirited fight against Al Shabaab militia.
The CDF also said, “Al Shabaab militia is like a snake that hunts your chicken at home. The natural instinct is to kill the snake from outside before it enters your house to kill your chicken.We are here to kill the enemy before he enters our Country to harm fellow Kenyans,” he explained.
Gen Mwathethe also emphasized to the Kenyan troops on the essence of working closely together with other Countries in the African Union with the common purpose being to defeat terrorism. He said, “We are here in Somalia to defeat terrorism and we shall not relent until when we will achieve our objectives.”
He further urged Kenyans especially those living in Lamu County to assist in securing their localities by reporting any suspicious individuals or strangers to the security agencies operating in the area. He said, “Security is a collective responsibility. It is therefore our duty as the citizenry to provide useful information to the security agencies in the fight against terror.”The CDF then concluded by wishing the troops in Somalia and Kenyans at large, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Brig Bartonjo welcomes Gen Mwathethe at Kismayo International Airport.

CDF Gen Samson Mwathethe being shown around Kismayo international airport camp by Sector 2 Commander Brig Daniel Bartonjo.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 5:42pm On Dec 31, 2015
just came across this today

Nigeria and Sri-lanka to buy the JF-17 Thunder

http://combatforces..com.ng/2015/12/pakistan-pushes-for-jf-17-fighter.html
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 5:53pm On Dec 31, 2015
lionel4power:

i saw it to but the number are to low
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 31, 2015
lionel4power:

Honestly I don't get aircraft generation classification anymore, every time I read about the JF17 its classified as a 3rd generation aircraft.....I always thought the fact that an aircraft has digital fly by wire distinguished it from 3rd generation, I do however understand that most civilian news outlets have little to no knowledge on military matters, but when PAC themselves classify the JF17 as 3rd gen shocked shocked shocked

But anyway hope for your guys sake you receive a decent amount of Aircraft, I feel 25-30 units is the absolute minimum.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 6:18pm On Dec 31, 2015
africaken:
india air force is not keeping its SU-30 in the hangar they are seriously abusing those machines .they are being invited to red flag also the royal air force have invited for joint training ,they have won within visual range combat against F-15 and euro typhoon and when it comes to beyond visual range combat non of the western combat jets can compare with the number air to air missiles the russians su-30 jets can carry .a su-30 with modern digital radio frequency memory monopulse jammers is capable of causing likely much more than a 50 percent degradation of beyong visual range missile kill probability also a SU-30 can switch off its radar and use its OLS-30 laser-optical Infra-red search and track to shoot its opponent
Why are you ignoring the infra-red search and track capability of western fighters?

The west currently has better AAMs both SRAAMs and BVRAAMs.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:47pm On Dec 31, 2015
andrewza:

i saw it to but the number are to low

Nigeria has a requirement for 25-40 fighter jets or 3 squadrouns. If eventually confirmed by the F.G, the incoming jets would represent only a start of a much wider delivery.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 10:00pm On Dec 31, 2015
jln115:

Honestly I don't get aircraft generation classification anymore, every time I read about the JF17 its classified as a 3rd generation aircraft.....I always thought the fact that an aircraft has digital fly by wire distinguished it from 3rd generation, I do however understand that most civilian news outlets have little to no knowledge on military matters, but when PAC themselves classify the JF17 as 3rd gen shocked shocked shocked

But anyway hope for your guys sake you receive a decent amount of Aircraft, I feel 25-30 units is the absolute minimum.

Everyone considers it as 4G fighter jet even the west see it as a Gripen from the east. The most important thing is that our is likely to be block 2 which is comparable to Gripen C. The block 3 will be a 4++ generation jet. Just that we want to see them land on Nigerian soil before we make noise. I guess we are getting 3 next year.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 31, 2015
iblawi:

Everyone considers it as 4G fighter jet even the west see it as a Gripen from the east. The most important thing is that our is likely to be block 2 which is comparable to Gripen C. The block 3 will be a 4++ generation jet. Just that we want to see them land on Nigerian soil before we make noise. I guess we are getting 3 next year.
Well bro, I don't want to burst your bubble but PAC classifies It as 3rd Gen. Don't ask me why but that's how it is.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 10:23pm On Dec 31, 2015
I heard dubai is under attack.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35207451

But it looks more like a normal fire outbreak.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 10:24pm On Dec 31, 2015
jln115:
Well bro, I don't want to burst your bubble but PAC classifies It as 3rd Gen. Don't ask me why but that's how it is.

On your own. (OYO is your case).

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 10:57pm On Dec 31, 2015
Gripen's cockpit.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 10:58pm On Dec 31, 2015
Jf17 thunder's cockpit

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:11pm On Dec 31, 2015
iblawi:

On your own. (OYO is your case).

The g limit for the Gripen is +9/-3 not +8.5g also the climb rate of the Gripen is classified, but its estimated to be more than 250m/s.
Anyway your photo on the otherhand proves the Gripen is on another level.

Faster
Higher payload
Shorter landing distance
More manoeuvrable
Better thrust to weight

And not mentioned is that the Gripen also has better:

Radar
EW suit
HMI
Much lower RCS.
Ect ect ect

Pic1: Screen shot I posted little over a year ago, its a PDF file supplied by PAC, the source was initially posted by @Agaugust, so credit should go to him.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:31pm On Dec 31, 2015
africaken:
Gen S J Mwathethe Makes A Christmas Visit To KDF Troops In Somalia

Been meaning to ask about this!!

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:52pm On Dec 31, 2015
Happy new year!!! Sorry a bit late tongue or yearly depending where you live!!

Anyway thanks Henry for the awesome thread!!!
Also thanks to all the contributers @Agaugust,@Iblawi,@Patches689,@andrewza,@MikeCZAR,@africaken,@IbnSultaan, @Centrifude,@lionel4power,@mzilakazi,@ViceAdmiral,@gottfried21,@frumentius,@ballballo,@stillchris,@denisfidha,@bidexiii,@ovedhypedsteve,@rugged7,@xwolverine,@jteku,@Xbee007,@giles14,@snydergp1st,@ocelot2006,@iterator24,@fynline,@Nigerdeltaboi,@sczeska,@fighterpilot.....and to anybody else I might of missed.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:58pm On Dec 31, 2015
Happy New Year guyz!

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by NighttWalker(m): 3:28am On Jan 01, 2016
africaken:
crazy russian grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvRDu6UddI
That battlefield soundtrack, ahhh gives me an er.ection.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by NighttWalker(m): 3:47am On Jan 01, 2016
Happy New Year guys. I apologize for being late, got it 10 hours earlier to Nigerian time but Sydney fireworks was so amazing I forgot.

PS I forgot to charge my phone before I left so I didn't get any pics and I'm too lazy to ask bae to send the the pics and vid she got grin but I'm gonna share some randoms.....This morning was mental

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by NighttWalker(m): 4:30am On Jan 01, 2016
jln115:
Happy new year!!! Sorry a bit late tongue or yearly depending where you live!!

Anyway thanks Henry for the awesome thread!!!
Also thanks to all the contributers @Agaugust,@Iblawi,@Patches689,@andrewza,@MikeCZAR,@africaken,@IbnSultaan, @Centrifude,@lionel4power,@mzilakazi,@ViceAdmiral,@gottfried21,@frumentius,@ballballo,@stillchris,@denisfidha,@bidexiii,@ovedhypedsteve,@rugged7,@xwolverine,@jteku,@Xbee007,@giles14,@snydergp1st,@ocelot2006,@iterator24,@fynline,@Nigerdeltaboi,@sczeska,@fighterpilot.....and to anybody else I might of missed.
You missed me wink

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 5:28am On Jan 01, 2016
jln115:

The g limit for the Gripen is +9/-3 not +8.5g also the climb rate of the Gripen is classified, but its estimated to be more than 250m/s.
Anyway your photo on the otherhand proves the Gripen is on another level.

Faster
Higher payload
Shorter landing distance
More manoeuvrable
Better thrust to weight

And not mentioned is that the Gripen also has better:

Radar
EW suit
HMI
Much lower RCS.
Ect ect ect

Pic1: Screen shot I posted little over a year ago, its a PDF file supplied by PAC, the source was initially posted by @Agaugust, so credit should go to him.

by how much faster? will your pilot fly at Mach 2? What's the difference in payload? You saw only the landing distance right? What of the take off distance and combat radius etc. Don't be blinded by hatred, it's not good and it makes you look like a dummy.

I don't know where you got your radar, EW suit, HMI and RCS info of JF 17 thunder from.

How is the Gripen on another level?

Am not even saying gripen is better or the JF 17 is better, all am saying is that they are mate. The info hear is even that of block 1 and not even block 2. Were you not ashamed when you posted this junk?

Happy new year all the same.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 7:35am On Jan 01, 2016
jln115:

well the JF-17 doesnt really give you an irection when the name is mentioned.. but you have to understand it from a Nigerian point-of-view, we havent had any good fighter for years now.. any change would be welcomed wholeheartedly. yes its quite lagging behind the gripen in some critical areas but the gripen is just an expensive aircraft with almost the same capabilities with the Thunder. if we can get the thunder in significant numbers then thats a good thing... if you look deeply at other airforces around the world (not the big names USAF, RAF, IAF, FrAF, Luftwaff e.t.c), you'll notice that less richer countries are comfortable with just simple aircraft systems.

BUT THE TRUTH IS IF YOU COMPARE TO SIMILAR AIRCRAFT OF THE SAME CLASS, YOU WONT GET IDENTICAL SPECS... THE DECIDING FACTORS ISNT REALLY THE AIRFRAME BUT THE TYPE OF RESOURCES AND SUPPORT IT CAN CALL UPON E.G RADAR COVERAGE, REINFORCEMENTS, DATALINKS, GOOD TACTICS E.T.C
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 7:53am On Jan 01, 2016
lionel4power:
well the JF-17 doesnt really give you an irection when the name is mentioned.. but you have to understand it from a Nigerian point-of-view, we havent had any good fighter for years now.. any change would be welcomed wholeheartedly. yes its quite lagging behind the gripen in some critical areas but the gripen is just an expensive aircraft with almost the same capabilities with the Thunder. if we can get the thunder in significant numbers then thats a good thing... if you look deeply at other airforces around the world (not the big names USAF, RAF, IAF, FrAF, Luftwaff e.t.c), you'll notice that less richer countries are comfortable with just simple aircraft systems.

BUT THE TRUTH IS IF YOU COMPARE TO SIMILAR AIRCRAFT OF THE SAME CLASS, YOU WONT GET IDENTICAL SPECS... THE DECIDING FACTORS ISNT REALLY THE AIRFRAME BUT THE TYPE OF RESOURCES AND SUPPORT IT CAN CALL UPON E.G RADAR COVERAGE, REINFORCEMENTS, DATALINKS, GOOD TACTICS E.T.C

The bottom line is we are comparing Gripen C with JF17 thunder block 1 but we are getting block 2 which has received many upgrades in many areas. Let's wait till we get genuine information on block 2.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:21am On Jan 01, 2016
MikeCZAR:
Why are you ignoring the infra-red search and track capability of western fighters?

The west currently has better AAMs both SRAAMs and BVRAAMs.
because most of them dont have IRST ,it seems your current update on russian is outdated .this is a AESA seeker head of a K-77M (izdeliye 180) Missile,also we have K-77ME (izdeliye 180-BD) a ramjet model

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jan 01, 2016
NighttWalker:
You missed me wink
Ahhhh fvck !! Sorry bro!! But happy new year to you to, hope you have an awesome year my friend!!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 01, 2016
iblawi:
by how much faster? will your pilot fly at Mach 2? What's the difference in payload? You saw only the landing distance right? What of the take off distance and combat radius etc. Don't be blinded by hatred, it's not good and it makes you look like a dummy.

I don't know where you got your radar, EW suit, HMI and RCS info of JF 17 thunder from.

How is the Gripen on another level?

Am not even saying gripen is better or the JF 17 is better, all am saying is that they are mate. The info hear is even that of block 1 and not even block 2. Were you not ashamed when you posted this junk?

Happy new year all the same.
Cruise speed for the Gripen is also higher, thus if they are not flying at max speed, the Gripen will still be faster

Gripen also has 8 hard points vs 7 and has a higher payload.

The Gripen is arguably the most manoeuvrable aircraft in the world thanks to its very low wingloading.

Also the EW suit on the Gripen is legendary, coupled with the most advanced data link in the world, world class locally developed HMD and locally developed HMI which is considered one of the most modern in any aircraft...then you get close to a world beater.

Also the newest PS-05 Radar can track a 0.1m2 object at 120km.

The frontal RCS of the Gripen is also well documented to be 0.1m2 from the front....The frontal RCS of the jf17 is 1-2m2 which isn't bad at all.

Gripen also has a combat turnaround of 10min..the fastest of any fighter jet in the world.

Lastly on the long run the Gripen will be cheaper to.

I'm not trying to dis the JF17, for the money its a great little fighter...but you can't compare it to an aircraft that cost more than twice as much...you get what you pay for.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 01, 2016
lionel4power:

Awesome post mate!! I agree 100%.... honestly the Gripen and JF17 aren't really competitors as they have a totally different target market, I'd say the JF17s biggest rivals would be the Tejas from india.

The JF17 was built to be the workhorses of the PAF and which any country buys it, where as the Gripen would be the front line fighter.

It would be awesome if you guys receive about 20-30 JF17s and then possibly 12-16 units of Su30s to serve as your primary front line fighter.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 1:33pm On Jan 01, 2016
jln115:

Cruise speed for the Gripen is also higher, thus if they are not flying at max speed, the Gripen will still be faster

Gripen also has 8 hard points vs 7 and has a higher payload.

The Gripen is arguably the most manoeuvrable aircraft in the world thanks to its very low wingloading.

Also the EW suit on the Gripen is legendary, coupled with the most advanced data link in the world, world class locally developed HMD and locally developed HMI which is considered one of the most modern in any aircraft...then you get close to a world beater.

Also the newest PS-05 Radar can track a 0.1m2 object at 120km.

The frontal RCS of the Gripen is also well documented to be 0.1m2 from the front....The frontal RCS of the jf17 is 1-2m2 which isn't bad at all.

Gripen also has a combat turnaround of 10min..the fastest of any fighter jet in the world.

Lastly on the long run the Gripen will be cheaper to.

I'm not trying to dis the JF17, for the money its a great little fighter...but you can't compare it to an aircraft that cost more than twice as much...you get what you pay for.

What am saying is that there is no information on JF-17 thunder block 2 for now. If you know the difference between Gripen A & Gripen C you will know what am talking about.

For now I can't say anything and We are still praying it comes this year. I just want to see them in Nigeria first.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 1:38pm On Jan 01, 2016
Henry240:

Nigeria has a requirement for 25-40 fighter jets or 3 squadrouns. If eventually confirmed by the F.G, the incoming jets would represent only a start of a much wider delivery.

the old SA defense review had a requirement for two light fighter squadrons and one meduime. Yet we got only the light. Things change and any case buying in small batches here and there is costly. Better to buy a larger batch even if it is on credit. It more cost effective
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 01, 2016
iblawi:

What am saying is that there is no information on JF-17 thunder block 2 for now. If you know the difference between Gripen A & Gripen C you will know what am talking about.

For now I can't say anything and We are still praying it comes this year. I just want to see them in Nigeria first.
In terms of raw performance there isn't much difference between the Gripen A and Gripen C

Anyway here are the specifications from PAC on the JF17

http://www.pac.org.pk/jf-17

(1) (2) (3) ... (305) (306) (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.