Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,542 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Road to World Cup 2010 - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Road to World Cup 2010 (7053 Views)

Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) / Nigeria Vs South Korea: 2 - 2 @ World Cup 2010, June 22 / Amodu Will Go To World Cup- NFF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by texazzpete(m): 1:38pm On Jun 02, 2008
Dr Kitaun:

na wa o . . .

so because they had a performance less than that of the green eagles of old that amounts to mediocrity shocked lipsrsealed

You misunderstand my point. I'm not comparing them to the green eagles. I'm comparing them to a generic template of how a 'serious' team should be.

I'm also trying to point out that the scoreline and the possession stats were more a reflection of how pathetic the south african side was.

justkunmi:

Kit
With the shameless way the SA team played yesterday, a goal margin of 2-0 was just too poor. 3 players woulda easily gotten hattricks. . .but we were as usual. complacent. .

Didn't you notice how they held on to the ball longer than usual. Mikel, Utaka and Aiyegbeni were the chief culprits. There was an instance Mikel was in the middle. He had Uche infront of him and Utaka to the right. It was just sensible to either lay it off to Utaka for a cross or find a way of giving Uche, but the buffoon held to the ball, tried to dribble and he was dispossed. This happened a countless times and I was just irritated, .

Even Taiye Taiwo was tryin to "show skills". For what ke?? He lost the ball and was laughing. . .
I felt like kicking him to last week!!!!

Amodu had better go figure out how to bring down their individual play and make them play together. .

We want a brilliant team, not brilliant players. .

For once! Someone who actually watched the match with Nigeria's best interests at heart. i clearly remember that dribbling session by mikel.

Why did Amodu give an already big-headed mikel the no. 10 shirt?!
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by justkunmi(m): 1:51pm On Jun 02, 2008
texazzpete
the number 10 shirt is sacred!!!. .
Only tested proven players than can carry the team on his shoulders should wear that number,
Check any football team club or country. .
Presently, there's no one in the team that fits that profile, .so the number, to me, should be kept till someone comes along or till Mikel becomes responsible. .

Amodu has a lot of work on his hands. . . i hope he can manage. .
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tkb417(m): 2:11pm On Jun 02, 2008
@J-k
we dont have a good team neither do we have brilliant players!!!
The best 9ja player warms the bench in Chelsea abi na Kanu be our best player (lol!)

check the other teams like Mali and CIV and see the profile of der players, u'll be shocked at what u'll see.
The last time these our players converged in Ghana with the rest of Africa, i saw the most pathetic set of eagles since ive been following soccer.
Ninnies just like Jackal will call them

I have no hope for these guys maybe till the Late Yemi Tella boiz come on board.
as for these our eagles, dem be disaster!!!

PS: the number 10 should be snatched with a hot slap from him.
who dash monkey banana? number 10 ko, number 100 ni
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by DrKitaun(m): 2:38pm On Jun 02, 2008
ok . . .I agree cool

keep living in the stone age u hear ?

brilliant players indeed ! cool

brilliant team my arse tongue cool
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Xerxes4(m): 2:43pm On Jun 02, 2008
tkb417:

@J-k
we don't have a good team neither do we have brilliant players!!!
The best Nigeria player warms the bench in Chelsea abi na Kanu be our best player (lol!)

check the other teams like Mali and CIV and see the profile of der players, u'll be shocked at what u'll see.
The last time these our players converged in Ghana with the rest of Africa, i saw the most pathetic set of eagles since ive been following soccer.
Ninnies just like Jackal will call them

I have no hope for these guys maybe till the Late Yemi Tella boiz come on board.
as for these our eagles, them be disaster!!!

PS: the number 10 should be snatched with a hot slap from him.
who dash monkey banana? number 10 ko, number 100 ni

U couldn't have analysed this better.
The standard of football in Nigeria has fallen.
Without a doubt, the last Nigerian team i saw that looked a bit decent was Bonfrere Jo's squad in 2000.
The match i saw yesterday was complete rubbish. . . . no verve, no power play, no technical ability.
How many of yesterday's players will make the TUNISIA 94 team? NONE!!!!!!
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Cristalz(f): 10:16pm On Jun 02, 2008
Gosh,i can't believe some of what i'm reading here.Those boys did ok yesterday.Note that i didn't say excellent or some other wonderful-sounding word.They did ok,and got 2 goals.If any of you critics really saw that match,you woulda noticed that those boys have got what it takes to be a steam-rolling team. They just weren't showing it,i'm guessing because they knew SA was no match for 'em,or perhaps they just didn't want to.
Now thats not something any self-respecting Nigerian would condone,as in the whole relaxing thing,but it doesn't mean a wack sentence should be slammed on their heads! They played well and relaxed after they got their goals.Does that mean they are shyte?Even United plays like that sometimes.Do you Mancs crucify them for it?

@texazzpete
I see its only the second half you noticed lacked tangible highlights.Thats because the team relaxed after they got the goals.How come you said nuthin about the first half?Cos from the first half it waz obvious that those boys are capable of making a strong team.They just need more discipline instilled in them,better management and perhaps a little more incentive from the NFA.But if you're talking about skill,talent and pace,dude,they've got it.They just ain't using it well.So don't blindly crucify them because they didn't score 10 goals.Its people like you that run the NFA.Instead of praising a little,constructively criticizing a little more,you just go all out and criticize negatively.If they had lost i'm sure you woulda renounced your citizenship.They won,they deserve a little praise.They can be and shoulda been better.I don't think its fair for you to go all out and murder them because they didn't take SA to the slaughter house.
So the efforts of Mikel,Utaka,Uche,Yobo's head,meant nuthin to you?Shame.They messed up in that they didn't do as well as they should have,but they did ok,and its obvious they are capable of much more.Be a constructive supporter.
I know i'm typing too much,but discipline those guys,get their team coordination/communication going,manage them properly(place the players in effective positions),spice up their pay,and watch them reach their full potential as a team.

@all
All i'm saying is,they haven't gotten there yet,but they can.I didn't say will,i said can.Cos it depends on a lot of factors i pray Amodu can manage,including the players themselves.Those boys have got it,they just need to learn to use it effectively as a team.Meanwhile,give 'em a chance.Easy on the critique,they're not hopeless.

Westerhof,i know you're a foreigner and all,but i miss you.[/
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by doyin13(m): 10:22pm On Jun 02, 2008
Westerhof oversaw the halcyon days of the Super Eagles
but how much that was due to his technical ability or
the fortune of having a strong crop of players to work with
at that particular time is a moot point.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Xerxes4(m): 10:27pm On Jun 02, 2008
@ Doyin13,

So what are u trying to prove?
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by doyin13(m): 10:42pm On Jun 02, 2008
I have a heard a lot of clamoring for Westerhof to come back
because of his previous 'success' leading the team.

Me, I am against it. No more Foreigners, no matter how much of a tan
they might have acquired.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Cristalz(f): 10:46pm On Jun 02, 2008
doyin13:

Westerhof oversaw the halcyon days of the Super Eagles
but how much that was due to his technical ability or
the fortune of having a strong crop of players to work with
at that particular time is a moot point.

Really your post is quite incoherent(u drunk or sumthin?),but i'll try to make what little sense i can of it tongue grin

Westerhof had a strong 'crop' of players to work with,but what good are a strong crop of players when technical ability is lacking?Ask Berti Vogts.Clemens had it all.He was a strict disciplinarian(still is),he had great technical ability,good management skills,and anutha important fact,he bonded with his players.He understood Nigerian football,and Nigerians.
He was tactful,in that when the team got headstrong and stuff,he used Keshi to get through to them.He knew they respected Keshi as a strong leader,and he also respected and was close to Keshi.So he outlined his plots to Keshi when there was trouble and Keshi made his boys see reason.How many of the coaches we've had so far bother to bond with the players?At least to a reasonable extent,not that they become confidants or something.Most coaches don't listen when the players tell them how best they play,how well things can work.Instead they enforce what they want without bothering to properly understand the team.How else can one explain Vogts playing Kanu first half?
This makes the players rebel.They're only human afterall.And they prob'ly attempt making an effort only because they don't want to totally disappoint Nigerians.The NFA  too doesn't help matters.If you noticed,during AFCON the boys had zero drive,minus zero determination.Ever wondered why?I don't think it was entirely their fault.Westerhof knew how to communicate.He listened and taught,disciplined and cajoled,observed and innovated,and got the best out of his players.What more do you want from a coach?
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Xerxes4(m): 10:47pm On Jun 02, 2008
Westerhof is almost a Nigerian now. . . . . .forget the colour of skin. Are u Xenophobic? shocked shocked shocked
This Dutch wizard knows Nigerian football through and through having directed football academies for several years now.
Besides, he knew how to package himself by reporting straight to the Presidency in the military era thus cutting off the NFA twits who don't care about the state of the game in Nigeria.

Westerhof can still deliver. . . . .I don't trust this Amodu with big games.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by doyin13(m): 11:05pm On Jun 02, 2008
Hmm. . . .

You both make it seem like yesterday Westerhof coached the Super Eagles.

Jackal, you were still in diapers when this man last took charge of a Nigerian team.

Nigerian soccer exists in a different context now both locally and internationally.

In the Westerhof era, the national team was a shop window for players wanting
a European football contract.Our players don't need the team as much now. If someone like
Westerhof tries to instill some kind of Abacha era discipline, players with any clout will
laugh in his face.

@Cristalz

As for you, a thick mop of weave usually is evidence of a dim-wit,
but Gorimapa like you, what shall we point to cheesy tongue angry
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Xerxes4(m): 11:11pm On Jun 02, 2008
@ Doyin13,

U are a prat!!!!
Diapers or no diapers. . . . . I saw TUNISIA 94/USA 94 and i know Clemens doesn't give a rat about the so called foreign-based.
Shoot! Egypt won the CAN 2008 with strictly local players so whatz the fuss. . . . . .
How many players in the under 17 squad play outside Nigeria when they won the tournament last summer?
Of course, there are many players better than Mikel Obi, Utaka and Kanu Nwankwo in Lagos State alone(never mind Nigeria) but the scouting system is non-existent or its power/money driven. If my dad does not know Orji Kalu, i cannot play for ma country. grin grin grin
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Cristalz(f): 11:30pm On Jun 02, 2008
@doyin13
You're a two-faced dunce.Thick mop of weave,gorimapa? Thinking of your grandma? grin Now i know you're truly dumber than dumb,numb skull. tongue

Whoever forgets a truly explosive Nigerian soccer team?Westerhof was the best thing that ever happened to Nigerian soccer,whether your dull mind will let you accept it or not,piss-ant.
As for his disciplinary ways,FYI,he wasn't into the whole Abacha schiznit.Gosh,you've got a real twisted imagination.A good team requires discipline.Indisciplined teams behave like those at AFCON that went partying the night before they had a big game.Prob'ly spent the whole night 'servicing' some Ghanian mama too.Then in the morning they woke up thinking they were good to go.Prob'ly dint even get up till noon.You call that discipline?You call a coach that turns a blind eye to such a real coach?
I guess you wouldn't know disciplined behaviour from regimented behaviour even if twaz spelled out to you in your mother tongue.Nigerians have not forgotten and will never forget Westerhof and his team,whether you like it or not dim-sum,so get used to me talking about it like twaz yesterday.

Gawd,therez work tomorrow.What am i doing 'ere? shocked

G'nite doyin the dodo grin
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by doyin13(m): 11:50pm On Jun 02, 2008
For someone who calls herself Cristalz,
your brain sure shines as bright as a NEPA bulb.

I guess your recent stint as a Youth Corper has made
you a discipline freak. tongue tongue I wonder how you cope
with all those randy school children cooing at your
behind when you face the chalkboard. cheesy cheesy

Now listen, I have not defended any recent coaching
oversight, have I? I just don't see the point of going back
when we really should be moving forward with local coaches.

This idea that we can return to a regime that was
easier to establish 14 years ago, frankly qualifies you
to be errrrr. . . . a noble Nigerian schoolteacher. grin

Why don't we call back Bonfere Jo then? He won us
an international title of some repute, did he not?

Or better, the stoic and contemplative Yemi Tella. Let us call
him back from the grave.

Eyin omo rada rada
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Cristalz(f): 12:04am On Jun 03, 2008
@doyin
Anutha evidence of your dull brain- your thinking every corps member is a teacher.Olodo .FYI,i happen to work in a very classy bank tongue

Bonfrere jo?Quit exhibiting your slow-wittedness please. And try show some respect for the dead,slow poke. If the fact that Westerhof is the best coach Nigeria's ever had in ages and that hez more Nigerian than you are is too bitter a pill for your acidic stomach to digest,go stick pins in your jaundiced eyes.

Don't see any reason why i should remain here arguing out points with you that every 9 year old boy can spell out as pure fact.You really are a dodo.

and i don't mean plantain incase thats what you're thinking,dumbie.Ciao.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by doyin13(m): 12:18am On Jun 03, 2008
E be like say you dey related to WESTERHOF.

That would explain this attachment.

Like I said, na memory loss dey affect una

Westerhof caused me as much agony as Vogts did, during his tenure.

Losing 5-1 to Algeria, losing to Ghana in the ACN semifinal, losing out
to Cameroun for the Italia '90 stakes. . . . . .

So forgive me if I am not as enamored as you are with the Westerhof period.

B T W Classy bank job ko, Suleja Academy ni

Na who dash Tse Tse fly.

. . . . . .Anyways I don't know how our 'discussions' degenerated into slanging matches
but I think its gotten a bit infantile. So henceforth, I will desist from throwing any snide remarks
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by DrKitaun(m): 1:27am On Jun 03, 2008
@Doyin

am not sure u know who Westerhof is . . . undecided
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Xerxes4(m): 1:37am On Jun 03, 2008
doyin13:

E be like say you dey related to WESTERHOF.

That would explain this attachment.

Like I said, na memory loss dey affect una

Westerhof caused me as much agony as Vogts did, during his tenure.

Losing 5-1 to Algeria, losing to Ghana in the ACN semifinal, losing out
to Cameroun for the Italia '90 stakes. . . . . .

So forgive me if I am not as enamored as you are with the Westerhof period.

B T W Classy bank job ko, Suleja Academy ni

Na who dash Tse Tse fly.

. . . . . .Anyways I don't know how our 'discussions' degenerated into slanging matches
but I think its gotten a bit infantile. So henceforth, I will desist from throwing any snide remarks

And he was still the same manager that won the ACN in 1994(14 years after the defunct GREEN EAGLES) won it.
It's not coincidence that he is the last manager to win it. . . . . .
Who was the 1st manager to take Nigeria to the world cup and even qualified for the knock-out stages?
Westerhof made stars out of Finidi, Amuneke, Oliseh, Okocha and many others.
At this point, i think u need to go read and digest more about Nigerian football in the mid-90s.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by doyin13(m): 2:00am On Jun 03, 2008
Oh my God. . . .

Are you disputing the Senegal '92, Algiers '90 and Italia '90 results.?

I am not in any way trying to dismiss his achievements, but there are not
so stellar to warrant a recall as some are clamoring for.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tosinadeda: 2:09am On Jun 03, 2008
Leave tori abeg!
A coach is rememberd 4 his success and not his failures!
And wen ur success surpasses that of other coaches,then ure d best period!
No1 is disputing wut u said.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Xerxes4(m): 2:09am On Jun 03, 2008
Algiers 90. . . . .
Granted, he lost 5-1 in the opening game but he still pushed the team to the final and lost 0-1 to Algeria(the host country).

Senegal 92. . . .
Nigeria lost to the better side(GHANA). They had the talismanic Abedi Pele who was inarguably the best player in Africa as at then.
They also had Nee Odartey Lamptey. . . . .the young Ghananian who blazed Italia 91(under 17 tournament). He was the Messi of Africa.
There was nuthing Westerhof could have done given the shambolic way our NFA tend to manage the football association.

Italia 90 qualifiers was just ill-luck.
We lost 1-0 to Cameroon in Yaounde. I think the goalie was stretchered out when he lost his tooth.
The replacement didn't even dress for the match and Nigeria crashed out.
However, he took the team to the world cup in the following edition. . . . . beating everyone from Cote D'Ivore to Algeria to fuckver.
He is still Nigeria's most successful manager.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Esss(m): 2:31am On Jun 03, 2008
Clement Westerhoff is still the king of Nigerian football as far as managing the team is concerned.

He built his team from locally manufactured boys. And watched his boys grow into men. How come ever since his crop of players exited the national team we are yet to assemble another 11 that can send jitters down the spine of an opposing team. His technical management of the team was impeccable. When he analyses Nigerian football on supers sports, it's like listening to someone read from the manual of how the super eagles should function. How many people today would play a Yekini Rashidi on the pitch. Looking at him by sight, he was nothing to write home about.

Till today, we are yet to replace the following player in the national team Sunday Oliseh, Finidi George, Emmanuel Amunike, Daniel Amokachi, Samson Siasia, Tijani Babangida, just to name a few.

The super eagles I grew up knowing is no more. two nil over south Africa and we want to declare public holiday, what happened to them in Ghana. I still regret going to the staduim to see that match.

If westerhoff wants to return to the team, I'll say only in an advisory capacity and not team handler. We need to find some new exceptional players again. What baffles me is that our junior teams are doing way better than the senior team, why?? Is it that the boys expire even before they reach the senior team or what?
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Xerxes4(m): 2:40am On Jun 03, 2008
Esss:

Clement Westerhoff is still the king of Nigerian football as far as managing the team is concerned.

He built his team from locally manufactured boys. And watched his boys grow into men. How come ever since his crop of players exited the national team we are yet to assemble another 11 that can send jitters down the spine of an opposing team. His technical management of the team was impeccable. When he analyses Nigerian football on supers sports, it's like listening to someone read from the manual of how the super eagles should function. How many people today would play a Yekini Rashidi on the pitch. Looking at him by sight, he was nothing to write home about.

Till today, we are yet to replace the following player in the national team Sunday Oliseh, Finidi George, Emmanuel Amunike, Daniel Amokachi, Samson Siasia, Tijani Babangida, just to name a few.

The super eagles I grew up knowing is no more. two nil over south Africa and we want to declare public holiday, what happened to them in Ghana. I still regret going to the staduim to see that match.

If westerhoff wants to return to the team, I'll say only in an advisory capacity and not team handler. We need to find some new exceptional players again. What baffles me is that our junior teams are doing way better than the senior team, why?? Is it that the boys expire even before they reach the senior team or what?

I agree with u 100%.
The Super Eagles of Westerhof takes about 2 seconds to turn defence into attack. . . . . The time of travel of the ball from Goalkeeper to Yekini is less than 3-4 seconds. . . . . There's the attacking verve, tenacity and the hunger to score mouth-watering goals.
Oliseh was like Roman Riquelme in 1994. . . . . .One long pass and Yekini controls with his thigh and bang!!!!!!!!
When was the last time we saw that. . . . . .all u get to see today is Martins and Kanu running around like poofs. . . . .
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Cristalz(f): 6:19am On Jun 03, 2008
doyin13:

I'm sooooo irresistible,especially when it comes to slanging matches cheesy tongue grin
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by ritchboy(m): 9:20am On Jun 03, 2008
'a thick mop of weave usually is evidence of a dim-wit, but Gorimapa like you, what shall we point to'
grin grin grin
Funniest shit i've read all month
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Fadajasi(m): 6:29pm On Jun 03, 2008
Ok,all said well,now lets talk about our next match
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by tkb417(m): 6:38pm On Jun 03, 2008
Westerhof is almost a Nigerian now. . . .
yes. hes also a Chav.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by nazzyon(m): 8:51am On Jun 05, 2008
UP COMING MATCHES
Sierra Leone Nigeria
07/06/2008 FREETOWN FIFA World Cup™ Qualifier

We have to win this match.

We have to qualify.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Fadajasi(m): 8:10pm On Jun 06, 2008
Are they showing the Sierria leone vs Nigeria match on local stations?
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by nazzyon(m): 8:51pm On Jun 06, 2008
Come on. It is a Nigerian match; it is a must for TV stations to show it.
Re: Road to World Cup 2010 by Fadajasi(m): 10:21pm On Jun 06, 2008
Its a must but will they show it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

African Cups: Plateau United & Bayelsa Queens Crash Out As Rivers United Qualify / Pat Lampard Is Laid To Rest / AFCON 2012: Cote d'Ivoire Vs Equatorial Guinea (3 - 0) On 4th February 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.