Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,026 members, 7,810,831 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession (18662 Views)

Proceedings On The Concession Contract For Second Niger Bridge / Lagos Cancels Movement’s Restriction For May Sanitation / Adamawa - Nuhu Ribadu [PDP], Concedes Defeat, Releases Concession Statement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by Nobody: 10:03am On Aug 28, 2013
Billyonaire:

Eko Atlantic is a project I love, and I am on the thought process on how to advance my personal gains over there, but does not mean that I do not understand the dynamics of the ownership structures.
Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by tsomething: 10:52am On Aug 28, 2013
software man:
first, you show complete ignorance or deliberate mischief right of the bat by not understanding what budgets are and what a concession arrangement is.
basically, the big idea behind the lekki concession is to transit from infrastructural development to investment. of is the concessiomaire's money that builds the infrastructure and manages it for a given period of time to recover its money and make some profit. there is no govt money involved and therefore no budget..

the second incredibly stupid part of your post is the implication that the entire budget of Lagos state for the year was meant fto build or buy back the lekki expressway.
The actual figure for the buy back that the govt is seeking a supplementary budget for , even when clearly stated , is invisible to you.

please let us have a proper discussion on polo y matters and stop all this obsession with tinubu. it seems this obsession is beclouding your thinking and making you write meaningless jargon.

You don't need to throw insults up and down to make your point. I asked simple questions and you are replying questions I never asked.

My questions are these......

How many years will it take Lagos to complete a 50Km road that is tolled at every 10km interval ?

Lagos spends over 500 billion annually for about 14 years, can you sincerely point out to infrastructures worth this amount?

There are current plans to reduce the burden of Lagos ports (both seaport and airport ), this would result in decreased revenue , except the Govt increases the current tax burden , how do they intend to repay the 610 billion debt if by now that things are good, the govt is still planning to increase its borrowing ?

Those simple questions you couldn't answer, yet you went about insulting your parents who couldn't teach you how to argue objectively in a public forum .

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by softwareman(m): 10:58am On Aug 28, 2013
awhagwan:

Must you display your stupidity so publicly? LCC came into being in 2006, and does not belong to the Chaghoury's. They hold a small stake in Hitech. That's it.

Furthermore, APC is now playing catch-up to the PDP led FG who cancelled Bi-Courtney's concession on Lagos Ibadan expressway within 3 years of the award. LCC have been on Lekki Epe Expressway for 8 years and have exploited the people for at least 3 years out of that 8!!!

Honestly you are the one displaying crass stupidity here.
LCC is only a vehicle for the concession arrangement. The company is owned by hitech and like i wrote earlier have been in existence far long before the tinubu government came into existence.

The incompetent and inept PDP federal government took three years to realise that bi-courtney could not perform on the lagos- ibadan expressway.
No single work was done for three years! You cannot compare this to a situation where LCC performed and has built to the terms of the concession contract.Hitech has already performed whereas bi-courtney did not perform.There is no room for comparison.

What the lagos state govt soughts to do is a buyback for better policy laxity which is usually allowed for in this kind of arrangement world wide.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by bigass(f): 11:01am On Aug 28, 2013
USA currently has a debt of about 20Trillion doLlars. How are they going to pay back

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by stevecantrell: 11:15am On Aug 28, 2013
Billyonaire:

Not really, LCC is actually owned by Tinubu and Fashola via their Surrogates, what happens is that the Eko Atlantic City, which they own majority of, is a better investment for them, so they are looking for a way to get more funding from state funds to push the construction, so it becomes necessary for them to let go the Toll in exchange for the billions and use the billions on the Eko Atlantic Project and Free Trade Zone project, its all thievery.

My Time Shall Come.

Yes, its really a closed system. The same money circulating within the same group(s) of people.
Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by Emperor007: 11:25am On Aug 28, 2013
The toll has been a fraud from day one, and it's on record that Fashola is a party to this fraud.

Where on earth does one collect toll, without having an alternative route first?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by softwareman(m): 11:37am On Aug 28, 2013
t-something:

You don't need to throw insults up and down to make your point. I asked simple questions and you are replying questions I never asked.

My questions are these......

How many years will it take Lagos to complete a 50Km road that is tolled at every 10km interval ?

Lagos spends over 500 billion annually for about 14 years, can you sincerely point out to infrastructures worth this amount?

There are current plans to reduce the burden of Lagos ports (both seaport and airport ), this would result in decreased revenue , except the Govt increases the current tax burden , how do they intend to repay the 610 billion debt if by now that things are good, the govt is still planning to increase its borrowing ?

Those simple questions you couldn't answer, yet you went about insulting your parents who couldn't teach you how to argue objectively in a public forum .

i answered your questions but you did not understand. so i will try again.

The number of years it takes to build any particular lenght of road depends on a good number of factors that i as outsider cannot answer.

haba. in 1999, the entire lagos budget was 1 billion naira only.Even though this increases every year as a result of superb economic management of the tinubu / fashola administation , it only came to 492 billion this year.
secondly, the budget of a state does not go into building infrastructure alone( workers salaries,recurrent expenditures,education, health, environment etc) are included. so your question makes no sense whatsoever.

thirdly,The fact that you budget a particular amount in a year does not mean that you will realise that same amount.(while the budget performance of the tinubu / fashola administration avarages 65% in the past fourteen years, the PDP federal govt has being abysmally less than 30% on the average.)

The statement 'There are current plans to reduce the burden of Lagos ports (both seaport and airport ), this would result in decreased revenue' makes no sense to me. are you saying that the government is planning to reduce economic activities in the lagos and apapa seaport? What percentage of duties from ports and airport which is collected by the the federal government comes to the lagos state government?

A government that increases its internally generated IGR by nothing less 200% every year for the past fourteen years and that is projecting 40 billion monthly IGR within the next two years does not have to worry about a debt profile of 610 billion.

The important thing is to continue to invest in infrastructural development,security etc in order to continue to attract private sector investments(which is the major engine of growing a mega city world wide).
The state of new york and California in the US are richer than most countries and still carries debts totalling billions of dollars.

I hope i have now answered your questions.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by ImperialYoruba: 11:52am On Aug 28, 2013
I dont get it

Everytime Lagos and Fashola in news all kind of carricature and pouripoussu, the homeless and the transient, the jobless and the na.ked carry their toothless gum begin yarn nonsense to defame His Excellency. Awon alakoba,, oniyangi, look, multiple pages already within 2hrs.

I see multitude threads out there already talking about confusion in Taraba, Rivers and Anambra, some of them opened over 24hrs and barely made 1 page yet. I need you all to disperse and vamoose and leave Fashola alone abeg. aahah, kilode!! angry

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by ba7man(m): 12:02pm On Aug 28, 2013
Emperor_007: The toll has been a fraud from day one, and it's on record that Fashola is a party to this fraud.

Where on earth does one collect toll, without having an alternative route first?

There are free alternate routes.....They kept announcing them on Tv over and over again before they started collecting toll. They granted interviews to inform people.
Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 28, 2013
Billyonaire:

You are probably a novice and do not live in this axis, I live in the axis and dine with the major players here, I do not discuss with people who are easily deceived. Did you expect Fashola and Tinubu to come out openly to say that they own LCC ? Politicians use surrogates to conduct high-class thievery, I guess you will still say Julius Berger Nigeria belongs to Germany, instead knowing it belongs to IBB. Young man, when I make a statement, take it as wholesale truth, I do not say things I am not sure of. Eko Atlantic is a project I love, and I am on the thought process on how to advance my personal gains over there, but does not mean that I do not understand the dynamics of the ownership structures.

Back off or you get barked down.
grin grin
Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by tsomething: 12:38pm On Aug 28, 2013
software man:
first, you show complete ignorance or deliberate mischief right of the bat by not understanding what budgets are and what a concession arrangement is.
basically, the big idea behind the lekki concession is to transit from infrastructural development to investment. of is the concessiomaire's money that builds the infrastructure and manages it for a given period of time to recover its money and make some profit. there is no govt money involved and therefore no budget..

the second incredibly stupid part of your post is the implication that the entire budget of Lagos state for the year was meant fto build or buy back the lekki expressway.
The actual figure for the buy back that the govt is seeking a supplementary budget for , even when clearly stated , is invisible to you.

please let us have a proper discussion on polo y matters and stop all this obsession with tinubu. it seems this obsession is beclouding your thinking and making you write meaningless jargon.

since you couldn't answer my questions I asked earlier , let me reduce this concession fraud to the level you would understand .

The concession agreement is supposed to run for an agreed period of time during which the concessioniare is supposed to construct and continuously maintain the road infrastructure for the period stated in the agreement . He is to recover his investments by tolls and other services on the road.

Now coming back to Lekki road, the concessioniare isn't recovering any investment from the tolls , rather they are generating funds that would be used in constructing the road. Why am I saying this? You recover your investment if the road had been completely constructed , but in this case the road hasn't been completed yet users are being tolled.

Now the Government wants to do something, wouldn't they have just cancelled the contract due to non performance / breach of contract by the concessioniare , rather they want to buy back the concession agreement with 7 billion .

Ask yourself how much has the concessioniare invested so far on the road? How much have they generated by way of tolls and advert on the uncompleted road? So why are you still paying them 7 billion instead recovering money from them?

My brother wake up and smell the coffee , Lagosians have been scammed by one of the greatest scam artists in Africa.

By the way who tolls a road leading to a predominantly residential area without providing an alternative toll free road?

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by abhosts(m): 1:17pm On Aug 28, 2013
That does not mean that tolling would stop. The Tolling Proceeds would simply be diverted to the State Government.
Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by ocheejemb: 1:17pm On Aug 28, 2013
Lol..read between the lines.

Lagos will start collecting the tolls as well as enforce other revenue generating mechanisms for that road.
Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by jamesibor: 1:20pm On Aug 28, 2013
So Fashola had to wait until Tinubu became incapacitated before landing this blow on Tinubu's LCC.

No long thing, God dey sha!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by ReiManniE(m): 1:21pm On Aug 28, 2013
Does this mitigation of power changer calls off the ASUU strike? Well, its a good development by the LASG against the LCC, haba! Over 8years still counting a 50km road never finish...hmm
Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by anonimi: 1:22pm On Aug 28, 2013
Does anyone know the investment of Tinubu's LCC in the Lekki road over the elapsed period of its concession till date to warrant the N7.5 billion payout

Mumus in the house, raise your hands please!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by alakara(m): 1:23pm On Aug 28, 2013
Us have d resources 2 pay back their debt that y they are the richest country on earth wrt their debt profile

bigass: USA currently has a debt of about 20Trillion doLlars. How are they going to pay back
Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by Tundeajani(m): 1:24pm On Aug 28, 2013
oxford: fashola is fraud
tinubu is a thief
apc is a looting machine
lagos don baje since 12 years ago
lagosian don see wenn under acn/apc

best thing for lagos is to port
the time to port is now
port to teamfreshair
man! Man! Man! wake up.you are in lagos and not otuoke.lasgidi and southwest in general never join the loosing team..
Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by taharqa: 1:24pm On Aug 28, 2013
t-something:

since you couldn't answer my questions I asked earlier , let me reduce this concession fraud to the level you would understand .

[b]The concession agreement is supposed to run for an agreed period of time during which the concessioniare is supposed to construct and continuously maintain the road infrastructure for the period stated in the agreement . He is to recover his investments by tolls and other services on the road.

Now coming back to Lekki road, the concessioniare isn't recovering any investment from the tolls , rather they are generating funds that would be used in constructing the road. Why am I saying this? You recover your investment if the road had been completely constructed , but in this case the road hasn't been completed yet users are being tolled.

Now the Government wants to do something, wouldn't they have just cancelled the contract due to non performance / breach of contract by the concessioniare , rather they want to buy back the concession agreement with 7 billion .

Ask yourself how much has the concessioniare invested so far on the road? How much have they generated by way of tolls and advert on the uncompleted road? So why are you still paying them 7 billion instead recovering money from them[/b]?

My brother wake up and smell the coffee , Lagosians have been scammed by one of the greatest scam artists in Africa.

By the way who tolls a road leading to a predominantly residential area without providing an alternative toll free road?
Don't worry, Bros. The monumental Fraud that is Lagos State Govt, particularly linked to Tinubu, wud soon be completely unravelled. People are working on it presently....

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by anonimi: 1:26pm On Aug 28, 2013
james_ibor: So Fashola had to wait until Tinubu became incapacitated before landing this blow on Tinubu's LCC.

No long thing, God dey sha!

Those were my initial thoughts.
Obviously the former omo iyaloja now baba iyaloja may be on his way out.

BTW, how much did GEJ pay for cancelling the concession to Bi-Courtney on Lagos-Ibadan expressway
Mumus in the house raise your hands please!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by publisher(m): 1:27pm On Aug 28, 2013
[size=13pt]This is where corruption in Lagos rears it's ugly 'Tinubu' head.
How do you concession the building ,construction and management of a major highway to a start-up company(LCC) that has NEVER embarked on any major construction anywhere in Nigeria or the world?[/size]

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by kpolli(m): 1:31pm On Aug 28, 2013
So Lagos wants to take over the toll gate, meaning they chop the money and the road gets left how it is.... So the so called expansion and renovation would be halted... I smell corruption
Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 28, 2013
I wonder what cancelling of concession has to do with stopping tolling on the road. A majority of those who complain about tolling have never passed the corridor since it was built! Tolling the road is for public good as long as the proceeds return to the state government or the company holding the concession.
How do we expect the concessionaire to recoup its investments on the construction and maintenance?
On the question of alternative routes, they have provided. During peak periods, it it faster to go through the alternative routes than the toll gates. So what all the fuss about?
If government decides to build a bridge connecting two communities like Ikoyi and Lekki phase 1 and toll the road, it is your choice to pay up or ply the admiralty - ozumba - falomo bridge - kingsway road route. Your time or cash, you decide which is more valuable to you.
Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by Nobody: 1:38pm On Aug 28, 2013
abhosts: That does not mean that tolling would stop. The Tolling Proceeds would simply be diverted to the State Government.

This will definitely lead to Legal chaos. The lagos state government would have to concession it to somebody else to justify tolling on that road. This was their initial arguement that they couldn't fund the upgrade of that road so if all of a sudden they figure they can raise 7billion to buy back the road, then why should residents pay toll to them on a road that was ALREADY PAID FOR USING TAX PAYERS MONEY by Jakande

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by veraponpo(m): 1:39pm On Aug 28, 2013
software man:

i answered your questions but you did not understand. so i will try again.

The number of years it takes to build any particular lenght of road depends on a good number of factors that i as outsider cannot answer.

haba. in 1999, the entire lagos budget was 1 billion naira only.Even though this increases every year as a result of superb economic management of the tinubu / fashola administation , it only came to 492 billion this year.
secondly, the budget of a state does not go into building infrastructure alone( workers salaries,recurrent expenditures,education, health, environment etc) are included. so your question makes no sense whatsoever.

thirdly,The fact that you budget a particular amount in a year does not mean that you will realise that same amount.(while the budget performance of the tinubu / fashola administration avarages 65% in the past fourteen years, the PDP federal govt has being abysmally less than 30% on the average.)

The statement 'There are current plans to reduce the burden of Lagos ports (both seaport and airport ), this would result in decreased revenue' makes no sense to me. are you saying that the government is planning to reduce economic activities in the lagos and apapa seaport? What percentage of duties from ports and airport which is collected by the the federal government comes to the lagos state government?

A government that increases its internally generated IGR by nothing less 200% every year for the past fourteen years and that is projecting 40 billion monthly IGR within the next two years does not have to worry about a debt profile of 610 billion.

The important thing is to continue to invest in infrastructural development,security etc in order to continue to attract private sector investments(which is the major engine of growing a mega city world wide).
The state of new york and California in the US are richer than most countries and still carries debts totalling billions of dollars.

I hope i have now answered your questions.

You are indeed a software man and very intelligent. Most times I laugh when people talk about tax in Lagos State. Most people dont know that FG makes more money from tax than Lagos State does. The VAT and Withholding tax accruable to FG from Lagos is far more than PAYE of staff that LASG can collect and every state collects PAYE. And because of people's ignorance they believe LASG collects everything and they talk of multiple tax in LASG.
The question is what percent of our people pay tax only a few that work in corporate organizations. So all these questions of APAPA Port, Tin Can,etc will not affect LASG at all.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 28, 2013
marleymcintosh: I wonder what cancelling of concession has to do with stopping tolling on the road. A majority of those who complain about tolling have never passed the corridor since it was built! Tolling the road is for public good as long as the proceeds return to the state government or the company holding the concession.
How do we expect the concessionaire to recoup its investments on the construction and maintenance?
On the question of alternative routes, they have provided. During peak periods, it it faster to go through the alternative routes than the toll gates. So what all the fuss about?
If government decides to build a bridge connecting two communities like Ikoyi and Lekki phase 1 and toll the road, it is your choice to pay up or ply the admiralty - ozumba - falomo bridge - kingsway road route. Your time of cash, you decide which is more valuable to you.

Excuse you but in the case of "building a brige" they are providing new/alternative infrastructure.
It is different when you decide to "widen" the road that residents have been plying (also the only available road) and then decide to tax it. They shoud have built an "Alternate road" e.g the coastal road and then TOLL it. No one would have complained. I am not against tolling but everyone knows that the greed and corruption involved with that lekki toll is inhumane

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by eio2013: 1:45pm On Aug 28, 2013
Thumbs up Bro.
God bless u 4 this.
I pity for Lagosians after Tinubu/Fashola is through with them.
They are cancelling the toll in respect of 2015 election.

t-something:
N507billion Budget , yet a 50Km road with toll gates at every 10Km could still not be completed 8 years after?
Even with an already huge debt profile of 610 billion , Bros Fashola just announced he will have to borrow more.

Lagosians can you guys boast of 500billion infrastructure X 14 years? By the time Fashola and Tinubu finish with you guys, your unborn generation will still be paying these huge debt, don't forget unlike South South states that depend on oil for their allocations , Lagos depends on businesses due to its strategic position as a major entry point into Nigeria, and with the diversification of these ports, like proposed Ibaka seaport and now Akanu Ibiam international airport , Lagos may have to share patronage with these cities hence reduction in revenue . So how does Fashola intend to repay 610 billion (and still counting) debt??

This a question sensible Lagosians should ask

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by jagabanban: 1:45pm On Aug 28, 2013
In the midst of all the comments and posts, people are not asking the real questions.

The money for financing the construction came from somewhere. Both equity and debt financing, I'm assuming. So, how and with with what money will LASG pay the investors? The State would probably go borrowing again to pay the debts.

Lagosians would now be saddened with the burden of an ineffective civil service system playing out on the highways in addition to the 'extra' debt burden

The toll plaza would no longer work. Everything that is presently wrong with the civil service would begin to manifest.

For the investors though, they have nothing to lose as they would collect their money to the last kobo or cent. Its the ordinary Lagosian that would feel the heat, the most.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by Nobody: 1:47pm On Aug 28, 2013
publisher: [size=13pt]This is where corruption in Lagos rears it's ugly 'Tinubu' head.
How do you concession the building ,construction and management of a major highway to a start-up company(LCC) that has NEVER embarked on any major construction anywhere in Nigeria or the world?[/size]

By all atandards, they have performed excellently. The road is built to standard, well lit, maintained and remains the safest in the state.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by anonimi: 1:49pm On Aug 28, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Worse still is the fact that the people of that area have been raped, financially, through the failed concession agreement. Yeye!

Not only financially but also physically unleashing police men against PEACEFUL protesters.

Lagos police brutalise Lekki toll gate protesters

Officers of the Lagos State Police Command today brutalised defenceless citizens protesting the introduction of a toll gate along the Lekki expressway in Lagos. Eye witnesses say the police threw caution to the wind as they tear-gassed, pushed, shoved, beat protesters, leaving some of them unconscious, the Nigeria Police Watch is reporting.

Some protesters, we are told, were arrested and taken to an unknown destination. Fully armed officers were dispelled to quel the protest which was peaceful until the police moved in.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/3153-lagos_police_brutalises_lekki_toll_gate_protesters.html

This was from the "best governor in the world" less than two years ago.
I wonder how much of the 7.5 billion largesse will go to the traumatised protesters
Mumus in the house raise your hands please!

[img]http://www.nigeriafilms.com/image.aspx?img=Y29udGVudC9jb250ZW50L0xhZ29zLWxla2tpLXByb3Rlc3RlcnMyLmpwZ3w2NjA=[/img]

1 Like

Re: Lagos Cancels Lekki-epe Expressway Concession by eio2013: 1:49pm On Aug 28, 2013
Because we live in lagos and feel the evil pains inflicted on us by Tinubu/Fashola

ImperialYoruba: I dont get it

Everytime Lagos and Fashola in news all kind of carricature and pouripoussu, the homeless and the transient, the jobless and the na.ked carry their toothless gum begin yarn nonsense to defame His Excellency. Awon alakoba,, oniyangi, look, multiple pages already within 2hrs.

I see multitude threads out there already talking about confusion in Taraba, Rivers and Anambra, some of them opened over 24hrs and barely made 1 page yet. I need you all to disperse and vamoose and leave Fashola alone abeg. aahah, kilode!! angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Understanding Buhari In 365 Days: Chronicles Of His Achievements- Breaking Times / Mohammed Abubakar, Shettima, Badaru Abubakar Observe Hajj In Saudi Arabia / Avengers Adopt Atiku, Threaten A Crumbled Economy If Election Is Rigged

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.