Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,221 members, 7,811,617 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:46 PM

Divorce And Surname - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Divorce And Surname (3600 Views)

5 Reasons Couples Divorce And How You Can Protect Your Marriage / Ladies, Will You Consider His Surname Before Saying "Yes"? / Divorce and Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce And Surname by RedHotChic(f): 5:17am On Jun 10, 2008
Because of the high divorce rate in Nigeria and the world today, is it advisable for a woman to take a man's last name after marriage? If yes, does it mean that those Nigerian women that marry up to 3 times should keep changing their last names 3x? Is it not a smarter thing for a woman to keep her last name/surname after marriage?

@Guys, will you get mad if your divorced wife still walk around town with your last name/surname? Also, will you be offended if your new wife decides to keep her last name for fear of her fate if the marriage eventually breaks up?
Re: Divorce And Surname by krama(m): 5:29am On Jun 10, 2008
Don't tell me you are already considering divorce before you even marry! shocked undecided
Re: Divorce And Surname by Nobody: 5:32am On Jun 10, 2008
Somehow, divorcing my husband is not part of my future plans. . . .but if so so, sth happens, I'll still keep his name o. . .too much trouble changing names na
Re: Divorce And Surname by madamkoko: 5:33am On Jun 10, 2008
@ poster, if the Bobo is an important man, Me, I will keep his name whether he likes it or not.  

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Divorce And Surname by RedHotChic(f): 5:38am On Jun 10, 2008
poster, if the Bobo is an important man, Me, I will keep his name whether he likes it or not.
Lol, this is funny. Will you still keep his name if he's Tuface Idibia?
Re: Divorce And Surname by madamkoko: 5:44am On Jun 10, 2008
its the truth oh. I go keep that name by force. grin grin
Re: Divorce And Surname by RedHotChic(f): 5:46am On Jun 10, 2008
Don't tell me you are already considering divorce before you even marry!
haba, take it easy man. The way you men bail on women these days, any right thinking woman shouldn't be counting her eggs before they are hatched. Personally, I won't like to be stuck with my ex husbands ugly last name.
Re: Divorce And Surname by RedHotChic(f): 5:48am On Jun 10, 2008
Somehow, divorcing my husband is not part of my future plans. . . .but if so so, sth happens, I'll still keep his name o. . .too much trouble changing names na
Will it not be better to leave your certificates intact and keep your last name from the get go? So many women are adopting that method in todays America. If men want uniform last names after marriage, they can as well change theirs to the wife's last name.
Re: Divorce And Surname by madamkoko: 5:51am On Jun 10, 2008
I agree, I plan to keep my last name too. Even after marriage, its important enough, If my husband doesn't gree then it will be madam-koko-let-abc

an hyphenated name, and if he is soo important like Bill Gates, I will become madamkoko-gates. hands down no controversy.
Re: Divorce And Surname by RedHotChic(f): 5:57am On Jun 10, 2008
I agree, I plan to keep my last name too. Even after marriage, its important enough, If my husband doesn't gree then it will be madam-koko-let-abc

an hyphenated name, and if he is soo important like Bill Gates, I will become madamkoko-gates. hands down no controversy.
Lol, or madamkoko-yaradua but we can never see anything like madamkoko-seun? abi?
Re: Divorce And Surname by madamkoko: 6:17am On Jun 10, 2008
Lol, this is funny. Will you still keep his name if he's Tuface Idibia?

Unfortunately, Tuface is not important on my side of things,

but uumm, gates, yarardua is not that bad, eehnnn
Re: Divorce And Surname by RedHotChic(f): 6:20am On Jun 10, 2008
but uumm, gates, yarardua is not that bad, eehnnn
Seun or Obasanjo nko?
Re: Divorce And Surname by madamkoko: 6:21am On Jun 10, 2008
GOD forbid me be an OBASANJO, GOD FORBID SUCH EVIL!!!!!!

The generational curse no go leave person grandchildren.
Re: Divorce And Surname by madamkoko: 6:22am On Jun 10, 2008
Do you mean Seun ( as in site administrator )
Re: Divorce And Surname by FMK(m): 6:35am On Jun 10, 2008
RedHotChic:

Lol, or madamkoko-yaradua but we can never see anything like madamkoko-seun? abi?

if she divorced more than five times, there she will have a kilometer name MADAMEKOKO-GATE-SEUN-OBASANJO-LIWAX-BUSH-SARKOZY-HILARIUS

imagine we have not any space to fill this name in whatever paperwork then we choose initial letter to become: MAGASEOLIBUSAHIL undecided
Re: Divorce And Surname by RedHotChic(f): 7:30am On Jun 10, 2008
Do you mean Seun ( as in site administrator ) sad
Yes, Is his name not popular enough for keeps even after divorce?
Re: Divorce And Surname by RedHotChic(f): 7:31am On Jun 10, 2008
if she divorced more than five times, there she will have a kilometer name MADAMEKOKO-GATE-SEUN-OBASANJO-LIWAX-BUSH-SARKOZY-HILARIUS

imagine we have not any space to fill this name in whatever paperwork then we choose initial letter to become: MAGASEOLIBUSAHIL Undecided
Lol, thank you for giving me a good laugh today. You only forgot to add Obama to the list. MadamKoko-Obama.
Re: Divorce And Surname by RedHotChic(f): 8:59am On Jun 10, 2008
Just for the records, nobody plans to divorce on or before the wedding day but sometimes it's inevitable.
Re: Divorce And Surname by hammers(m): 9:08am On Jun 10, 2008
@all

good morning house cool
Re: Divorce And Surname by yemivictor: 2:11pm On Jun 10, 2008
I was going to start a thread related to this one but in a reverse format!

It is pertaining to a trend i've observed lately in our country, in that, wives of really successful men tend to take up not only the chap's surname but his first name also!!

For instance, i am yemivictor, now let's assume my surname to be . . . Jekinje. Now, if i got married to say . . . D-reloaded & i became very successful in my career, possibly a national figure even!!! grin

And if my hypothetical wife i.e. D-reloaded was to be addressed in public, she'd be: Mrs D-reloaded yemivictor Jekinje! grin grin grin

I don't know if you guys have noticed this trend amongst our socialites!? undecided
Re: Divorce And Surname by madamkoko: 2:16pm On Jun 10, 2008
I agree it so that people KNOW who they are. they want nothing but respect.

Unfortunately, they are only under thier former, late, new, old's husbands umbrella.
Re: Divorce And Surname by yemivictor: 2:23pm On Jun 10, 2008
I sort of like that name . . . Mrs D-reloaded yemivictor Jekinje . . . . . Mrs D-reloaded yemivictor Jekinje . . . . . . . Mrs D-reloaded yemivictor Jekinje! grin grin grin
Re: Divorce And Surname by amberella: 2:25pm On Jun 10, 2008
If I'm getting a divorce from my husband, the last thing I'm going to worry about is the hassle of changing my name back.

Why enter marriage assuming divorce? Of course I took my husband's last name - we are one now.
Re: Divorce And Surname by yemivictor: 2:40pm On Jun 10, 2008
amber_ella:

If I'm getting a divorce from my husband, the last thing I'm going to worry about is the hassle of changing my name back.

Why enter marriage assuming divorce? Of course I took my husband's last name - we are one now.

Yeah, that's the way it should be!

Personally, i don't think i'm yet liberated up to the point of allowing my would-be wife to form an alliance with her father's name & my surname !! undecided

I don't know, but . . . i just doesn't go down well with me! If anything, she should take up all of my own names!! grin
Re: Divorce And Surname by amberella: 4:29pm On Jun 10, 2008
yemivictor:

Personally, i don't think i'm yet liberated up to the point of allowing my would-be wife to form an alliance with her father's name & my surname !! undecided

Oh, actually that's what I did - the hyphenation.

My husband didn't "allow" it! It's my name, I choose it. He's just lucky I allowed him to keep his name! just kidding smiley
Re: Divorce And Surname by yemivictor: 4:46pm On Jun 10, 2008
amber_ella:

Oh, actually that's what I did - the hyphenation.

My husband didn't "allow" it! It's my name, I choose it. He's just lucky I allowed him to keep his name! just kidding smiley

Oh . . . . . kay! lipsrsealed
Re: Divorce And Surname by proo212(m): 4:54pm On Jun 10, 2008
haba, take it easy man. The way you men bail on women these days, any right thinking woman shouldn't be counting her eggs before they are hatched. Personally, I won't like to be stuck with my ex husbands ugly last name.

Actually it's the ladies filing for divorce and not the men. Just to pick holes in your argument. Research it and you will see for yourself

I have no issues with my wife keeping her last name, so far she can addressed as Mrs Proo212 unofficially.
Re: Divorce And Surname by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 10, 2008
@REDHOTChika

no, I'd rather keep my husband's name. . . even after the divorce.
because if I change it, I gotta think of our children. . .
Re: Divorce And Surname by Uche2nna(m): 5:04pm On Jun 10, 2008
4Her:

@REDHOTChika

grin

Ehhmm, show me the way to ur papa house abeg. I dey go pay bride price grin
Re: Divorce And Surname by yemivictor: 5:07pm On Jun 10, 2008
proo212:

Actually it's the ladies filing for divorce and not the men. Just to pick holes in your argument. Research it and you will see for yourself

I have no issues with my wife keeping her last name, so far she can addressed as Mrs Proo212 unofficially.

Unofficially!? shocked

Of what consequence is that then!!? undecided
Re: Divorce And Surname by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jun 10, 2008
Uche2nna:

grin
Ehhmm, show me the way to your papa house abeg. I dey go pay bride price grin

yessssssssssss. . . my papa will be proud of me o. . what a handsome,brilliant man I brought home. . . and we need an extra $1 billion anywaz.

this way. . . . grin grin
Re: Divorce And Surname by RedHotChic(f): 5:07pm On Jun 10, 2008
@REDHOTChika

Must you have the same last name with your kids? They can keep their fathers last name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Co Habitation Vs Dating Married Man / Why Do Nigerian Boys Disturb Girls In The Market? / Pls Can U Help Me To Decide Whether He Loves Me Or Not

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.