Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,706 members, 7,809,686 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:07 PM

Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? (6971 Views)

Niger-Delta Militants Bomb Pipeline In Under Water Attack / Explosion Hits Agip Pipeline In Bayelsa / Ex-militants Blow-Up Pipeline In Delta State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by billante(m): 2:44pm On Aug 12, 2013
I have been trying so hard to understand this scenario but i cant make sense out of it as hard as i try to....coupled especially with the recent excuse the power minister gave of the low electricity power generation the country is experiencing now, it has increased my urge to really understand this puzzle

How and Why would someone go and vandalize a Gas pipeline in nigeria??

If its a crude or refine product pipeline thats understandable....But Capturing gas from a ruptured pipeline, doesn't it need a delicate and special equipment for that?

The same Gas they are taking that huge risk to steal, is it not the same gas Oil companies flare at their oil fields? that is even excess load to them.....if those vandals really need the gas,cant they go to those oil fields where gas is a waste and is being flared and those oil companies will give it to them free of charge.

Am i getting this thing all wrong?

Someone should enlighten me........

1 Like

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by nedu2000(m): 3:09pm On Aug 12, 2013
You can't simple walk to a gas plant and they'll give you the gas free!!!& besides by cutting an opening in the pipe,a vandal can swiftly connect his facility to pipe & get the gas he needs......dis can even be done by semi-crude means,up naija!!!
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by nuclearboy(m): 3:57pm On Aug 12, 2013
billante: I have been trying so hard to understand this scenario but i cant make sense out of it as hard as i try to....coupled especially with the recent excuse the power minister gave of the low electricity power generation the country is experiencing now, it has increased my urge to really understand this puzzle

How and Why would someone go and vandalize a Gas pipeline in nigeria??

If its a crude or refine product pipeline thats understandable....But Capturing gas from a ruptured pipeline doesn't it need a delicate and special equipment for that?

The same Gas they are taking that huge risk to steal, is it not the same gas Oil companies flare at their oil fields? that is even excess load to them.....if those vandals really need the gas,cant they go to those oil fields where gas is a waste and is being flared and those oil companies will give it to them free of charge.

Am i getting this thing all wrong?

Someone should enlighten me........

Its always been a lie! Only when liquid condensate gets into the lines do issues occur but this lie of gas-line vandalization is just a ruse to cover up incompetence!

Note that these are highly pressurized pipes and any leak(s) are almost guaranteed to cause explosions!

7 Likes

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by billante(m): 4:06pm On Aug 12, 2013
nedu2000: You can't simple walk to a gas plant and they'll give you the gas free!!!& besides by cutting an opening in the pipe,a vandal can swiftly connect his facility to pipe & get the gas he needs......dis can even be done by semi-crude means,up naija!!!

I didn't say gas plant, i said oil fields where gas are flared.....beside i have never heard gas being sold in the black market

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by billante(m): 4:10pm On Aug 12, 2013
nuclearboy:

Its always been a lie! Only when liquid condensate gets into the lines do issues occur but this lie of gas-line vandalization is just a ruse to cover up incompetence!

Note that these are highly pressurized pipes and any leak(s) are almost guaranteed to cause explosions!

Exactly! but who will take the pain and effort of causing leaks in a gas pipeline,what does he intend to gain with that?
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Stallion77(f): 4:16pm On Aug 12, 2013
Inasmuch as oil theft and this theft and that theft has been recently been the excuse for inefficiency and under delivery in the relevant sectors, I believe We nigerians are capable of anything...so this should address ur question of "doesn't it need a delicate and special equipment for that?"
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Kairoseki77: 5:09pm On Aug 12, 2013
Apparently you CAN steal gas from a gas pipeline. Look at this enterprising man from China.

August 16, 2005—Speeding from the scene of the crime, a Chinese boy tows a floating plastic bag of stolen natural gas last week.
Source: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/08/0816_050816_gas_theft.html

MEXICO CITY – A man died in Sinaloa, a state in northwestern Mexico, while filling a tanker truck with fuel stolen from a Petroleos Mexicanos, or Pemex, pipeline, police said.

Moises Rodriguez burned to death on Friday in the explosion and subsequent fire, police said, adding that an AK-47 assault rifle was found near his body.

Rodriguez was apparently siphoning fuel from the Pemex pipeline when “the tanker truck exploded,” killing him and sending flames shooting into the air, police said.

The blast on the Topolobampo-Culiacan pipeline knocked out the power grid in Catime, a town near the city of Salvador Alvarado, Pemex said.

The fire was brought under control and Pemex officials temporarily shut down the pipeline to avoid further damage.

About 50 illegal taps have been found on pipelines in the state this year, making Sinaloa one of the regions most affected by this crime.

[size=20pt]How Do You Steal Gas From a Pipeline?[/size]
To be safe, use a rubber mallet.
By Daniel Engber|Posted Friday, Dec. 30, 2005, at 5:45 PM

Russia's state-run gas company, Gazprom, announced on Friday that it will cease fuel exports to Ukraine unless Kiev accepts a fourfold price increase within the next two days. The dispute may affect Gazprom's European customers, who receive their natural gas from a pipeline that runs through Ukrainian territory. A spokesman for the company warned that Ukraine may engage in "unsanctioned removal of gas from the transit system." How do you steal fuel from a pipeline?
Open a valve and take it. Gazprom can do very little to stop Ukraine's gas company from siphoning off extra gas. Since Ukraine buys gas from Russia, it already has the infrastructure to tap into the Gazprom pipeline. Russia has for years accused Ukraine of using that tap to draw off more natural gas than it pays for; in 2001, Gazprom filed suit claiming reimbursements for the theft of more than a billion cubic meters of gas. Ukraine admitted that it took the missing gas, but claimed it had been "overdrafted," not stolen.
Advertisement

You don't need to be a state-run gas company to steal fuel from a pipeline. In the first few months of 2004, Ukrainian police discovered more than 150 holes in the nation's oil distribution system. Oil crooks there and elsewhere can find an unguarded length of pipe and make their own tap. First they drill a hole most of the way through, and then they use a rubber mallet to crack open the pipe without making a spark. They insert a valve into the hole and then attach it to a tanker truck with a hose. The whole procedure takes about 20 minutes. You can also tap into a pipeline to steal natural gas. (How do you transport your stolen natural gas? Here's one way.)
Pipeline thefts are relatively rare in the United States, where most equipment is buried at least five feet underground. Still, there are plenty of long, unguarded stretches of pipeline. Much of the maintenance and inspection is done with robots called "pigs" that travel through the pipelines on their own. Live workers are few and far between.
In the early 1980s, a sophisticated gang tapped into a 16-inch oil pipeline buried in California. They leased tanker trucks and hooked up their own underground pipe to the existing system. The scheme netted 10 million gallons of crude oil over a three-year stretch, until the company began to notice regular and repeating drops in pipeline pressure. (Pipe sensors have trouble detecting small or irregular changes in flow.)

Source: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2005/12/how_do_you_steal_gas_from_a_pipeline.single.html

3 Likes

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by abacus(m): 5:22pm On Aug 12, 2013
Thanks OP. Now I know our honourable minister is lying. The excuse sounds genuine in ordinary eye. I gulk am.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by nedu2000(m): 5:28pm On Aug 12, 2013
billante:

I didn't say gas plant, i said oil fields where gas are flared.....beside i have never heard gas being sold in the black market
its sold o!!if sand,water can be sold why not natural gas when it has its obvious uses
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by omanzo02: 6:53pm On Aug 12, 2013
Generator Sellers Association, APC and Aggrieved PHCN redundancee may want to sabotage the government effort to provide more power to the national grid.

Sabotage politics.

5 Likes

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Rossikk(m): 7:34pm On Aug 12, 2013
omanzo02: Generator Sellers Association, APC and Aggrieved PHCN redundancee may want to sabotage the government effort to provide more power to the national grid.

Sabotage politics.

Thanks. The ONLY reason is sabotage. Anyone with enough resources and knowledge to breach a pipeline is not doing it for 'survival' reasons, but out of sheer criminality and evil intent. I personally think such people should be apprehended and summarily executed without trial.

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 12, 2013
Ask Lai Mohammed...if dem no sabotage PDPs effort to provide power which chance APC go get to take power in 2015
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by billante(m): 8:27pm On Aug 12, 2013
Rossikk:

Thanks. The ONLY reason is sabotage. Anyone with enough resources and knowledge to breach a pipeline is not doing it for 'survival' reasons, but out of sheer criminality and evil intent. I personally think such people should be apprehended and summarily executed without trial.

So the gas pipelines are not vandalized because of financial gains but purely for political reasons?

I find it hard to believe that!

Is there no oil and gas person in this forum?

Believe me all the GEJ promise of uninterrupted power supply will continue to be a pipe dream if there is no logical reason for this gas issue.....what guarantee will there be that by 2015 after most of the power plants and transmission lines has be completed, there will be 24hrs uninterrupted electricity supply as GEJ is promising, when nothing stop them from vandalizing a gas pipeline by then......even private power plants won't be immuned from this illogical issue!
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by billante(m): 9:22pm On Aug 12, 2013
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by otokx(m): 9:34pm On Aug 12, 2013
The minister should provide evidence of gas pipeline vandalization. We are tired of excuses or worse still outright lies.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by IGBOSON1: 9:35pm On Aug 12, 2013
billante:

So the gas pipelines are not vandalized because of financial gains but purely for political reasons?

I find it hard to believe that!

Is there no oil and gas person in this forum?

Believe me all the GEJ promise of uninterrupted power supply will continue to be a pipe dream if there is no logical reason for this gas issue.....what guarantee will there be that by 2015 after most of the power plants and transmission lines has be completed, there will be 24hrs uninterrupted electricity supply as GEJ is promising when nothing stop them from vandalizing a gas pipeline by then......even private power plants won't be immuned from this illogical issue!

^^^It's sabotage pure and simple! There are many forces gathered against GEJ (both within the party and outside it), and they know that if he cracks the power problem, then they might as well kiss goodbye to any aspirations of unseating him come 2015.

It's high time you realise that there are many evil people in this country, and for them the bottom line is control of the centre and all the perks and resources that go with; it's there life and all they know.....everything else is secondary. You mention to them the fact that constant power supply will benefit the economy and the struggling masses and that it's what we've always yearned for as a country.....you mention all this and they'll look at you like your stark raving mad, and ask themselves: 'wetin dis one dey yarn'!?

2 Likes

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Meritbaba(m): 9:55pm On Aug 12, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^It's sabotage pure and simple! There are many forces gathered against GEJ (both within the party and outside it), and they know that if he cracks the power problem, then they might as well kiss goodbye to any aspirations of unseating him come 2015.

It's high time you realise that there are many evil people in this country, and for them the bottom line is control of the centre and all the perks and resources that go with; it's there life and all they know.....everything else is secondary. You mention to them the fact that constant power supply will benefit the economy and the struggling masses and that it's what we've always yearned for as a country.....you mention all this and they'll look at you like your stark raving mad, and ask themselves: 'wetin dis one dey yarn'!?

Oppositions now take blames for everything...a dey laff o
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 10:05pm On Aug 12, 2013
Possibly they thought the gas Pipeline was an crude oil pipeline

Or Maybe they just innocently wanted to sniff the gas and get high
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Kairoseki77: 10:26pm On Aug 12, 2013
IGBO-SON:

FOOL!

How will a non-indigene sneak into the SS to steal oil and gas from the pipelines?

It is obviously being done by people from the region, probably ex-MEND militants like Asari Dokubo. Why should they accept N65,000 a month from the government when they can make 10 times that by tapping a pipe?

The only reason our pipelines get tapped is pure greed. Also remember that many people make money on the import scam. If we get oil/gas from our own wells, then Ngozi and other politicians will be able to put an end to their 419 by ending fuel importation.

Why do you think Dangote is putting his oil refinery in the SW?? Isn't that the heart of the opposition?

The reason is simple...he knows that it is South South indigenes that are stealing the oil. In the SW his investment will be safer, and there is a higher chance that his refined oil will actually make it to market.

3 Likes

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by abrat: 10:54pm On Aug 12, 2013
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by anthoniosp(m): 8:56am On Aug 13, 2013
because dey like d name!! c question like sayvu no dey dis country!!
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:57am On Aug 13, 2013
wetin all dis people dey talk self
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by Sunymoore(m): 8:57am On Aug 13, 2013
Gawd

Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by xynerise: 9:00am On Aug 13, 2013
Normally, a gas plant or oil field should be well secured, but because these oil thieves are sponsored by top politicians in Nigeria, it makes the issue of vandalism in Nigeria controversial.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by ChemicalMallam(m): 9:01am On Aug 13, 2013
nuclearboy:

Help me tel dem oo
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by mariong(m): 9:01am On Aug 13, 2013
Whatever reason it is, financial benefit must be involved. You don't expect a nigerian to vandalise a pipe when money is not involved.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by tellwisdom: 9:03am On Aug 13, 2013
because the money is no circulating
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by alaoeri: 9:05am On Aug 13, 2013
Kairoseki77:

FOOL!

How will a non-indigene sneak into the SS to steal oil and gas from the pipelines?

It is obviously being done by people from the region, probably ex-MEND militants like Asari Dokubo. Why should they accept N65,000 a month from the government when they can make 10 times that by tapping a pipe?

The only reason our pipelines get tapped is pure greed. Also remember that many people make money on the import scam. If we get oil/gas from our own wells, then Ngozi and other politicians will be able to put an end to their 419 by ending fuel importation.

Why do you think Dangote is putting his oil refinery in the SW?? Isn't that the heart of the opposition?

The reason is simple...he knows that it is South South indigenes that are stealing the oil. In the SW his investment will be safer, and there is a higher chance that his refined oil will actually make it to market.
3 gbosa for u.
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by gbadexy(m): 9:08am On Aug 13, 2013
Rossikk:

You got it perfectly, some people benefiting from the darkness want to main the status quo.
I so much support summary execution for anyone caught.
Imagine inconveniencing millions for the greed of few!
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by judedwriter(m): 9:09am On Aug 13, 2013
Joblessness wink
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by ChemicalMallam(m): 9:09am On Aug 13, 2013
I personally think such people should be apprehended and summarily executed without trial.[/quote]

Can u just hear ur self.... HW can one be executed wit out trail
Re: Why Would Someone Vandalize A Gas Pipeline In Nigeria? by fr3do(m): 9:17am On Aug 13, 2013
billante:

the gas oil companies flare and domestic cooking gas are different.the former is saturated with impurities and cant be used in its raw form even by industries.
The gas used to produce electricity is partially purified and then liquified.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FIRS To Embark On Nationwide VAT, WHT Compliance Monitoring Exercise / Presidential Debate On AIT: Very Funny / Ondo State: Nigeria Oil Producing State, NO Nigeria project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.