Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,445 members, 7,816,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion (1100 Views)

Abortion: See What My Gf Texted Another Guy Says "It's Just A Joke" / Abortion: Now A Proof Of Love? / What's Your Opinion On Open Relatipnships? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by adahib: 1:07pm On Aug 20, 2013
Abortion in this context refers to a willful termination of pregnancy. Before I start, let me say that nobody has to have an abortion, and nobody has to do one.
That said, let me point out certain facts to us
1) people will always be intimate(mod no need to censor,i don censor myself)
2) people have little knowledge of the correct application of contraceptives (whether them think say condom na balloon, abi say postinor 2 na for waist pain)
3) pregnancy will more often than not, be a consequence of this paucity of knowledge (before nko?)
4) for some, abortion will seem the most cost-effective solution (cost here not referring to cash)
Whether we like it or not, the above will keep reoccurring.
In nigeria, abortion is illegal (common knowledge right?), except when the life of the mother is in danger because of the pregnancy, but let us look at the statistics of abortion in nigeria.
--750,000 women have abortions every year
--60%(450,000) of those are UNSAFE.(UNSAFE abortion simply put refers to abortion done by a person lacking the basic professional qualification or in an environment lacking the basic equipments or safety standard)
--10,000 women die every year in nigeria from unsafe abortion
--20% are done by a traditional healer or the woman herself
--20% of pregnancies are unplanned
--50% of those end in abortion
*statistic is from Guttmacher institute obtained via ynaija.com
Most women are not afraid of abortion for abortion's sake but are scared of the possible consequences of unsafe abortion like infertility.given a good assurance, most would go ahead and have an abortion. What do you think would happen to the rate of deaths following abortions if a woman can simply walk into a teaching hospital and terminate an unwanted pregnancy with a gynecologist carrying out the procedure? Believe me, the rate of post-abortion complications would surely drop by a huge percentage.
Just so we understand each other, i'm not trying to encourage promiscuity or termination of pregnancy in any way but whether we like it or not, as I type this,an abortion is taking place in a dark back room of a patent medicine vendor.
Oh by the way, before them religious folks start attacking the thread and the OP, spare a thought for the life of that young woman that is being put at risk by a quack, when a professional could have saved her.
My final submission, it would be wise to legalize abortion.

1 Like

Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by CrazyMan(m): 3:00pm On Aug 20, 2013
This topic has been over flogged on this section…people have their different opinions and views about the whole abortion issue.

To your posts, I fully agree with your points...

For me, I’m of the opinion that the child should be given a chance to live…everyone should be given the chance to live regardless of the situation on ground…its wrong to deny a child his/or her right to live simply because you feel you aren’t ready to shoulder the responsibilities.

Abortion has ruined so many girls, cos majority of abortions (if not all) are carried out by quacks. If you know you’re not matured enough and financially ready to father a child, then use protection since its almost impossible to tell youths of these days to refrain from sex until marriage.
Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by adahib: 9:17pm On Aug 20, 2013
CrazyMan: This topic has been over flogged on this section…people have their different opinions and views about the whole abortion issue.

To your posts, I fully agree with your points...

For me, I’m of the opinion that the child should be given a chance to live…everyone should be given the chance to live regardless of the situation on ground…its wrong to deny a child his/or her right to live simply because you feel you aren’t ready to shoulder the responsibilities.

Abortion has ruined so many girls, cos majority of abortions (if not all) are carried out by quacks. If you know you’re not matured enough and financially ready to father a child, then use protection since its almost impossible to tell youths of these days to refrain from sex until marriage.

You made a lot of sense in your post especially the part about protection.what this thread is about is whether for those willing to terminate their pregnancies, should a legal and hence,a more professional and safe way be made available to them? I say yes, it should.
Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by MrsChima(f): 9:39pm On Aug 20, 2013
They are going to do what they want regardless.

1 Like

Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by Ochiban: 10:03pm On Aug 20, 2013
unfortunately, legalizing abortion does not reduce the risks. read it up. folks are afraid of quacks. they forget that abortion ini itself is a risky procedure...whether done by a good doctor or a quack
Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by ireneidiva(f): 10:48pm On Aug 20, 2013
Was it illegal? Na 2day
Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by adahib: 12:19pm On Aug 21, 2013
Ochiban: unfortunately, legalizing abortion does not reduce the risks. read it up. folks are afraid of quacks. they forget that abortion ini itself is a risky procedure...whether done by a good doctor or a quack

I disagree with you. What you typed is akin to saying that traveling in a bus is in itself a risky endeavor so you don't mind whose bus you enter, whether that of a professional driver or that of a newbie who just picked up his uncle's car just to make a quick buck. There is no way a pregnancy terminated by a trained gynecologist is going to carry the same level of risk as that done by a quack around a street corner.
Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by adahib: 12:21pm On Aug 21, 2013
ireneidiva: Was it illegal? Na 2day

My dear I no fit shout oo.just stroll into the nearest teaching hospital and tell them you would love to terminate your pregnancy. Kindly post their response afterwards.
Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by Mynd44: 1:14pm On Aug 21, 2013
I wonder what gives people the right to decide what a woman should do with something which is in her body....legal or not, it is her body and it feeds on her so she decides if it lives or not.
Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by adahib: 8:09pm On Aug 22, 2013
Mynd_44: I wonder what gives people the right to decide what a woman should do with something which is in her body....legal or not, it is her body and it feeds on her so she decides if it lives or not.

I don't think anybody decides for the woman what she does with what she carries.some will keep it, while others will terminate it.all i'm saying is this, for those willing to terminate it, won't it be wise to make it relatively safer to do so? Whether we like it or not, the woman who wants an abortion will go to any length to have one. So why not help her make her life easier?
Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by Mynd44: 8:19pm On Aug 22, 2013
adahib:

I don't think anybody decides for the woman what she does with what she carries.some will keep it, while others will terminate it.all i'm saying is this, for those willing to terminate it, won't it be wise to make it relatively safer to do so? Whether we like it or not, the woman who wants an abortion will go to any length to have one. So why not help her make her life easier?
I was referring to those who condemn abortions and insult the women who do it
Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by addictiv(m): 8:38pm On Aug 22, 2013
@ topic ......ask the nigerian senate....ie if they have re thru with their under aged propaganda
Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by adahib: 11:04pm On Aug 24, 2013
addictiv: @ topic ......ask the nigerian senate....ie if they have re thru with their under aged propaganda

Hahahaha... My brother I no fit laugh abeg
Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by Exponental(m): 9:29am On Aug 25, 2013
Sex is inevitable.....
Consequence of unprotected sex are STD n Pregnancy.
It shldnt be legalised. If one cannot protect oneself from either std or pregy, then, one shld face d end result.
Afterall, protection is cheaper than abortion.
Re: Legalizing Abortion; Your Opinion by adahib: 5:30pm On Aug 26, 2013
Exponental: Sex is inevitable.....
Consequence of unprotected sex are STD n Pregnancy.
It shldnt be legalised. If one cannot protect oneself from either std or pregy, then, one shld face d end result.
Afterall, protection is cheaper than abortion.

My good sir, your opinion is very much respected but I do beg to differ only in one tiny respect.yes protection is way cheaper than abortion, but that doesn't mean we should condemn a girl to a life of misery because she had no presence of mind to use protection at some point.she deserves (maybe not ) another chance to point her life in the right direction.

(1) (Reply)

PLEASE ADVICE: I Caught Her In Bed With Another Woman! / How Will I Correct Her? / A Case Of Being Popular And Loved Among Friends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.