Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,162 members, 7,811,354 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

Short Story Competition - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story Competition (41580 Views)

Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> / Commonwealth Short Story Competition / 2008-9 Commonwealth Short Story Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Short Story Competition by kingphilip(m): 12:13am On Sep 26, 2013
Kslib: I cant believe i havent even written anything down..
Na wa oo.. Even if na 2lines,i must submit sha... grin
@mazi,submission starts tomorrow and ends on the 2nd of october right?
All izz well!

it has been changed to 1st of oct o or so i tot...plZ Mazi come n confirm
Re: Short Story Competition by AbuMikey(m): 7:42am On Sep 26, 2013
Shuuuu! shockedshockedshockedshocked
Submission is starting today and I haven't written a single alphabet down!!! sad

Am on a long tin ooo grin

Ishilove is a judge shocked,I haff kee mysef oo cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Short Story Competition by EfemenaXY: 8:03am On Sep 26, 2013
Hello All,

Firstly, I'd like to commend Mazi for this idea of his - good stuff and it'll help a lot of budding writers, so kudos to him for this.

Well, as a judge, I'd like to let you all know that I'm quite harsh in my critiques. I don't do friends or favours here and will be looking at the technical content of your write ups. You must strive to impress. By impressing me and the fellow judges, you'll also help improve your writing skills. Now without further ado, here's what I'll be looking out for:

Plot – How complex is it? The more complex, the better
Setting – Should be easy for the reader to visualize. Even better if the five senses are engaged: sight, smell, taste, hearing and touch
Characterisation – Individual characters should be well thought out, unique and thoroughly 'fleshed out'
Action – The reader(s) must feel engaged
Dialogue – Excellent level of interaction needed with minimum dialogue tags.
Romance – for love and romance genres, fiction (for fiction), sci-fi (for sci-fi) and so on. Point is, the reader MUST feel the genre
Suspense – Same as above

In addition to that, I would be looking out for the following:

Spelling -- Including English vs. British Variances for Consistency
Typographical Errors
Capitalization
All Punctuation
Proper Paragraphing & Dialogue Transition
Sentence Structure
(Run-On Sentences & Sentence Fragments)
Verb-Tense Consistency
Redundancy
Point-Of-View Consistency
(Head Hopping)
Narrative Consistency (1st Person--2nd Person--3rd Person)
Scene-Change Clarity and Flow
Story Structure:

~ Imagery of Scenes
~ Character Development
~ Believability of Action, Plot, and Resolution
~ Historical and Data Correctness

I've also suggested to Mazi that he up the stakes for this competition with regards to the prizes on offer here. That notwithstanding, I'm willing to aid in this respect:

First prize $100
Second prize $50
Third prize $20

Not sure how Mazi plans to organize this but I'll leave that to him.

Nonetheless, bottom line here is that we'll or rather I, would be looking out for quality works. You must endeavour to show and not tell. Now what do I mean by this? Say for example, you're describing a character's physical appearance: don't tell me she's beautiful. Show me what makes her beautiful!

Finally, your very first paragraphs MUST have that hook to keep me glued to your story. If I'm bored, I'll toss your write-up over my shoulders.

Let's show the world that Nigerians have it in them to produce the finest, quality works ever. Make your country proud and moreso, yourself!

Goodluck!

2 Likes

Re: Short Story Competition by FoxyFlow(m): 8:09am On Sep 26, 2013
Efemena_xy: Hello All,

Firstly, I'd like to commend Mazi for this idea of his - good stuff and it'll help a lot of budding writers, so kudos to him for this.

Well, as a judge, I'd like to let you all know that I'm quite harsh in my critiques. I don't do friends or favours here and will be looking at the technical content of your write ups. You must strive to impress. By impressing me and the fellow judges, you'll also help improve your writing skills. Now without further ado, here's what I'll be looking out for:

Setting – Should be easy for the reader to visualize. Even better if the five senses are engaged: sight, smell, taste, hearing and touch
Characterisation – Individual characters should be well thought out, unique and thoroughly 'fleshed out'
Romance – for love and romance genres, fiction (for fiction), sci-fi (for sci-fi) and so on. Point is, the reader MUST feel the genre
Suspense – Same as above

Typographical Errors
Capitalization
All Punctuation
Sentence Structure
Verb-Tense Consistency
Redundancy
(Head Hopping)
Story Structure:

~ Imagery of Scenes
~ Character Development

I've also suggested to Mazi that he up the stakes for this competition with regards to the prizes on offer here. That notwithstanding, I'm willing to aid in this respect:

First prize $100
Second prize $50
Third prize $20

Nonetheless, bottom line here is that we'll or rather I, would be looking out for quality works. You must endeavour to show and not tell. Now what do I mean by this? Say for example, you're describing a character's physical appearance: don't tell me she's beautiful. Show me what makes her beautiful!

Finally, your very first paragraphs MUST have that hook to keep me glued to your story. If I'm bored, I'll toss your write-up over my shoulders.

Let's show the world that Nigerians have it in them to produce the finest, quality works ever. Make your country proud and moreso, yourself!

Goodluck!

O my God!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yehhhhh..... This woman is wicked oooo.........

She did not reveal all this things since na now... Men.... Time to see the effort of writers.

N15,700 no be beans ooo.... E go buy you new phone self grin grin grin

Oya, start submitting angry
Re: Short Story Competition by Popowaa: 9:21am On Sep 26, 2013
Just saw this can i join?
Re: Short Story Competition by joseff14(m): 9:58am On Sep 26, 2013
Please I want to write too. confirm me now now so I can start writing. Thanks for adding me in anticipation. grin
Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:13am On Sep 26, 2013
Popowaa: Just saw this can i join?
yea if you do not have a completed work on nairaland.
Re: Short Story Competition by Popowaa: 11:16am On Sep 26, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: yea if you do not have a completed work on nairaland.
thanks
Re: Short Story Competition by Ishilove: 11:20am On Sep 26, 2013
Lol. Efe, you're intimidating the writers. Some of the points you have enumerated is too high a bar for some, especially first time writers to meet, but thanks for the added incentives.

@writers, read Efe's post carefully and try to follow it to the tee, but don't let it hinder your creative flow. The most important thing is WRITE. Let it come from the deep well springs of your heart. Don't write to impress or because you want to win the prize, write because you want to and because you love to.

That doesn't sha mean you should write Latin for us o angry. Efe's post still encompasses the desirable elements that a good work of art should contain, so y'all gast to bring in your A-game

2 Likes

Re: Short Story Competition by EfemenaXY: 11:30am On Sep 26, 2013
Ishilove: Lol. Efe, you're intimidating the writers. Some of the points you have enumerated is too high a bar for some, especially first time writers to meet, but thanks for the added incentives.

@writers, read Efe's post carefully and try to follow it to the tee, but don't let it hinder your creative flow. The most important thing is WRITE. Let it come from the deep well springs of your heart. Don't write to impress or because you want to win the prize, write because you want to and because you love to.

That doesn't sha mean you should write Latin for us o angry. Efe's post still encompasses the desirable elements that a good work of art should contain, so y'all gast to bring in your A-game

Cheers Ishi smiley

To be honest, it's not my intention to intimidate the writers out there, but to encourage them to strive for excellence. I know that there are some good ones out there - perhaps, this will encourage them to come out, that's why I think it's worth raising the bar... and on that note, I think (my opinion) that the minimum number of words submitted should be 10,000 and Mazi should consider extending the deadline for submission by a week. That way, we can be guaranteed quality submissions and more or less separate the wheat from the chaff. Anyone who's serious about this will take it up as a challenge.

What d'you think?
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 11:31am On Sep 26, 2013
Am i lost Pls where's d submision thread
Re: Short Story Competition by Numerouuuno: 11:34am On Sep 26, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Cheers Ishi smiley

To be honest, it's not my intention to intimidate the writers out there, but to encourage them to strive for excellence. I know that there are some good ones out there - perhaps, this will encourage them to come out, that's why I think it's worth raising the bar... and on that note, I think (my opinion) that the minimum number of words submitted should be 10,000 and Mazi should consider extending the deadline for submission by a week. That way, we can be guaranteed quality submissions and more or less separate the wheat from the chaff. Anyone who's serious about this will take it up as a challenge.

What d'you think?
shocked
Re: Short Story Competition by FoxyFlow(m): 11:37am On Sep 26, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Cheers Ishi smiley

What d'you think?

This suggestion of yours should be for the next round or second episode of the competition. Thanks for the added money eh, but don't allow people wear their brain away trying to win it. Slowly and surely, we will get there.

Mazi, where is the submission thread na? angry
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 12:04pm On Sep 26, 2013
Mazi,

Please, strike out my name. I won't be able to submit any story.

Thanks. smiley
Re: Short Story Competition by Ishilove: 12:09pm On Sep 26, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Cheers Ishi smiley

What d'you think?
Good idea, but the 10,000 words minimum is too much, in my own opinion. When I first started writing, I couldn't write as much as 2000 words and I'm sure first timers out there will find it a challenge. Personally, I feel that the quality of a piece of work is not necessarily determined by the time frame it was created in.
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 1:05pm On Sep 26, 2013
You all heard Efe_xy. She's the current literature section poster of the year, you know what that means don't you?

About the take home prize, I will implement all she said for the subsequent edition coming up before the end of this year. For a star prize of $100, I think 10,000 words is okk. But let us concentrate on this maiden edition and see it thru before we start planning for subsequent editions.

Thank all for participating.

Submission thread has been created...
Re: Short Story Competition by FoxyFlow(m): 1:21pm On Sep 26, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: The submission thread will be created shortly and submission will commence. I've been a bit busy today, but I'm back now.

You all heard Efe_xy. She's the current literature section poster of the year, you know what that means don't you?

About the take home prize, I will implement all she said for the subsequent edition coming up before the end of this year. For a star prize of $100, I think 10,000 words is okk. But let us concentrate on this maiden edition and see it thru before we start planning for subsequent editions.

Thank all for participating.

Submission thread coming up soon.

Nice but wait o.... She is upping the money na, don't discourage this guys na. The subsequent edition should be $200 na grin grin.

Jokes apart, I just returned my reading glasses back. angry angry
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 1:28pm On Sep 26, 2013
Submission has started;

https://www.nairaland.com/1454855/short-story-competition-submission-thread#18376804

Please let's keep the thread for the judges and contestants alone. Any side comment can be made here.
Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 1:59pm On Sep 26, 2013
Efemena_xy:
Hello All,

Suspense – Same as above

Typographical Errors
Capitalization
All Punctuation
Sentence Structure
Verb-Tense Consistency
Redundancy
(Head Hopping)
Story Structure:

~ Imagery of Scenes
~ Character Development

First prize $100
Second prize $50
Third prize $20

Goodluck!
hello Mrs efe, being wanting to meet you! Now that i have, jeez am shivering...i wouldn't want to be in the hot seat that comes with all this rules, phew!sad

goodluck to the contestants, writing isn't easy, maybe thinking up the story is, but penning it down, is a different ball game..

As for me, I've got no 'serious' book of rules, little things impress mewink
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 2:21pm On Sep 26, 2013
Efemena_xy: Hello All,

Suspense – Same as above

Typographical Errors
Capitalization
All Punctuation
Sentence Structure
Verb-Tense Consistency
Redundancy
(Head Hopping)
Story Structure:

~ Imagery of Scenes
~ Character Development

First prize $100
Second prize $50
Third prize $20

Goodluck!
Jekyll & Hyde:
Mazi,

Please, strike out my name. I won't be able to submit any story.

Thanks. smiley
Jekyll,did Efe scare you? lol
Me sef fear her ooo.. embarassed embarassed Hian!!!
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 26, 2013
Kslib:

Jekyll,did Efe scare you? lol
Me sef fear her ooo.. embarassed embarassed Hian!!!
All izz well!

Lol. Scare? Nah, she typed like an editor.

No fear. You can do it. wink

Thinking of it, I'd love to read his (her) works. There's something else I need help with.
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 2:31pm On Sep 26, 2013
Jekyll & Hyde:

Lol. Scare? Nah, she typed like an editor.

No fear. You can do it. wink

Thinking of it, I'd love to read his (her) works. There's something else I need help with.
I just dey joke.. Dont pull out nah.. undecided
Help? What is it?
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 26, 2013
Kslib:
I just dey joke.. Dont pull out nah.. undecided
Help? What is it?
All izz well!

Hahaha, okay. I thought as much. Lol, I have to. I no go finish am. I can't deal with myself if I don't finish something. embarassed

Na one writing ish sha. Lemme read his (her) works first and I'll decide. grin

You don start?
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 2:52pm On Sep 26, 2013
Jekyll & Hyde:

Hahaha, okay. I thought as much. Lol, I have to. I no go finish am. I can't deal with myself if I don't finish something. embarassed

You don start?
Exactly!! Just finish what you started cos trust me,immediately submission ends,that feeling of guilt will start eating you up on why you didnt go ahead with your work..
Me sef,i wan go check her work make i see..

I never start my own oo.. Na the idea i still dey figure out and the symmetry wey e go follow.. Hopefully,by evening or tomorrow,i go start and finish...
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:34pm On Sep 26, 2013
Jekyll & Hyde:

You don start?
hi, here is one of Efe's something, something, hope it helps sha.

https://www.nairaland.com/1189817/nairaland-writers-collaboration

Enjoy.
Re: Short Story Competition by MissFibre(f): 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2013
Wow!!!... Ehm... I look forward to seeing the first person to drop his story. shocked

Stakes too high.
Re: Short Story Competition by Ishilove: 6:39pm On Sep 26, 2013
Miss_Fibre: Wow!!!... Ehm... I look forward to seeing the first person to drop his story. shocked

Stakes too high.
Then build yourself to meet the stakes
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 8:15pm On Sep 26, 2013
See as all the contestants are waiting for who will break the icecheesy C'mon guys, you didn't write that story for your personal viewing. Post it already.

Go Missy! I'm cheering alreadycheesy
Re: Short Story Competition by repogirl(f): 8:23pm On Sep 26, 2013
Wow, Miss Efe, I have definitely taken down notes from your list of requirements up there for use when I'm going over my work.

writers, no fear, just calm down and enjoy yourself. For me, humour is a plus, witty, suspenseful and thrilling story lines. Make me believe your story, I want to fall in love with your characters, romance writers, that's my genre grin, so do it right....or else ..... &gt;sad smiley

also when writing short stories like this, be sure to start with a bang, if you can't catch my attention in the first few paragraphs, I might toss it away o.

good luck guys, may the best man/ woman win.
Re: Short Story Competition by An0nimus: 8:25pm On Sep 26, 2013
I'm not one of the contestants but reading Efe's post put me on edge too lol. This is very serious business and I can only wish the writers goodluck. Well done Mazi.

Maybe its too late for this question but what if the writers send their stuff to an email address and everything is submitted on a set date?
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 8:28pm On Sep 26, 2013
An0nimus:
Maybe its too late for this question but what if the writers send their stuff to an email address and everything is submitted on a set date?

Yea, you're right. Its a bit late now to start changing the goal post. But all recommendations will be given due consideration during subsequent editions. It will only get better.

Thanks.
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 9:03pm On Sep 26, 2013
My views- My opinion- Speaking for my self
on d 10,000 words ish, is it 4 this maiden edition or subsequent edition, cos if it for this one, there will be a slight prob, the first range of words that was given was 1,500 words b4 it was upped to 2,500 so writers would have built their storyline and characters on that, so how do we fit in seven thousands five hundred without doing d unimportant! ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (41) (Reply)

The Madam At The Top / The Preacher's Son III: Diary Of A Player / Sophia Amaka's Story: Accidental Baby Mama(a Fan Fiction)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.