Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,135 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Short Story Competition - Literature (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story Competition (41706 Views)

Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> / Commonwealth Short Story Competition / 2008-9 Commonwealth Short Story Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 10:42pm On Oct 12, 2013
Okay royver, just read urs.

I think the Genre falls around fantasy right? And the narrative uses present continuous? - which indeed is a slight change from the status quo - but i must say that you tried and didn't miss up the tenses till it ended. So good point for you!

Now to the story...
Err...Well, it read like a Disney script to me (pls take that lightly), albeit having a Nigerian setting.

Interesting to also note that this was the story that made some people here emotional right? Oh well, as for me i didn't blink a tear oh, because Sandra had better face her book and let angel...err...(whatever his name is).... protect her from afar! Children of nowadays sef grin

ignore me jare, Its all good. And i loved itwink
Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 10:48pm On Oct 12, 2013
Okay scratch that, twas nugess piece that made big aunty efe emotional not royvers.

Uhm...lets see how it goes on mesmiley
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 10:57pm On Oct 12, 2013
^^Talking to yourself is so not cool!

1 Like

Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 11:26pm On Oct 12, 2013
@mazi but am not talking to myself na, am reading the stories and writing what i think embarassed

Anyways Jo, Oma4u, i just read your story. But before i say anymore, I just wanna steal this line:

'...assemble words into literary jewels to express my thoughts.'

because it's classic!cheesy

that said, now to the real deal...

- I've always had problem with the length of your stories, why do i have a feeling this too is over stretched?

- at some point, you mistook Mr Eric for Mr Efe. [s] And you were fighting cat and dog with paragraphs and spacing. [/s] (my mistake)

But The story itself was nice, quite suspensful and intriguing, albeit superfluous in narration, character and plot (the twin twist didn't work for me).

All in all, its a unique plot and offcourse I say, welldonewink
Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 11:33pm On Oct 12, 2013
Got to hit the sack now, tomorrow hopefully i will be through with the stories and send in my results.smiley

#I know, I know am talking to myself again, maybe cos am presently feverishsad#
Re: Short Story Competition by Oahray: 12:43am On Oct 13, 2013
*jealous*
Why I no agree to be judge? sad

Can I still comment on the stories anyway? smiley
Re: Short Story Competition by kingphilip(m): 4:41am On Oct 13, 2013
Oahray: *jealous*
Why I no agree to be judge? sad

Can I still comment on the stories anyway? smiley
i think u are free to do it here and not over there or so i tot
Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 2:16pm On Oct 13, 2013
Okay nugess, i just read ur piece and well...uhm...err...can i just dab these tears cry cry

brb, let me finish wailing for Annie cry
Re: Short Story Competition by Ishilove: 2:20pm On Oct 13, 2013
Truth be told, though the stories were great, I couldn't connect with most of them.

Oma4u, sincerely i preferred your other story to the one you submitted in the final round. Same goes for Miss Fibre and Royver. I just couldn't ...connect.

Nuges, personally I think 'The Proposal' would have been a more apt title for your story. A story of an attempted proposal that goes horrifyingly wrong. It's your call anyway smiley. Annie's village people do am strong tin sha, and the boyfriend is a waster. The girl was sleeping jejely on her own when he went to drag her to her death.

T-flow, you flowed. That's all I will say.

I love that the writers gave it their best shot and what matters the most is they enjoyed writing it. You can only get better smiley

Welldone guys smiley
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 7:01pm On Oct 13, 2013
princesa:

brb, let me finish wailing for Annie cry

Please submit your scores. You can continue the wailing thereafter, until thy kingdom come.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2013
We're awaiting scores from the remaining two judges; kayemjay and princesa.

Princesa has been around so I'm sure she will do her thing in the next few hours else I will literarily strangle her but my fear is that I'm yet to see kayemjay since this second round started.
I've tried reaching him thru his mail address but no reply. I've dropped messages for him on his current threads, still nothing.
If he doesn't show up till tomorrow morning, then we will announce the result without him.

Thanks.
Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 10:15pm On Oct 13, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Please submit your scores. You can continue the wailing thereafter, until thy kingdom come.
why is this man pestering my gentle life cry sad
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 10:19pm On Oct 13, 2013
princesa:
why is this man pestering my gentle life cry sad

B'cos your 'geltly life' is keeping 5 contestants, 6 judges and over a thousand viewers waiting!

Do something b4 I use ur legs as the anode in an electrolytic circuit thank God u were an arts student
Re: Short Story Competition by Ishilove: 10:23pm On Oct 13, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

B'cos your 'geltly life' is keeping 5 contestants, 6 judges and over a thousand viewers waiting!

Do something b4 I use ur legs as the anode in an electrolytic circuit thank God u were an arts student
shocked

Morbid embarassed
Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 10:36pm On Oct 13, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

isn't that going to kill me? embarassed
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 11:13pm On Oct 13, 2013
princesa:
isn't that going to kill me? embarassed

Thanks for submitting. I knew you needed a little threatening. I'm glad it worked.
Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 9:14am On Oct 14, 2013
For your left mind now, you threatened the sunset princess ba?

Abegi dey well Jor cool
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 9:23am On Oct 14, 2013
Kayemjay has asked to be given till mid-day today to submit scores. Noon is few hours from now, so I guess we'll have to wait a little longer.
Re: Short Story Competition by kayemjay(m): 12:10pm On Oct 14, 2013
Done @Mazi
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 12:19pm On Oct 14, 2013
All results received. Collation is ongoing.

Official result to be announced later...
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 12:51pm On Oct 14, 2013
Scores

Ms_Fibre
24.5 + 19 + 21 + 19 + 21 + 20 + 24 + 24
Total:- 172.5

Nudges
30 + 24 +24 + 30 + 30 + 28 + 28 + 27
Total:- 221

Royver
22.5 + 30 + 28.5 + 20 + 22 + 26 + 25 + 29.5
Total:- 203.5

T-flow
23 + 24.5 + 27 + 24 + 29 + 27 + 26 + 22
Total:- 202.5

Oma4u
17 + 17 + 19 + 16.5 + 18 + 19.5 + 22 + 19.5
Total:- 148.5
Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:54pm On Oct 14, 2013
Congratulations to Nuges grin grin

And all the contestants, your all are winners. See ya'll next seasonwink
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 1:00pm On Oct 14, 2013
Final Result

1.Nudges11 - 221 points

First position, and winner of MTN 1,500 Recharge card; with his award winning story racking up highest points in all available criteria:

2. Royver - 203.5 points

Second position; winner of MTN 750 recharge card:

3. T-flow - 202.5 points

Third position; winner of MTN 400 recharge card; seated deep on the second position until the final judge submitted his scores and shattered his dreams;
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 1:13pm On Oct 14, 2013
Congrats to:
1.. Nudgess11
2.. Royover
3.. T-flow

AND ALSO:
4..Miss fibre and 5.. Oma4u..
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by Oahray: 1:42pm On Oct 14, 2013
Awww... *wipes solitary tear*
I love happy endings.

*looking for someone to hug*
Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 1:53pm On Oct 14, 2013
Oahray: Awww... *wipes solitary tear*
I love happy endings.

*looking for someone to hug*
here
Re: Short Story Competition by kingphilip(m): 2:34pm On Oct 14, 2013
Congratulations to:
1.. Nudges11
2.. Royover
3.. T-flow

its now tym to give ur tithes and since tithes is the 10% of ur income, there4 ur tithes are as follows

nudges11-150naira
royover-75naira
t-flow- 40naira

these tithes should be transfered to the fone number in this signature asap
Re: Short Story Competition by Nuges11(m): 2:36pm On Oct 14, 2013
First of, I'd like to say a big thank you to the brain behind this competition, Mazi, big ups bro, you're much appreciated.

To the judges, wow, you guys are more than awesome. Making time out of no time to read through piles of stories, critique and grade each story is no child's play at all, and you guys did an excellent job at it. Kudos.

I must mention that I've gained so much here, and I'm very sure other contestants have learnt one thing or the other too.

Ms_Fibre, Royver, Oma4u and T-Flow, you guys were simply spectacular, I wanna write like you guys when I grow up smiley . Royver, I read your other story, The Altercation, and I couldn't help but marvel at the way you paint vivid pictures with words, it was a privilege competing with you bro.

To the spectators, God bless you for following. SirElaw, thanks for the moral support, you're loved.

1 Like

Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 2:40pm On Oct 14, 2013
Nuges11: First of, I'd like to say a big thank you to the brain behind this competition, Mazi, big ups bro, you're much appreciated.

To the judges, wow, you guys are more than awesome. Making time out of no time to read through piles of stories, critique and grade each story is no child's play at all, and you guys did an excellent job at it. Kudos.

I must mention that I've gained so much here, and I'm very sure other contestants have learnt one thing or the other too.

Ms_Fibre, Royver, Oma4u and T-Flow, you guys were simply spectacular, I wanna write like you guys when I grow up smiley . Royver, I read your other story, The Altercation, and I couldn't help but marvel at the way you paint vivid pictures with words, it was a privilege competing with you bro.

To the spectators, God bless you for following. SirElaw, thanks for the moral support, you're loved.
Please Pm me sir.
Re: Short Story Competition by Nuges11(m): 2:46pm On Oct 14, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Please Pm me sir.

Done, ma.
Re: Short Story Competition by Omolola1(f): 2:55pm On Oct 14, 2013
Congratulations Nuges
And to all the other contestants, you are all winners
Re: Short Story Competition by Royver(m): 2:58pm On Oct 14, 2013
Wow! Can't believe I came in 2nd place! For a moment there I thought I was out of the competition completely. @repogirl, ur suspicions were right, night visitor was rushed. Would have asked for more time if I knew I could. All the same , all d other stories were simply mind blowing! Miss fibre, Oma4u, tttttttt-flow(!) Nuges...U guys r awesome.
Thanks to the judges for their wonderful critiquing, corrections, comments... I have benefited immensely from your work. Thanks much!
Erm, could I pls ask a favour? Could u also have a look at my other writeups and tell me what u think? I'd be most grateful!

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (Reply)

The Madam At The Top / The Preacher's Son III: Diary Of A Player / Life Of A Unilag Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.