Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,209 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Road to World Cup 2010 - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Road to World Cup 2010 (7051 Views)

Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) / Nigeria Vs South Korea: 2 - 2 @ World Cup 2010, June 22 / Amodu Will Go To World Cup- NFF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by 4Him1(m): 5:55pm On Jun 01, 2008
viee:

na wa for the names of this SA guys oooo
EXCELLENT Walazza
SUPRISE Wariri grin

if only they had anything suprising or excellent about them cheesy

Na the only thing excellent about the SA team be that.   grin

Mikel had a fantastic game, why does he play defensive midfield at Chelsea?
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tosinadeda: 5:57pm On Jun 01, 2008
mukina2:

sure win cool

offcourse sure win for nigeria grin grin grin
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by 4Him1(m): 5:58pm On Jun 01, 2008
Terror Fonteni . . .

The South African department of naming children has to explain this!  grin
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tosinadeda: 6:00pm On Jun 01, 2008
4 Him:

Mikel had a fantastic game, why does he play defensive midfield at Chelsea?

no apologies o, but chelsea has killed that guy!!!!
see him getting tired because he tried playing attacking footie today
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by 4Him1(m): 6:01pm On Jun 01, 2008
Mukina2, i hope we're not going to use a secondary school pitch pls.

tosinadeda:

no apologies o, but chelsea has killed that guy!!!!
see him getting tired because he tried playing attacking footie today

did you watch that match? He played excellent.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tosinadeda: 6:02pm On Jun 01, 2008
4 Him:

Terror Fonteni . . .

there was even an innocent in the team grin
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by mukina2: 6:04pm On Jun 01, 2008
tosinadeda:

offcourse sure win for nigeria grin grin grin

haha no way . . cool
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tosinadeda: 6:05pm On Jun 01, 2008
4 Him:

Mukina2, i hope we're not going to use a secondary school pitch please.

did you watch that match? He played excellent.

wut are u saying, its obvious he has lost his attacking instincts
thats y he kept on falling allnover the picth,cos he was getting tired!!!!!
he dsnt run all over the pitch in chelsea
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by mukina2: 6:07pm On Jun 01, 2008
4 Him:

Mukina2, i hope we're not going to use a secondary school pitch please.

Standard pitch grin we shall win cool
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by 4Him1(m): 6:09pm On Jun 01, 2008
tosinadeda:

what are u saying, its obvious he has lost his attacking instincts
thats y he kept on falling allnover the picth,because he was getting tired!!!!!
he dsnt run all over the pitch in chelsea

go and watch that match again. That is incomprehensible that a professional player will be too tired to play 90mins.
If you get kicked anytime you touch the ball its obvious u're going to fall down.

Mikel was clearly our best midfielder today, i didnt even know he could dribble so well.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tosinadeda: 6:12pm On Jun 01, 2008
4 Him:

go and watch that match again. That is incomprehensible that a professional player will be too tired to play 90mins.
If you get kicked anytime you touch the ball its obvious u're going to fall down.

Mikel was clearly our best midfielder today, i didnt even know he could dribble so well.

i think u should go back and watch the under 20 world cup in holland!!!!
guy mikel has chnaged and just tryn to come back
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by 4Him1(m): 6:14pm On Jun 01, 2008
tosinadeda:

i think u should go back and watch the under 20 world cup in holland!!!!
guy mikel has chnaged and just tryn to come back

You can only play depending on team tactics for that moment. Comparing Mikel's game today to U-20 world cup 3 yrs ago just doesnt cut it. Will you say Kanu is less of an attacking player than he was in 1996?
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tosinadeda: 6:17pm On Jun 01, 2008
4 Him:

You can only play depending on team tactics for that moment. Comparing Mikel's game today to Under-20 world cup 3 years ago just doesnt cut it. Will you say Kanu is less of an attacking player than he was in 1996?

thats exactly wut am saying, we all know mikel for playing attacking footie
and he i just regaining that back no thanks to chelsea!!!!
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by viee(f): 6:22pm On Jun 01, 2008
4 Him:

4 Him:

Terror Fonteni . . .

LMAO grin grin grin
may be thats y dem no do well sef
diz names na serious load sef grin
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by DrKitaun(m): 6:22pm On Jun 01, 2008
@Tosinadeda

are u sure we watched the same game ? MIKEL WAS FANTASTIC TODAY !  cool

to think this has been the best super eagles performance in a while  . . . .these guys were just way too much on top of their game, even the dead ones like the Yak atimes came to live . . .

Enyeama wasnt looking too happy, does he feel his place as OUR TRUE NO 1 is not yet certain ? abeg guy bone . . .U ARE THE BEST ! NOTHING DO U . . . wink

Utaka . . .bros na wa for u o, today u had a nice game, u tore their defence into shreds but for how long can u continue to replicate this sort of performance ? U ARE THE BEST ON UR GOOD DAY, JUST KEEP ON BEING U AND DONT ALLOW OPPONENTS TO GET TO U AND FOR SHIZZLE U'LL ALWAYS SHINE  cheesy!  cheesy

Uche KALU and IK Kalu . . .u guys are just wonderful, must feel good having each of u score withing 4 days for ur fatherland, keep it up guys !  wink

to hell with MARTINS !  angry if on the field today would he have outplayed Uche Kalu ? that guy needs see his shrink seriously . . . cool

IK Kalu and Ayila were just fantastic in the midfield alongside Mikel, it was a lovely sight seeing Ayila commandeer the midfield in that manner, way to go !

Olofinjana just doesnt seem to be getting it right playing alongside Mikel, his marking today looked to me shambolic and not much can be said about other aspects of his game, his passes sef get as e be . . . grin

Yussuf Mohammed is still raw . . .dude needs more exposure, why throw away passes needlessly ? nice game sha . . .at least d bobo try small  grin

Taiye Taiwo . . .nice game, twas good to see u have got back ur mojo . . . grin  grin

NWANERI AND YOBO, UNA TRY TOO . . .AT LEAST E DON TEY WEY NWANERI SCORE LAST  grin  grin

and the beauty of the game is that we used set pieces to win the game, this is something we had been lacking

C'MON  GUYS U CAN DO IT !  cool  cool
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by viee(f): 6:29pm On Jun 01, 2008
mukina2:

Standard pitch grin we shall win cool

yes oo we shall
anoda 3 points in d bag cool
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by nazzyon(m): 6:31pm On Jun 01, 2008
Our players were good today but we have to do more if we player against strongers countries.

Atleast, I expect NFA to organise  friendlies as soon as we qualify. It is just for the guys to have a taste of what we may be up against when we get to South Africa.

If not with the European & Asians, we have to play against North African countries to improve our pace.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Tattooboy: 7:02pm On Jun 01, 2008
Poor South Africans am sure they wont qualify for he nations cup
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tosinadeda: 7:58pm On Jun 01, 2008
Dr Kitaun:

@Tosinadeda

are u sure we watched the same game ? MIKEL WAS FANTASTIC TODAY ! cool

ure obviously missing my point!!!
cos if u do understand me u will know that am really giving mikel all the kudo's for playing diff today!!!!
i.e playing attacking football unlike wat he's been playing since wen he moved to chelsea!!!!!

my point is that not playing attackn footie at chelsea has affected him so much that he struggled to play attacking footie 2day
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Cristalz(f): 10:59pm On Jun 01, 2008
Nice win,tho our boys coulda scored more goals if they were serious about it.Twaz obvious from this match that our players are not the problem.We've got skill and talent.Management is the problem.Playing the boys in wrong positions.Aren't these the same boys Berti Vogts had at his disposal during AFCON? What did Amodu do,give them jazz? I'm not saying they played exceptionally well,but they did good and twaz obvious they can do better still.

The boys were up and doing at the initial stages,but after the goals,they relaxed.Second half was practise time for them.That's why i know they can do much better if they are up against a stronger team.At some point during the second half i got bored.Nothing was happening on the pitch.We were so relaxed and the South Africans were too scared and discouraged to attempt anything.
  Mikel was brilliant tho,wonder why some of you say he wasn't.He held that midfield good,and he was pure danger when he came up front.Only fault i found with him was that he tended to hold on to the ball for too long.Yeah,i know holding on to the ball for a long time is one of his strengths,and is also good sometimes,but you've gotta know when to let go and pass the ball to a teammate who's got more space and opportunity.He was selfish sometimes,but other than that he was lovely.
  Utaka won my heart too.The man was really good.The Uche brothers were wonderful too,tho one was better than the other(i mean the one the SA guys were trying to put in a wheelchair). Yak was ok,tho he was too well-marked to make any significant contributions. I expected more from Tai-Tai on the left wing,as in generating more attacks from there,but its like he wasn't too keen on that.The right wing was more active.Taiye did ok,but he had better realize his being a left-footer has got so many advantages for the team. Wish Osazee had played. Kanu only came on to fall down and give us free-kicks.At least the man for try fall for inside 18 grin
  I'm sure Enyeama wasn't happy because he didn't get much action.Must've been a boring game for him.

The SA boys gave the Super Eagles too much respect,and as a result,too much space.Its like twaz only Yak and Uche they were serious about marking,and even the marking sef they couldn't do it properly.Amassing yellow cards all over the place like twaz going out of season.
Our goals were headers,and i don't blame the SA boys too much for that because all of them are short.Was that a planned thing? grin Anyway,thats not really an excuse.Their defence was terrible.Their GK tried,but he was neither focused nor confident.Their midfield was ok at first,then it went slack.I was quite impressed when they were doing their passing thing really well,but i got irritated when they couldn't finish the beautiful legwork.Guess the team they reminded me of after a while? Yep,Arsenal grin grin Beautiful,fancy play,zero finishing.Twaz when they started attempting shots that i began to get hopeful for them.But then,the shots were either too high or off-target. Those 'shorties' have really got a long way to go.I hope their coach can manage it,because that team really needs work.They've got potential tho.

All in all,twaz a good win,but i know those boys are capable of greater things if they've got stronger opponents.I just hope they don't start feeling they're all that simply because they beat Bafana-Bafana.

I believe y'all can fly,Eagles.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tosinadeda: 11:49pm On Jun 01, 2008
babe this ur post long no be small o grin
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by DrKitaun(m): 12:29am On Jun 02, 2008
@Cristalz

u practically duplicated my post . . . shocked wink
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by 4Him1(m): 4:27am On Jun 02, 2008
Dr Kitaun:

is that we used set pieces to win the game, this is something we had been lacking

Gbam! Exactly what i was thinking today, i knew once we began to harness our largely wasted set pieces we'd be more dangerous. Gone are the days our corner kicks and free kicks were more or less goal kicks for the opposing team.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by texazzpete(m): 8:12am On Jun 02, 2008
Now i truly know the problem with Nigerian football.

it isn't Amodu or the players, or even the pitch.

it's Nigerians.

I can't speak for the level of exposure to modern football you guys have, but i watched that match. if you guys are truly impressed, it only goes to show how much we celebrate mediocrity in this country.

We won the match, yes, but we won against a truly abysmal team. South Africa were simply awful, and i strongly feel that Ranchers bees would have put up a far better performance than that team.

You saw 'briliant talent'? I saw a gaggle of undisciplined, unserious players toying with the ball. Football matches like these are meant to hone and sharpen the team, belnd them into a more powerful attacking force. Instead we are hailing our team that shuffled and jogged aimlessly around the pitch, just because we shuffled better?

Fantastic match, eh? So why were there no highlights worth speaking about in the second half?

Be honest and stop following the herd on this one: based on our performance yesterday do you think we can stand against even a mid-tier European side like Sweden?
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tkb417(m): 8:50am On Jun 02, 2008
@David
how far?
so u sef like soccer like this? na wa oo
meanwhile, the yahoo ID on adamawa kopa, is it the same you use as ur YIM?
i dont have ur YIM

@Texxazpete
pleased with baby eagles? lailai
the eagles of old would have spanked that bafana team like 8-0
we have lost the plot. i believe in miracles tho
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by DrKitaun(m): 9:50am On Jun 02, 2008
this is exactly why I think some of us just watch games with paraga-tinted eyes shocked

those super eagles had a fantastic game by their own standards, take it or spend it tongue

when a child goes wrong correct him, if he does well commend him cool

when last did u see this present crop of players play in synergy last ? undecided

and I wonder why anyone would want to compare the eagles of old with these over-bloated players . . . AT LEAST FOR DEM LEVEL DEM TRY ! NOT TO FORGET THAT THOSE SOUTH AFRICAN BOYS HAVE BEEN TOUTED TO RULE AFRICA IN THE NEAREST FUTURE grin grin
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by texazzpete(m): 10:45am On Jun 02, 2008
Dr Kitaun:

this is exactly why I think some of us just watch games with paraga-tinted eyes shocked

those super eagles had a fantastic game by their own standards, take it or spend it tongue

when a child goes wrong correct him, if he does well commend him cool

when last did u see this present crop of players play in synergy last ? undecided

and I wonder why anyone would want to compare the eagles of old with these over-bloated players . . . AT LEAST FOR DEM LEVEL DEM TRY ! NOT TO FORGET THAT THOSE SOUTH AFRICAN BOYS HAVE BEEN TOUTED TO RULE AFRICA IN THE NEAREST FUTURE grin grin

Touted by who? Those biased analysts at SuperSports?

So the Summary of you post is: let's celebrate mediocrity.

What over-bloated players? Mikel? Yobo? Ayila?

All i saw were extremely unserious players.
If you wish, revel in this victory. When we line up against a more experienced foe, you'll see.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by DrKitaun(m): 12:52pm On Jun 02, 2008
na wa o . . .

so cos they had a performance less than that of the green eagles of old that amounts to mediocrity shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tkb417(m): 12:59pm On Jun 02, 2008
whoever touted those south africans to rule the world must have taken weed
they will not even rule Africa again. hapless+Insipid=South Africa

why wont 9ja beat a team like ths on our soil? give them Angola and u go see wonder!!
hehehehehe
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by justkunmi(m): 1:09pm On Jun 02, 2008
texazzpete
You couldn't have said it any better
what I saw yesterday was just a show of "I play in England, I play in Europe"
Everybody. . .Mikel, Utaka, Aiyegbeni, Taiye, just kept caressing the ball like it was theirs. Everybody just had this attitude towards the game like it was already won. .
No real co ordination. .
We won the game cos we had better players. . .thats all. . .

and the SA team was just below par. . .
my street 11 woulda done better. .

Not taking anything away from the win though, but its not worth celebrating. . .
Nothing special, no effects. . .until Kanu came in before some lil stuvzz started happening. . .

We still have a long way to go. A very long way infact. . .

Play a team like Angola or Ivory Coast away and win, then we can start talking. .
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by DrKitaun(m): 1:23pm On Jun 02, 2008
@Justkunmi

no special effects before Kanu came in ?

what of Uche Kalu ? Utaka ? undecided

see these guys live in anoda world entirely, the pressmen have made them to believe their own hype, so for that THEY LIVED UP TO THEIR OWN STANDARDS !

no one is celebrating them, we have just said they showed flashes of brilliance tongue
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by justkunmi(m): 1:31pm On Jun 02, 2008
Kit
With the shameless way the SA team played yesterday, a goal margin of 2-0 was just too poor. 3 players woulda easily gotten hattricks. . .but we were as usual. complacent. .

Didn't you notice how they held on to the ball longer than usual. Mikel, Utaka and Aiyegbeni were the chief culprits. There was an instance Mikel was in the middle. He had Uche infront of him and Utaka to the right. It was just sensible to either lay it off to Utaka for a cross or find a way of giving Uche, but the buffoon held to the ball, tried to dribble and he was dispossed. This happened a countless times and I was just irritated, .

Even Taiye Taiwo was tryin to "show skills". For what ke?? He lost the ball and was laughing. . .
I felt like kicking him to last week!!!!

Amodu had better go figure out how to bring down their individual play and make them play together. .

We want a brilliant team, not brilliant players. .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

African Cups: Plateau United & Bayelsa Queens Crash Out As Rivers United Qualify / Pat Lampard Is Laid To Rest / Latest Soccer Transfer News And Rumours Involving African Players

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.