Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,906 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:48 AM

Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution (16249 Views)

Intrigues Over Senate Presidency: Ndume, Ekweremadu, Adamu Eye Saraki’s Seat / Olisa Metuh Goes On Hunger Strike / Army Reacts To Hunger Strike By Reinstated Soldiers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Lanrefahm(m): 12:32pm On Aug 07, 2013
U guys are making it sound like slavery, no 1 is coming to force ur daughter and d its not child marriage its an early marriage, d earlier the better 4. Lots of benefit is associated with dis if dis early marriage is pass into law

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by emorse(m): 12:33pm On Aug 07, 2013
Watermelon: This is hypocrisy, many of those ajebo children threatening hunger strike have kids of their ages as househelps in their various homes being maltreated. Some of the maids who are lucky enough to be sent to school leave for school as late as 12noon with tattered uniform, swollen faces, scars from multiple and severe beating, and limp most times. Those over pampered kids are blind to this type of abuse perpetrated by their parents.
Charity begins at home, remove the speck in your eyes to enable you see your neighbour's. Leave yerima and the north to sort out their problem while you face your own

Two wrongs....
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by emorse(m): 12:35pm On Aug 07, 2013
Lanrefahm: U guys are making it sound like slavery, no 1 is coming to force ur daughter and d its not child marriage its an early marriage, d earlier the better 4. Lots of benefit is associated with dis if dis early marriage is pass into law

*speechless*
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by hardbody: 12:37pm On Aug 07, 2013
Which children are we talking about? I have asked my small cousins and nieces and they have assured me that since what Yerima is saying does not concern them, they have no business with going hungry. Brilliant chaps if you ask me.

For the other children, may i warn that there is something called ulcer. But sha, them no go even fit try am. the smell of Indomie will kill the hunger strike immediately

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by emorse(m): 12:43pm On Aug 07, 2013
@lanrefahm
Bros, if you take hard drugs, you'll most likely cause harm to YOUR OWN BODY. Yet they are illegal. Even though nobody can FORCE you to take them.
By the way, can you please list some of the benefits of "early"(age 0-17) marriage?
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Donmichaelz(m): 12:45pm On Aug 07, 2013
Which children?mine? Yours? Abi seun's smiley u gat to be kidding I don't have money for obituary poster
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Akeud(m): 12:58pm On Aug 07, 2013
Tell Yerima to withdraw his statement now!

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 1:16pm On Aug 07, 2013
who is forcing any body for early mariage? ...
NOBODY

*nonsense*

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by handmaid: 1:20pm On Aug 07, 2013
emorse:

The fact that its been they for so long doesn't make it right. Even worse is the fact that its still there only because of one man's selfish interest. That's more than enough reason for the "out cry" if you ask me.

you know what? I agree with you. My only major concern is that it all appears hypocritical (to me) that the 'people' now suddenly want that provision done away with by all means whereas it's bn there all this while and no (known) move was made.
If the senator hadn't moved for an amendment, we all would have bn going about our daily activities like that section didn't exist

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Baddestguyp(m): 1:21pm On Aug 07, 2013
Lanrefahm: U guys are making it sound like slavery, no 1 is coming to force ur daughter and d its not child marriage its an early marriage, d earlier the better 4. Lots of benefit is associated with dis if dis early marriage is pass into law
i sure say u bi Yerima pikin
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Baddestguyp(m): 1:29pm On Aug 07, 2013
hardbody: Which children are we talking about? I have asked my small cousins and nieces and they have assured me that since what Yerima is saying does not concern them, they have no business with going hungry. Brilliant chaps if you ask me.

For the other children, may i warn that there is something called ulcer. But sha, them no go even fit try am. the smell of Indomie will kill the hunger strike immediately
grin lol, u wan kil person wit laugh cheesy U should be advicing ur small cousins to join d strike, dey r the future o grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by emorse(m): 1:45pm On Aug 07, 2013
handmaid:

you know what? I agree with you. My only major concern is that it all appears hypocritical (to me) that the 'people' now suddenly want that provision done away with by all means whereas it's bn there all this while and no (known) move was made.
If the senator hadn't moved for an amendment, we all would have bn going about our daily activities like that section didn't exist

Better late than never my bro/sis. We have been going about our normal activities all these while and some people have been suffering in silence. Take for example, the 17yr old girl that allegedly killed her husband recently. Another positive that could come out of this(if the constitution is finally amended) is the self belief it would instill in us. We just might grow strong enough to tackle our leaders on other pressing issues.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Noali: 2:02pm On Aug 07, 2013
What is confusing me about this child marriage stuff is that don't those foolish senators also have children? What will they do if they were the ones that they're children were being married off at the age of 9?
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Lanrefahm(m): 2:15pm On Aug 07, 2013
all i see in u guys making noise about dis thing is fear, i am seeing people who always over react. u guys fight with emotions instead of knowledge. knowledge is power 4 ur info
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Nobody: 2:31pm On Aug 07, 2013
I NO KNW Y OOO,I HEAR SAY PROSTITUTE WAN JOIN D CHILDREN FR D STRIKE.....IT MAY BE CONNECTED WTH THE EFFECT OF EARLY MARRIAGE ON THR BUSINESS
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:46pm On Aug 07, 2013
Yungwizzzy: make dem nor try am ooo
hunger go just kill dem
our senators are never moved by protests

Let them do that. If any of those children is reported dead.....then say RIP to Nigerian government. The revolution dragon will be let out of it dungeon. When it turns to bloody revolutional movement, then you will know that your senators will be moved.

sodom and gomorah is looming into Nigeria
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Jccy(f): 3:19pm On Aug 07, 2013
K
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Jccy(f): 3:19pm On Aug 07, 2013
OK
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by deebrain(m): 3:35pm On Aug 07, 2013
emmysenior: Ibadan children be like: iya mi! Funmi another ofada rice. Oyo for them o... We no dey. grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by precybaby: 3:48pm On Aug 07, 2013
I can't believe fellow Nigerians are trying to mock the chidren for standing to d occassion instead of encouraging them.imagine your ten year old sister giving you wine to drink for her wedding when she should be a flower girl, how would you feel? I don't blame them for that since the adults can't help,I pray God will see them through....under-age marriage is a sad news.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Hartarmah(m): 3:53pm On Aug 07, 2013
They r actually responding to issue dt concerns dem d mur.Even if it is sumone dt is instigating dt,it is ryt tyn to do cus dey knw d adults had failed dem by keeping shut on d issue dey wuld ve addressed.U beta support dem cus u r still going to give birth or u ve given birth
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Kgdavid(m): 4:02pm On Aug 07, 2013
this forum is full of fools. ignorant silly fools who think that life is all about fun and games. in a country where children have to stand up and speak for themselves because their elders only know how to make silly useless and worthless jokes on the internet!! congratulations, dear fools, we as a country have now joined the ranks of pakistan, india and afghanistan as the last remaining bastions of glorious shame, of progressive backwardness, of insiduous ingenuis stupidity. bunch of failures!!!!!

may God bless those kids who at age 13 are far more articulate than 95% of you on this forum. may their voice be heard and may the one who defends the cause of the weak, answer on their behalf. shame on you able bodied fools who worship food. shame on you able bodied mental infants who cannot fathom the concept of sacrifice, of fighting for what is right and just, of giving up comfort for the greater good! if i were in Nigeria i would stand beside these brave intelligent kids but i can't be there physically. you are privileged to be there with an opportunity to effect powerful change and all you can do is make jokes? shame.

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Chomzy19(f): 4:09pm On Aug 07, 2013
~ZN~:
The ignorance making the rounds on this issue is just baffling.

There's a Child's Right Act in place (enforced in over 20states). The senators were not trying to set any law on Marriage Eligibility.
for ur small mind na, so wen there is a conflict b/w d child Rights Act n d constitution wch one prevails? ana ako ofu i ne me ITK
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by AyeeIdris(f): 4:42pm On Aug 07, 2013
So despite all the explanations and threads opened to explain Section 29(4), people still think it allows child marriage or underage marriage at all. (hits head on the wall)

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Empedocles(m): 4:54pm On Aug 07, 2013
d wrds of kgdavid dishrtens me how come d kids re compelled to spk fo dem selvs......d role models fedas and leaders re d nitemare d children stands up against u mite laf at deir courage but by virtue of d fury bein provoked in me by d ludicrosty of dis act.i will do everytin witin my power to support d kids who can stand up for deir rite even wen we d older ones cant....god hlp d course
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by emorse(m): 4:56pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ayee Idris: So despite all the explanations and threads opened to explain Section 29(4), people still think it allows child marriage or underage marriage at all. (hits head on the wall)

What explanations ma'am? That its only about the denouncement of citizenship ba? Can you then tell us how a girl under the age of 18 can be deemed to be of "full age"? She has to be MARRIED right? Doesn't that say to you that the constitution supports underage marriage?
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by lafuria1(m): 4:58pm On Aug 07, 2013
Ayee Idris: So despite all the explanations and threads opened to explain Section 29(4), people still think it allows child marriage or underage marriage at all. (hits head on the wall)

well people have choosen not to learn. the issue is like cocaine to some people, the need to recycle it. as for me, i will just observe.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by lafuria1(m): 5:10pm On Aug 07, 2013
emorse:

What explanations ma'am? That its only about the denouncement of citizenship ba? Can you then tell us how a girl under the age of 18 can be deemed to be of "full age"? She has to be MARRIED right? Doesn't that say to you that the constitution supports underage marriage?

it still doesnt, since 21 states have the child right act, it means the constitution age is still 18 but under the sharia and customary law, there aint age limit which means a girl under 18 can marry. unless you are using the sharia or customary law, you have nothing to worry. that clause is there to cater for those under the sharia and customary law. even in a court of law that section isnt a loophole.

anyway, the fact remains the constitution marriage is still 18 nothing was changed.
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by Kingspin(m): 5:39pm On Aug 07, 2013
Living in the past-lane... If education cant tell them than Children should go ahead..
Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by phildon: 5:45pm On Aug 07, 2013
emorse:

Ok, let's assume Section 29(4)(b) is deleted from the Constitution as you claim to prefer. Can you then quote any section in the Constitution that would prevent me from marrying an under 18?

1 Like

Re: Child Marriage - Children Threaten Hunger Strike Over Senate’s Resolution by abeladams(m): 5:50pm On Aug 07, 2013
eGuerrilla:

Source
i so much love dis... Let dem go ahead

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reminder: Sunday Oliseh Is NOT Igbo / I Have No Problem With Igbos Leaving Nigeria. Infact I Encourage It. / What Happened In Osun And Ekiti States Will Not Happen Again' - Nyesom Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.