Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,440 members, 7,954,741 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 08:17 AM

The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria (5054 Views)

"We Found Stockpiles Of Dollars, Not Arms In AK Govt. House” — Official / 20 Militants Surrender Arms In Akwa-Ibom / Nigerians Need The Right To Bear Arms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by Symphony007: 9:15am On Sep 20, 2013
alexis:

So, owning a gun is illegal in Nigeria?
yes, owning a gun is illegal in nigeria. There was a time permits were given but it discontinued along the line. Nigeria is a gravely instable country, guns will just worsen the whole thing.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 9:17am On Sep 20, 2013
Symphony007: yes, owning a gun is illegal in nigeria. There was a time permits were given but it discontinued along the line. Nigeria is a gravely instable country, guns will just worsen the whole thing.

Where is your source of information?
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by collynzo2(m): 9:19am On Sep 20, 2013
Americans are looking for a way to repeal their right to own guns because of its abuse and someone here is suggesting we start owning guns in Nigeria? A country where even trained policemen and military men have not been able to handle their guns responsibly.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by collynzo2(m): 9:22am On Sep 20, 2013
As insecure as Nigeria is, at least I can still walk on the streets without fear of a frustrated someone opening fire on me.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 9:29am On Sep 20, 2013
collynzo2: Americans are looking for a way to repeal their right to own guns because of its abuse and someone here is suggesting we start owning guns in Nigeria? A country where even trained policemen and military men have not been able to handle their guns responsibly.

Please do more research before you post. Americans are not repealing their right to own guns smiley. The debate is on assault rifle and if it should be sold to civilians or not. The 2nd amendment in the US is not going away. My question again is simple - does a Nigerian have the right to own a gun legally?

I believe I found the answer - YES

[url]http://www.nigeria-law.org/Firearms%20Act.htm[/url]

The technicality is another issue
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 9:30am On Sep 20, 2013
collynzo2: As insecure as Nigeria is, at least I can still walk on the streets without fear of a frustrated someone opening fire on me.

You should go to Borno state and take a stroll there at night
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 9:32am On Sep 20, 2013
Hello Alexis, you are correct that a bolt-action rifle of any caliber is perfectly legal for civilian ownership in Nigeria, and thus easily lisenced. You can bring in your own telescopic sight from the West, but you will then need to find a remote rural area in which to do the shooting that will be required to properly zero in a new scope/rifle combination. I have never heard of the existence a civilian rifle range in Nigeria, though there may be a few, ahem, "unofficial" gun ranges out there in the sticks.

Regarded as an "old school" weapon by most Nigerians, a legally-owned bolt-action rifle can be transported EMPTY, in the trunk of your car, and raise no eyebrows when police see it there during your travels. A well-zeroed bolt-action rifle and telescope combination could pick off banditos manning a roadblock along a desolate stretch of highway with great precision, long before they can get close enough to do any damage with their spray-and-pray AK shooting style. Seeking a good rifle in Nigeria, you could put word out among the expatriate community there, because every once in a while someone departs Nigeria for good, and prefers to sell off their 'scoped big game hunting rifle, rather than go through the hassle of transporting it back to the West.

For your home defence needs, your choice of settling on a tactical pump-action shotgun is a wise and pragmatic one. Twelve-guage ammo is readily available all over Nigeria, and you can have any load you want, as long as it is buckshot ha ha.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 9:44am On Sep 20, 2013
Jakumo

Hello Alexis, you are correct that a bolt-action rifle of any caliber is perfectly legal for civilian ownership in Nigeria, and thus easily lisenced. You can bring in your own telescopic sight from the West, but you will then need to find a remote rural area in which to do the shooting that will be required to properly zero in a new scope/rifle combination. I have never heard of the existence a civilian rifle range in Nigeria, though there may be a few, ahem, "unofficial" gun ranges out there in the sticks.

Yeah, I wonder why there are no ranges in Nigeria even if they used blank bullets for target practice smiley

Regarded as an "old school" weapon by most Nigerians, a legally-owned bolt-action rifle can be transported EMPTY, in the trunk of your car, and raise no eyebrows when police see it there during your travels. A well-zeroed bolt-action rifle and telescope combination could pick off banditos manning a roadblock along a desolate stretch of highway with great precision, long before they can get close enough to do any damage with their spray-and-pray AK shooting style. Seeking a good rifle in Nigeria, you could put word out among the expattriate community there, because every once in in a while someone departs Nigeria for good, and prefers to sell off their 'scoped big game hunting rifle, rather than go through the hassle of transporting it back to the West.

You are so right mate

For your home defence needs, your choice of settling on a tactical pump-action shotgun is a wise and pragmatic one. Twelve-guage ammo is readily available all over Nigeria, and you can have any load you want, as long as it is buckshot ha ha.

Again, you have provided excellent advice and I thank you very very very much
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by Symphony007: 10:31am On Sep 20, 2013
Guns in nigeria is a capital NO! If the poster loves guns so much, move to the u.s southern or mid western states were an individual can even own a bazooka, talk less of AR-15 and AK-47. In iowa blind people can now own guns....but also be ready to die, incase you find yourself in a movie theatre,park,office,etc,,were a mass shooting takes place.
Re: The Right To Bear Arms In Nigeria by alexis(m): 10:35am On Sep 20, 2013
Symphony007: Guns in nigeria is a capital NO! If the poster loves guns so much, move to the u.s southern or mid western states were an individual can even own a bazooka, talk less of AR-15 and AK-47. In iowa blind people can now own guns....but also be ready to die, incase you find yourself in a movie theatre,park,office,etc,,were a mass shooting takes place.

Bros, cool down. It is legal to own a gun in Nigeria - [url]http://www.nigeria-law.org/Firearms%20Act.htm[/url]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tinubu Flown To London For Medical Treatment / I Want To Resign Buhari Cries On Phonecall AUDIO / 2019: God Will Remove Buhari — Olusegun Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.