Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,799 members, 7,813,628 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5958316 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (2842) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 2:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
Henry240:

On the parts we disagree, Afghanistan has no Oil, so it is illogical to say the Americans have been in Afghanistan for over 10 years because of oil..

It was one of the reasons they were there

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 2:34pm On Nov 01, 2014
Centrifude:
*unrelated*
I was reading about the Swedish Armed forces after the whole ghost submarine saga, and I was surprised to see how seriously high-tech Swedens defence force is, seeing all that High-tech gear only being used in exercises and patrols makes me really sad, to think that there are dozens of African Army's that really need those kind of weapons and would put them to good use if they had them, just makes me wonder what we as Africa's are doing wrong, Sweden has a defence budget of around $6 Billion.
It just make me think that if a country like Nigeria had half the ish Sweden has, Boko-Haram fighters wouldn't even dare try to do the shit they've been doing for the past 2years, they'd just stick to the most common kind of terrorism.

Nigeria has gone for a big military

The Swedes have gone for a very small military

Small militaries are easyer to maintain at a high standard.

If Nigeria halved its army kept the budget the same, and cleared out its arsenal, focused on quality and not quantity they would definitely be more effective.

South Africa took the decision to go for a small high capacity force in the 1998 review, and it was definitly worth it
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by PrinxArthur1(m): 7:43pm On Nov 01, 2014
MikeCZAR:
Ask and you'll be answered, and provided with information.

There's no such thing called "bofor artillery system".

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by PrinxArthur1(m): 7:48pm On Nov 01, 2014
MikeCZAR:
Ask and you'll be answered, and provided with information.

There's no such thing called "bofor artillery system".

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Centrifude(m): 10:07pm On Nov 01, 2014
Henry240:

And, this is why, I love algeria's deal to get 1000 up-graded fauch APC. All 1000 of them would be built in Algeria.

On the parts we disagree, Afghanistan has no Oil, so it is illogical to say the Americans have been in Afghanistan for over 10 years because of oil. From a military standpoint, NATO troops in Afghanistan have used every asset they have in their inventory against the taliban, except for a nuclear bomb.

In the battle of tora bora, the Americans dropped the world's second most powerful bomb, the "daisy cutter", on the taliban, including all precision bombs they had. Fast-foward today, the Talibs are still fighting NATO forces in Afghanistan.

The idea that superior firepower guarantees success in battle is nonsense. Afghanistan is a clear example, neither could the Germans who had superior Tiger tanks defeat the russians in WWII. For every one Russian T-34 destroyed, the russians had two more to supplement.

Coming back home, the Nigeria airforce has carried over 5,000 missions and over 2,000 ground attack mission.

"While speaking on the activities of his men, Amosu said the air force has carried out more than 5,390 missions comprising 2,468 on various ground attack platforms, 1,443 air surveillance and 1,479 airlift missions."

“The air force has recorded significant gains in the ongoing effort, the war has brought to the fore the need for a critical look at how we define air power vis-à-vis shaping of the battle space and control of air.”

Amosu is Nigeria's chief of Air-staff. These are comments from our chief supporting my argument.

From the CAS comments, their isn't any proof that precision guided munitions or any Hight-Tech weaponry would greatly change the conflict.

Neither is there proof that MGL and AGL primarily turned the tide for Nigerian troops in against B.H. Nigeria's fortunes turned because our troops stood their grounds, held the enemy after wave, after wave of attacks. In traditional combat, like they are trained to d

They knew when the enemy was about to attack, they set a bait, channelled the enemy into a killing field, and the military let loose with small arms and artillery fire. Troops don't fight the enemy from within their MRAPs.

P.S, i'm not against High-Tech, but eventually, your High-tech equipment would malfunction, the battery for your EO-tech aiming sight would run down, and you won't be able to use your aiming sight, when this happens, the you abandon your mission, and let the enemy have a field day?

Accessories are a great add on, but they won't always function, the infantry man has to full back on his traditional fighting, and map reading. This turned the tide for the Nigerian military, and not some fancy pants AGL/MGL.

At this point, the Nigerian airforce does not require any fancy looking fighter plane, more ground attack jets and helicopters are the way forward.

A small heavily armed highly mobile force will does the job when it comes to dealing with insurgency in a country, and the new acquisition of fire arms has made a huge difference on the ground, the guys now have ways to counter those insanely powerful anti-Air guns.

Plus the newly acquired gunships are said to be reeking havoc on B.H fighters, and they are providing and incredible amount of support for the guys on the ground
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Centrifude(m): 10:17pm On Nov 01, 2014
Patchesagain:

Nigeria has gone for a big military

The Swedes have gone for a very small military

Small militaries are easyer to maintain at a high standard.

If Nigeria halved its army kept the budget the same, and cleared out its arsenal, focused on quality and not quantity they would definitely be more effective.

South Africa took the decision to go for a small high capacity force in the 1998 review, and it was definitly worth it
Yeah true and once you're done with the quality over Quantity part, its much easier to expand your force, but I think S.A still has a lot of work to do before we can expand to the over 100K soldiers that our defence minister so badly desires
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 6:24am On Nov 02, 2014
You guys should watch the new HBO Documentary about the Kenya Mall attack, entitled "Terror at the Mall"

It uses CCTV footage and its very heavy stuff.

It hits your right in the feels
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 8:26am On Nov 02, 2014
Centrifude:

A small heavily armed highly mobile force will does the job when it comes to dealing with insurgency in a country, and the new acquisition of fire arms has made a huge difference on the ground, the guys now have ways to counter those insanely powerful anti-Air guns.

Plus the newly acquired gunships are said to be reeking havoc on B.H fighters, and they are providing and incredible amount of support for the guys on the ground
Heavy fire power and technology will never replace man power.

There's no proof yet that BH is under military pressure.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:14am On Nov 02, 2014
NAF chief visits PAC, shows keen interest in the productions of th JF-17, super mushark and re-building of the F-7 to PG standard.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 02, 2014
More

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by celeron40(m): 10:25am On Nov 02, 2014
Henry120:
NAF chief visits PAC, shows keen interest in the productions of th JF-17, super mushark and re-building of the F-7 to PG standard.
#Dancing Skelewu#
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 02, 2014
Nigerian Navy

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 11:53am On Nov 02, 2014
Army equipment showcase in Windhoek Namibia

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 11:56am On Nov 02, 2014
Some more

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 11:59am On Nov 02, 2014
That's It

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:04pm On Nov 02, 2014
Nigerian navy newly introduced commando uniform.

I've always loved this commando shirt /uniform or whatever it is, mostly worn by NATO and Russian commandos. Nice to see the Nigerian navy has also adopted it.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 02, 2014
Henry120:

I've always loved this commando shirt /uniform or whatever it is, mostly worn by NATO and Russian commandos. Nice to see the Nigerian navy has also adopted it.
Navy seal(US) use similar gear
I love the Navy for just one f*****g reason
The are always modernising themselves from small weaponry to personnel Gears
Onward Together
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 02, 2014
patches689:
some randoms

The RG-35 can scare the sh1t off a little child. It has this "ugly/beautiful" look. grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by agaugust: 5:53pm On Nov 02, 2014
NAF + PAF

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:24pm On Nov 02, 2014
celeron40:
#Dancing Skelewu#

Nothing to dey skelewu for oh, my bros. Like I tok before, we don dey dis lane Tey, Tey. No, until we see srious thing on d table, all dis wan na wash.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jteku(m): 9:31pm On Nov 02, 2014
Henry120:

Nothing to dey skelewu for oh, my bros. Like I tok before, we don dey dis lane Tey, Tey. No, until we see srious thing on d table, all dis wan na wash.
Abeg tell am @henry120, b4 e dance #skelewu reach 2020, him neva knw d kind service chiefs way we get, d more u see the less u understand
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 03, 2014
Nigerian Navy, Anti-bunkering

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 03, 2014
Henry120:

i don't think its newly introduced cos i saw my cousin close 5 months then ,on this type of uniform infact his was the regular woodland camo.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Centrifude(m): 1:20pm On Nov 03, 2014
Henry120:

Awesome!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 03, 2014
is that the JF-17 thunder our service chiefs dey enter for that pic? Don't you think we should be considering the SU-30 instead? I like that plane die!

What don you think the role of the NAF would be in the next 10years, all things being equal? And the NN and NA, what would be their roles in that period of time, assuming nothing drastic, e.g BH, happens.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 03, 2014
craziebone:
is that the JF-17 thunder our service chiefs dey enter for that pic? Don't you think we should be considering the SU-30 instead? I like that plane die!

I hope you remember this is a photo thread, and not the right place to pose this question.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:01pm On Nov 03, 2014
Nigerdeltaboi:

i don't think its newly introduced cos i saw my cousin close 5 months then ,on this type of uniform infact his was the regular woodland camo.

This is good news then, I never knew it has been introduced. This is the first time i'm seeing it. I also have a not so clear photo of it in black. Woodland camo is okay, but this blue and desert camo are the best.

Overall, i'm very delighted with it.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:42pm On Nov 03, 2014
Henry120:

This is good news then, I never knew it has been introduced. This is the first time i'm seeing it. I also have a not so clear photo of it in black. Woodland camo is okay, but this blue and desert camo are the best.

Overall, i'm very delighted with it.
yea ,i just hope the other services key into this vision and transformation of the Navy too.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 03, 2014
Nigerdeltaboi:

yea ,i just hope the other services key into this vision and transformation of the Navy too.

Probably for the Airforce, however, for the army, it won't happen.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by PrinxArthur1(m): 7:15pm On Nov 03, 2014
China completes sea trials for NNS centenary

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Centrifude(m): 7:33am On Nov 04, 2014
MikeCZAR:
Heavy fire power and technology will never replace man power.

There's no proof yet that BH is under military pressure.

It worked for the SADF during the border war, and look at Iraqs army, they had thousands of men, I only found out recently while watching Aljazeera that Iraq had more than one hundred thousand soldiers, and in the beginning they out numbered I.S fighters 1:10, so having large numbers isn't always good, large numbers are good for invasions, but when it comes to insurgency it might be better to have a small heavily armed and well trained group of soldiers.

But... Sometimes it all depends on how you use those resources, having large armies might work for other people, so I might be wrong.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 04, 2014
First time am seeing KDF use the SCAR-H in an operation. Hunting down alshabaab sympathizers who attacked villagers near lamu, Launching there attacked from boni forest which leads up to the Somali border

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmzJn8uGUs4

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (2842) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.