Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,212 members, 7,822,082 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings (9039 Views)

Is Buying A Car A True Sign Of Success? / Peugeot 307 Problems! Help! Car Does Not Start When Hot! / Please Help! Car Doesn't Accelerate As It Should (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by me2me: 1:26pm On Sep 14, 2013
Hello, my honda accord 2000 model a/c chills well in the mornings and evenings but only cools in the afternoons (struggles to cool is more like it as i set the fan speed to 4), leaving one frustrated. Why is this so? is there something that can be done to fix this? Someone once told me of a friend that had this issue with his honda academy but it was fixed and the a/c started chilling in the hot afternoon.
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by elektra80: 7:13pm On Sep 14, 2013
A lot of things can cause this. You need to take ur car to a good A/C technician to look at it. if u live in mainland Lagos I can recommend u to my a/c mechanic. When was the last time u serviced the a/c? like have u ever changed the dryer and check the compressor oil?
The following can be the cause of ur problem
Low freeon
clogged/blocked condenser
faulty compressor
faulty thermostat
etc
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by me2me: 11:52pm On Sep 14, 2013
I changed the compressor as the former leaked and reasonable oil was added, the condenser was not clogged, charged with 2 cans of freon, evaporator was dusty and so cleaned, was told the dryer was ok and no need to change it. The work was finished in the evening and the A/C chilled nicely and again the next morning but alas in the afternoon, it didn't perform as I had anticipated but rather cooled instead of chilling. I have been testing it since hoping the situation would improve but nothing so far.
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by me2me: 12:04am On Sep 15, 2013
In addition, the thermostat is working fine.
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by Nobody: 4:06am On Sep 15, 2013
me2me: The work was finished in the evening and the A/C chilled nicely and again the next morning but alas in the afternoon, it didn't perform as I had anticipated but rather cooled instead of chilling. I have been testing it since hoping the situation would improve but nothing so far.
this sounds like a leak. Was it refilled with maxron or any other good refrigerant?
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by Muoweta: 8:01am On Sep 15, 2013
me2me: I changed the compressor as the former leaked and reasonable oil was added, the condenser was not clogged, charged with 2 cans of freon, evaporator was dusty and so cleaned, was told the dryer was ok and no need to change it. The work was finished in the evening and the A/C chilled nicely and again the next morning but alas in the afternoon, it didn't perform as I had anticipated but rather cooled instead of chilling. I have been testing it since hoping the situation would improve but nothing so far.
suffered a similar situation buh mine had issues wit d thermostat n a wrong type of gas....try changing d gas then wash ur engine with steam n more emphasis on d condenser it 'l improve
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by me2me: 1:04pm On Sep 15, 2013
I believe it was maxron refrigerant that was applied, though am not totally sure. I read somewhere that dryer must be changed once a compressor is replaced. In my case, the electrician said the dryer was ok and need not be changed. Could this be the problem? Or contributing to the problem?

1 Like

Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by MSItachi: 6:28am On Sep 16, 2013
Had same issue last 2 years. A simple gas top up solved mine
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by me2me: 10:57am On Oct 01, 2013
It was discovered that the refrigerant was low and a top up resolved it and the ac now chills in the afternoons.
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by Ikenna351(m): 11:23am On Oct 01, 2013
me2me: It was discovered that the refrigerant was low and a top up resolved it and the ac now chills in the afternoons.

The Problem is yet not resolved if the leak was not traced and fixed. Soon, the problem will resurface, unless you are ready to be regassing the system each time it gets low. It could last you months before it gets low again, which in that case, won't be a bother. But it could as well last only days or few weeks, which can be very frustrating.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by Nobody: 5:06am On Oct 02, 2013
me2me: It was discovered that the refrigerant was low and a top up resolved it and the ac now chills in the afternoons.

waiting for future occurences as IK has clearly stated.
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by me2me: 7:20pm On Oct 05, 2013
@ ikenna351 & smartchoice

So far so good, the AC is performing well. Am still test running though..
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by jayriginal: 12:11pm On Nov 07, 2013
@ me2me, how is the AC doing?

Still chilling in the afternoons?
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by me2me: 8:03am On Nov 08, 2013
@ jayriginal

The AC still chills in the afternoons..test running is still on-going..
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by jayriginal: 4:18pm On Nov 08, 2013
me2me: @ jayriginal

Cool
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by funlover1(m): 4:41pm On Nov 08, 2013
My car Ac goes on and off. It works for some time and goes off..then it comes on again..what could be the cause?
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by tkaymuo(m): 7:40pm On Nov 09, 2013
me2me: @ jayriginal

which refrigerant is the best to use in a tiny light camry?
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by tkaymuo(m): 7:42pm On Nov 09, 2013
me2me: @ ikenna351 & smartchoice

So far so good, the AC is performing well. Am still test running though..
which refrigerant was used for u now , becos am not impressed with refrigerant used in the top-up of my tiny light camry
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by cardoctor(m): 8:55pm On Nov 09, 2013
I was going to suggest that you try another compressor. The one you changed may not have enough compression to handle the extreme hot weather conditions of day running. I have encountered this on quite a few occasions and this solved the problem.

Good thing you topped of with more gas and that solved the problem. I wonder why your ac guy didn't think of that in the first instance.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by tkaymuo(m): 9:08pm On Nov 09, 2013
the last refrigerant used for my car is called "snow".. the ac technician claimed its a new product but am not satisfied with the cooling since the gas that came with the car finished... please my dear friends suggest for me the best refrigerant for optimum cooling in Toyota 98 camry...thanks
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 09, 2013
who are you advising?

car-doctor:
I was going to suggest that you try another compressor. The one you changed may not have enough compression to handle the extreme hot weather conditions of day running. I have encountered this on quite a few occasions and this solved the problem.

Good thing you topped of with more gas and that solved the problem. I wonder why your ac guy didn't think of that in the first instance.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by noel76(m): 9:38pm On Nov 10, 2013
@op my advice is this, if ur compressor is ie has a good compression and there is no leakage as far as the compressor is guaged wit d recommended volume of refridgerant any make of ac gas will cool weLl although sum gas can mak ur compressor hot so U̶̲̥̅̊ need to know which work well for U̶̲̥̅̊. And i also discovered dat most ac technicians re dubious they won't fill ur compressor to guage so ur ac ll definately not freeze wen its sunny. My 1991 mazda 626 is a living witness so i tend to service my ac all by my self.
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by adanny01(m): 12:52am On Nov 11, 2013
From my own point of view, the a/c might not even have a problem. A/c in a very hot afternoon, after the car must have been parked in the sun is always very weak.
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by Arteta99(m): 7:17am On Nov 11, 2013
adanny01: From my own point of view, the a/c might not even have a problem. A/c in a very hot afternoon, after the car must have been parked in the sun is always very weak.
where did you learn this
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by jayriginal: 8:29am On Nov 11, 2013
adanny01: From my own point of view, the a/c might not even have a problem. A/c in a very hot afternoon, after the car must have been parked in the sun is always very weak.

Haba bros!
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by adanny01(m): 9:53am On Nov 11, 2013
Arteta99: where did you learn this

jayriginal:

Haba bros!

You dont get my point. What he is complaining of just happened to me yesterday. Let me tell you my elaborate story.

My car was parked under the car shade before leaving my house with a friend to pick another friend of ours. Upon leaving, a/c was on with fan on position 2. It was chilling and very comfortable. We reached out friends house which had no shades or tree i can park under. The sun was blazing hot. 30mins later we came to leave. The body of the car was so hot that placing ur hand on it for 2secs was like placing ur hand on a hot plate. After opening the car the interior was so hot we couldnt go in immediately. We opened all doors to let hot air out. I went in and started the engine, put on a/c to maximum before they entered and closed the doors. 2mins later my friend who sat at the back asked that she was not feeling the a/c. My friend at the front complained that maybe something was wrong because he knew how well the a/c worked when we arrived 30 mins earlier but now very poor. My friend that we picked always asks me to turn off the a/c in d evenings as it was always too cold for her.

I put the back of my hand on the windscreen and it was still very hot and the a/c not performing well. I thought maybe i will need to recharge the freon. I was so worried because i know how good the a/c works on this car.

We arrived a destination, which our friend went to pick something in her friends house. I turned off the a/c as it was pointless to leave it on while we wait and not chilling well. I parked under shade of a tree, rolled down rear windows and opened front doors while we waited for 10 mins. As we left the a/c was now chilling very well that my friend seated in front asked me whether i repaired it because i earlier opened the hood to feel the cold on the a/c pipe.

I do hope by now you get my point. The only reason the a/c didnt perform well was that it was parked in the sun, so most of the cool air being produced is lost due to the high temperature of the body of the car. As soon as the car body cooled down, a/c was better.

At the time i arrived home at 10pm and alone in the car the a/c at its lowest was still too cols for me. I had to further lower the cooling with the temperature adjuster.

Never forget that the op said it chills in the morning and evenings but just cool in the afternoon. Thats normal to me considerjng that the a/c works better when external temperature is low and is poor if external temperature is high. The number of passengers in a car also determines how good the a/c works. You dont expect the a/c of the same car to perform the same in Maiduguri and in Jos. Dont forget that the car is a 13 yr old. Also forget not that in the hot afternoon, you will need to use the a/c for a longer period to enjoy it.

Am not rulling out the possiblity that there is a fault but saying a perfectly functional a/c may seem faulty in certain conditions of ambient temperature. It must not be concluded as faulty.

me2me: Hello, my honda accord 2000 model a/c chills well in the mornings and evenings but only cools in the afternoons (struggles to cool is more like it as i set the fan speed to 4), leaving one frustrated.
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by jaybolly(m): 9:33am On Dec 27, 2017
me2me:
@ jayriginal

me2me:
@ jayriginal

Hey Boss,
I have been having issues with my car AC. Spent too much money on it. Just recently, the car cools (not very chilling though, just manageable) very early in the morning and late at nights while blows hot during the day.
Can you, based on experience, recommend someone?I am in Lagos and brand of car is Hyundai Santa Fe.
Thank you
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by Adedolapo1: 9:11pm On Dec 27, 2017
jaybolly:

Hey Boss,
I have been having issues with my car AC. Spent too much money on it. Just recently, the car cools (not very chilling though, just manageable) very early in the morning and late at nights while blows hot during the day.
Can you, based on experience, recommend someone?I am in Lagos and brand of car is Hyundai Santa Fe.
Thank you
cc : Gazzuzz
Cc: Mosbus
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by mosbus: 10:17pm On Dec 27, 2017
Adedolapo1:
cc : Gazzuzz
Cc: Mosbus
where are you at in lagos
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by Adedolapo1: 3:51pm On Dec 28, 2017
mosbus:
where are you at in lagos

jaybolly:

Hey Boss,
Thank you
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by mosbus: 10:15pm On Dec 28, 2017
Adedolapo1:

jaybolly:

Hey Boss,
Thank you
don't have any body for now seems your compressor has low pumping,low pumping I mean is that the compression is low so is only if you drive faster you will fill the cooling,or maybe the gas quantity is low.
Re: Help! Car A/c Only Chills Mornings & Evenings by mogreen22: 10:59pm On Dec 28, 2017
Adedolapo1:

jaybolly:

Hey Boss,
Thank you
but Mosbus is in Lagos and he is a good ac engineer

(1) (2) (Reply)

Traffic Offences In Lagos State According To Lastma / Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? / Watch:BMW's Wireless Charging Pad Will Charge Your Car In 3½ hrs Without A Cable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.