Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:54 PM

Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering (59513 Views)

Engineering Vs Medicine, Which Is More Expensive To Study / Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 3:56pm On Sep 18, 2013
@9ijaMan

Chief,
I didn't know this happens to be an English tutoring class. I suppose each individual has got his own way of viewing issues and we need not resort to implied insults.
In any case, FPSOs are built mainly to store crude side by side while producing and do some bit of processing. You can drill and complete an offshore well without the need for an offshore platform nor the need for an FPSO. I was part of the team that drilled a good number of the wells in the fields you mentioned (Akpo - Total, Bonga - SnepCo, Erha - Exxon and some others). I repeat, and stand very much to be corrected, FPSOs are classified under the Midstream sector of the industry. The internet is awash with the right info if you care to learn more.

I like the part where you said you stand to be corrected on some of this issues, learn also to appreciate a few corrections you are given.
insisting that FPSO's don't produce or bring crude to the surface is something that is not worth discussing on my time.
if you admit it does produce, then kindly edit your former post where you said it is for storage only, you never can tell who might be reading it.

you claimed it only stores and i told you that it does produce and process, haven said that, as a professional driller, there are some statements that i will gladly ignore not to spite you but as someone who understands to a great extent what you do and where your operations end, it may elude wisdom to argue production with you so i rather give up at this verge.

you may be part of the team who drilled 44 wells in OML 130 does not necessarily mean you know anything about the FPSO there, so we can skip the "i was there" part.
just to let you know, the 44 wells you drilled at OML 130 is now doing 180,000boepd with storage capacity of 2mbbls.

this is your statement in question;

FPSOs are meant for storage, hence outside the upstream sector, but not necessarily in the downstream sector.

On the issue of old Unis, you are essentially saying the same thing I've said all along. Perhaps you should return back and read some of my previous posts.

The reason, I'm here is simply to share experience with the up-coming ones and not to engage in a shouting match with anyone

we are not saying the same thing about Old Uni's, i explained a phenomenon you have noticed but you misconstrued that phenomenon believing it has something to do with employment which i still insist it doesn't.
Any industry expert, consultant, Hro, etc can go to any school and lecture, there is no industry guideline on which school to visit and what to tell them, therefore it has no bearing with the chances of those schools on employment.
A HR manager in a standard company cannot hire people from his Alma matter alone, it is a short cut to kiss his job good bye.

please, no body is engaging you in any shouting match, whatever your intents are, you owe it to your audience to put things in the right perspective.

by the way, why do you start your response with "chief"?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by eniolashola47: 5:05pm On Sep 18, 2013
Stanley4E: am a chemical engineering student currently doing my industrial training in an oil servicing firm surrounded by mostly mechanical n electrical engineers. if there is one thing i've observed and learned in d oil n gas sector it is accepting d fact that the whole conception of engineering is one and how important having lots of certification after ur first degree could boost ur chances in getting job offers.

proud to be a chem Engr most broadest engineering discipline so far. wink
pls how did u get in to do ur IT there cos i also want to do mine as well there and for the certification am a mechanical student which one do i need to have ?pls

2 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by femishow2005(m): 6:15pm On Sep 18, 2013
@ 9ijaman, jpphilips et al.. pls kindly mention some kind of certifications or professional course will you recommend for a fresh graduate in petroleum engineering can embark on in order to boost himself in this competitive market. thanks
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by deepwater(f): 6:15pm On Sep 18, 2013
Double post
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 8:04pm On Sep 18, 2013
femishow2005: @ 9ijaman, jpphilips et al.. pls kindly mention some kind of certifications or professional course will you recommend for a fresh graduate in petroleum engineering can embark on in order to boost himself in this competitive market. thanks

mud engineering ,solid waste/ cuttings control, ultra filtration, HYSYS, NACE, API, safety control systems, fire and gas systems,flare systems, fuel gas systems, etc

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by cheapgadgets6: 9:36pm On Sep 18, 2013
Tats:

I'm not trying to tackle you.

Well, I usually don't need to send really shortened text messages as I get unlimited text messages once I pay my monthly fee. So, I can send as many as I want. For international, I mostly make calls home and don't text that much. At most, I write You as U.
aiit bro..jus kidin,jus dnt lik heat-up arguments,I run awae frm arguments(dnt mind me,no b ma fault) am so usd to ds shrtnd msgs bt d strangest part is it dosnt cm to ma hand wen am writin on paper...on wch tariff plan n netwrk do u get unlimited texts?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by kika41(m): 10:18pm On Sep 18, 2013
@9ija man,which of these applicants have a brighter chance
Mr.A-petroleum engineer 1st class-Uniport
Mr.B-petroleum engineer 1st class-unilag
Mr.C-petroleum engineer 1st class-uniben
Plz,rank dem with reasons!!
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 12:23am On Sep 19, 2013
how do i get dis to frontpage nw?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by lymelyte(m): 12:57am On Sep 19, 2013
Capableben: how do i get dis to frontpage nw?
It is not in your power to take ur thread to FP.just alert the moderators of this thread and they will do that.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 4:21am On Sep 19, 2013
kika41: @9ija man,which of these applicants have a brighter chance
GUY ITS UR MENTAL STRENGHT THAT WILL GET U ANYWHERE U WANT TO BE NOT THE SCH. I WENT TO ONE OF THE SO CALLED WORST SCHOOL BUT HAVE GAT ONE OF THE BEST JOB. DONT JUST STUDY FOR THE SAKE OF EXAMS, GET YOUR SELF PREPARED FOR THE WORLD

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by kika41(m): 7:55am On Sep 19, 2013
GOD AKPAN:
GUY ITS UR MENTAL STRENGHT THAT WILL GET U ANYWHERE U WANT TO BE NOT THE SCH. I WENT TO ONE OF THE SO CALLED WORST SCHOOL BUT HAVE GAT ONE OF THE BEST JOB. DONT JUST STUDY FOR THE SAKE OF EXAMS, GET YOUR SELF PREPARED FOR THE WORLD
@Godakpan,but sometimes,school matters
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Uricas(m): 8:15am On Sep 19, 2013
Wow!kudos to u guys,i really gain alot.Wow!kudos to u guys,i really gain alot.Wow!kudos to u guys,i really gain alot.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 9:00am On Sep 19, 2013
kika41: @Godakpan,but sometimes,school matters

grin grin
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Dannyclemz: 9:11am On Sep 19, 2013
Well am currently studying Petroleum Engineering in the university of Uyo and am planning bu God's grace to go in for Gas Engineering at my masters level! Haven't heard anyone talking about Gas Engineering...what do you guys think?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Richiez(m): 10:08am On Sep 19, 2013
Capableben: how do i get dis to frontpage nw?
This thread already made front page...newer threads on the front page has pushed it down
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jaybee3(m): 11:39am On Sep 19, 2013

The university is irrelevant so long as the course is accredited and you've met the minimum criteria (GPA => 2:1)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 12:23pm On Sep 19, 2013
If university is irrelevant what's the whole point of university ranking/rating? doesn't a graduate of chemical engineering at MIT stand a better chance than a graduate of Chemical engineering at Howard university? or can we compare the chances of a graduate of Cambridge/Oxford with one from university of Bolton? or is it that the whole irrelevance of university choice applies just to Nigerian universities since our schools are all regarded as below standard? Also, is it that the B.Sc given in US and UK is different from the B.Sc here in Nigeria? If no, then why do all our people want to run there for education? These are questions we should ask ourselves. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 1:19pm On Sep 19, 2013
femishow2005: @ 9ijaman, jpphilips et al.. pls kindly mention some kind of certifications or professional course will you recommend for a fresh graduate in petroleum engineering can embark on in order to boost himself in this competitive market. thanks

I'd say it depends on a number of factors. Some of these include where are you currently, how much can you afford to spend on a professional training and what exactly is your aim (as in which specific area of specialization are you really interested in)? Going for an MSc. is often an expensive venture which currently yields little or no extra benefit compared to having only a first degree. Besides going for MSc abroad is quite expensive. MSc in Nigeria would be fine since it'll be a lot cheaper and you'll at least keep learning while searching for a good opportunity.

As a starter, a local training in Mud Engineering/drilling fluids (PTI @ Effurun seems to be offering a course on drilling fluids) will be just fine. I'll strongly recommend this. However, courses in solids control would ok too.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by deepwater(f): 1:29pm On Sep 19, 2013
Double post
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 1:35pm On Sep 19, 2013

The first criteria at getting a shot into an O&G firm is to finish first with a 2:1. At least a lot of interview doors will easily open for you. UniLag and UniBen have for long ranked among the top schools in Nigeria. UniPort obviously enjoys the advantage of location. I know some here feel schools don't matter, they are very much entitled to their opinion. My almost 15 years in the industry, shows clearly that Schools do really matter. Arguing that they don't matter amounts to self denial. In the UK and the US it's the same. In fact, it does happen too in the middle east.

Back to your questions, those three schools have an almost equal ranking within the industry in Nigeria, once again UniPort enjoys location advantage, hence it just about ranks equal with the other two heavy weights.

Since there will be no significant "school factor" advantage, it then boils down to individual performance, members of the interviewing panel and finally luck.

My response above is based on real life experience and not some "equal opportunity employer" hogwash.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 1:54pm On Sep 19, 2013
9ijaMan:

The first criteria at getting a shot into an O&G firm is to finish first with a 2:1. At least a lot of interview doors will easily open for you. UniLag and UniBen have for long ranked among the top schools in Nigeria. UniPort obviously enjoys the advantage of location. I know some here feel schools don't matter, they are very much entitled to their opinion. My almost 15 years in the industry, shows clearly that Schools do really matter. Arguing that they don't matter amounts to self denial. In the UK and the US it's the same. In fact, it does happen too in the middle east.

Back to your questions, those three schools have an almost equal ranking within the industry in Nigeria, once again UniPort enjoys location advantage, hence it just about ranks equal with the other two heavy weights.

Since there will be no significant "school factor" advantage, it then boils down to individual performance, members of the interviewing panel and finally luck.

My response above is based on real life experience and not some "equal opportunity employer" hogwash.
well said
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 2:00pm On Sep 19, 2013
deepwater: 9ijaman, I have an aspiration to be a driller some day, nothing else in this world fascinates me except that ambition, although still in my final year in school, I have attended numerous drilling and opito approved courses, I have passed my well control(intro), mastered my kill sheet preparation(surface stack), but still trying to get my act right with subsea, presently I am studying for my well control(fundamental), but a friend is advising me to switch over to subsea, I mean SWAT, he gave me some moduspec texts and pointed out some interesting things in hydril,
* as a professional in the drilling field, do you think drilling is better off compared to SWAT or otherwise?
* what are the major challenges that stands on one becoming a driller?
*is it advisable for one to progress to tool/tour pusher as a driller or move to the operator side as a company man, which is more preferable?
*since the SWAT guys are not really needed in jack ups and swamp barges due to the nature of their BOP not being submerged, don't you think SWAT guys would be limited to deepwater only and is that not a negativity on its own?
*finally for now, which is more challenging?
So many thanks for the input, we are all learning from you sir.

P S: where you on the Baltic 1 or Adriatic 1, they drilled in the akpo field in the 90s

My brother sorry o! Commercially Viable oil reserve was discovered in OML-130 (Akpo field) in the year 2000. In the 90s I was still studying at Ife, left school jsut b4 we entered the 2000s. I did have a few stints in the field though while working with a multinational service provider in the early 2000s, drilling the delineation wells. Besides neither Baltic nor Adriatic 1 (AD-1) could have ever been on Akpo field as both rigs are jack-ups and have a rated water depths less than 400 ft. Akpo field has water depth in excess of 3,000 ft. I was once on rig AD-1 in the Exon field off the coast of Calabar.

Subsea engineers are currently in high demand as there are relatively very few subsea experts in the world today. Their pay is also quite juicy. Drilling Egineering is however more versatile and is not necessarily as restricted to deepwater alone as Subsea engineering is. If you are a young beginner, I'll go the Subsea Engineering route. If you are an experienced hand, drilling Engineering is a safer bet.

If you chose the drilling option (not drilling engineering), most degree holders back then (don't know what is obtainable currently o!) are often employed to start as assistant drillers and you'll work your way up through driller, tour pusher, tool pusher, OIM (for an offshore rig), rig manager etc.

I hope I have managed to answer your question.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by deepwater(f): 2:22pm On Sep 19, 2013
9ijaMan:

My brother sorry o! Commercially Viable oil reserve was discovered in OML-130 (Akpo field) in the year 2000. In the 90s I was still studying at Ife, left school jsut b4 we entered the 2000s. I did have a few stints in the field though while working with a multinational service provider in the early 2000s, drilling the delineation wells. Besides neither Baltic nor Adriatic 1 (AD-1) could have ever been on Akpo field as both rigs are jack-ups and have a rated water depths less than 400 ft. Akpo field has water depth in excess of 3,000 ft. I was once on rig AD-1 in the Exon field off the coast of Calabar.

Subsea engineers are currently in high demand as there are relatively very few subsea experts in the world today. Their pay is also quite juicy. Drilling Egineering is however more versatile and is not necessarily as restricted to deepwater alone as Subsea engineering is. If you are a young beginner, I'll go the Subsea Engineering route. If you are an experienced hand, drilling Engineering is a safer bet.

If you chose the drilling option (not drilling engineering), most degree holders back then (don't know what is obtainable currently o!) are often employed to start as assistant drillers and you'll work yo

I hope I have managed to answer your question.

Am
These days, only a few degree holders get the op
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 2:51pm On Sep 19, 2013
deepwater:

Am sorry, I meant to say amena/kpono, not akpo (jack ryan is working on akpo field the last time I checked).
These days, only a few degree holders get the opportunity to come in though the assistant drillers' cadre,majority is being forced to pass the ladder completely starting from the roustabout position but kinda accelerated.
I am not an experienced hand, am still very much young and in my final year, I will consider your advice but will this give room to more suggestions from seasoned personnel like you, so many thanks once again, I am grateful

No wahala. I missed out on the fun in Amenam/Kpono field. We lost out to a competitor for the contract on the continued field development around 2003/2004. However, I worked in the USAN field (Total probably ELF back then), on an old/jallopy semi-sub rig, to drill the wells USAN-1 & USAN-2 exploratory wells.

The accelerated drilling training program (ADT) is the same as I mentioned earlier. The guys are employed as Assitant Drillers, however, they'll have to pass through just about every position (including roustabout job) on the rig while undergoing the training to finally become a fulltime asst. driller.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by lymelyte(m): 5:52pm On Sep 19, 2013
Once again, @9ijaman and @all the bros in this thread,please I urgently seek advices from you all.
I am a graduate from production engineering (uniben)currently waiting for nysc batch c.I graduated with 2.2, what are my chances of breaking into the E&P coy? I recently did a short professional course on drilling(Drilling operations & Equipments)which I paid 60k.Right now,i seriously feel that isn't enough as I need other qualifications to boost my chances but the problem is I don't know which certifications to go for.
I vehemently need all the help I can get from you guys in creating a path toward the dream of working in this sector.
The funding isn't the problem here as I can atleast take care of the bill with my HARD grin earn cash in acquiring the certification here in nigeria.
God bless you all as I quietly and patiently wait for responses. smiley
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by another1234(m): 9:18am On Sep 20, 2013
9ijaMan:

bros i get u n i undastood u vry wel.am a uniben student petroleum.wat shud i do to cum out best in my field.plz i rily ned ur help u can me on 2go another1234 n watsap 08182580868.i apreciate if u respond
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by kika41(m): 11:35am On Sep 20, 2013
9ijaMan:

thank you very much,m grateful...but as u said u are in the industry....I asked another guy who is a senior project manager for Total,he graduated from unilag,nd he said that Unilag and uniport gradz are most embraced in the oil and gas industry in respect to '''petroleum engineering""...plz make me understand better!!
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by another1234(m): 2:16pm On Sep 20, 2013
guy i need help wat shud i do to bang a 1st class degree in petroleum engineer in unibe n also wat ar xome certificate dat i can also pursue while sti studyin my cus in uniben xo dat wen i grad i can be acepted into any oil company.u can tel me on 2go another1234 n watsap 08182580868 .tanx
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 2:24pm On Sep 20, 2013
9ijaMan:

As much as your opinion remains your entitlement, there are many facets of life you see through your individualistic observances and it can never hold as a yard stick or benchmark.

let us start with shell,
majority of Shell staff come in through the SITP programme at entry level, have you in your "life experience" heard where people pass SITP and shell tells them " sorry we cant take you because you didn't attend an old generation school"? or you are implying that Shell will deny you SITP admission because you didn't attend an old gen. uni.? these people are more interested in the stuff you are made of not some yeye Nigerian old generation school that hasn't made first 50 universities in the world.

let me take you to TOTAL sponsored IPS, which guarantees a reasonable number of TOTAL staff, have you ever heard in your "life experience" that someone came out tops in IPS and TOTAL says "sorry, we cant take you because your old generation university status didn't check out"? or, we reject your IPS application for same reason?
you sit somewhere and feed yourself falsehoods because you encountered some pocket scenarios, have you taken your time to investigate and trim the rough edges of this opinion of yours you hold so dear?

you are in the industry, by now you should have made calls to ascertain the veracity of your claims before dismissing others as mere "hog wash"

At entry level, it is a totally different ball game, unlike MSc level, personally i can not sponsor anybody for MSc in a Nigerian university or advise anybody to do it especially if the person has an eye for the upstream sector, the reason is based on what i have seen lately, from people i met and spoke with, most IOC's give preference to foreign Universities acquired MSc, that is a fact you can verify,

how they Rank foreign universities, why they do it, how and when it started is something that eludes me, but i can tell you categorically that MSc has levels as far as upstream operators are concerned, now if you look at job adverts on that, they state it there, " MSc from a recognized institution". meaning; there are institutions that are not recognized.

talking about personal observances, I once attended ESUT Alumni meeting in portharcourt at the behest of a friend (this friend is a TOTAL employee, joined at entry level), i was shocked how many of them are upstream, now, this is a state university which by your standard may likely not stand a chance, in fact, i wasn't surprised because i knew some of them during our NAN's days as students,

also, i have personally asked a lot of "company men" the school they attended and i have gotten answers from NAU, ESUT, Illorin, Lagos, Maiduguri, Ebonyi, Ibadan and a whole lot.

sometimes you really need to look beyond your "life experiences" before drawing some conclusions.

hope you wont argue, how many of others Vs how many of the old generation? this is where i will wrap it up, your opinion remains yours.

I reiterate again, at entry level, school hardly matters so long as your dept is accredited and you have the required grade, now it is 2.1 and 1st class and there is an opening for your course.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Tats(m): 4:40pm On Sep 20, 2013
kika41: thank you very much,m grateful...but as u said u are in the industry....I asked another guy who is a senior project manager for Total,he graduated from unilag,nd he said that Unilag and uniport gradz are most embraced in the oil and gas industry in respect to '''petroleum engineering""...plz make me understand better!!

When did Unilag start petroleum Engineering that its Pet Engine grads would be more embraced in Oil and Gas industry?
I suppose he meant Unilag Engineering grads who I believe abound in the Oil & Gas industry, but that is no different from the numerous Engineering grads from Uniben and also uniport who work in the Oil and gas industry.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 6:25pm On Sep 20, 2013
jp philips:

let us start with shell,
majority of Shell staff come in through the SITP programme at entry level, have you in your "life experience" heard where people pass SITP and shell tells them " sorry we cant take you because you didn't attend an old generation school"? or you are implying that Shell will deny you SITP admission because you didn't attend an old gen. uni.? these people are more interested in the stuff you are made of not some yeye Nigerian old generation school that hasn't made first 50 universities in the world.

I'll take you on just the above point alone and simply ignore the rest of your epistle. It's a fallacy to state that "majority of Shell staff come in through the SITP programme at entry level". Your postulate smacks of someone who can barely see beyond his nose. Shell is a world wide company which does not employ from Nigeria alone. I have tens of friends who went to SITP and were left in the lurch for graduates who got their MSc from schools abroad. Let me explain better so that I wont get misquoted again: While a few friends went to SITP and others went to schools abroad, Shell still preferred to employ those who schooled abroad to the SITP guys (the same guys Shell trained). This still happens to date. By the way this was not a one off occurrence, so please save yourself the trouble of trying to explain.

I've had the opportunity to work in different continents/countries and my experience working in the industry across the world remains the same. It's your choice if you decide to continue to live in self denial.

No where in my entire posts have I said a graduate from any school in Nigeria does not stand a chance to work in the O&G industry, how you came to such a funny conclusion tells me a lot more about you. I'm fully aware that lots of school cert leavers work in the industry, as such it'll be foolhardy for any one to state that only specific Unis' grads work in the industry.

This will certainly the last I'll respond to your post. Peace!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Prof. Gabriel Oyibo (GAGUT Theorem): Mad man or Genius / A Student Was Expelled From School In Kenya For Drawing This / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.