Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,544 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST (3979 Views)

Now That Crude Is Gradually Becoming Worthless, What Next For Niger Delta? / BayelsaDecides: INEC About To Announce The Official Result / The Official Cars Of The Nigerian Service Chiefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Gregdcutie(m): 8:30am On Sep 02, 2013
English is the closest thing to a lingua
franca around the world as roughly
700 million people speak it. The United
kingdom’s comprise the English, the
Scots, the Welsh and Irish but the
English language is the lingua Franca of the kingdom. Even France which
prides itself for its linguistic integrity
have conceded that English as a
number one. It is the dominant
language in general education,
technology, electronics, and advertising in radio, medicine and
international business. Why then can’t
Nigeria adopt English as a lingua
franca and stop the expensive bogey
of cultural wazobianization? To what
extent will an indigenous lingua franca be relevant to scientific
education? English is the basis of our federal unity.

1 Like

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Gregdcutie(m): 8:33am On Sep 02, 2013
Ragolis Water:

Shut the hell up and get back to your village!!!

So, we shouldn't protect our heritage because some ibo bigots aren't happy?
when you get schooled enough, then and only then are we going to have a conversation
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 02, 2013
Gregdcutie: English is the closest thing to a lingua

Jam your hype and stop spamming everywhere with junk posts!!

In the UK, these are the official languages of the countries in the union:

- England: English.
- Wales: Welsh and English.
- Northern Ireland: Irish, Ulster Scots and English.
- Scotland: Scottish Gaelic, Scots and English.

So why can't Nigeria do the same?

3 Likes

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:39am On Sep 02, 2013
Why do Igbo people get angry at any move made by the South West, especially Lagos State? What has happened ever since Igbo people started compelling bishops in Catholic churches in Yorubaland dominated by the Igbo to use Igbo to conduct services?
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Gregdcutie(m): 8:44am On Sep 02, 2013
ShymmexLion:

Jam your hype and stop spamming everywhere with junk posts!!

In the UK, these are the official languages of the countries in the union:

- England: English.
- Wales: Welsh and English.
- Northern Ireland: Irish, Ulster Scots and English.
- Scotland: Scottish Gaelic, Scots and English.

So why can't Nigeria do the same?
cause Nigeria is too complicted a state for any tribe to be exalted above others
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Gregdcutie(m): 8:46am On Sep 02, 2013
Orlando Owoh: Why do Igbo people get angry at any move made by the South West, especially Lagos State? What has happened ever since Igbo people started compelling bishops in Catholic churches in Yorubaland dominated by the Igbo to use Igbo to conduct services?
Get ur facts right, it happens even in the anglican church. Its just specific services that are conducted in indigeneous languages
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by RagolisWater: 8:50am On Sep 02, 2013
dridowu: exchange word with me ? Tell ur state gov that they shd do d same if u are jealous of my beloved SOUTH WEST or better still file a petition against SOUTH WEST at the Federal High Court Abuja
Please if u dont mind , why are u pple always find fault in SOUTH WEST, especially LAGOS .

Imagine the monkey asking who made Lagos a Yoruba state?

1 Like

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Nobody: 8:51am On Sep 02, 2013
Gregdcutie: cause Nigeria is too complicted a state for any tribe to be exalted above others

Nah, it's because the utterly corrupt leaders and dumb followers don't understand what nation building entails. If most of you were half-smart and not dimwitted, you would understand the structural defects in your country and work towards correcting it, rather than trying to model yourselves and your country after people/countries who have a distinctly different experience/history with you.

Now you need to shut up, take a deep breathe, and go ponder over everything I explained to you this morning, son! undecided

3 Likes

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by mapet: 8:52am On Sep 02, 2013
Gregdcutie: Smh.. I wont codescend to your level by exchanging words with you...I was thought better.
Judging by your tenses (I dare not call it spelling error), you well situated in your level
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by mapet: 8:56am On Sep 02, 2013
Bros,

Anglican Churches has of recent discouraged such and practically outlawed it in churches birthed post year 2000 in dioceses (especially Lagos West). That is one of the problems we've had in Igbo dominated parishes, they clamour for "Igbo Services", yet the Bishop has stated that churches created post 2000 should not even conduct services in Yoruba, but be strictly English speaking.....

Gregdcutie: Get ur facts right, it happens even in the anglican church. Its just specific services that are conducted in indigeneous languages
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by RagolisWater: 9:04am On Sep 02, 2013
mapet:
Judging by your tenses (I dare not call it spelling error), you well situated in your level

It is not easy tending to customers buying spare parts and going to school.

The OP is a clown.

1 Like

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by FreeGlobe(f): 9:07am On Sep 02, 2013
This nonsense cannot staand. The yoruba govs should only implement this law in their cave states. We are not interested but Lagos a cosmopolitan state belonging to Nigerians and built with Nigeria money at the detriment of other states must not be part of it. I know this law is being propagated with Lagos in mind but they have failed because this illiteracy is already being practiced in all Yoruba states. 75% Yorubas living in Yoruba states cannot speak, communicate or understand English nor pidgin. Lagos is not Yorubaland, it is just South West. The FG bought Lagos and it belongs to Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Confusionist(m): 9:08am On Sep 02, 2013
Gregdcutie: I just got angered now seeing a news on channels tv that whilst the south western governors left pressing issues unresolved to discuss making yoruba the language to be used in teaching in the basic levels of education(like its not already a nuisance as most students in primary and secondary levels of education cant effecively communicate except with yoruba) the lagos state house of assembly has passed a law that henceforth members will on somedays dress in YORUBA TRADITIONAL ATTIRE and conduct house proceedings in YORUBA. And I wondered if they taught of the implications
1. Does it mean that no other tribe can get into the state house of assembly considering the fact that the constitution allows for you to claim indigenship of a particular state after having stayed there for a while which thus allows for active participation in that states politics...#thoughts
Anyways to me and most lagosians that statehouse is just one big joke with the whole members emanating from one party #ACN. They could decide to speak ACN language for all we care. The truth whether you take it or not the yorubas are not half the population of other tribes hn lagos and people will still argue that lagos ownership really can be claimed by any tribe#Fact if Nigeria divides today posterity will judge cause each one of them had a role to play no matter how small....what are your thoughts
dude, u av the mentality of a slave!!!

U are an igbo, a bigot by nature, and confused by thoughts!!

The truth is,

1. English is our second language. A means of communication with the rest of Nigeria.

2. In SW, yoruba comes first..if we need to address u lots, we will speak in English!

3. The English u will kill urself for, av u forgotten it's a language of another and not urs?

Why dnt u ask d russians, chinese, germans, french to adopt english of igbo?

U are a dunce!

2 Likes

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by RagolisWater: 9:10am On Sep 02, 2013
FreeGlobe: [s]This nonsense cannot staand. The yoruba govs should only implement this law in their cave states. We are not interested but Lagos a cosmopolitan state belonging to Nigerians and built with Nigeria money at the detriment of other states must not be part of it. I know this law is being propagated with Lagos in mind but they have failed because this illiteracy is already being practiced in all Yoruba states. 75% Yorubas living in Yoruba states cannot speak, communicate or understand English nor pidgin. Lagos is not Yorubaland, it is just South West. The FG bought Lagos and it belongs to Nigerians[/s].

Fool.

4 Likes

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 02, 2013
Gregdcutie: English is the closest thing to a lingua
and forget our own language which will result into the death of our culture nd generation will have to start a ultimate search to know who dey are?

1 Like

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by 1shortblackboy: 9:16am On Sep 02, 2013
Stillemma: Guy wether u like it or not,YORUBA is d most spoken Nigerian language,both locally n internationally,so deal wit it.
nope its hausa second to igbo really and truely and im not of either tribe
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Femolacaster(m): 9:19am On Sep 02, 2013
Gregdcutie: we did that with GEJ didnt we?
Was it only lagos that gej won in Swest ? Didn't he win oyo,ekiti,ogun. So non-yorubas made him to win him those states? Get the fact right.

1 Like

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Gregdcutie(m): 9:21am On Sep 02, 2013
mapet:
condescend and taught you mean...those were just honest errors...no 1 is perfect u know
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Gregdcutie(m): 9:23am On Sep 02, 2013
mapet:
condescend and taught you mean...those were just honest errors...no 1 is perfect u know..its just a matter of my brain working faster than my hands thus am saying it correctly im my head buh am not typing it right. My apologies btw
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by RagolisWater: 9:24am On Sep 02, 2013
Femolacaster:
Was it only lagos that gej won in Swest ? Didn't he win oyo,ekiti,ogun. So non-yorubas made him to win him those states? Get the fact right.

The earlier you get that these guys in our region are nothing but backstabbing snakes that must be exterminated by all means the better.

You heard him boasting right?

1 Like

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Nobody: 9:25am On Sep 02, 2013
Pathetic op,d earlier some people realise dat dere is nothing like one nigeria,d better..one nigeria only exists on a sheet of paper and sw govs can see dat,so dey are already planning ahead while some people are fooling around with one nigeria..

1 Like

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by RagolisWater: 9:26am On Sep 02, 2013
Gregdcutie: condescend and taught you mean...those were just honest errors...no 1 is perfect u know..its just a matter of my brain working faster than my hands thus am saying it correctly im my head buh am not typing it right. My apologies btw

^^^
Here you have it.

Symptoms of acute syphilis of the brain. Go get some help.
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:27am On Sep 02, 2013
Gregdcutie: Get ur facts right, it happens even in the anglican church. Its just specific services that are conducted in indigeneous languages
You lied.
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Gregdcutie(m): 9:30am On Sep 02, 2013
FreeGlobe: This nonsense cannot staand. The yoruba govs should only implement this law in their cave states. We are not interested but Lagos a cosmopolitan state belonging to Nigerians and built with Nigeria money at the detriment of other states must not be part of it. I know this law is being propagated with Lagos in mind but they have failed because this illiteracy is already being practiced in all Yoruba states. 75% Yorubas living in Yoruba states cannot speak, communicate or understand English nor pidgin. Lagos is not Yorubaland, it is just South West. The FG bought Lagos and it belongs to Nigerians.
thank God another person shares my sentiments. And instead of people tabling their facts to defend their side of the divide they resort to insults .
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 02, 2013
FreeGlobe: This nonsense cannot staand. The yoruba govs should only implement this law in their cave states. We are not interested but Lagos a cosmopolitan state belonging to Nigerians and built with Nigeria money at the detriment of other states must not be part of it. I know this law is being propagated with Lagos in mind but they have failed because this illiteracy is already being practiced in all Yoruba states. 75% Yorubas living in Yoruba states cannot speak, communicate or understand English nor pidgin. Lagos is not Yorubaland, it is just South West. The FG bought Lagos and it belongs to Nigerians.

How come the Federal government didn't spend any money in your caves? Until you present the bill of sales that FG bought Lagos,you should be prepared to learn Yoruba, and left to me I will make you get Yoruba tribal marks too.
Which one do you prefer; keke olowu or abaja olowu, so many styles to choose from.

4 Likes

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Gregdcutie(m): 9:33am On Sep 02, 2013
jemman:
and forget our own language which will result into the death of our culture nd generation will have to start a ultimate search to know who dey are?
now thats a solid point #noted
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 02, 2013
Gregdcutie: thank God another person shares my sentiments. And instead of people tabling their facts to defend their side of the divide they resort to insults .

Nah, another bigoted Igbo shares your sentiment and faux sense of entitlement to OPP (other people's property).

Anyway, let me give you a short history tutorial. Do you know why some bantu people migrated from Eastern Nigeria to Central and Southern Africa? They left due to the arrival of the Nilotic and Cushitic people in West Africa. It seems the next phase of Bantu migration would be the extinction of bantuoids in present day Nigeria. grin

Keep acting suicidal and trying to cause trouble everywhere! undecided

I'm out, yo!!

2 Likes

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Gregdcutie(m): 9:39am On Sep 02, 2013
Miss becky: Pathetic op,d earlier some people realise dat dere is nothing like one nigeria,d better..one nigeria only exists on a sheet of paper and sw govs can see dat,so dey are already planning ahead while some people are fooling around with one nigeria..
Not pathetic but like Fela Durotoye am optimistic
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by Gregdcutie(m): 9:43am On Sep 02, 2013
There is indeed so much hate in the hearts of Nigerians against oneanother that am beginning to think the problem has never been our leaders all these while buh the hatred against others that most people have been made to grow up with
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by WildChild00(m): 9:46am On Sep 02, 2013
Gregdcutie: I am not holding brief for anytribe here. If anytribe had done same, and I had heard of it, I would have also codemned and to those saying yorubas will survive a revolution. smh. Seems u dont know what a revolution is. Ask countries that have undergone such NO ONE IS EVER SPARED.

pls tell them, revolution in the middle east as a case study was way bloody, " as the saying goes, a child that has never witness war before will always keep calling for one" many of them here can not stand the sound of even a gun shot.
Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by abu12: 9:55am On Sep 02, 2013
Aigbofa:

How come the Federal government didn't spend any money in your caves? Until you present the bill of sales that FG bought Lagos,you should be prepared to learn Yoruba, and left to me I will make you get Yoruba tribal marks too.
Which one do you prefer; keke olowu or abaja oluwu, so many styles to choose from.

Hahahahahahaha Please we have some beautiful tribal mark also here in the north, but when will SW start?

1 Like

Re: YORUBA GRADUALLY BECOMING THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IN SOUTHWEST by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:56am On Sep 02, 2013
Igbo people cause problem where there is none, and if they are confronted, they claim they are being persecuted like the Jews.
There constitution is there for anybody to see, and it clearly states in sections 55 and 97 for the national and states houses of assembly respectively on the language(s) that can be used to conduct business on the floor of the houses.
Section 55: The business of the National Assembly shall be conducted in Englsh and in Hausa, Ibo (sic) and Yoruba when adequate arrangements have been made therefor.

Section 97: The business of a House of Assembly shall be conducted in English, but the House may in addition to English conduct the business of the Hause in one or more other languages spoken in the state in as the Hause may by resolution approve.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Shot Down Nigerian Airforce Jet? / Popular Nigerian Lawmaker Sleeping With Three Blood Sisters / While Igbos And Yoruba Bicker: The Losses Mount. - Ena Ofugara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.