Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,145 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering (59671 Views)

Engineering Vs Medicine, Which Is More Expensive To Study / Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by lastmessenger: 1:46pm On Sep 17, 2013
akereconfi: Thank God o...my sis was admitted for Chemical Engineering in Brescia Uni Kentucky instead of the Aeronautics she asked for.....
aeronautics is not a bad course.u are a high class engr if u study it
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by another1234(m): 1:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
u ar rite bro petroleum engnr ocupies 60% in oil company.i represent petroleum engr.newly admited in uniben
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Tats(m): 1:53pm On Sep 17, 2013
penzino: Bro, its good u applied for chemical engineering. Chemical engineering is like a parent course where petroleum, biomedical, reservoir, environmental and genetic engineering all fall under... Study ur chemical engineering and then in ur 2nd degree u could just choose a field under the entire chemical engineering... All the best, I studied chemical engine but I wan do petroleum econs for masters. All za best bro.

Chemical Engineering is not a parent course for all those courses you mentioned. I'm not aware where you got your facts from. Firstly, Reservoir engineering is a sub-area of petroleum engineering. Petroleum Engineering is primarily sub-surface and concerned with getting the crude oil and gas to the surface where it is then sent for processing or export and it is in processing that the chemical Engineers come into play in the oil and gas sector (Refineries, LNG plants, processing plants, etc).

While Petroleum Engineering is more streamlined to a specific industry - Oil & Gas, chemical engineering is broader and its graduates can work in many industries. You may narrow your future possibilities if you study petroleum engineering but it could well pay off if it goes right and whereas, You can still work in some other jobs if you make a Second Class Upper or a 1st. I studied Petroleum Engineering and made a 2:1 but got employed in Consulting (focused on IT) right after graduation some time ago and have never looked back and have no regrets especially as I mostly work in top Oil & Gas companies here and did back in Nigeria in consulting roles. Nearly all my classmates who made 2:1 or 1st and even many with 2:2 work as PEs in Oil & Gas or Service companies. Some went on to do masters overseas and got good jobs there and even back home.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Sodiq3(m): 1:54pm On Sep 17, 2013
Hey pals,am studying Hausa language in one of nigeria prestigious federal university.so i want to ask if i have any prospect in the oil and gas industry..what if i go for master in islamic religious study,hope that would give me an edge over the engineering graduates?reply asap..
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Tats(m): 1:57pm On Sep 17, 2013
Sodiq3: Hey pals,am studying Hausa language in one of nigeria prestigious federal university.so i want to ask if i have any prospect in the oil and gas industry..what if i go for master in islamic religious study,hope that would give me an edge over the engineering graduates?reply asap..

You could well be useful for language translation if Nigeria continues with prospecting for oil & gas in Chad basin! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Stanley4E(m): 2:02pm On Sep 17, 2013
am a chemical engineering student currently doing my industrial training in an oil servicing firm surrounded by mostly mechanical n electrical engineers. if there is one thing i've observed and learned in d oil n gas sector it is accepting d fact that the whole conception of engineering is one and how important having lots of certification after ur first degree could boost ur chances in getting job offers.

proud to be a chem Engr most broadest engineering discipline so far. wink
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
when it reacts it is chemical! when it moves it is mechanical! etc buh what of petroleum? when it does what? my guy na chemical I dey, u r welcome to the greatest department!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by lillies: 2:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
W

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by henryboff(m): 2:16pm On Sep 17, 2013
Based on the little information I have, petroleum engineering deals with the processes and operations that are carried out to bring oil or gas from the reservoir to the surface. Typical aspects of petroleum engineering are drilling, reservoir studies, well operations, seismic studies etc. In some universities petroleum engineering is studied under earth sciences.
Chemical engineering on the other hand deals with what happens to the oil and gas from the point it is extracted from the reservoir to the point it is used. Typical aspects of chemical engineering are processing of oil or gas to sales specifcation, refining of oil to produce petrol and other products (plastics etc), gas to liquid processes (GTL), natural gas liquifaction (LNG) production, pipeline transport of oil or gas and other such issues. Chemical engineering is not restricted to the oil and gas industry.
In my opinion with regards to job prospects, chemical engineering gives an individual the opportunity to work with a wider range of industries than petroleum engineering.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Lamasta(m): 2:22pm On Sep 17, 2013
Chemical Eng is da Bomb but for you to succed in the field you must have wider knowledge in Chemistry
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Fernandinho: 2:26pm On Sep 17, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: [size=30pt]"Those days when we bin dey study Petroleum Engineering, we bin dey happy say as we gradj we go enter oil company...my brother, as we gradj, even groundnut oil company, we no see...na that time we come discover our talent" - Okey Bakassi[/size]

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha......KAi!!! I don laff out my intestine here
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 2:31pm On Sep 17, 2013
PortHarcourtBoy: [size=30pt]"Those days when we bin dey study Petroleum Engineering, we bin dey happy say as we gradj we go enter oil company...my brother, as we gradj, even groundnut oil company, we no see...na that time we come discover our talent" - Okey Bakassi[/size]
What I find funniest about this post is that it's 100percent true cheesy
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Boladearo(m): 2:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
Hmmmmm,
I love maths, and am gud in it, ppl advise me not to go for industrial maths, pure maths, and applied maths. My parents want me to go for Medicine and am nt dat gud in biology. Right nw i don't know wat to do. But one of my mentors advise me to go for computer science. Wat is ur opinion, considerin d lack of employement in the country
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Fernandinho: 2:54pm On Sep 17, 2013
ojtopsy: I'm a civil structural engineer and i can tell u that in oil servicing co. we hold the ace. no one gets job easily than us. But mech. is a great course sha cos they come next. i use to envy chemical and elect course until we graduated. Come see fk up for em especially chemical guys, it was a sorry tale. when the are taking 15 -20 civil eng. they'll manage to employ 2 chem. guys. Thats how it is in the oil servicing side but for the IOC proper anyone with a foreign MSc is their choice. not minding your first degree.

Summarry : be prepared to go for your MSc b4 NYSC if you are seriuos about working for the IOC( chevron,Exxon etc)

It's not always true..Infact, d pple i know dat got into IOC did not have dia MSc wen dey got in and they still don't have one..and they got in through merit(normal recruitment process)
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by beewhyfocs(m): 3:09pm On Sep 17, 2013
Generally, engineering disciplines are more of mathematics inclination than most people think before they venture into the study. Broaden your mathematical skills. If you did not take further mathematics in secondary school, then that should be your first point of call. All engineering disciplines have good prospects. Mark the word " good prospects". Albeit, your final grade in school will determine how much of that prospect you will enjoy!

I will encourage you to follow your heart and know what you want. If you study chemical engineering, let it be based on your passion and flair for the subject. Same applies to Petroleum engineering. Prospects come with good grades and God's favour, in addition to keeping abreast of facts.

There are engineering design companies, which are not necessarily the well known IOCs, that hire most engineering disciplines. They pay well and the engineering experience in those places can be so fulfilling. However, getting opportunity in such places means you will have to compete with the best in the country. So strive to master your course of study.

Mark my words, even if you studied Physics, with good grades you may work as a reservoir engineer, instrumentation engineer, just to mention a few.

Back to your question, I will advice you study Chemical Engineering at first degree. When are you are done, you will know if you will continue as a process engineer or simply go for MSc in Petroleum Engineering.

Caveat: I had my first degree in Mechanical Engineering, and I work as Mechanical Engineer. Its the best choice I made. Thanks to my elder brother for his counsel back then. I wanted Chemical or Petroleum engineering but he advised I go for Mechanical Engineering. Now I reap the benefits!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Shaw007(m): 3:22pm On Sep 17, 2013
Wonderful thread!!!
But when it comes down to it, i really wanna know

Geology/geophysics Vs Petroleum engineering Vs chemical engineering

#Geologystudent
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by beewhyfocs(m): 3:25pm On Sep 17, 2013
Boladearo: Hmmmmm,
I love maths, and am gud in it, ppl advise me not to go for industrial maths, pure maths, and applied maths. My parents want me to go for Medicine and am nt dat gud in biology. Right nw i don't know wat to do. But one of my mentors advise me to go for computer science. Wat is ur opinion, considerin d lack of employement in the country

My advice is that if your flair is in Mathematics, and you like physics and technical stuff then go for engineering. Mechanical or electrical engineering is great. Note that the kind of mathematics they do in industrial maths or mathematics dept from 200L may become boring if you don't force yourself to appreciate it.

Computer is fine, but these days with everyone learning things online nowadays it may not be so necessary (My opinion though, confirm from computer professionals to make your informed choice).
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 3:43pm On Sep 17, 2013
Capableben: Yes it this question has always troubled my mind. Eventhough i applied for chemical engineering, i'm still curious to know the apparent differences between the duo. I know they are so much related but i wana know your views guys. Secondly, i also want to know which one amongst the two has better job prospects after school with refernce to the Nigerian labour market. *Nagode*

what makes you think they are related?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 3:44pm On Sep 17, 2013
Jxt_mayor: Two different field entirely.. Pet engine deals wit oil nd gas sector while chem engine deals wt chemical. The onli tin common to both is dat they ar both taught refinin process.. Chem engine is very broad with evry tin between. In terms of job, chem engine wins it..

lol, you are kidding right?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by cordss(m): 3:46pm On Sep 17, 2013
primus_maximus:
Seriously? I don't think you should refer to any course as easy especially if you didn't study it

am running some programs now in petroleum engineering, reservoir analysis and simulation to be precise (which is the ZENITH in petroleum engineering).................am actually saying from experience............petroleum engineering is easier to study than chemical engineering..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by cordss(m): 3:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
@lillies you killed it my dear...... cool
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 3:53pm On Sep 17, 2013
primus_maximus: When it comes to getting jobs, I'll advice you anyday to go for chemical engineering... I agree that petroleum departments in oil companies pay the highest but at d end of d day at least half of the staff workin in these petroleum departments studied Mech, chemical or geology.. Petroleum engineering is highly restricted, the only place you can fully use your degree is in 'some areas' of the oil industry, whereas chem, Mech and Elect can work almost anywhere ... I'm a Petroleum Engineering graduate so I know what I'm saying. If I could go back in time I'll have studied Mechanical

mechanical and Elect Engineering leads in the engineering world due to advancement in technology and use of equipments however, in the oil and gas industry, some key skills are as essential as the degree you have, such technical skills will give you an edge.
instead of wasting time brooding over your lost milk, have you thought about getting key oil and gas skills which most chemical engineers don't have?

My advise to you, save money, and go to a MUD school abroad, you may not bother with MSc, but if you have the technical competence certificate in Mud engineering, it will be difficult for you to earn less than $250 daily. Ask around!!

this is one out of so many skills that will make you outstanding with your Pet. background.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 3:58pm On Sep 17, 2013
Mr Calculus: den wat can industrial mathematics b use for??

lecturer in the waiting
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by peter1994(m): 3:59pm On Sep 17, 2013
pls i'm currently holding a 4.8/5.0 in chemical Engrn, I have cut all social n extra curicular activities in order to face my G.P.
Please do u think it's worth it? I would really appreciate if someone dat did the same thing (or knw sm1 dat used d strategy) can tell me d effect it has after gradtn (or better still if it has no effect) tnx
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 4:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
kika41: Any,I think if u hav a 1st class in petroleum engr,u wuldnt struggle for. Job..petRoleum engineering ocupies 60% oof the oil and gas industry

i dont agree with you, mech and electrical
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 4:01pm On Sep 17, 2013
primus_maximus:
lol.... 1stly Petroleum Engineering Jobs(reservoir, drilling, production, core analysis and well logging) take up about 40-50 percent of the oil industry but these jobs are not for petroleum engineers alone, they share this Jobs with departments like Mechanical, chemical, geology, geophysics and even electrical in the case of well logging for example... also the oil industry recycle staff a lot as no one wants to leave that's why its extremely difficult to get in.. 2ndly 1st class in petroleum doesn't guarantee anything, the competition is just toooo stiff.. Oil companies value experience way more than 1st class/Masters. I know too many 1st class petroleum graduates working in accounting firms or even still searching for Jobs, If not for God I'll have ended up in an accounting firm too, was to even resume in one earlier this month... funny thing is there are more 2.1 graduates than 1st class in the oil industry

excellent!!!

3 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 4:09pm On Sep 17, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Chemical Engineering is about chemicals. Petroleum Engineering is about oil & gas. Both teach refining process.
Last Bullet:
In Nigeria, petroleum engineering has the higher job prospect. In developed parts of the word chemical engineering has the higher job prospect.

who sold you this nonsense you are writing? chemical engineers are process engineers, if you read Maximus post, he made some valid points you should learn from.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by AK481(m): 4:12pm On Sep 17, 2013
great.david:
But out of all the engineering departments,which one is the best in terms of job prospect in nigeria labour market...is it chemical,mechanical,electrical,petrochemical or what?

ELECTRICAL
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by ojtopsy: 4:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
Fernandinho:

It's not always true..Infact, d pple i know dat got into IOC did not have dia MSc wen dey got in and they still don't have one..and they got in through merit(normal recruitment process)

You are not getting da point. U stand a beta chance with MSc. im not talking of anyhow MSc but oil and gas specific MSc irrespective of whether u did chem or pet eng. as undergrad.. go ask ur so called friends inside d IOC they'll tell u the prestige and power guys with Msc wield. im not a fresh grad. so when i talk u listen. Its not everyone dat gets to heaven that will wear crown. learn to read btw da lines.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Jabia(m): 4:18pm On Sep 17, 2013
As one with a Diploma in Petroleum Engineering i'd advice you to go for Chemical Engineering instead. Much better prospects and trust me, the pay is same, sometimes better even. There's NO Petroleum Engineering department in any Major Oil firm, there's a Process department which is ususally governed by chemical engineers.
Hope this helps!
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 4:24pm On Sep 17, 2013
Ogui eke: ur advice is great i like it. but as for engineering courses:CIVIL ENGINEERING IS D BEST IN D NIGERIAN JOB MARKET. am a civil/structural engineer, i know what am saying.

if your civil doesn't cover competence in advanced structural and hydrographic designs (forgive my spelling), well, i cant say exactly how it will be different from the conventional civil we all know, the subsea part of civil is incredible but i doubt if it is offered in Nigeria, most of them that i know are foreigners, can you tell us more on that aspect?

2 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by sugardaddy1(m): 4:26pm On Sep 17, 2013
ojtopsy: I'm a civil structural engineer and i can tell u that in oil servicing co. we hold the ace. no one gets job easily than us. But mech. is a great course sha cos they come next. i use to envy chemical and elect course until we graduated. Come see fk up for em especially chemical guys, it was a sorry tale. when the are taking 15 -20 civil eng. they'll manage to employ 2 chem. guys. Thats how it is in the oil servicing side but for the IOC proper anyone with a foreign MSc is their choice. not minding your first degree.

Summarry : be prepared to go for your MSc b4 NYSC if you are seriuos about working for the IOC( chevron,Exxon etc)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Buys N1500 Pencil In Ikoyi Lagos, Shares Photo / 10 Departments In The University Which Girls Admire Their Guys / Student Caught With 'Expo' In Glass Case In Exam Hall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.