Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,592 members, 7,823,577 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? (2581 Views)

The Best Way To Keep Your Girl (picture) / 11 Signs To Know If Your Girl Friend Is A Good Girl / Warning Signs That Your Girl Doesn't Love You Anymore. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Sep 08, 2013
Nigerians have this very bad amebo habit of assuming that because they see you having lunch or walking with a girl, that she is your babe.

- cue them Talking in their gossip covens circles about how you both make a good couple.
- cue church members who see you asking when you will marry her.
- cue wannabe-knowitalls putting sand in your garri by telling another girl you're actually interested in that "he already has a girlfriend" when she tries to research you.
- cue them thinking you are a dirty player when they see you again hanging with another girl

...seriously people.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Merkki(f): 12:18am On Sep 09, 2013
Take it easy bro. It happened today again, right?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by kandiikane(m): 12:23am On Sep 09, 2013
Not just nigerians.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Boll2010: 12:56am On Sep 09, 2013
Turn gay n let dem ya nyash.........u wey supose beg seun mak e create section 4 only mak u dy cry di! We talkn money u talkn bit!ches#bit!ches com n go#love com n go
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Nobody: 3:41am On Sep 09, 2013
^^^ Are you 12?
Whoever talks like that certainly hasn't grown. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Nobody: 5:07am On Sep 09, 2013
its normal,the eyes become more intense when the babe arent in the same level of 'class' with you. They either envy you or feel disappointed.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 09, 2013
kandiikane: Not just nigerians.

I agree.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Uch74(m): 7:14am On Sep 09, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]you've said it all! I am actually a victim of these for years now, even when I haven't been dating anyone...........I guess, looks also encourage these insinuations and rumours....no way an ugly dude's gonna be drawn into these sh*t...........

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Nobody: 8:03am On Sep 09, 2013
kandiikane: Not just nigerians.

Unless you mean africans as a whole?

Honestly, whites understand the concept of "going out to hang out" more than nigerians/africans.
They are not as quick to jump to dumbass conclusions.

If a typical nigerian girl sees you and another girl together hanging out, you might as well just propose marriage to the person because that one just wont shut up about it to her coterie of friends. And thus a rumor is born...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by daisyella: 8:21am On Sep 09, 2013
That's because most tyms when you are having lunch with a girl in Nigeria and outside nigeria, it is assumed there is something between you two. u cant change what people think and why does it even bother u what people r thinking?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Nobody: 8:24am On Sep 09, 2013
daisyella: That's because most tyms when you are having lunch with a girl in Nigeria and outside nigeria, it is assumed there is something between you two. u cant change what people think and why does it even bother u what people r thinking?

Read Queue #3 . That's why angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by daisyella: 9:46am On Sep 09, 2013
2buff:

Read Queue #3 . That's why angry
lmao!!! nw I get ur point.
that's juz d way it is bro, if u don't want people thinking shez ur gf, den don't hang out with her 2 much
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by LordReed(m): 10:18am On Sep 09, 2013
I keep wondering why people make things seem like Nigerians are the most crazy people on planet earth. Here is an excerpt from a website that is not Nigerian where the folk know that a simple lunch date can easily be misunderstood.

Native language
Japanese
Thank you for your reply, lucas-sp.
To clarify, please think of this occasion. Let's say Cathy is just my coworker. Another coworker (let's say Kevin) asks me what I am doing tomorrow. I say, "Oh, I'm having a lunch date with Cathy."
At this point Kevin would not know if I meant I'm just having lunch with her or I have a romantic date with her, correct?
If we all have been just friendly coworkers and there weren't any signs of romance before, then could my using the phrase "lunch date" make Kevin wonder which? (For example, make him ask "Are you guys dating?"wink
To avoid confusion, (if there is no romance) is it better to say "I am having lunch with Cathy."?

1st May 2013, 5:40 AM #4 PacificAvacado's Avatar PacificAvacado PacificAvacado is offline
Native language
English-US Midwest
Yes, I think if you used 'lunch date' it could make someone wonder if it's either friendly or romantic.
It would be safe to say, "Oh, I'm going out to lunch with Cathy." The phrase you came up with is fine too!

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2628217

There is nothing about the so called queues (it should be) cues that indicate that this is a purely Nigerian reaction. It would be the height of self denial (not to mention self hate) to say 'white' people (cue Canadians) don't gossip.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Tobiustobius: 10:46am On Sep 09, 2013
Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl?
Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry
The Rich?
Which Do Nigerians Prefer?

People seem to think that Nigerians have a monopoly on certain types of behavior.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by LordReed(m): 12:08pm On Sep 09, 2013
Tobius tobius: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl?
Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Marry
The Rich?
Which Do Nigerians Prefer?

People seem to think that Nigerians have a monopoly on certain types of behavior.

It is amazing how they come up with these things and they keep sounding like they live in some kinda Utopia.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 09, 2013
Lord_Reed: I keep wondering why people make things seem like Nigerians are the most crazy people on planet earth. Here is an excerpt from a website that is not Nigerian where the folk know that a simple lunch date can easily be misunderstood.

There is nothing about the so called queues (it should be) cues that indicate that this is a purely Nigerian reaction. It would be the height of self denial (not to mention self hate) to say 'white' people (cue Canadians) don't gossip.

Thanks for the spelling correction.

Your Japanese example there does not apply as he even used the word "date". That is a word typically reserved for romance.

And what exactly is all this "self hate" nonsense you've been talking about? I don't need to hate myself to have an opinion on an experience. Are you at a point in life where you hate yourself and are trying to reflect that state to anyone who doesn't have the same opinion as you?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by LordReed(m): 5:16pm On Sep 09, 2013
2buff:

Thanks for the spelling correction.

Your Japanese example there does not apply as he even used the word "date". That is a word typically reserved for romance.

And what exactly is all this "self hate" nonsense you've been talking about? I don't need to hate myself to have an opinion on an experience. Are you at a point in life where you hate yourself and are trying to reflect that state to anyone who doesn't have the same opinion as you?

Constantly coming up with posts that denigrate Nigerians (of whom you are an offspring) indicates you are the one with the crisis, I am only pointing it out to you in case you are not aware of the frequency of your denigrating posts. I am Nigerian and I have no apologies for that; I will do my bit to better myself and my community regardless of the challenges.

FYI the excerpt is not Japanese as it is clearly marked Toronto and its purpose is to show you that confusion over social conventions is not a Nigerian phenomenon.

People all over the world do all those cues you outlined especially in conservative communities so to make a post that portrays Nigerians as excessive gossips, tattlers and busybodies is not only cringe worthy , it indicates you have an identity crisis. You may want to dissociate yourself from your heritage but c'mon you don't need to give a dog a bad name before you hang it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by dmcdad: 5:17pm On Sep 09, 2013
daisyella:
that's juz d way it is bro, if u don't want people thinking shez ur gf, den don't hang out with her 2 much
Exactly!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by 190theclown: 5:22pm On Sep 09, 2013
Boll2010: Turn gay n let dem ya nyash.........u wey supose beg seun mak e create section 4 only mak u dy cry di! We talkn money u talkn bit!ches#bit!ches com n go#love com n go

ROTFL grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 09, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Constantly coming up with posts that denigrate Nigerians (of whom you are an offspring) indicates you are the one with the crisis, I am only pointing it out to you in case you are not aware of the frequency of your denigrating posts. I am Nigerian and I have no apologies for that; I will do my bit to better myself and my community regardless of the challenges.

FYI the excerpt is not Japanese as it is clearly marked Toronto and its purpose is to show you that confusion over social conventions is not a Nigerian phenomenon.

People all over the world do all those cues you outlined especially in conservative communities so to make a post that portrays Nigerians as excessive gossips, tattlers and busybodies is not only cringe worthy , it indicates you have an identity crisis. You may want to dissociate yourself from your heritage but c'mon you don't need to give a dog a bad name before you hang it.

Toronto, Japan whatever. If you actually read what you posted you will see that Japanese is his native tongue. Not important . Again, all the bloke is doing is asking a question. And he did use the word "date" so that is a conscious giveaway to anyone who hears that and it disqualifies it from the essence of this thread. Second time pointing this out but for some reason you still keep bringing it up. Quit the pointlessness.

You living in Nigeria, you do not experience certain things from a multi cultural perspective as I do, so certain things are not really obvious to you. The result of my experiences from different cultural types is the content of this thread.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by 190theclown: 5:36pm On Sep 09, 2013
grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 09, 2013
daisyella:

Truss me you don't have to hang out with her 2 much. If they see you, they will talk...

It seems you don't understand the life cycle of rumors or have never been a victim of it. More drama and misconception is introduced the farther down the vine the rumor goes.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by MrsChima(f): 6:09pm On Sep 09, 2013
Lord_Reed: I keep wondering why people make things seem like Nigerians are the most crazy people on planet earth. Here is an excerpt from a website that is not Nigerian where the folk know that a simple lunch date can easily be misunderstood.

This is a Nigerian forum is it not

What better place to air issues or experiences with Nigerians than a Nigerian forum?

2Buffie... don't get your head swole because I ain't done yet.

What you need to do is tell them nosey mofos to mind their business and let them know you are single. Stop hanging around nosey mofos.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Truckpusher(m): 6:15pm On Sep 09, 2013
2buff: Nigerians have this very bad amebo habit of assuming that because they see you having lunch or walking with a girl, that she is your babe.

- cue them Talking in their gossip covens circles about how you both make a good couple.
- cue church members who see you asking when you will marry her.
- cue wannabe-knowitalls putting sand in your garri by telling another girl you're actually interested in that "he already has a girlfriend" when she tries to research you.
- cue them thinking you are a dirty player when they see you again hanging with another girl

...seriously people.
CRAP
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by LordReed(m): 6:29pm On Sep 09, 2013
2buff:

Toronto, Japan whatever. If you actually read what you posted you will see that Japanese is his native tongue. Not important . Again, all the bloke is doing is asking a question. And he did use the word "date" so that is a conscious giveaway to anyone who hears that and it disqualifies it from the essence of this thread. Second time pointing this out but for some reason you still keep bringing it up. Quit the pointlessness.

You living in Nigeria, you do not experience certain things from a multi cultural perspective as I do, so certain things are not really obvious to you. The result of my experiences from different cultural types is the content of this thread.

I have explained its point and relevance to this topic, refute my explanation and stop trying to casually wave it aside. The question the man on the website (if you bothered to read it) posed was if a non romantic date could be misconstrued by outsiders. If that does not dit into this discussion then you are clearly looking for something else.

So we come to another crux, I don't live in the obodo oyinbo so I am ignorant. LoL! When I say something now you'll say I am projecting. Do I need to live abroad before the lifestyle of its people are clear to me? Are you gonna honestly tell me rumor mongering does not occur in the community where you live? C'mon man that would be a story for the birds.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by LordReed(m): 6:33pm On Sep 09, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

What better place to air issues or experiences with Nigerians than a Nigerian forum?

What you need to do is tell them nosey mofos to mind their business and let them know you are single. Stop hanging around nosey mofos.

This topic is not essentially 'Nigerian'. These traits are visible in almost every nation in this world so I will not agree for it to be made a unique Nigerian problem. I think we are intelligent enough to make such distinctions.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Nobody: 6:36pm On Sep 09, 2013
Lord_Reed:

This topic is not essentially 'Nigerian'. These traits are visible in almost every nation in this world so I will not agree for it to be made a unique Nigerian problem. I we are intelligent enough to make such distinctions.

Perhaps not. But again, this is my experience, and thus, opinion on the matter. News too dey travel within naija community vines.
Also, of all the churches I've been to here, it is only the nigerian churches that have these people who feel your marital status is something they always need to bring up. Admit whatever you want, but nigerians are nosey by culture. Period.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Sep 09, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

You dont have to hang around them... They hang around you.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 09, 2013
Uch74: [color=#006600][/color]you've said it all! I am actually a victim of these for years now, even when I haven't been dating anyone...........I guess, looks also encourage these insinuations and rumours....no way an ugly dude's gonna be drawn into these sh*t...........

lol I guess that's why some people find it hard to get what I'm talking about.
I hate to sound vain, but it's typically a "fyne-boi" problem...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by Popowaa: 8:50pm On Sep 09, 2013
Just imagine a married man decides to treat a co worker to sm lunch and sm gossip who knw the wife will call her and tell the wife she saw the husband cheating on her.
Africans as a whole,it's does not only happen to the men but women as well and the woman's own is even worse she is term as a "prostitute".

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by MrsChima(f): 6:25am On Sep 10, 2013
Lord_Reed:

This topic is not essentially 'Nigerian'. These traits are visible in almost every nation in this world so I will not agree for it to be made a unique Nigerian problem. I think we are intelligent enough to make such distinctions.

But he is complaining about his experiences with nosy azz Nigerians so it's all Nigerian.

We can't change his experience whether you think it's intelligent or not.

The facts remaibs that he is dealing with nosy azz Nigerians and need to change his circle.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Assume She Is Your Girl? by LordReed(m): 7:01am On Sep 10, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

But he is complaining about his experiences with nosy azz Nigerians so it's all Nigerian.

We can't change his experience whether you think it's intelligent or not.

The facts remaibs that he is dealing with nosy azz Nigerians and need to change his circle.

His OP doesn't say "I had a nasty rumormongering experience with Nigerians" he speaks in very general terms as though all Nigerians would immediately default to gossiping also he speaks as if it is uniquely Nigerian, cue his post "Nigerians are culturally nosey". That should tell you this is not about his experience this about him trying to be 'not Nigerian'.

(1) (2) (Reply)

* / can You Exchange Phone With Your Partner? / How A Girl In My Neigbourhood Almost Put Me In Jail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.