Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

How To Become An Atheist - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How To Become An Atheist (23022 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:59pm On Oct 29, 2013
david_hume:

Yeah, you've made your point, a logical response is beyond you!

Good day sir!

You need new glasses. cool
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:51pm On Oct 29, 2013
Imagine a place on the earth that never saw the sun. Day in, day out, it is covered with thick clouds. From the time a person was born until the time he died he never saw even a glimpse of the sun. Suppose you visited this place and tried to convince the inhabitants of the reality, the beauty, and the power of the sun. "Where I come from," you say, "a huge yellow ball rises up over the sea each day and floats across the sky, no strings attached, giving warmth and light to those upon the earth. The reason you don’t experience it is because you are cut off from it by the clouds." Although the thought may seem fantastic to those people, the fact that they don’t believe in it does not change the reality that it exists.

1 Like

Re: How To Become An Atheist by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 29, 2013
There is no reason for us to become an atheist because we were all born one until adults started the indoctrination.

1 Like

Re: How To Become An Atheist by Kay17: 8:18pm On Oct 29, 2013
Olaadegbu

From what you said, the suffering and evils we experience today are punishment from God, but it is all humans irrespective of their stations and stages in life that suffer, and one wonders who is God really punishing?!
Re: How To Become An Atheist by davidhume1: 8:53pm On Oct 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

You could only read "God is Nothing" because of the atheist evolutionist glasses you use in viewing the evidence around you but those who put on biblical creationist glasses would read "God is no thing." Do you now see why I said that you need to change your glasses so as to see clearly?

This is just hilarious!
So, If God is NO thing, then what IS God?
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:59am On Oct 30, 2013
enitan2002:

There is no reason for us to become an atheist because we were all born one until adults started the indoctrination.

It is too late for you to become an atheist, they only exist in your mind.
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:06pm On Oct 30, 2013
Kay 17: Olaadegbu

From what you said, the suffering and evils we experience today are punishment from God, but it is all humans irrespective of their stations and stages in life that suffer, and one wonders who is God really punishing?!

Let me put it to you in yet another perspective. If you were to place a dried out leaf into the presence of fire, you would notice that the fire would not hesitate to consume the leaf in a matter of seconds. The fire must consume the leaf because of its very nature. Even if the fire didn't want to dispose of the leaf, it wouldn't matter, it still must consume it because their natures are diametrically opposed one to the other.

As in Hebrews 12:29 describes God as a consuming fire. By His very nature, God must consume anything and everything that opposes His nature. We must put on the Lord Jesus Christ, or we will be consumed by the ever pure burning holiness of the King of Kings.

"For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God" (Deut.4:24) The Evidence Bible.
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:09pm On Oct 30, 2013
david_hume:

This is just hilarious!
So, If God is NO thing, then what IS God?

God is not a thing. He is a Spirit that is not bound by natural laws. God is a Spirit and not a sequence of energetic reactions. The laws of thermodynamics does not apply to God.
Re: How To Become An Atheist by Kay17: 4:13pm On Oct 30, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Let me put it to you in yet another perspective. If you were to place a dried out leaf into the presence of fire, you would notice that the fire would not hesitate to consume the leaf in a matter of seconds. The fire must consume the leaf because of its very nature. Even if the fire didn't want to dispose of the leaf, it wouldn't matter, it still must consume it because their natures are diametrically opposed one to the other.

As in Hebrews 12:29 describes God as a consuming fire. By His very nature, God must consume anything and everything that opposes His nature. We must put on the Lord Jesus Christ, or we will be consumed by the ever pure burning holiness of the King of Kings.

"For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God" (Deut.4:24) The Evidence Bible.

Does that include rape victims? Poor children? Aborted foetus? Orphans? Widows? Is God's consuming fire deservedly on these victims? Are they responsible for their misfortunes and God's raging fire?!
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:57pm On Oct 30, 2013
Kay 17:

Does that include rape victims? Poor children? Aborted foetus? Orphans? Widows? Is God's consuming fire deservedly on these victims? Are they responsible for their misfortunes and God's raging fire?!

Do you want Him to start judging murderers and rapists now? If God judged evil today, all sinners would perish under His wrath. Thank God that He is patiently waiting for all thieves, liars, adulterers, fornicators, those who lust and those who hate to turn to the Saviour in repentance and be saved from His terrible wrath.

"The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9) The Evidence Bible.
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:21pm On Oct 30, 2013
"For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil" (1 Peter 3:12 The Evidence Bible)

In Dr. Robert Morey’s book The New Atheism and the Erosion of Freedom, he talks with an atheist about this issue. The atheist assumes that everything is relative, and there are no absolutes (he is absolutely sure of that). Morey replies that the first thing an atheist must do is prove the existence of evil. By what process can an atheist identify evil? He must have a universal absolute to do so. Without an absolute reference point for "good" (which only God can provide), no one can identify what is good or evil. Thus without the existence of God, there is no "evil" or "good" in an absolute sense. Everything is relative. The problem of evil does not negate the existence of God. It actually requires it.

Many assume that because evil still exists today, God has not dealt with it. How can atheists assume that God has not already solved the problem of evil in such a way that neither His goodness nor omnipotence is limited? On what grounds do they limit what God can and cannot do to solve the problem? God has already solved the problem of evil. And He did it in a way in which He did not contradict His nature or the nature of man. We assume God will solve the problem of evil in one single act. But why can’t He deal with evil in a progressive way? Can’t He deal with it throughout time as we know it, and then bring it to the climax on the Day of Judgment?

God sent His Son to die on the cross in order to solve the problem of evil. Christ atoned for evil and secured the eventual removal of all evil from the earth. One day evil will be quarantined in one spot called "hell." Then there will be a perfect world devoid of all evil. If God declared that all evil would, at this moment, cease to exist, you and I and all of humanity would go up in a puff of smoke. Divine judgment demands that sin be punished.

Source
Re: How To Become An Atheist by Kay17: 7:24pm On Oct 30, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Do you want Him to start judging murderers and rapists now? If God judged evil today, all sinners would perish under His wrath. Thank God that He is patiently waiting for all thieves, liars, adulterers, fornicators, those who lust and those who hate to turn to the Saviour in repentance and be saved from His terrible wrath.

"The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9) The Evidence Bible.

This is a roundabout effect, God punishes man through evil, evil becomes a tool in God's hands against us. It is contrary to God's intentions and obvious actions to claim rapists and murderers and thieves act independently of their will, rather than mere puppets in God's grand scheme.

How is it possible for God to separate himself from his actions?

Wouldn't I further God's will by poisoning the world?
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:31pm On Oct 30, 2013
Kay 17:

This is a roundabout effect, God punishes man through evil, evil becomes a tool in God's hands against us. It is contrary to God's intentions and obvious actions to claim rapists and murderers and thieves act independently of their will, rather than mere puppets in God's grand scheme.

How is it possible for God to separate himself from his actions?

Wouldn't I further God's will by poisoning the world?

On what basis do you judge God? I thought you atheist assert that everything is relative, and there are no absolutes. Does evil exist?
Re: How To Become An Atheist by Kay17: 8:11pm On Oct 30, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

On what basis do you judge God? I thought you atheist assert that everything is relative, and there are no absolutes. Does evil exist?

Olaadegbu

It is clear you believe God exists

That God is loving and caring

That God is good. These form the basis of your worldview which I immerse myself into and probe for consistency. In so far as you judge God for being good, I can likewise do otherwise. Note that Good/Evil are taken as you define them.
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:30pm On Oct 30, 2013
Kay 17:

Olaadegbu

It is clear you believe God exists

That God is loving and caring

That God is good. These form the basis of your worldview which I immerse myself into and probe for consistency. In so far as you judge God for being good, I can likewise do otherwise. Note that Good/Evil are taken as you define them.

Does evil exist in your worldview? If yes, what constitutes as evil? Rape? Murder? Stealing? Or are you admitting that there is no good or evil in an absolute sense?
Re: How To Become An Atheist by Lordlexyy: 9:20pm On Oct 30, 2013
Ola, as usual, may you remain bless for all eternity for your constant effort in bringing light and truth to the other wise blind ppl. One thing is certain and that is, these overwhelming evidences will stand against them on the day of judgement. And also thank you for the bible quotation in 1cor 2 that was an eye opener and the instance you gave btw the little boy and chocolate to explain the effect of sin and suffering in your other post is legendary. The wisdom of God indeed resident in you.
Re: How To Become An Atheist by Kay17: 6:27am On Oct 31, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Does evil exist in your worldview? If yes, what constitutes as evil? Rape? Murder? Stealing? Or are you admitting that there is no good or evil in an absolute sense?

We will get to that, for now; clarify your position/worldview.

For today, I'm not an atheist, but a potential convert trying to make up her mind.
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:53pm On Oct 31, 2013
Here's how to get rid of the offense of God’s moral Law.

Simply call

Adultery an "affair,"

Covetousness (greed) "gaming,"

Brothels "gentlemen's clubs,"

Call lies "white,"

call murder "a choice,"

and homosexuality "gay."

Humanity may try and soften the Ten Commandments, but they were written in hard stone for a reason. They are permanent, and they will judge humanity on Judgment Day.

There is, however, another way to deal with the problem of the immutable Law. When a certain woman was caught in the act of adultery certain religious hypocrites wanted to stone her according to the moral Law. They threw her at the feet of Jesus and asked what He thought they should do. He had a suggestion.

He said:

"He that is without sin, let him cast the first stone at her,"

Then He bent down and wrote in the sand with His finger. No one knows exactly what He wrote, but some believe He wrote The Ten Commandments. There’s a reason for that. When God gave the Commandments to Moses, He wrote them in stone with His finger. Also, the function of the Law is to bring knowledge of sin (see Romans 3:19,20, 7:7, 7:13), and stir the human conscience. Those who saw what Jesus wrote were convicted in their conscience and they dropped their stones and one by one, left.

However. there’s one big difference in this case between the Law written in stone and the Law written in sand. Sand doesn’t speak of permanency. Because of the cross, upon repentance and faith in Jesus, our sins--in a moment of time, are washed away into the sea of God’s forgetfulness.
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:16pm On Oct 31, 2013
Evolution vs God

"I was a good person as a Christian. Now that I'm Atheist, I'm still a good person. Religious beliefs don't make a person bad."

Ray Answers: It’s clear that you had no knowledge of God’s holiness and in the light of that, your own sinfulness. You were in the dark about your own moral standing before your morally perfect Creator. I was the same before I looked at the Ten Commandments in depth. Without that knowledge there is no way any of us can become a Christian, and so you had a false conversion. But you are not alone. This site is a graveyard of false converts who heard a false gospel that doesn't open up the moral Law and preach repentance and faith alone in Jesus. God was instead painted as a divine butler, and when He didn't come running at the click of their fingers, they became disillusioned. Please, take a few moments to check out www.needGod.com. It will show you what was is missing in what you heard and why you are in great danger.
Re: How To Become An Atheist by Kay17: 8:19pm On Oct 31, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Here's how to get rid of the offense of God’s moral Law.

Simply call

Adultery an "affair,"

Covetousness (greed) "gaming,"

Brothels "gentlemen's clubs,"

Call lies "white,"

call murder "a choice,"

and homosexuality "gay."

Humanity may try and soften the Ten Commandments, but they were written in hard stone for a reason. They are permanent, and they will judge humanity on Judgment Day.

There is, however, another way to deal with the problem of the immutable Law. When a certain woman was caught in the act of adultery certain religious hypocrites wanted to stone her according to the moral Law. They threw her at the feet of Jesus and asked what He thought they should do. He had a suggestion.

He said:

"He that is without sin, let him cast the first stone at her,"

Then He bent down and wrote in the sand with His finger. No one knows exactly what He wrote, but some believe He wrote The Ten Commandments. There’s a reason for that. When God gave the Commandments to Moses, He wrote them in stone with His finger. Also, the function of the Law is to bring knowledge of sin (see Romans 3:19,20, 7:7, 7:13), and stir the human conscience. Those who saw what Jesus wrote were convicted in their conscience and they dropped their stones and one by one, left.

However. there’s one big difference in this case between the Law written in stone and the Law written in sand. Sand doesn’t speak of permanency. Because of the cross, upon repentance and faith in Jesus, our sins--in a moment of time, are washed away into the sea of God’s forgetfulness.

But there is no Hope in what you have said before the innocents suffer, we all suffer! And we ask why why why! What does any law have to do with aborted babies?! What does that have to do with stillborn babies? Or mentally impaired people?! How do you provide meaning for our sufferings?!
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:27pm On Oct 31, 2013
"Why does God allow evil men and women to live?"

OLAADEGBU:

Re: How To Become An Atheist by Kay17: 8:42pm On Oct 31, 2013
OLAADEGBU: "Why does God allow evil men and women to live?"

Nooo that's not my question, my question is why do we suffer?!
Re: How To Become An Atheist by Joshthefirst(m): 9:56pm On Oct 31, 2013
Kay 17:

sin, not necessarily your sin, but sin all the same. God has promised a world without sin and death where righteousness and life and peace will prevail.
Re: How To Become An Atheist by Kay17: 11:30am On Nov 01, 2013
Joshthefirst: sin, not necessarily your sin, but sin all the same. God has promised a world without sin and death where righteousness and life and peace will prevail.

This does not answer the question because Injustice itself is an evil and suffering. We suffer from the sins of others, and we are not fairly dealt with, we don't get rightly compensated for the wrongs done against us, we don't get rewarded for the good we have done; hence our sins are different from Evil/Suffering.

Evil/suffering can not be a consequence of Sin.
Re: How To Become An Atheist by davidhume1: 8:33am On Nov 03, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

God is not a thing. He is a Spirit that is not bound by natural laws. God is a Spirit and not a sequence of energetic reactions. The laws of thermodynamics does not apply to God.

Dictionary.com
thing:
anything that is or may become an object of thought: things of the spirit.

So, you can see that a spirit is also a thing. Perhaps you should check the dictionary before getting your words twisted grin
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:47pm On Nov 03, 2013
Kay 17:

Here is the reason why....

Re: How To Become An Atheist by Kay17: 6:55pm On Nov 03, 2013
The caption is "the wages of sin is death"
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:59pm On Nov 03, 2013
david_hume:

Dictionary.com
thing:
anything that is or may become an object of thought: things of the spirit.

So, you can see that a spirit is also a thing. Perhaps you should check the dictionary before getting your words twisted grin

Foul! God has no beginning and has no end. He is the beginning and the end. The fact that you misunderstand the nature of God is the main bane of the atheists wannabes. You erroneously think that God is bound by the universe and that He is part of the chain effects within time, all of which require a cause. The truth is that God doesn't require a cause since He has always existed. God is beyond time and is not part of the universe. God is not a thing.
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:02pm On Nov 03, 2013
Kay 17:

The caption is "the wages of sin is death"

We have Mr. Adam to thank for that. wink

Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:26pm On Nov 03, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

An atheist wrote: "Strong circumstantial evidence that there is no god. Number of god's creations who died horrible deaths from the following diseases: (or did they all die as martyrs?)

1. 300,000,000 approx. Smallpox
2. 200,000,000? Measles
3. 100,000,000 approx. Black Death
4. 80,000,000-250,000,000 Malaria
5. 50,000,000-100,000,000 Spanish Flu
6. 40,000,000-100,000,000 Plague of Justinian
7. 40,000,000-100,000,000 Tuberculosis
8. 30,000,000[13] AIDS pandemic
9. 12,000,000 ? Third Pandemic of Bubonic Plague
10. 5,000,000 Antonine Plague
11. 4,000,000 Asian Flu
12. 250,000 or more annually Seasonal influenza."

Ray replied: The number of people who are now living that will eventually die. Every one of the seven billion. That's more than strong circumstantial evidence that God means what He says is His Word: "The souls that sins, it shall die," "It is appointed to man once to die. After this, the Judgment." Pain, suffering, disease and death are stark proofs that the Bible is the Word of God when it says we live in a "fallen" creation.

Watch "Evolution Vs God" Free -> www.EvolutionVsGod.com
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:33pm On Nov 03, 2013
enitan2002:

In a New Scientist article on a book entitled "Just Babies: The origin of good and evil" we read:

"Morality, or its roots, appears to come so evolutionarily hardwired that mere babes can tell good from bad. This is the core of Paul Bloom's book, Just Babies. Bloom, who is the Brooks and Suzanne Ragen Professor of Psychology at Yale University, decries the notion that humans are born moral blank slates, proposing that "we possess an innate and universal morality""

Actually, this is just another evidence that confirms God's Word where we find the true explanation of what is observed:

"...who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness...." (Romans 2:14–15)

"...because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them...." (Romans 1:19)

Sadly, those who reject God’s Word try to find an evolutionary explanation for everything they observe.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22029401.100-babies-know-good-from-evil--is-this-morality.html#.UnaXsvnBqmT
Re: How To Become An Atheist by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:11pm On Nov 03, 2013
"Only non-believers don't believe in sin, so we don't sin." Bjarte Bjørkum

Ray answers: Sin is transgression of God's Law. It's the Bible word for lying, stealing, lusting, hatred, murder, adultery, etc. So I have a problem with your assertion that atheists don’t lie, steal or lust. I have spoken to thousands of atheists and I don’t recall even one of them saying that he hadn't broken some, if not all of the Commandments. If you disagree, take the test. Go through each of the Commandments (with a tender conscience) listed on www.NeedGod.com and see how you do.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

Mbaka: Buhari Working With Those Who Will Pull Him Down / 6 Types Of Members You Find In The Church / Apostle Suleman Clashes With Kennedy Achee, A Cameroonian Over Refugees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.