Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,414 members, 7,819,487 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? (6977 Views)

Niger-Delta Militants Bomb Pipeline In Under Water Attack / Explosion Hits Agip Pipeline In Bayelsa / Ex-militants Blow-Up Pipeline In Delta State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:18am On Aug 13, 2013
Kai..... see ignorance.

SO u folks think the gas being piped to power plants or flared is the same as domestic cooking gas?

cheesy

This is why Nl arguments are never a good idea
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Maxymilliano(m): 9:20am On Aug 13, 2013
Nigerians are capable of anything but vandalizing GAS pipeline with the attendant risk involved sound absurd and unthinkable ...

It beg the questions, how can any sane human vandalize gas pipeline and to what end?
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Mcdondayan: 9:23am On Aug 13, 2013
If the gas does not get to the power station, there will be no power supply, and you will keep buying generating set. And the cycle continues.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by fr3do(m): 9:23am On Aug 13, 2013
@op
one would vandalise gas pipelines so as to sabotage power generation.
Some people earn a great deal from the supply of diesel and generators.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Nerosoft19(m): 9:24am On Aug 13, 2013
illiteracy...
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by back2sender: 9:36am On Aug 13, 2013
in Nigeria if you want answer ask OTEDOLLARS & his fellow cabals and ogas at the top(GOVT) who have denied Nigerians regular power supply.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by olate: 9:49am On Aug 13, 2013
billante:

Exactly! but who will take the pain and effort of causing leaks in a gas pipeline,what does he intend to gain with that?
Nebo has said that it cost the govt about 27 million to have the gas pipe lines fixed if vandalised and that most times the part cut or removed is sold at less than 10,000 naira. So who do you think gains? No be who want contract when him go for hammer big go make sure say them dabaru the pipeline?

1 Like

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by ITbomb(m): 10:05am On Aug 13, 2013
The other plausible reason is that vandals may mistake it for a crude oil pipeline and only abandon it when they see no oil gushing out.
Mind you , where vandalism happens is in remote areas where there is no Signpost of gas/oil pipelines. They might just get an info that there is a pipe underneath
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 13, 2013
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 13, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: ** Gas pipeline vandalism politically motivated, says FG- Premium Times

The government said about 1,600MW has been lost to vandalism and other factors.

The Federal Government on Monday said the gas pipelines vandalism, responsible for the loss of about 1,600 megawatts of electricity, was largely, politically motivated.

The Minister of Power, Chinedu Nebo, said this while briefing State House correspondents on the outcome of joint meeting of the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC) and National Council on Privatisation (NCP).

The meeting, presided over by Vice President Namadi Sambo, was attended by Governors Gabriel Suswam of Benue, Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta, Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti and Theodore Orji of Abia.

“I think it is instructive for the entire populace to know what has been happening recently.

“It is important to note that with regard to the busting of gas pipelines and vandalism of the pipelines that bring gas to the generating plants, it is not any significant in commercial value behind the action.

“It is sheer madness and may be essentially politically motivated just to cause damage to the entire country and to Nigerians.

“The ones that we find to be commercially motivated are also very painful. For instance, one of our Distribution Companies (DISCO) encountered vandalism of transformers.

“What these young men steal from the transformers is copper. When you now put the total sum of the most recent one that they vandalised, all the copper they collected that they will sell as scrap,was not worth up to N10, 000.
“But, in the interim they have knocked off one million people from power supply and also of course it caused the DISCO N27 million to fix the damage,” he said.

Mr. Nebo recalled that about few months back, the western axis of the gas pipeline leading to the power plants in the west was cannibalised.

He said the vandalism resulted in very severe damages that caused asharp drop in power supply.

“That has since been addressed and the damages are being repaired; but unfortunately a couple of weeks ago, the Akoloma plant in the Eastern axis was also vandalised.

“The damages are quiet extensive, but a crack team of experts went to work and restored it.

“The team brought out gas supply and ensured that the shut down axis was open and the Afam, both four and six, were on board again.

“But unfortunately when people were rejoicing in parts of the country where power supply was stabilising, another sabotage was discovered a few day ago and Akoloma was also vandalised.

“Right now it is also being addressed and it is hoped that as they finish the evacuation of the condensed stage that they will start pumping gas.

“And we are hoping that the plant in Afam will be back running in a few days time,’’ he said.

The minister also said that water level in Kainji, Shiroro and Jebba hydro power plants “are quite low right now’’ and also partly responsible for the power drop.

He said the low water level of the dams was responsible for a loss of about 460 megawatts of electricity from the total 1,600 loss.

“We are hoping with the help of nature, it will come on board very shortly so that the 460 Mega Watts already lost because of water level will be recovered,’’ he said.

Speaking in same vein, Mr. Suswamsaid that the consistent vandalism of the gas pipelines was an act of sabotage. He said government must intensify efforts at arresting those responsible for the act and bring them to book.

“The efforts and the huge amount of money being expended by government to ensure Nigerians enjoy constant supply of electricity is being sabotaged by some unknown individuals whose motivation is actually not known to anybody.

“The challenge to the minister is to ensure that Nigerians are sensitised and be more conscious of the fact that this electricity is not Jonathan’s electricity; it is electricity meant for Nigerians,’’ he said.

(NAN)

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/142643-gas-pipeline-vandalism-politically-motivated-says-fg.html
Boko Haram is causing havoc in the north while Tinubu's boys are vandalising power infrastructure in the south. Every weapon fashioned against my fatherland shall not prosper. The activities of these bad elements, though may cause temporary setbacks, but eventually it shall come to nullity.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by prettyify(f): 10:35am On Aug 13, 2013
If you only know the amount of oil and gas Nigeria produces in a day, and the country still remains in hell. The question should be "Why wouldn't someone vandalize a gas or oil pipeline in Nigeria" cry
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Uzzie: 10:37am On Aug 13, 2013
fr3do:

the gas oil companies flare and domestic cooking gas are different.the former is saturated with impurities and cant be used in its raw form even by industries.
The gas used to produce electricity is partially purified and then liquified.

this is not entirely true, gas produced on these fields are also used to power the turbines without liquefaction.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Uzzie: 10:38am On Aug 13, 2013
ITbomb: The other plausible reason is that vandals may mistake it for a crude oil pipeline and only abandon it when they see no oil gushing out.
Mind you , where vandalism happens is in remote areas where there is no Signpost of gas/oil pipelines. They might just get an info that there is a pipe underneath
Gbam...my thoughts actually
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Reference(m): 10:52am On Aug 13, 2013
Which kind of question is this. Why will a fulani cowboy walk around with an AK-47. Its the same thing. To protect his assets. Those who own the gas don't want you taking it so they will disrupt, degrade and ultimately destroy your gas assets. Its only in Nigeria that people don't understand this and the fact that development has a price.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by juman(m): 11:02am On Aug 13, 2013
gbadexy:
You got it perfectly, some people benefiting from the darkness want to main the status quo.
I so much support summary execution for anyone caught.
Imagine inconveniencing millions for the greed of few!

Why are you deceiving yourself.

What are those "leaders" doing with the country's money?

nigeria is a country of 53 years but everything is upside down.

Even the military rulers that ruled with DECREE, failed woefully.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Reference(m): 11:05am On Aug 13, 2013
This is perhaps the darkest vestage of military rule our inability to 'sort' ourselves out when it comes to resource control and like I often say the ongoing militarization of the Niger-Delta will get us no where. The whole armed forces of this country will not be able to prevent resource control just as they cannot stop the cultivation of beans, maize or cannabis.

If our future development is tied tnd power and power is tied to oil and gas and oil and gas is tied to a poor, depraved, ignorant and oppressed people then FG Wilson will continue as the cousin of Nigeria.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by collins123(m): 11:14am On Aug 13, 2013
HUNGER
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 13, 2013
Hmmm

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by kel4soft: 11:34am On Aug 13, 2013
And i also believe as a leader of the nation, you should have brace up to challenges. I hate when people give excuses of sabotage as failure to apprehend the culprits. If our President dont have the political will to stop those bastards, them why is he getting our sympathy? Is not like the pipeline is in the north to cry out blue murder. Is in the south south. So who is sabotaging who? To be frank, he is paid to secure the lives and properties of Nigeria and if he cant do that. He should resign or better still take a drastic step by dividing the country. Why was Prof. Nnaji removed to be succeeded by this incompetent Prof that is clueless? So many bad eggs to be done with in this administration before real progress can happen.
Lies beckons in this administration.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Opoki(m): 11:35am On Aug 13, 2013
Are you asking why? Maybe you need to relocate back to naija and see how life is difficult for an average naija.
If you need why, I'm gonna give you some.
1. Nigerian Govt is the biggest joke ever, spending #10bn to mark 50yrs anniversary whereas according to WHO, just 22% of the population has access to clean water!
2. The poverty rate is extremely high and folks are ready to cut corners to reduce the gap just like the Somalia pirates. Compare Somalia country map of 2002 with that of 2010, you'll see what I'm talking about!
3. The level of of mismanagement and maladministration within the government officials is extremely high. Why would the likes of Farook Lawan, Alams and others be alive while there mates in China, Saudi Arabia, UAE has been committed to mother earth.
4. The level of infrastructures is extremely poor, we've not had electricity for more than 3yrs, my friend, if i have access to pipeline, I'll break it just to have my fair-share in the national cake.
5. The last, people are looking hope in the government, police and above all in themselves. This is the only reason why BOKO HARAM may never be the thing of the past because many people are ready to take up arms to fight this extreme infidelity using the platform of religion.

So Mr. Dickhead, think with your medulla and not with your olfactory lobe when next you want to post here.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 13, 2013
nuclearboy:

Its always been a lie! Only when liquid condensate gets into the lines do issues occur but this lie of gas-line vandalization is just a ruse to cover up incompetence!

Note that these are highly pressurized pipes and any leak(s) are almost guaranteed to cause explosions!

Lol. Thats exactly what I was thinking.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by kel4soft: 11:50am On Aug 13, 2013
Opoki: Are you asking why? Maybe you need to relocate back to naija and see how life is difficult for an average naija.
If you need why, I'm gonna give you some.
1. Nigerian Govt is the biggest joke ever, spending #10bn to mark 50yrs anniversary whereas according to WHO, just 22% of the population has access to clean water!
2. The poverty rate is extremely high and folks are ready to cut corners to reduce the gap just like the Somalia pirates. Compare Somalia country map of 2002 with that of 2010, you'll see what I'm talking about!
3. The level of of mismanagement and maladministration within the government officials is extremely high. Why would the likes of Farook Lawan, Alams and others be alive while there mates in China, Saudi Arabia, UAE has been committed to mother earth.
4. The level of infrastructures is extremely poor, we've not had electricity for more than 3yrs, my friend, if i have access to pipeline, I'll break it just to have my fair-share in the national cake.
5. The last, people are looking hope in the government, police and above all in themselves. This is the only reason why BOKO HARAM may never be the thing of the past because many people are ready to take up arms to fight this extreme infidelity using the platform of religion.

So Mr. Dickhead, think with your medulla and not with your olfactory lobe when next you want to post here.
Enough of recycling our problems in order to make a point. Even an infant knows our leaders are corrupt including the citizens. What we need are leaders that are ready to make changes, that are pragmatic and not afraid to step on toes. I dont see this in GEJ, sorry to my Ijaw brothers (i am one). That said, the only toes he GEJ stepped on was politically and has nothing to do with the ordinary man on the street. I.e sideling OBJ in their last PDP convention. The fuel subsidy he also took, he ended up bottling it, when he decided to back track, even the culprits are together in Aso Rock with him.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Dbeliever(m): 11:52am On Aug 13, 2013
Gas is a natural resource that God has blessed Nigeria with. The monies in billions generated every day by the government through export and local comsuption of this natural resource is not being accounted for by the government. Infact, this natural resource is not meant for Nigeria but for Nigerians. So can you imagine Nigeria selling this natural resource at huge sum of money on daily basis while 70% of its citizens cannot survive with $1 per day for a househood meal. Don't tell me u don't understand what iam talking about. Alieson Madueke should be concerned with how to make a dudicious use of the billions and not about the illegal bunkering. Nigeria ll one day have a petroleun minister who will emulate General Muhammadu Buhari.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by phil5(m): 12:10pm On Aug 13, 2013
Hmm, the gas pipe line conveys a deferent type of gas ,cause it has gone under further processing rather than the flared one that costs a hell to do so ,

I live very close to th kaduna refinery and I have seen that sometimes my mouth is left open , u will pity our atmosphere if u see the level of gas flared that sometimes leave the sky black 4 hours ,eSpecially nw that they are on 65% operation in terms of capacity ,

Nw who will vandalise a pipe conveying gas without the heavy equipment needed to do so ,all these are don with the help of those who still cm and tell us dat our pipe has been vandalised ,

Were do the vessels pass through or u won tell me say all those vessels weh they dey take carry stolen crude they fly or disappear ,the truth needs to be told not sold.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Kevsman(m): 12:31pm On Aug 13, 2013
daz nigeria for u
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by OkaIfere(m): 12:40pm On Aug 13, 2013
sometimes, it's to get the attention of the "supposed" leaders that are leading the people!! it's similar to terrorists that kill innocent and helpless people on the streets to get attention. grin
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by newleaf247: 1:35pm On Aug 13, 2013
[size=25pt]reason: all oil-pipeline vandals believe all underground pipeline network are potential petrol or deisel pipes. nothing else.[/size]
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Akainzo(m): 4:00pm On Aug 13, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Boko Haram is causing havoc in the north while Tinubu's boys are vandalising power infrastructure in the south. Every weapon fashioned against my fatherland shall not prosper. The activities of these bad elements, though may cause temporary setbacks, but eventually it shall come to nullity.

So you believe Tinubu boys are the ones vandalizing pipelines within the creeks of the Niger Delta?
It is amusing the depths of foolishness that you people will go to try and pin your inadequacies on others.

For all the power plants being expected, how many new kilometers of pipelines have been constructed in Nigeria? We want gas powered power plants yet we do not build gas pipelines to these power plants. Would they be solar powered?

1 Like

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by wy2000(m): 8:15pm On Aug 13, 2013
*Kails*:

Lol. Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Its more than possible.. read this
First they drill a hole most of the way through, and then they use a rubber mallet to crack open the pipe without making a spark. They insert a valve into the hole and then attach it to a tanker truck with a hose. The whole procedure takes about 20 minutes. You can also tap into a pipeline to steal natural gas.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2005/12/how_do_you_steal_gas_from_a_pipeline.html
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by micfoley: 9:45pm On Aug 13, 2013
I thought I was the only one who found this excuse laughable. Whose dutyis it to protet the pipelines in the first place?
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by philogos4: 4:43am On Aug 14, 2013
WHICH KIND QUESTION BE THIS, NOBI MONEY MATTER.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafrans Almost Killed Mr Biafraudd In Aba ds evening / Military Power — Ten Most Powerful African Nations / Oh My God Check Out What Tinubu Did Not Have In 1999 But He Has Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.