Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,928 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

Pilot Career - Career (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pilot Career (72534 Views)

Why Become A Commercial Pilot? - Many Pilots Never Admit #11 / Will I Be Trained As A Pilot If I Join The Airforce With A Bsc In Psycology / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pilot Career by motide(m): 9:25pm On Jan 29, 2012
please i will like to know if Bristow Helicopter admits those who read arts or social sciences for sponsorship? What i am trying to say is that i read social sciences in secondary school, therefore, i do not have physics and chemistry in my o/level result, so i want to know if bristow helicopters usually sponsors those with art or social sciences waec result, Considering my own case as i read social sciences in secondary school with social science o/level result without physics and chemistry and i studied accounting in the university, can i be qualified for sponsorship to a flight training school by Bristow Helicopters? Please if you have an idea as regards my question, you can send me a message on this forum or better still send me a message on darzles@gmail.com or call or text me on 08060818429. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Pilot Career by CaptZack: 8:38pm On Feb 04, 2012
Hey guys if anybody needs information about pilot career please contact me. I will be more than happy to help you out. in fact I'm just putting together a program to help pilots from all around the world get their careers started. depending on my free time I can meet with you one on one or with a group and answer all of your questions and maybe go further.
It's the most amazing career in the world. it's doable and easy more than anybody thinks.

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by cdoffx(m): 10:58am On Feb 06, 2012
thanks capt.Zack.
but you did not give any contact info by which you could be reached. i'm interested
Re: Pilot Career by CaptZack: 1:28pm On Feb 12, 2012
Dear
You may call me on 08164799451.
Re: Pilot Career by DonSegmond(m): 12:21am On Feb 16, 2012
As a person who has interest in flying for a hobby. The number one barrier I see towards being a pilot for peeps in Naija is cost. Point blank period. flying is not cheap. So if you can't afford it, give it up. No one will let you fly for free. If you are in Naija, there's Nigerian college of Aviation in Zaire, http://www.ncat.gov.ng/. If you have the money to travel outside the country, you can go to a different state and learn.

You start out with getting your private license,
then night rating
then after that, you work on your VFR/IMC using instruments
then after that you work on multi-engine rating
then commercial pilot rating
then ATP

by the time you are done, you would have spend easily $20-$30k. And a lot of time.

Pilots are not making that much money today, so think wisely about this!
Re: Pilot Career by ataime(f): 11:42am On Feb 16, 2012
feel goood knowing pple lyk me anyways ive always haboured the dream of being a pilot since childhood, but smhw i wsnt opportund to, ima a female graduate of chemistry curently doing ma nysc bt im still intrstd in being a pilot, but kinda of scared of the financial aspect since im self sponsored can any1 ad ice me, tnx
Re: Pilot Career by ataime(f): 11:57am On Feb 16, 2012
@don segmond jst checkd up the ncat site and gosh d fees are mindblowing, may God help us, amen
sad
Re: Pilot Career by Dreamflyin(m): 1:39pm On Feb 16, 2012
Donsegmond, wen u ar nt fully grounded in aviation n also dumb n cnt take risks, jst shut d fvck up. Dnt come here n discourage pple dat wants 2 pursue deir dream, mind ur own life. Dat u failed dnt mean evryone got 2 fail. Truly, pilot trainin is xpensiv but its worth d pains if u've got d enthusiasm n spirit. Ask olamide, he's a livin testimony. Flyin is nt 4 chicken hearted, take d risk n join d pilots.
Re: Pilot Career by Dreamflyin(m): 1:55pm On Feb 16, 2012
Ataime, as a female, u've got a fabulous chance of bein a pilot. Aerocontractors ar currently runnin a marketin strategy by puttin women in d whole cabin as crews, 4rm capt 2 attendants. Try 2 get in 2 NCAT pilot trainin, they'll definitly sponsor u, i assure u 90%. D aviation sector nw prefers lady pilots 2 male pilots cos they ar hard 2 b poachd by foreign airlines. Gudluk, mayb if ivy4u sees dis post, she'll help u out.
Re: Pilot Career by ataime(f): 3:10pm On Feb 16, 2012
dream flying tnx a million, but do u think ma nysc might distort everything
Re: Pilot Career by Dreamflyin(m): 4:19pm On Feb 16, 2012
Nt a bit, ataime. Get done wit ur nysc, flyin wil always b there, waitin.
Re: Pilot Career by ataime(f): 4:40pm On Feb 16, 2012
yea, tnx a grt deal dreamflyin smiley
Re: Pilot Career by yamakuza: 5:19pm On Feb 16, 2012
Dreamflyin:

Nt a bit, ataime. Get done wit ur nysc, flyin wil always b there, waitin.

captain, any info for Helipilots?

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-869903.0.html

thanks!
Re: Pilot Career by yamakuza: 6:07am On Feb 20, 2012
swirlgoldie:

Hello, im a cabin crew with an airline in nigeria but intend to do a modular courses catB1.1, in the UK. The infor im getting is that it would tk me 5yrs to get a CAA licence after the relevant job experience.
My question is, hw long will it tk me after the modular exams to get NCAA licence in nigeria?

^ does anyone know?

Thanks.
Re: Pilot Career by aglomar: 9:03am On Feb 22, 2012
I want to be a pilot but I'm scared and I'm doing something quite different now. High flyers pls help me out.
Re: Pilot Career by stuffs4me(m): 2:59am On Mar 24, 2012
nice job guys,
Re: Pilot Career by Nobody: 10:11am On Mar 29, 2012
I'm a current helicopter PPL student in south Africa and my school is one of the cheapest around...it will cost approx 710k rands which approx about 15million naira plus to complete the whole training including accommodation.... You also have to know that you might spend more than this amount if don't give the training your 80%.

My best Advise is for you to pursue your PPL first and keep looking for sponsorship and also don't forget the most important thing to do is back it up with prayer,you might be the Next person Bristow or Calverton is looking to sponsor.

Thank You and God Bless.

Ola
Re: Pilot Career by stuffs4me(m): 10:59pm On Mar 29, 2012
hi easywayxxx,
good to know u ere in south africa doing the PPL.. I still feel your school in South africa is a bit on the high side if its costing 15Milion Naira for CPL..
I can tell you some good schools in the USA offer much less than that, sometimes as low as 8million naira.. Aviation College zaria (Nigeria) is 7.5million naira while Illorin Aviation (Nigeria) is about 10million Naira..
15milion Naira is the cost of two students in aviation college zaria, including accomodation, feeding and all other study materials...
Re: Pilot Career by Nobody: 11:49pm On Mar 29, 2012
@ Stuffs4me, the price i quoted is not for fixed wing(Aeroplane) but for Rotary-wing(Helicopter).....flying is much more cheaper in the USA compared to Africa...i once got admission to Ocean Helicopters in West Palm Beach Florida but couldn't get the Visa due to the Embassy Pa-lava and the price they gave to me was 52k dollars including accommodation for 5 months but i will only be finishing with 150hours without getting a rating on a R44...The price i quoted for my school in south Africa will cover 250flying hours which includes 10hrs on R44,Instrument ratings and 12months accommodation ... it also includes R2500 monthly allowance...that's the best you can get anywhere in Africa.....I think the price is fair because the owner of my school is a devoted christian...

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by yamakuza: 1:02am On Mar 30, 2012
^ Like how much can (chopper) pilots earn in Nigeria, if they have to spend over N10m on education?
Re: Pilot Career by desertboom(m): 8:27am On Apr 01, 2012
It seems the fee is on a high side. Please, how much does one have to earn per month after you must have spent 10million on training. (I mean helicopter pilot)
Re: Pilot Career by slyboggie(m): 9:27am On Apr 01, 2012
desertboom: It seems the fee is on a high side. Please, how much does one have to earn per month after you must have spent 10million on training. (I mean helicopter pilot)
yamakuza: ^ Like how much can (chopper) pilots earn in Nigeria, if they have to spend over N10m on education?
Depending on the company you work for.one of the companies(name withheld)pays up to $35k to $40k per annum for guys straight out of flight skool, it could quadriple after 3 to 5 years of flight experience(u must have accumulated thousands of hours by then).
Re: Pilot Career by yamakuza: 9:39am On Apr 01, 2012
sly boggie:
Depending on the company you work for. One of the companies (name withheld) pays up to $35k to $40k per annum for guys straight out of flight skool, it could quadriple after 3 to 5 years of flight experience (u must have accumulated thousands of hours by then).

Thanks for the info. Is that in Nigeria?

$40k/yr is like N6.4m/yr or N533k/mth.

Then that becomes like N2m/mth after 4yrs.

I guess they should be able to recover the initial cost in 2 to 3 yrs.

But then, how easy is it to get these jobs? I want to believe there are more planes than choppers in Nigeria.
Re: Pilot Career by slyboggie(m): 10:59am On Apr 01, 2012
yamakuza:

Thanks for the info. Is that in Nigeria?

$40k/yr is like N6.4m/yr or N533k/mth.

Then that becomes like N2m/mth after 4yrs.

I guess they should be able to recover the initial cost in 2 to 3 yrs.

But then, how easy is it to get these jobs? I want to believe there are more planes than choppers in Nigeria.

Yes in Nigeria.u don't get paid dat much as a fresher outside nigeria(except in some very few middle eastern countries)

Jobs can be easy to get if u search at the right place at the right time.

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by stuffs4me(m): 5:35am On Apr 02, 2012
@ Stuffs4me, the price i quoted is not for fixed wing(Aeroplane) but for Rotary-wing(Helicopter).....flying is much more cheaper in the USA compared to Africa...i once got admission to Ocean Helicopters in West Palm Beach Florida but couldn't get the Visa due to the Embassy Pa-lava and the price they gave to me was 52k dollars including accommodation for 5 months but i will only be finishing with 150hours without getting a rating on a R44...The price i quoted for my school in south Africa will cover 250flying hours which includes 10hrs on R44,Instrument ratings and 12months accommodation ... it also includes R2500 monthly allowance...that's the best you can get anywhere in Africa.....I think the price is fair because the owner of my school is a devoted christian...

Thanks for the clarification, for one thing I know rotary-wing training is more expensiveness sha... This prices you gave are they for CPL or PPL
Re: Pilot Career by nonso211: 9:41am On May 03, 2012
If anyone is planing coming to South Africa to train for a fixed wing lemme kno i can help you out here in SA. Good school,accomodation inclusive and good aircraft with high reputation most Nigerians who finshed from here got jobs instatntly and are flying Dash8 and ATR as freshers. Pursue your dream and live ur life
Re: Pilot Career by wilson007: 7:19am On May 04, 2012
Hey guys, what a trend.. Feels sad I missed it all this while.. Always wanted to be a pilot but didn't wanna do it in stages really better wen I'm done I have my cpl,ir,me,cpi and type rating. Which will cost a lot and I mean on fixed wings.. Well I started working in an adverising firm but late last year I resign and went to dubai to pursue my dream, did a flight dispatch course at emirates aviation college and back home looking for a airline to do on the job traing. Any body in the that can help me or advice can reach me wilson00704@yahoo.co.uk.. Thanks u all...
Re: Pilot Career by Dreamflyin(m): 11:09am On Jul 25, 2012
Finally am doin wat av always wantd 2 do; flying. 2 all enthusiastic pilots, dnt lose focus, cos startin ur training is nt d problem, but finishin wit d least amount of money spent.
Frankly, it've nt been rosy here in southafrica. Southafrican CAA av got d hardest of exams ( 8 ). Take my hint, start readin 4 ur groundskul b4 u start ur training, dat way, u'll spend less money n time. Remember '' small boys drive, BIG BOYS FLY '' lol... Dnt mind me jare, am naughty sometimes. Go 4 ur dream, no dullin. Tower, mike uniform juliet requestin fullstop landin.

1 Like

Re: Pilot Career by Dreamflyin(m): 11:56am On Oct 05, 2012
Pls house, anyone that applied for Bristow this year,
or any other cadetship?
Re: Pilot Career by Horus(m): 6:25pm On Oct 13, 2012

Olumide Ayoola                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             [size=15pt]Fight to flight[/size]

The inspiring story of how this man fought to fulfill his childhood dream of becoming a pilot.
WHEN HE was just five years old, Olumide Ayoola set foot on a plane for the very first time - and was hooked.
It took 42-year-old Olumide another 25 years of determination to finally become a commercial airline pilot for KLM UK.
Ayoola told The Voice’s Trudy Simpson of his amazing journey. “When I was five, I went on my first flight. The cabin crew
took all the children on board to see the cockpit and the pilot.

AIRCRAFT

“Once I walked in and saw the buttons and lights, and the view they had from the front of the aircraft, I fell in love with it. I said ‘This is what I want to do.’ “There is a big difference between wanting to be a pilot at five and eventually achieving it at the age of 30. That was down to mainly financial and health reasons. “In secondary school I would daydream and followed any newspaper reports and publications about airplanes and pilots, and every time I flew I tried to get the chance to talk to the pilot. Every opportunity I got, I would go to the airport. “At 16, when I finished my O’ levels, I gathered enough information to go to flight school. However, his parents encouraged him to go to university first.
“I came over from Nigeria to go to school in England. It gave me more access to find out more about becoming a pilot.
“Becoming a pilot was also in the background when I went to university and studied engineering. “When I finished at niversity, I was free to pursue it. But when I found out the cost was so high, I couldn’t afford it. “Flying training is very expensive. It costs about £80,000 to go from scratch to being at the point where an airline can finally employ you ,and even then they have to put you through further training. “There are a number of ways people can get in. You can be lucky enough to have the cash so you can pay for the training yourself. At the age of 21, I didn’t. “I couldn’t ask my parents to sponsor it because the cost was so high and they had already spent so much on my education. On top of that, I had
found out my eyesight was not good enough to be a commercial airline pilot. “At that time you had to have virtually perfect eyesight to be a pilot and I wore glasses from the age of 10, so it looked, for a long time, like I was not going to be able to achieve it. I was very despondent. It was as if the dream was over.

PRIVATE

“But I was told my eyesight was still good enough to be a private pilot. So I said ‘If that is the next best thing, I’ll do that’. I did that on and off and started working as an engineer for London Underground, flying whenever I could as a leisure thing. “I later found out that London Underground had a flying club, which was subsidised so it was cheaper than what I was doing. I went there and started flying more and more. And I (later) read about laser eye surgery. “At 24, once I found out I was suitable for it, the dream came back. I did the surgery, waited two years to make sure the eyesight was stabilised, and applied again to be a commercial pilot. I also started looking into going to flight school. “Airlines were offering sponsorship (to go to school) but for one reason or another, I was not eligible. I realised I would have to self-sponsor. “I worked for a few years as an engineer and saved up and got lucky with the property I bought. I realised that by selling the property I would be able to pay off the mortgage, pay for the flying training and have enough to put down on a deposit for another place. “I did my flight training for three years because I didn’t do it full time. I had a mortgage to pay and bills, so I had to keep working and did the academic part of the training part time. “I finished the training and began job hunting. I sent applications to at least 500 different companies, different types of airlines. But it is twice as difficult for somebody who is self-sponsored compared to somebody who is sponsored by an airline. “But I kept applying and networking, talking to people. I met people who were working as pilots who could make recommendations. “It took me about nine months to find a job. There were times I felt like giving up, when people said ‘You are crazy, you are throwing away a good career to chase this dream’, because I was well paid as an engineer. “It was a good career but it felt all the time that something was missing from my life. “My big break came at an aviation jobs exhibition, given to me by one of the guys I knew from networking. “Nearly all major airlines were recruiting but I sat through presentation after presentation saying they were looking for the type of person I wasn’t. “Half way through, I thought I was wasting my time and went outside. Standing near the door was an old gentleman smoking a pipe. “We got talking and I basically told him that it seemed I was wasting my time here because I was self-sponsored, over the age limit, and did not have enough experience. “He talked me into staying, saying ‘You never know, ’ so I went back inside to listen to more presentations. “Then they said the next speaker is the pilot manager from KLM UK. On stage came the man I had been speaking to. “They had a round table after the presentation and I went over, and he and I chatted. “He said ‘Don’t give up and eventually we will get to your application’. We had a very encouraging conversation and I went home feeling much happier. “Three days later, I got a phone call from one of the guys I mentioned to him and he was saying the gentleman had asked about me. “He encouraged me to call (the gentleman) again. I did. He said he had spoken to my friend about me. He put my CV in the pile of those that he had recommended. “Six months later, I was starting a new job! There was a bit of trepidation but a lot of happiness. I have been with KLM 10 years. “My message (to people) is not to let themselves be railroaded by peer, parental or any other kind of pressure into doing something they don’t feel is for them. Everything is possible.”

Source: http://www.voice-online.co.uk/content.php?show=15294

5 Likes

Re: Pilot Career by goldenskies: 10:36pm On Oct 13, 2012
Please could someone help me out. I have a jaa commercial pilot license which happened to expire, i Had to take a break in my carreer because of some family problem, however i plan to resume my career. the validity of the license was five years and i never work with it, now am back to Nigeria could i convert my expired JAA lICENSE to the Nigerian license without renewing the jaa license, could anybody help me out?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Male Nigerian Nurse: Proud Of His Profession / Meet The Aliu Family Of Medical Doctors Where All 5 Sisters Are Medical Doctors / Adaobi Nwosu: Police Officer Celebrates Birthday With Stunning Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.