Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,197 members, 7,953,727 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:17 AM

On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya (7319 Views)

Cost Of Living In Nairobi, Kenya? / The Other Side Of Nairobi Kenya. (see pic) / Nairobi Photos (kenya): A Beautiful East African City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by bluerange(f): 6:42pm On Sep 07, 2013
@oolumide, l can relate how you feel now as u are about leaving kenya. that is a deep question u asked, west africa is so different! for me llving in kenya is less stressful and cheaper. despite their petrol is N225 per litre, bus fare is cheaper!
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by bluerange(f): 7:12pm On Sep 07, 2013
the distance between central nairobi and kasarani,is like for those familiar with lagos, ketu to yaba where bus fare is N150 and petrol is N97 per litre but they charge between N80 to N95 depending the time you use it & theirs is N225! what is wrong?
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 7:37pm On Sep 07, 2013
@ bluerange u are very right. Fuel is very costly here but transport so cheap. @ disguy I am tempted to upload pix but I really dont want to reveal my identity. Especially my wife is a very private person. But I did upload much on my facebook. But thanks all d same
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by bluerange(f): 9:35pm On Sep 07, 2013
wishing you all a safe journey back home
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 9:50pm On Sep 07, 2013
Thanks bluerange. How is ur radio production training going. I made enquiries about the bricks used in the biilding and I learnt it is actually cut from a type of stone.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by ianeki: 10:29pm On Sep 07, 2013
Glad you enjoyed your stay,have a safe flight back home smiley btw to our transport charges are always varying,when it rains they triple!or during rush hours or random police inspection days...nwy i have a cousin who lives in lagos,hope i can convince her to let me visit,would love to come to nigeria smiley
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 10:47pm On Sep 07, 2013
@aineki bet u will luv it in lagos. You can feel the energy and zeal as u move around. Also you see large number of people going on their differend daily activities.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by bluerange(f): 11:05pm On Sep 07, 2013
course is going on well, yes l know it is cut from stone as l have been opportuned to visit building sites. is your flight leaving nairobi in the morning or evening?
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 11:45pm On Sep 07, 2013
It is very early in the morning. Infact I av to be on nite vigil.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 11:49pm On Sep 07, 2013
You dont mean it that u av been to the site. You this woman self how many things have u done in this your short life. Are u still trying to search for yourself. Or trying to develop variety of skills to prepare you for a big role in d future. Well I can only wish u well in all ur endeavors
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by bluerange(f): 7:03am On Sep 08, 2013
my kenyan host is into building construction, so at times l visit his various sites & l did grow up in a family that is into construction, am used to sites.am glad is morning flight if it was evening, u will leave nairobi by 6p.m, get to addis by 8
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by bluerange(f): 7:15am On Sep 08, 2013
& if your ticket does not cover overnight accommodation in addis, u will pay $20 each for transit visa to enter town to get hotel for the night! or you stay @ the airport till your flight departs at 9a.m the next morning & that is not comfortable.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by MostHigh: 11:25am On Sep 08, 2013
bluerange: & if your ticket does not cover overnight accommodation in addis, u will pay $20 each for transit visa to enter town to get hotel for the night! or you stay @ the airport till your flight departs at 9a.m the next morning & that is not comfortable.

bluerange does one need visa to enter kenya?
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by bluerange(f): 11:41am On Sep 08, 2013
yes you do and can get it on arrival for $50.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 2:09pm On Sep 08, 2013
Just arrived lagos.Now to Ethiopian airline what do I make of their service well that is gist for another time. But guys I wasnt impressed with their service.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by bluerange(f): 3:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
welcome back home! have had issues with them even filed my complaint at their office at the MMIA and the travelling agency l use (wakanow) they did not address the issue as expected.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 7:04am On Sep 09, 2013
In ethiopian airline most of the air hostesses acted or worked as if over stressed. Some easily irritated. When you make a request they quickly act like they are coming to resolve it only for them to never get back to you. This happened severally. To request for extra of anything is cunningly frowned at. Well for me I wont go near their door step again. Especially with those their air hostesses looking very old and worn out lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed mtheeeeeew
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by pendo89(f): 11:08am On Sep 15, 2013
MostHigh:

Hi claremont

an you send me your contact number I would like to speak.

I am looking to come to kenya to undergoe some biogass workshops. as the kenyans are far advanced in the technology in africa

Do you know anything or anybody that has implemenmted a sustainable biogass production useing cow dung?

Hi.
I am late to reply but get in touch with these guys- http://www.biogas.co.ke/
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by pendo89(f): 11:11am On Sep 15, 2013
oolumide: @ claremont you must be having good time. Well I got into Nairobi early in the morning with my family. we went thru the visa process and got it. outside at the airport i changed us dollars into currency at the airport at 85KS to 1dollar, first rip off in kenya,cos it is actually 87 in bureau de changed. But i also have heard that kenyans try to rip off foreigners, but i dont mind since it is my first day of going into a city I know nobody with my entire family at nite, 1.30am, it is really a high risk now that i think about it. But been a sales man I always think i will always survive. But my wife must really believe in me to take the risk with me.
Well that nite i left my family inside the airport to go negotiate with a taxi company to take me to a self cathering apartment that i had discussion with but we couldnt conclude cos I couldnt make payment with pay pal from Nigeria.
Luckily I saw a couple who spoke yoruba also coming out of the airport, spoke with them and they told me they are missionaries but we take me to where we could lodge and pay 7000ks(80dollars) as against 9,500 i already negotiated with the other apartment while in Nigeria.
Alas when we got to the apartment on Ole Dume road, they said thay are fully booked for the next 1week, gosh, moreover they insisted we could only get apartment from them at 12,000KS which is way above my target.
But i must mention that unlike Nigeria immigration at which every officers beg you for money, i didnt experience such in both Addis ababa and Nairobi. They just did their work.

Now, where do I sleep with all the stories about robbery in Nairobi, but the taxi man said he cant leave us because i have my young family with me, then he suggested a hotel in river road area and my nigerian helper said no way that the area is crime prone, that now he is suspecting the driver, at that point I was in between, the Kenyan driver said no he doesnt trust Nigerians, my Nigerians friend who is a pastor said for the guy to have suggested that area then he suspects him. But i knew both sides were trying to help me.

By now it was 3.30am, then i took a quick decision, said to the driver take me to the nearest hotel for me to sleep, i will take a decision on where to stay tommorow, because it is peak period of summer, most apartments in Kenyan where fully booked and occupied.
Well alas all of a sudden after driving for about 15minutes the driver parked in front of a dingy looking place and said this is a hotel he feels we will not pay too much and be comfortable.
Now my wife who has been quiet all this while screamed and said i must not get out of the car and if this is the last place left she will rather go back to he airport, by now my Nigerian friend has gone after i told him to go with is family that I cant continue to put him through stress.

I guess at this point the driver was now tired, and i said to him, even if the nearest hotel is a five star i dont mind, just take there. Behold five minutes later he parked in from of Meridian hotel in Nairobi city centre. Woh, woh.

I got in spoke with the receptionist, 2minutes later struck a deal, and I got for my family a one bedroom apartment with a sitting room and extra bed to go with for the nite. Was i happy, yeah you can say that again. Cos initially i had a plan to sleep in a luxury hotel with my family on the last day of our visit but at least it is coming up first. though the meridien hotel is very old one, it cannot be compared to its nigeria counterpart in terms of being modern,it is not as modern as nigeria, but was it a luxury hotel yes it is. Even my wify that is very finicky and choosy when it comes to hotel had very lovely time staying for the nite.
1st nite in Nairobi, the story continues shortly, But i am loving my stay here. SURE YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN. The story continues.

pole sana.

Would have helped you from the minute you stepped out of plane,helped you get accomodation at very nice guesthouses,anyway.
I hope you got help.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 1:46pm On Sep 15, 2013
@pendo89. Thanks. Well the next day being sunday I went into flagged a taxi man and I said to him, pls take me round town I need a self catering apartment. He charged 2000ksh. So we moved around then he took me to an apartment that I was the previous nite. The moment we got there I told him that I have been there and there is vacant room moreover the price is out of the roof. 12, 000ksh per nite for a two bedroom apartment. Just then we saw some taxi men and he asked them about vacant apartments and they pointed to one just the road directly opposite us.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 1:53pm On Sep 15, 2013
Well behold I got there and there stand the property a 3storey building with such a lovely landscape in an environment that could have been described like wuse in abuja. Alas the mgr was not around but I got his number spoke with him and he gave a two bedroom apartment to me at 7000ksh. Service apartments with all that I need for my family.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by MostHigh: 2:39pm On Sep 15, 2013
pendo89:

Hi.
I am late to reply but get in touch with these guys- http://www.biogas.co.ke/

Never too late pendo89 smiley

Give thanks for the assistance, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Have you been opportuned to visit them?
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by pendo89(f): 3:02pm On Sep 15, 2013
MostHigh:

Never too late pendo89 smiley

Give thanks for the assistance, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Have you been opportuned to visit them?

Not yet.I want to visit when I am ready . I was interested in the product cz I thought of introducing it back home since most homes keep cattle for milk and the manure is only used for farming not bio-gas.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by pendo89(f): 3:09pm On Sep 15, 2013
olumide thank God you met kind taxi drivers-actually majority are but like one said they are usually suspicious of nigerians (matters of getting conned etc)

If you come to Kenya unprepared ,you gonna spend lots of cash.The best is to plan in advance-tourists plan year or two ahead.
You will get an all inclusive package-hotel accomodation,beach,safari,air etc at very good rates.
You will also be in the hands of an agent,not taxi drivers.Taxi guys know about town every corner, but hotel classes,prizes and service ,you can't get that infor from them,hence your wandering about town.

Next time plan well in advance and you will enjoy Kenya. Trust me, Nbo city is for Business travellers.Tourists go outside the city where the fun,sights and adventure is.
You missed out on sights by restricting yourself in nbo.

1 Like

Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by tundedaluja: 9:25am On Sep 16, 2013
pls can somebody tell me if it s not necessary to obtain visa from kenyan embassy in abuja, cos i heard someone said he got the visa at kenyan airport, if so, what will i be required of at the airport to get d visa?
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 12:57pm On Sep 16, 2013
@tundedaluja you will get your tourist visa at the airport fir 50 dollars. But ensure you have your yellow card and hotel reservation. Though most accommodation are listed on wimdu or holidayletting. However payment most times is by paypal which does not include nigeria. Then make sure you have your spending money. However it is not a rigorous process though I went with my family may be that is why it was so easy.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 10:47pm On Sep 16, 2013
@pendo89 I was prepared for the trip just that I had challenge paying for accommodation thru paypal. However I believed I got a better deal organising my travel and visit by myself. When I compared what I spent to what many of the companies were offering as per cost. I had done more than enough research before going. Thanks all the same for your advice.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by tundedaluja: 7:51am On Sep 17, 2013
thanks for the reply, dis paypal issue is something else, cant i pay with credit card? and how many night can one book at a go? thank you
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 12:27pm On Sep 17, 2013
Well some of the apartments also have account number they can advise u to pay into. But I was unable to pay thru atm card. But u can do a direct transfer from a bank. But there are charges. The more number of days the lesser your bills for hotels. But most apartments do minimum of 5days.
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by tundedaluja: 7:36am On Sep 18, 2013
@oolomide: thanks for your advice, i think i might be able to pay via paypal, someone wants to help, how many month visa did u get and your duration of stay?
Re: On Summer Holiday To Nairobi Kenya by oolumide: 5:20pm On Sep 18, 2013
Well it pends on what you intend to go for. Are you going for holiday or what? if it is holiday, you will get a single entry visa i think for one month or so. however how many days do you intend to stay.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

If You In Abroad, What Do You Do, How Much Do You And Your Monthly Expenses / Legal Hustling Immigrants In Italy And Othe EU Countries / Traffic Advisory: Lagos Marathon Holds On Saturday, February 10th, 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.