Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,421 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) - Religion (143) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) (556230 Views)

The Satanic Chatbox. Everybody Is Welcome / Christian's Chatbox Game/Party Night - May 4th@ 10pm Gmt -ALL CHRISTIANS INVITED / The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) ... (239) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by dblackninja: 11:41pm On May 27, 2016
AYOBAMEE911:
Hey all, I think all may read this:

The platform is hosted by whatsapp. Send a
message to +2347054991910 and you will
get added . The sky is big enough for all
birds. it may be just your little idea that we
need to move this nation forward . Join
Learn Live Network.
The Group name: Total Man
Co-anchored: Kingebukasblog (nairaland section)
What do you guys wanna use our number for? Money ritual?? shocked grin
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by Nobody: 7:30am On May 28, 2016
dblackninja:

I believe we've come to terms with what the words culture and civilization connotes.
I think what you're asking is; if we're living a particular way, why still go back to it.. If we're living like that, then the aim has already been achieved. The real question is are we really living in a particular way that is in tune with our society.

A functional society works in harmony. Their culture defines them. They way they communicate, their beliefs, what they eat.. The culture of any society is majorly influenced by what is around them. The geographical conditions of their place, the climatic and any other type of conditions affecting them. The type of plants that are growing around them e.t.c.

Abandoning your culture is like abandoning everything around you in place of another's you thought superior. Your alien lifestyle might not work in tandem with the society you live in causing discord. Remember that culture is dynamic. It can imbibe others if it's able to work with them, if not that one becomes like a virus that needs to be tackled.
Just like you can introduce a lovely plant species in Nigeria, it might grow if both the geographical and climatic conditions satisfy its needs, else nature will reject it no disregarding your love for it.

Hope this helps.
Fair enough but I'd be looking out to catch you redefine culture once again. What do you think is Nigeria's Problem?
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by dblackninja: 8:47am On May 28, 2016
Reyginus:
Fair enough but I'd be looking out to catch you redefine culture once again. What do you think is Nigeria's Problem?
Catch me!? You wish tongue

Hmmm! Nigeria has numerous problems..I don't even know where to begin undecided
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by Nobody: 9:34am On May 28, 2016
dblackninja:

Catch me!? You wish tongue

Hmmm! Nigeria has numerous problems..I don't even know where to begin undecided
Okay. What about the black man. Why are we lagging now when it was our race that etched those mystic symbols at Saqarra?
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by JackBizzle: 10:20am On May 28, 2016
Reyginus:
Okay. What about the black man. Why are we lagging now when it was our race that etched those mystic symbols at Saqarra?

Interesting question
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by RajputMaster24: 3:52pm On May 28, 2016
So is there anyway to bring back traditional African religion? There must be some way to increase its popularity.
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 28, 2016
RajputMaster24:
So is there anyway to bring back traditional African religion? There must be some way to increase its popularity.
Of course there's a way but why? Why should we bring it back?
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 28, 2016
JackBizzle:

Interesting question
Tell me your version.
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by RajputMaster24: 6:09pm On May 28, 2016
Reyginus:
Of course there's a way but why? Why should we bring it back?

Because my friend, its a beautiful religion and an integral part of a beautiful culture, we can't let this culture die after some mere colonization. Look at India, it is able to repair its civilization/culture after colonization. Nigeria should do the same. I think Nigeria must have had a beautiful indigenious culture pre-colonization.
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by Nobody: 10:34pm On May 30, 2016
RajputMaster24:

Because my friend, its a beautiful religion and an integral part of a beautiful culture, we can't let this culture die after some mere colonization. Look at India, it is able to repair its civilization/culture after colonization. Nigeria should do the same. I think Nigeria must have had a beautiful indigenious culture pre-colonization.
Because it's a Beautiful Religion? How is it a Beautiful Religion? If the elements of our civilization are better than this our beautiful religion, should we still stalk this beautiful religion?
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by mmadubugwu(m): 5:13am On May 31, 2016
RajputMaster24:

I like that. There is actually. Godianism (or Godian Religion). Members believe in worshipping God directly without intermediaries. Which means all praises and prayers go to God not through prophets or man. They also uphold cultural values too. Culture and religion are not same, but interlinked in a way. Culture has to do with the way of life of a certain people and traditions they accept. Religion on the other hand deals with man's relationship with God.
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by dblackninja: 11:06am On Jun 03, 2016
Reyginus:
Sorry for the late reply bro. Been busy.. coupled with epileptic power supply angry (Or rather full-time lights-out)

Dammn that's a question I cannot give a satisfactory answer to because I don't fully know....but one thing is sure...
Our home (Africa) was invaded by hoodlums!!

But instead of picking up, we are still dancing to the tune of the masters.

Most of the elites among us as well are mimicking the hoodlums.. looting and enslaving us with their will
The government, senators, trad. rules, pastors, bishops, babalawos, etc.. all of them enslaving and looting us in their own way cry

Are we going to rise up one day? Yeah surely we gonna rise up--one day though.
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jun 03, 2016
dblackninja:

Sorry for the late reply bro. Been busy.. coupled with epileptic power supply angry (Or rather full-time lights-out)

Dammn that's a question I cannot give a satisfactory answer to because I don't fully know....but one thing is sure...
Our home (Africa) was invaded by hoodlums!!

But instead of picking up, we are still dancing to the tune of the masters.

Most of the elites among us as well are mimicking the hoodlums.. looting and enslaving us with their will
The government, senators, trad. rules, pastors, bishops, babalawos, etc.. all of them enslaving and looting us in their own way cry

Are we going to rise up one day? Yeah surely we gonna rise up--one day though.
Leadership you mean. Failure of Leadership. An example of what the ruling party APC is doing now. You kicked a man out for destroying your home but you go ahead and destroy it further.
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by dblackninja: 2:38pm On Jun 03, 2016
Reyginus:
Leadership you mean. Failure of Leadership. An example of what the ruling party APC is doing now. You kicked a man out for destroying your home but you go ahead and destroy it further.
Yeah that's what has been going on. Very very sad embarassed
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by iPopAlomo(m): 8:48am On Jun 04, 2016
Eriwo!!!
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by macof(m): 3:49pm On Jun 07, 2016
dblackninja:

Bring back African religion? Is not yet dead anyway; we are just praying for it to die. All religion in African should be eradicated, not even quarantined because it does more harm than good (infact only harm). I hope this your question is not for thesis. Lol grin

As for African civilization, I believe revival of our culture, that is not influenced by religion, will be vital to it. Culture is the core of our African humanity and unlike religion could be truly syncretized which is heathy. It plays a good influence in the economic, social and political aspects in a society.

Anyway, civilization can never be achieved by sitting at home and waiting for the government to do everything and create a functional society. That is what religion is telling us (pray and fast for Nigeria). Rather reverse will be the case..embezzlement and whatever you can think of will be the norm.

I don't like to see African Traditional Religion as Religion at all, people call it religion having western ideas in mind
in Yoruba only recently did people start saying "esin ibile" - native religion
but it's wrong. .. It is Isese or Aborisha - Which is best translated as "Yoruba elements of spirituality" or " veneration of Orisa"
there's no yoruba history or culture without the Orishas, you would be deceiving yourself to say you support yoruba culture but hate isese. ..isese is yoruba culture.
the yoruba elements in question are the Yoruba language, culture, tradition and history revolving around Spirituality. ..that is why in incantations and chants it is Yoruba language...Yoruba words that are so deep, in festivals reenactments of past events are done. festivals are set in accordance with the traditional calendar system. Everything isese is yoruba culture, language, history, tradition

so when next someone says african traditional religion it is really African elements of spirituality which is the culture, language, history and traditions of africa revolving around Spirituality

1 Like

Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jun 07, 2016
macof:

I don't like to see African Traditional Religion as Religion at all, people call it religion having western ideas in mind
but it's wrong. .. It is Isese or Aborisha - Which is best translated as "Yoruba elements of spirituality" or " veneration of Orisa"
there's no yoruba history or culture without the Orishas, you would be deceiving yourself to say you support yoruba culture but hate isese. ..isese is yoruba culture.
the yoruba elements in question are the Yoruba language, culture, tradition and history revolving around Spirituality. ..that is why in incantations and chants it is Yoruba language...Yoruba words that are so deep, in festivals reenactments of past events are done. festivals are set in accordance with the traditional calendar system. Everything isese is yoruba culture, language, history, tradition

so when next someone says african traditional religion it is really African elements of spirituality which is the culture, language, history and traditions of africa revolving around Spirituality
What's the Definition of Religion again, Please?
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by macof(m): 4:08pm On Jun 07, 2016
Reyginus:
What's the Definition of Religion again, Please?

an institution of dogmas relating to the Divine

and before you jump to conclusion without knowing a thing about african elements of spirituality, lemme tell you that religion can be formed out of it but it is not religion in itself

1 Like

Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jun 07, 2016
macof:

an institution of dogmas relating to the Divine

and before you jump to conclusion without knowing a thing about african elements of spirituality, lemme tell you that religion can be formed out of it but it is not religion in itself
Lololol. Does African T.R relate to the divine?
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by dblackninja: 4:50pm On Jun 07, 2016
macof:

Hmmm.. What is Orisa exactly? From what you wrote I can deduce that it implies a god since it's venerated.
Now how can you unlink the veneration of Orisa from religiosity?
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by macof(m): 9:30pm On Jun 07, 2016
Reyginus:
Lololol. Does African T.R relate to the divine?

does what you call ATR encompass dogmas like Christianity?
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jun 07, 2016
macof:

does what you call ATR encompass dogmas like Christianity?
ATR means African Traditional Religion. This implies the local religions practised in Africa before foreign religions came in. So, does it relate to the divine?
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by macof(m): 9:47pm On Jun 07, 2016
dblackninja:

Hmmm.. What is Orisa exactly? From what you wrote I can deduce that it implies a god since it's venerated.
Now how can you unlink the veneration of Orisa from religiosity?

an orisa is a being that is created special
the word has been used to refer to kings, great personalities, great ancestors, lesser Gods ( those beneath the Creator - Olodumare )
veneration doesn't have to be about religiosity my friend. Spirituality in africa is by Awe, not faith
or dogmatic belief that we have in religion

1 Like

Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by macof(m): 10:32pm On Jun 07, 2016
Reyginus:
ATR means African Traditional Religion. This implies the local religions practised in Africa before foreign religions came in. So, does it relate to the divine?

The Latin term religio, origin of the lexeme "religion" means "strict obligation to an institution" this is not Isese. ..this doesn't mean that religion cannot be made out of Isese

google it if you like.

The medieval usage alternates with "order" in designating bonded communities like those of monastic orders : "we hear of the 'religion' of the Golden Fleece, of a knight 'of the
religion of Avys'"
In the ancient and medieval world, the etymological Latin root religio was understood as an individual virtue of worship, never as doctrine, practice, or actual source of knowledge. The modern concept of "religion" as an abstraction which entails distinct sets of beliefs is a recent invention

so don't be arrogant and indulge in willful ignorance

when next someone says african traditional religion it is really African elements of spirituality which is the culture, language, history and traditions of africa revolving around Spirituality

what would you say to languages that never even had a word for religion like Ewe and Japanese yet they practice spirituality in their native way

1 Like

Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by macof(m): 10:46pm On Jun 07, 2016
Max Müller characterized many other cultures around the world, including Egypt, Persia, and India, as having a similar power structure at this point in history. What is called ancient religion today, they would have only called "law". [21]

Many languages have words that can be translated as "religion", but they may use them in a very different way, and some have no word for religion at all. For example, the Sanskrit word
dharma , sometimes translated as "religion", also means law. Throughout classical South Asia, the study of law consisted of concepts such as penance through piety and ceremonial as well as practical traditions . Medieval Japan at first had a similar union between "imperial law" and universal or "Buddha law", but these later became independent sources of power.
[22][23]
There is no precise equivalent of "religion" in Hebrew, and Judaism does not distinguish clearly between religious, national, racial, or ethnic identities. [24] One of its central concepts is "halakha", meaning the "walk" or "path" sometimes translated as "law", which guides religious practice and belief and many aspects of daily life.

@ Reyginus , @dblackninja
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by Nobody: 8:01am On Jun 08, 2016
macof:

The Latin term religio, origin of the lexeme "religion" means "strict obligation to an institution" this is not Isese. ..this doesn't mean that religion cannot be made out of Isese

google it if you like.

The medieval usage alternates with "order" in designating bonded communities like those of monastic orders : "we hear of the 'religion' of the Golden Fleece, of a knight 'of the
religion of Avys'"
In the ancient and medieval world, the etymological Latin root religio was understood as an individual virtue of worship, never as doctrine, practice, or actual source of knowledge. The modern concept of "religion" as an abstraction which entails distinct sets of beliefs is a recent invention

so don't be arrogant and indulge in willful ignorance

when next someone says african traditional religion it is really African elements of spirituality which is the culture, language, history and traditions of africa revolving around Spirituality

what would you say to languages that never even had a word for religion like Ewe and Japanese yet they practice spirituality in their native way

What's all these drooling about? My question simply is, is ATR divine? I'm simply using your definition of Religion and not trying to assess another person's version of it.
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 08, 2016
macof:
Max Müller characterized many other cultures around the world, including Egypt, Persia, and India, as having a similar power structure at this point in history. What is called ancient religion today, they would have only called "law". [21]

Many languages have words that can be translated as "religion", but they may use them in a very different way, and some have no word for religion at all. For example, the Sanskrit word
dharma , sometimes translated as "religion", also means law. Throughout classical South Asia, the study of law consisted of concepts such as penance through piety and ceremonial as well as practical traditions . Medieval Japan at first had a similar union between "imperial law" and universal or "Buddha law", but these later became independent sources of power.
[22][23]
There is no precise equivalent of "religion" in Hebrew, and Judaism does not distinguish clearly between religious, national, racial, or ethnic identities. [24] One of its central concepts is "halakha", meaning the "walk" or "path" sometimes translated as "law", which guides religious practice and belief and many aspects of daily life.

@ Reyginus , @dblackninja
I hope this argument doesn't go like the fruitless one I had with FOLYKAZE last time where he illogically tried to remove Christianity from Spirituality even when it's obvious he doesn't seem to understand the meaning of the terms?

My question was/is simply what is divine? Is ATR divine? Is this very hard to understand or answer you are trying to be mischievous like your brother in ATR tried last time? A simple yes or no will do. Go ahead and stop trying to confuse yourself.
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by macof(m): 8:30am On Jun 08, 2016
Reyginus:
I hope this argument doesn't go like the fruitless one I had with FOLYKAZE last time where he illogically tried to remove Christianity from Spirituality even when it's obvious he doesn't seem to understand the meaning of the terms?

My question was/is simply what is divine? Is ATR divine? Is this very hard to understand or answer you are trying to be mischievous like your brother in ATR tried last time? A simple yes or no will do. Go ahead and stop trying to confuse yourself.
I know your case is willful ignorance

you are the mischievous one here, you only pick a part of the definition and throw the other part out.

scroll up and see my definition. ..you can repost if you like and ask your question based on the complete definition given
Re: The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) by Nobody: 8:40am On Jun 08, 2016
macof:

I know your case is willful ignorance

you are the mischievous one here, you only pick a part of the definition and throw the other part out.

scroll up and see my definition. ..you can repost if you like and ask your question based on the complete definition given

Is something wrong with your eyes? Lol. These people. You define Religion as an institution of dogmas relating to the Divine and I ask if ATRs relate with the Divine? What's so hard here to answer?

(1) (2) (3) ... (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) ... (239) (Reply)

Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here / Nigerian Church Praise & Worship Songs Here / Seeing Demons, Angels, Fallen Angels, Spirits.. - Hsp's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.